• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

Toki767

So my brother upgraded the game on our ps4 from the ps3 version for $10.

Today I went to play it for the first time, and it is saying that the game is locked, and my PSN id/account doesn't have the rights to run it, even though we are on the same system?

He can play my copies Resogun/Contrast fine, as they are under my PS+ account, but I can't seem to play AC4 for the life of me.

Anyone know what's going on??

It seems really weird that'd they would limit it to one user...

Did he mark the PS4 as his primary PS4 device?

dcx4610

One thing I REALLY disliked about AC3 was the unstable and low FPS, what is the FPS like on the ps4 for AC IV?

That literally will determine whether I buy it or not.

30fps locked from what I've played so far. I haven't really noticed any dips. 60 would obviously be better but once you see the worlds and areas, they are pretty massive. It's a big jump from all of the others.

Muffdraul

you're making fun of us for waiting ONE DAY longer than you? seriously?

You're focusing on the time*. I'm focusing on the reason... which I just can't take seriously. I'm not trying to be an asshole or a prick. But I'd be lying if I denied that I find it funny that people are pointing at the new pics and claiming there is anything more than a very minor visible improvement.

*And anyway, going by your logic that you tried to shame me with, you waited 21 days longer than I did. Not "ONE".

-griffy-

Banned

Today I went to play it for the first time, and it is saying that the game is locked, and my PSN id/account doesn't have the rights to run it, even though we are on the same system?

He can play my copies Resogun/Contrast fine, as they are under my PS+ account, but I can't seem to play AC4 for the life of me.

I believe PS+ works for any account on a single PS4. You only need it on one account, but it functions for any of them, so any PS+ games would be available to any account on that system. Assassin's Creed IV is not a PS+ game though, and as such is only activated on the account that "purchased" the game.

I was CONVINCED this gen would be defined by platform parity from the start. No way would any publishers want to piss off Microsoft. And why devote any extra dev time?

Platform parity conspiracies crack me up. It would take MORE work coding to try to achieve parity. The hardware is very similar except the X1 is about 30% less powerful, so by default it's just not going to run as well. Even if a developer forced their PS4 game to run at 720p maximum, you'd still see much more solid framerates on PS4.

Put the tinfoil hats away.

Yeah did a mod change it? Super weird.

people were initially confused because it said, "now with bars to fill in 1080p!" and people started posting asking if the game was supposed to have black bars like the movie format or something. So it got changed again to clarify that it was not alluding to black bars on the screen, but rather the HP/whatever bars the game uses to indicate health and...whatever the hell else.

It's still awkward, but yea.

Ubisoft open world games like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry are often derided for being shallow, repetitive "bar filling" chores.

Watch_Dogs was receiving the same pre-release derision before it was delayed.

Ahhhh right. Now it makes sense. Don't entirely agree, but it makes sense.

You're focusing on the time. I'm focusing on the reason... which I just can't take seriously. I'm not trying to be an asshole or a prick. But I'd be lying if I denied that I find it funny that people are pointing at the new pics and claiming there is anything more than a very minor visible improvement.
Dude, I'm literally half blind and I can see the difference. It's very possible that you may need to have an eye doctor appointment.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

is it a disc copy for PS3? Do you have the PS3 disc in the system if it is?

You're focusing on the time. I'm focusing on the reason... which I just can't take seriously. I'm not trying to be an asshole or a prick. But I'd be lying if I denied that I find it funny that people are pointing at the new pics and claiming there is anything more than a very minor visible improvement.

I find it incredibly insulting that you laugh at people who waited for this patch. You didn't care. Great. Stop telling us how hilarious we are for waiting for this. We knew an improvement was coming so decided to wait just a bit longer (for a game we'd already waited a couple of weeks to play with better graphics). Ha fucking ha.

Grief.exe

Ubisoft: http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-in-native-1080p-on-playstation-4/

Marking yet another milestone for the killer franchise, Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag on the PlayStation 4 is the first Assassin’s Creed game to be rendered in true native 1080p

I remember playing Assassin's Creed II at 1440p years ago...

