• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

TJP

Second best selling? Is that on the front Steam page?
It was the number one sellling title when first released ;)

Beaten by Shaneus but here is the original screenshot when Assetto Corsa hit Steam:

topseller.JPG

*Taken from Race Department

p3tran

Banned
so, the best news about assetto, is that the developers have planned for this to be community modable 8)

I expect great things!

benzy

Been having fun! Lots of good, but a bunch of so-so as well.

I haven't tried all the cars yet, but a lot of you guys are right on point with the ones I have. X-Bow, 458, E92 I really liked. Not a fan of the L49. I consider it a bit of a benchmark car, and to me it feels like it exceeds the limits of the sim's physics. Stonking' fast, bad brakes, poor traction does not a L49 make! Maybe some setup work might help.

Anybody else getting the weird shaky tach/power delivery? I'm not getting great framerates, so I think it might be tied to that. I need to look into it.

@markao you can disable the penalties - AC/cfg/race.ini - ALLOWED_TYRES_OUT=1 (change from 2)

I haven't seen anyone mention the all important fov settings. They're +/- on your keyboard.

Looking forward to maybe doing some hotlap comps if people are interested. I'll ask tomorrow.

77780gufr.gif

Is that real life?

p3tran

Banned
Is that real life?

thats BT having fun right there! 8)
the Greek dude, Aristotelis, who does ...graphics AND ...physics, I guess i could take the fuckin'big risk and say that he is ...talented :D

ps
I wonder if/when online leaderboards/ghosts will drop. that should be ..niice :)

Don't be disappointed just yet. After quite a while tweaking and testing, I managed to get it driving REALLY well with a pad. Only problems are sensitivity with low-speed turning and countersteering, but it's just a matter of kinda relearning how to drive with a pad. It makes sense, but it's odd noticing that when countersteering in the past on consoles you could just flick the joystick the other way and you'd be set (pretty much)... relearning with this when you have to be super careful with it is tough, but satisfying.

Could I churn out perfect laps with it? Nah. But with zero assists (except I think for a teensy bit of stability control. Certainly nothing else) it was quite satisfying and I think if I gave it the time I could have just as satisfying an experience as if I was playing a game honed for the 360 pad, like Forza.

Perhaps other people here with pads and wheels can give their impressions with the following settings:
7lAo9SR.png

but like I said, once I understood how the settings worked, I was happy with the result :) Would I buy it if I didn't have a wheel? Really tough to say... I probably would. I'm sure that when I can't be fucked setting the wheel up, I'll still be firing it up for a few laps here or there.

Another thing to note as well, is that the gear shifts are actually tied to the animations, not when you press the button. I noticed that with the Elise (or was it the Exige? I dunno) as it was a stick, I had to change THEN release the trigger for an optimal shift, but with a paddle-shift car like the 458, I had to be a lot more realistic with my timing (this is with auto-clutch). Anyone else find that?

But still, fun as hell. Can't wait to try it with a wheel.

Hey, nice work!

I tried playing with the controller settings for Sean, and other folks who might be interested as well. I didn't come up with anything I felt as good about as you did, so I'm interested in what you've got. I might even dip into the ini to fine tune even more. I think there will be a higher than average number of people looking to play with sticks, so it's worth trying to suss out.

I really like that the controller settings are totally independent of the wheel and pedals. If I had to re-cal my shit every time, I don't think I'd be as eager!

Zeth

I tried those controller settings, seems much better than default. I'm making the transition from casually dipping in the F1 games to more serious sims, but my wheel setup is still a month or so away.

The graphics seem strange. None of the AA options really help the terrible aliasing, and the performance is all over the place. I expected to be able to downsample from 1800P or at least 1440, but those resolutions produce unexpectedly poor framerates. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. 680 + 3570k here.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Been having fun! Lots of good, but a bunch of so-so as well.

I haven't tried all the cars yet, but a lot of you guys are right on point with the ones I have. X-Bow, 458, E92 I really liked. Not a fan of the L49. I consider it a bit of a benchmark car, and to me it feels like it exceeds the limits of the sim's physics. Stonking' fast, bad brakes, poor traction does not a L49 make! Maybe some setup work might help.

