• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assault Android Cactus |OT| Do Androids Dream of Bullet Hell? (Multiple platforms)

epmode

Any word on how the official soundtrack is? As in: bitrate and file type? Never bought an OST on Steam before, so I'm clueless about what store-wide precedent there is.

There's no precedent. Some developers include both flac and mp3, some only mp3. The best is when a dev only releases mp3 on Steam but includes flac+mp3 on Bandcamp, all for the same price.

Paz

There's no precedent. Some developers include both flac and mp3, some only mp3. The best is when a dev only releases mp3 on Steam but includes flac+mp3 on Bandcamp, all for the same price.

How is this usually handled when both are offered, along side or in a different directory?

We were mostly going by what the docs specify but can look in to it.

Edit - Right now we support MP3 on Steam at high bitrate, but we're going to update it to support FLAC as well if we can.

epmode

How is this usually handled when both are offered, along side or in a different directory?

The Talos Principle adds these four folders in the game's root:

Soundtrack_AAC
Soundtrack_FLAC
Soundtrack_OGG
Soundtrack_WMA

(Kinda weird that they don't have mp3s but they're easy enough to create)

Finally...

vcnxdwiuek.png

Beat Collider with Liquorice, but I'm going to replay it with Cactus eventually since it's indeed possible to dodge her Vorpal Blade with the weapon swapping animation. Makes dealing with a lot more manageable and you need every advantage you can get your grubby hands on to focus on the weaker enemies. Took me a really long time however, and S+ on Boss Rush is going to be a daunting challenge too.

We were mostly going by what the docs specify but can look in to it.

Edit - Right now we support MP3 on Steam at high bitrate, but we're going to update it to support FLAC as well if we can.
Hmm, alright. If need be I'll just be looking to buy it off of Bandcamp instead.

That bad?
You should try to record your Boss Rush. I'll gladly watched it.
For S+ it's downright gruelling. Doable, but you have to be spot-on for a relatively speaking very long time. Only gotten to the last boss once so far - but on the bright side I'm doing better than yesterday - and the last two bosses have the most phases out of the bunch. It's an exhausting endeavour.

I'm recording all of it, so it'll be a matter of time before I have something worth sharing.

epmode

Any chance of adding an invert vertical option for the FPS mode? Unless I just missed it.

edit: I did miss it! It was in the Game Options menu, not Options.

Apathy

Congrats Paz, i have wanted this game to come out and I'm glad that the console versions are looking at a release window. I can't wait.

KDR_11k

It's purely based on dustruction, x amount of destroyed robot value = new battery spawns so shoot all the things :)

Cactus is a damage efficiency puzzle wrapped in a shmup skin.

Is the "damage until next battery" visible anywhere? Without that info it feels very arbitrary. Especially when you have the battery indicator beeping at you and there's nothing you can do about it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Medulla........... ugh ugh ugh ugh

can't beat her, any advice? good characters to use etc?

Paz

Is the "damage until next battery" visible anywhere? Without that info it feels very arbitrary. Especially when you have the battery indicator beeping at you and there's nothing you can do about it.

It's not visible because we never want people thinking about any of the systems under the hood, the only goal should be to do as much damage as possible as fast as possible (this is the whole goal of the entire game in all stages/modes/etc).

You can't game the systems so we didn't want to burden people with superfluous information, and we also have many sub systems at play and some special things that happen when you're on the beeping part of low battery.

Even if every code variable and systems in Cactus was public though the answer to the 'what's the best thing to do' question would always be to destroy more things in a shorter amount of time than you were before.

Use your secondary a lot, consider every second it is on max cooldown as lost damage, though in the final phase you are always at max primary weapon level so it's less of a dps concern there.

Weapon Swap invul frames can be used to dodge fast moving attacks, hop through them.

Which phase are you stuck on?

Been playing game for a while now and finally finished up my review. Hats off to Team Witch Beam on this game, it's freaking fantastic.

The Outerhaven's Assault Android Cactus review - 9.9/10

I already mentioned via email but I'm so glad you dug it :)

Invincibility frames via weapon swapping are a big help for the 'bullet hell' sections once you figured out the timing, and usage of your secondary weapon in general (provided it does upfront damage) is quite important too, especially if you trigger an EMP. I put up a video in this post if that'll be of further assistance.