I tried skimming through the thread but couldn't find it... I know Xbox One gets the AA but what resolution does it run at? (native)

My guess would be 720p-900p.

Looks like even PC folks are having trouble getting constant 60

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719117

Assassin's Creed games are always poorly optimized, but especially the latest iterations. Ubisoft just doesn't care about PC gamers.

They wonder why we don't buy their products. They force their DRM client on us that requires an online check-in to launch our games, launch later than consoles, and they do not bother to optimize properly.

Oni Jazar

well, the PC version is capable of 60fps+, downsampling, and more AA options.

So no, we don't need PC comparisions unless you want to make people in here feel bad that they don't have a PC to run it like PC gamers can. Let's just be happy with this, shall we?

It's meaningful and noticeable, not huge. It's not game-changing or something like 60fps would have been. It does look objectively better now, which is a nice thing.

The bars reference is from upgrading things like your ship in the game where there are bars to fill and the 1080p patch is filling in a bar (upgrading).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That's your opinion.

1440000 / 2073600 = 0.694

1600 x 900 only renders 70% of the pixels as 1920 x 1080. I think it's a pretty substantial difference, and I definitely notice it. Whether or not you think it's worth waiting or not is your own decision, but I don't see how you can find it "funny" that people are willing to wait for something better. It's not like the gameplay is going to get worse by waiting a couple of days.

Much bigger IQ jump than I expected with 900p to 1080p. These screens only make the 720p v. 1080p threads that more mind numbing. I still don't understand how a few months ago when it was just simply a given that everything MS and Sony were going to throw at us was going to be 1080p 30/60fps. It was so expected of this gen, journalists immediatly brushed it aside as it was not even worth discussing and some how even insulting as a bullet point in any developer press conference.

Now the cards are being dealt and we all have to pretend not to notice or we are pedant wankers, or if we have the ability to both tell the obvious gaps between 900p and 1080p, let alone 720p to 1080p, and that we, *gasp* prefer having higher resolutions to support the native res of our HDTVs. What a bunch of fuckwads we are!

PS - I don't own either new console, but all of my displays in my house, PC and TV are 1080p and I don't have glaucoma so I appreciate games at that resolution. It has made jumping between PS3 and PC hard. I was expecting/hoping to leave that gap behind with the console refresh.

If I was claiming I didn't the difference, you might have a point. I see it, I don't deny it. But it's minor.
I'm not sure how you can look at the examples being posted and claim it's minor though; the 1080p shots have very noticeably more clarity, especially when you focus on distant objects. This makes sense, of course, because you have more pixels to represent objects.

I'm not even saying your opinion is wrong, I'm saying that maybe you legitimately have eye issues.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Much bigger IQ jump than I expected with 900p to 1080p. These screens only make the 720p v. 1080p threads that more mind numbing. I still don't understand how a few months ago when it was just simply a given that everything MS and Sony were going to throw at us was going to be 1080p 30/60fps. It was so expected of this gen, journalists immediatly brushed it aside as it was not even worth discussing and some how even insulting as a bullet point in any developer press conference.

Now the cards are being dealt and we all have to pretend not to notice or we are pedant wankers, or if we have the ability to both tell the obvious gaps between 900p and 1080p, let alone 720p to 1080p, and that we, *gasp* prefer having higher resolutions to support the native res of our HDTVs. What a bunch of fuckwads we are!

People need to stop focusing on just the 720, 900, and 1080 and actually calculate the full resolution.

720p (921600 pixels) / 1080p (2073600 pixels) = 0.444

900p (1440000 pixels) / 1080p (2073600 pixels) = 0.694

Both are substantially less than full 1080p. Most people typically don't scoff at 30% less or damn near 60% less of a thing.

dammmmn this looks a lot better imo. My son was sailing the seas on launch day but I've been waiting for the patch. Just played the first 30 minutes and it looks so good.

damn you're right. :O

Though I must admit, I don't think I ever got a single AC game running on my PC (I have AC1, 2, and Brotherhood) flawlessly at 60fps. There would always be a little fps dip here and there. Usually when going up on the perches and syncronizing. When the camera pans around the entire area it would dip.