Anybody else getting the weird shaky tach/power delivery? I'm not getting great framerates, so I think it might be tied to that. I need to look into it.

@markao you can disable the penalties - AC/cfg/race.ini - ALLOWED_TYRES_OUT=1 (change from 2)

I haven't seen anyone mention the all important fov settings. They're +/- on your keyboard.

Looking forward to maybe doing some hotlap comps if people are interested. I'll ask tomorrow.

77780gufr.gif

holy shit. that has to be the most true to life looking racer i've ever seen. ignoring the graphics, the way the car moves is just.... amazing.

LCfiner

soooo… anyone else bought this and get a complete crash of the assettocorsa.exe launcher form steam before the game even starts?

I’m looking around their forums and the steam forums and have not found my problem exactly. but some similar ones.

this is really ridiculous. game doesn’t even get a chance to load. something something PC gaming.

Seanspeed

Banned
Thanks for the controller impressions. Seems a tad risky to buy at the moment still. Shaneus, you seem to have done some patchwork configuring, but I don't know if I can buy a game relying on that. The problems with countersteering could be quite big for me as I drive hard and will be teetering on and slightly over the limits quite often.

That they have independent settings for a controller is a good sign that they're committed to it, though. I'll maybe give it a bit of time. Still early days. Meanwhile, I'll be looking around wheels and pedals.

Anyways, I see impressions about the cars, but what about the tracks? How are the road surfaces? People mention aliasing, but do the environments look quite good otherwise? What sort of modes are there? How is the tuning? Is there any customization? Keep the impressions coming!

bee

SO glad it's lived up to the ridiculous hype surrounding it, still at number 2 in top sellers on steam too and well deserved. it really does look and play like a dream, first mod i want is 3d trees, will it have steam workshop support? anyway congrats kunos, best sim around imo

For those of you with AA issues (which is probably everyone), the following worked for me:

-go to steam/steamapps/assettocorsa/cfg
-open 'video'
-under [VIDEO] set AASAMPLES=8
-under [EFFECTS] set FXAA=4

It seems to have solved the AA problem for many people (although not all).

bee

no aa problems here, in 2d i use 4xmsaa and injected smaa, definitely looks better than the in game fxaa

LCfiner

so, my launch crash error was fixed by quitting the radeon pro app.

at 1080p, the game runs at approx 30 fps on my 15-2500 and 7950 (over clocked to hell, tho). game is really aliased at this point (even with 4X msaa on) but at least the driving feels realistic.

I tried changing resolution down to 1600x900 to see how the framerate would increase and the game has no upscaling support so now my TV has a blank screen and I need to force quit out of it to change the resolution again. I suppose i’ll try 720p now. early access, yup.

p3tran

Banned
soooo… anyone else bought this and get a complete crash of the assettocorsa.exe launcher form steam before the game even starts?

I’m looking around their forums and the steam forums and have not found my problem exactly. but some similar ones.

this is really ridiculous. game doesn’t even get a chance to load. something something PC gaming.
sign out and close the steam completely.
I'm not sure if we had exactly the same thing happened.. but what happened in my case was after the redeem process, it went to a wait cursor, crashed, and then on steam assetto corsa page it would say "you bought this game, "play"", the game was not in the library and pressing the play button did nothing other than changing the cursor....

So I rebooted steam a couple of times and it finally worked. and it sure was faster than waiting for a response to the email I send to steam support...

SO glad it's lived up to the ridiculous hype surrounding it, still at number 2 in top sellers on steam too and well deserved. it really does look and play like a dream, first mod i want is 3d trees, will it have steam workshop support? anyway congrats kunos, best sim around imo

I have spoken with Aristotelis some months ago, and it was very clear to me that they plan for this to thrive on community mods. so it is reasonable to expect that they will provide/let use all the tools or whatever the community prefers.

even though I am sure it will become even better, what this one does that i find most other pc racing games LACKING, is how the engine handles the loss and regain of traction.
and while even this is not my bestest as it is now, I agree with you that it already is better.