Paz

finally saved up 5k

someone give me a reason why i shouldn't unlock FPS mode

Because isoemtric is more fun :)

And i-frames on all things are indicated with a white sheen around your character, weapon swapping (to/from) have a small amount (it's mentioned as a dodge in the tutorial) and blue shutdowns are invuln for ages, also invul on getup.

iosefe

Because isoemtric is more fun :)

And i-frames on all things are indicated with a white sheen around your character, weapon swapping (to/from) have a small amount (it's mentioned as a dodge in the tutorial) and blue shutdowns are invuln for ages, also invul on getup.

damn, already bought FPS mode, wild ride so far. i can't wait to try Iso mode, gonna take a while to do. i've got high hopes for it now.

those i-frames are probably why punching into swarms isn't bad. thanks for putting them in

*EDIT* oh my god! Splitscreen fps mode.

awesome

Paz

damn, already bought FPS mode, wild ride so far. i can't wait to try Iso mode, gonna take a while to do. i've got high hopes for it now.

those i-frames are probably why punching into swarms isn't bad. thanks for putting them in

*EDIT* oh my god! Splitscreen fps mode.

awesome

Long runs in Infininty Drive are great for credits earning, or earning higher ranks on levels you previously cleared on low ranks. Good luck :)

iosefe

Long runs in Infininty Drive are great for credits earning, or earning higher ranks on levels you previously cleared on low ranks. Good luck :)

gracias. will still take at least a couple days.

once again, fantastic game. i've been spreading word best i can

Maintain an S+ chain all the way up to Medulla in Boss Rush, choke when push comes to shove little over halfway during its last phase.

wrtubsfwhb.jpg

At least there's some solace to be had in reaching Medulla considerably more frequently than yesterday, but god damn what a stressful affair.

aacallcheevosces48.png

sbossrusht3sbe.png

Actually nailing Boss Rush this time around (video as Cactus here) was such an adrenaline rush. Five bosses divided into 30+ phases (if I recall correctly) in one sitting with numerous factors constantly needing to be taken into account for optimal strategies is overwhelming pressure at times, but the victory tasted ever so sweet after who knows how many botched attempts. Might even look into speedrunning this now (albeit on a casual basis) to see if it'll be engaging enough, because now there's no main objective for me to be gunning for anymore with all stages previously completed and aced at S+ rank.

Paz, props to you and the rest of Witch Beam for making an outstanding game. I rarely get this hooked.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Use your secondary a lot, consider every second it is on max cooldown as lost damage, though in the final phase you are always at max primary weapon level so it's less of a dps concern there.

Weapon Swap invul frames can be used to dodge fast moving attacks, hop through them.

Which phase are you stuck on?

Invincibility frames via weapon swapping are a big help for the 'bullet hell' sections once you figured out the timing, and usage of your secondary weapon in general (provided it does upfront damage) is quite important too, especially if you trigger an EMP. I put up a video in this post if that'll be of further assistance.

I'm stuck on the second last part, the laser bear thing, which puts out laser grid sentries. Can't seem to wipe it before running out of battery

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
This game is truly phenomenal in every way. Been playing it for months on PC.

Best I can describe is like a missing gem from the hayday of Dreamcast.
That's a really good description actually.

Game has my ringing endorsement 5/5. I've played 30 hours and hold/held a couple top 5 spots and still #1 on one of the co-ops. It's tight, you are in control of everything even if it seems you aren't, and it just plays so damn well.

Shaneus

Updated the reviews section of the OP, added Amir0x's ever-so-generous giveaway and threw in some GAF impressions too in lieu of big-name gaming sites actually giving the game some coverage. I'll continue to update the GAF impressions, so if you have any feel free to continue posting them here!

I'm stuck on the second last part, the laser bear thing, which puts out laser grid sentries. Can't seem to wipe it before running out of battery
Taking out those laser grid beacons is key to whittling him down quickly, since after the first one they drop power-ups. Using your secondary weapon whenever he's vulnerable, be it during one of his long wind-up or slow turning animations OR when you EMP him, is also important. Just gotta look out for those rotating blades since they're a little unpredictable in their pathing but usually they don't stick too close to the boss.