Muffdraul

I'm not sure how you can look at the examples being posted and claim it's minor though; the 1080p shots have very noticeably more clarity, especially when you focus on distant objects. This makes sense, of course, because you have more pixels to represent objects.

I'm not even saying your opinion is wrong, I'm saying that maybe you legitimately have eye issues.

The 1080p shots do show a slight improvement in clarity and detail. That much I can agree with.

I go the eye doctor regularly and my vision is fine, thanks for you concern.

bombshell

If he used the included voucher code to upgrade to a digital PS4 version, then you need to have the PS3 disc in the PS4 in order to play.

Teddified

Uplay down for anyone else?

Yeah it was down when I was playing earlier, the one wireless signal icon on the bottom left by the minimap was black and it confused me for a bit. Then I found out it's because I wasn't connected to Uplay. And it never came back while I played for about 2 hours.

Rad-

Did they not use AA or something? I hate jaggies more than anything and that 1080p pic still has pretty visible ones. Or is it just the pic compression? It's actually weird because the 900p one seems to have less jaggies...

Gaz_RB

Yeah it was down when I was playing earlier, the one wireless signal icon on the bottom left by the minimap was black and it confused me for a bit. Then I found out it's because I wasn't connected to Uplay. And it never came back while I played for about 2 hours.

Same.
I restarted AC4 and it's working for me now, try that.

The 1080p shots do show a slight improvement in clarity and detail. That much I can agree with.

I go the eye doctor regularly and my vision is fine, thanks for you concern.
No problem, you're luckier than you realise.

It's very noticeable in my opinion though, especially when you see the comparison in gif form. We probably just differ in opinion on what the word slight means.

kaskade

Did they not use AA or something? I hate jaggies more than anything and that 1080p pic still has pretty visible ones. Or is it just the pic compression? It's actually weird because the 900p one seems to have less jaggies...

Jaggies always look more pronounced to me in screenshots. When the game is in motion they don't seem to be as noticeable.

I remember playing Assassin's Creed II at 1440p years ago...

My guess would be 720p-900p.

Assassin's Creed games are always poorly optimized, but especially the latest iterations. Ubisoft just doesn't care about PC gamers.

They wonder why we don't buy their products. They force their DRM client on us that requires an online check-in to launch our games, launch later than consoles, and they do not bother to optimize properly.

its so dumb. the new advil engine or w/e is just shit in general. old AC games ran fine for the most part (besides the breakdancing shadows), and heck splinter cell blacklist which is on UE3 ran great on pc, so ubisoft can do good stuff.

Watch_dogs is gonna murder most rigs next year for sure.

Logash

PS4 is awesome. I went on Neogaf to check the happenings and found out the patch went out. Turned on my PS4 and it was already downloaded. I love next generation.

Doran902

ive already played 50 percent of the game, so i can't wait to get home and see how much more gorgeous they made this already awesome game

system11

The 900P one is blurred into oblivion by comparison, that's why. I'm checking it on the bigger screen now and it's comparable to waking up in the morning and blinking a few times before the world comes into focus. I'm really excited for the EU launch now, I have the 'Buccaneer Edition' on order.

Ubisoft said:
But why ship at 900p in the first place? To meet an essential goal: deliver a visually brilliant game at a steady 30 frames per second (the industry gold standard for open-world games)

Gold standard my arse. It's the absolute bare minimum we should expect from any genre.

Grief.exe

its so dumb. the new advil engine or w/e is just shit in general. old AC games ran fine for the most part (besides the breakdancing shadows), and heck splinter cell blacklist which is on UE3 ran great on pc, so ubisoft can do good stuff.

Watch_dogs is gonna murder most rigs next year for sure.

Blacklist is actually UE2.5 believe it or not.

Top Bottom