anyway, lets hope this game become a BIG success, kunos makes a lot of money, and they support this and prepare their next one with budgets they deserve 8)

what gets me is that the car's rotation when trail-braking looks SO natural, though that's also attesting to BT's finesse on the pedals

what a gif

*Whistling while waiting for someone to point out I missed the true apex of the corner by a whole car width* The only finessing I did was finessing away a couple tenths! ;-)

p3tran

Banned
since I never do nothing for the guys here, I decided to get some menu screens for Sean, and whoever else might find them useful.
basically screens are options-related 'cause he asked that

ibdPhr3hS534PF.jpg

"Drive" screen
iRU6OJVxaYVdf.jpg

difficulty
ibwiA7HxIZp5dZ.jpg

time of day
i3iQ4vJpvfbPM.jpg

car selection (more options here, buy the game Sean to find out)
ibefSojQdawzIo.jpg

car setup menu - load/save car setups
jHGMoeKjCyc1f.jpg

tire type and tie pressure
jbjTCl4Wm4OGUv.jpg

camber, toe
jlQhqwa6fyLX2.jpg

and SeanSpeeds favorite future menu, datalogger
jKCPkOCW98dnm.jpg

here you will spend countless hours dropping my ghost data next to your data, and
you will scratch your head until you become bald like dan greenwalt :p

there are more menus and screens, having to do with tracks and events, but if you check the first pics you can basically see the entire top menu structure.
Personally, I find it clean, quick and effective.

Couldn't resist and bought it. BMW gif was the last straw. Waiting for steam to validate my purchase now. How well will i be able to run this game?

My computer is a G74sx laptop from Asus, with a GTX560m, 2gb of video ram, 8gb or regular ram, i7 2660 if i'm not mistaken.

Can i get 720p medium effects? I just want smooth 60fps, even if it means i have to turn all effects off.

Hey, if anyone sees any complaints/fixes for shaky tach/power, send me in that direction. I don't know wtf is going on. I'm pretty sure it wasn't always like this. Oddly, in neutral it doesn't happen.

Here, see:

89654zcjc5.gif

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh nice petran, thanks. Looks great. Telemetry is definitely awesome.

And Big Takeover, maybe you should lay off the coffee?

p3tran

Banned
its not the needle. its his foot!!

edit: seattle, on my office laptop, it has a gtx660m and it run 1080/60 2aa hdr.
hope this helps to estimate, but game is not a resource hog.

also, anybody that knows how to run at full stretched screen when rendering at 720, tell him ahead.
at least in my case, dropping the rendering res does actually render in a smaller, centered window with black borders around... surely this could be changed..

jimforspeed

Neo Member
Some gifs. Excuse the low quality, I am just excited.

System and performance for anyone insterested:
Phenom 965, GT630 DDR3, 4GB RAM, I get average 45fps (sometimes >50) at 720p, everything at low (maybe some 2x AF).

ac319kgk.gif

ac2j0dgd.gif

ac4yuebp.gif

disap.ed

Bought this too. Only driven the KTM so far but it is great fun (a bit understeery though)!
What's really missing in these gifs is tire smoke, probably wasn't top priority for the team because you don't see it anyways in the cockpit.

OK, I did see over on the official forum others with the same problem. Somebody guessed the clutch was engaging, and for me that was it. Dirty pot? Not sure, but I disabled it for now.

Decaf, here I come! Couple of jaggovs, you two! lol

Performance is ok for, but I wonder what would happen with more cars on screen.

GTX680 OC
16GB RAM
3770k @ 4,2

1080p + 4xMSAA. Everything maxed besides Faces at 2 and Cube medium. Getting a constant 60fps with this. With downsampling the fps take a hit, especially in replays or when a lot of smoke is on screen.

no aa problems here, in 2d i use 4xmsaa and injected smaa, definitely looks better than the in game fxaa

What injector did you use for SMAA? It doesn't work for me.

Zafir

Looks cool, but I think I may wait a bit with how many games are coming out this autumn. Probably get it when they add more cares/tracks/features to it.

Korezo

I broke down and bought because I've been dying to play it, but why is this game running 7fps on my pc? Gtx580 i7 2600k 16gb ram...
And how do I enable the wheel.