Shaneus

Finally, the first "big" site review (not to take away from all the other sites that each did an amazing job!) of AAC from IGN: 8.8

Congrats to the Witch Beam guys! Very well done :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Taking out those laser grid beacons is key to whittling him down quickly, since after the first one they drop power-ups. Using your secondary weapon whenever he's vulnerable, be it during one of his long wind-up or slow turning animations OR when you EMP him, is also important. Just gotta look out for those rotating blades since they're a little unpredictable in their pathing but usually they don't stick too close to the boss.

Thanks. I guess a big part of why I struggle a bit could be reduced to still being a bit of a scrub. I've reached the final stage two times now, and on both of those I just melted through the second final stage in almost no time. Alas, since I'm not 100% familiar with the mechanics (especially timing of cool-downs of secondary weapon, time limit between weapon switching etc), I'm not quite sure why. But it seems not getting hit at all is very important, mostly not to lose power-up along the way?

Thanks. I guess a big part of why I struggle a bit could be reduced to still being a bit of a scrub. I've reached the final stage two times now, and on both of those I just melted through the second final stage in almost no time. Alas, since I'm not 100% familiar with the mechanics (especially timing of cool-downs of secondary weapon, time limit between weapon switching etc), I'm not quite sure why. But it seems not getting hit at all is very important, mostly not to lose power-up along the way?
Hit the nail on the head there. Go down for the count and you'll not only lose your currently active power-up (two out of three that is), but your primary firearm will also become less potent until you scrounge up enough of those white collectibles again. Keeping your weapon at max is a big difference for your DPS output, which is why as of late I aim for the speed boost more often than I did in the past due to how it pulls those in (as well the battery) for you like a magnet with a fairly large radius while it's active.

Paz

While not getting knocked down is important for high score runs and good damage output, I think a few knockdowns is easy to recover from in a level so long as you're using your secondary weapon.

Remember your secondary damage is consistent and doesn't scale a all, it's just as useful at the first second of a level as the last! Only your primary needs to be powered up, and loses those powerups when you get knocked down.

iosefe

I thought it's an android game.

When I checked what it was and saw local coop.. I was like "Omg gimme this now".

it's so good. Use any form of input with any other. 2 KB/m, a DS4 and a 360 pad?
3 DS4 and a KB? i'ts great

Co op is even supported in the unlockable FPS mode turning it into a split screen game.

Syril

How does the invulnerability work on Peanut's Giga Drill Lance? Sometimes I can go through projectiles without being hit with it, but other times I'll get knocked down mid-dash.

How does the invulnerability work on Peanut's Giga Drill Lance? Sometimes I can go through projectiles without being hit with it, but other times I'll get knocked down mid-dash.
Not sure if it's entirely true, but I'm under the impression she has additional invulnerability when you hit a target, especially one of the bigger enemy types.

Paz

She's invulnerable during the duration of drilling any enemy, but small enemies will die from the impact damage so realistically she's invulnerable while pushing big enemies.

She's not invulnerable while just zooming around, the idea was to promote players pushing big enemies through hordes of other enemies for the AOE damage.

She's invulnerable during the duration of drilling any enemy, but small enemies will die from the impact damage so realistically she's invulnerable while pushing big enemies.

She's not invulnerable while just zooming around, the idea was to promote players pushing big enemies through hordes of other enemies for the AOE damage.

Speaking of Peanut, I ran into a bug the other day and was able to recreate it. Only appears on this stage as far as I know. Basically if you drill into an email and it dies on the way to the wall, she'll keep going around the stage in a loop until to let go of the attack.

giphy.gif

iosefe

Speaking of Peanut, I ran into a bug the other day and was able to recreate it. Only appears on this stage as far as I know. Basically if you drill into an email and it dies on the way to the wall, she'll keep going around the stage in a loop until to let go of the attack.

giphy.gif
Sounds like a good problem to have. Try recreating it in FPS mode

Paz

Not a bug, she has glancing angles to avoid accidentally ending her drill attack too early, works in 100% of circular levels in the game and some players have found score attack uses for it :)

Top Bottom