OrangeOak

Is there a day/night cycle in this game and to what game(if any) would you guys compare its physics?
Sucks that it don't work well with pad because I don't have wheel at the moment.
It looks really nice though.

Business

I second this post. Hardly a surprise, but this sim rules them all, just fantastic.

I want this game even if my PC struggles at what they say is the minimum (I have a c2d 2.8 and GTX 260) it reminds me of the early days of live for speed, my old pc could run it on low to medium and I had hours of fun even in time trials, at the time it was awesome.

Need to wait for next pay day.

Shaneus

Hey, nice work!

I tried playing with the controller settings for Sean, and other folks who might be interested as well. I didn't come up with anything I felt as good about as you did, so I'm interested in what you've got. I might even dip into the ini to fine tune even more. I think there will be a higher than average number of people looking to play with sticks, so it's worth trying to suss out.

I really like that the controller settings are totally independent of the wheel and pedals. If I had to re-cal my shit every time, I don't think I'd be as eager!
You didn't try the settings I posted?

I didn't even think of diving into an ini, but I'm sure that could be tweaked a LOT to get it right. From tinkering, it felt like the engine *could* handle perfectly with a controller, but the options weren't there to tweak it even further (if that makes sense).

Any Italians here? What does Assetto Corsa mean?

Structured course? Track layout? Un po' di aiutare x favore!
k8vOwpb.png

No idea if that's right or not, but the name fits the game :)

BTW I just saw an update come through, anyone know what changed?

Korezo

How do I unpinn or remove damn hood of the screen? Also I finally got the image quality looking acceptable just buy putting random high numbered anti alasing settings on nvidia inspector but can only get 30-50fps now... Why is this game hogging so much resources? To me iRacing looks 1000x better and has perfect image quality and I can even down sample and still get 60fps.

Polyphony

I'm getting about 100 fps with a GTX 560Ti by removing motion blur, no HDR, cubemap res set to low and faces per frame set to 2. I need to add some SMAA to clean up the image a little, 4X MSAA doesn't seem to be enough.

TJP

BTW I just saw an update come through, anyone know what changed?
The 32.8MB update was to correct:

- "grey start" fixes
- Ctrl+O fix
- GUI fixes
- other minor issues fixes

Following this there was a 3.3MB and Kunos have stated on their official forum another update is coming today too.

After putting a few hours into the game I have to say it looks and plays absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to see future updates with more cars and tracks. Classic Lotus and the Italia are my faves.

Esqueleto

Banned
Just got the game, but playing with a controller blows. I have a dfgt, but i feel like upgrading. Anyone got any recommendations? I was looking at the t500 rs since it's back in stock but I also want a wheel which i know works on ps4. Is the thrustmaster my only option right now?

markao

Thanks mate works like a charm, if you now no a way to fix my replay problem. ;) While in session I can get them to work, but if I want to watch them, after I saved them, from the main menu, game always hangs.

TJP

Regarding the performance issues; this is an early access release so optimisations aren't complete.

As for the graphical settings, a lot of people complained when the version 0.9.6 tech preview was released as they cranked every setting to maximum and has terrible frame rates. The following was a comment by Stefano:

Motion blur is VERY intensive, expecially with AA enabled. The 8 settings is plain crazy, something that will be maybe possible to enable in 1-2 years time... MB at 1-2 give a very good visual result without the crazy FPS hit... when using MB try also to disable AA and enable FXAA instead.. it might give you better results.

Regarding cube maps:

A cubemap is a texture made up of 6 faces, to create a... doh.. cube :)
The resolution sets how big is every face, the bigger the face, the more the pixel to write, the slower the sim will run.

Face per frames set how many of the 6 faces get updated every frame.. ideally you'll want to update all 6, but it is mostly impossible on current hardware. The higher the value the more passes are needed to render the cubemap, the slower the sim will run.

Suggested settings by Luca:

Fullscreen ON
NO vsync
Aniso to max
AA to max
NO Fxaa
Shadow on High
HDR enabled (not checked)
NO Motion blur
Cubemaps: Medium
Faces: 2

Luca also suggested not to use AA and FXAA together as it's another frame rate killer. Hopefully an FAQ will appear on Assettocorsa.com sometime in the near future.

Top Bottom