• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Momentary

Banned
One can follow the IER here: https://www.facebook.com/IERModGroup and here: http://acusccmod.weebly.com/the-cars.html

The problem with all mods are the accuracy of the physics and the vehicle models. One aspect I liked about the URD is they have made car models for a variety of companies, including Kunos. I like to think with URD's connections to professional development teams, any areas they aren't sure about with regards to physics they can seek help with.

I'm guessing modding teams reference other sims or mods, technical specs, real world lap times and YouTube to get their own stuff to work as closely to reality as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kunos isn't getting in touch with IER as well to cut down on development time on their game.

They did state that they will have over 100 cars available at launch for the console version of this game. If you don't count "alts" then I don't think they are even breaking 50 cars. They've got to be getting these cars from somewhere. There's no way they can pump that many out by that time on their own.

I'm praying that the HSV-010 is one of those damn cars. Driving it in GRID Autosport was a damn nightmare.

Anyways... Loving these mods man. Should have never told me about them.

244210_2015-08-25_00001_zpssiwbzpow.png~original

Patrick S.

Banned
I played around with the data of the Honda Integra DC 2 that I recommended yesterday. It's well done, but it's unrealistically slow, and I thought I might have a go at improving it.

It performs closer to the real one now. You can grab the modifiied files at Race Department if you want to check it out.

Momentary

Banned
Most cars work quite nicely, an annoyance some cars have that irks me but isn't really important is that the cockpit and/or exterior lights don't work - purely cosmetical because there are no night races, but still it's something I care about. Check the cars on this site, they are lovely. Especially the Lancias and the De Tomaso Pantera.

P.S. I don't ask if the cars are legit, just if they are fun :p

Man.. How can he have so many cars lined up?

Zeth

So the "Dorsch" GT3 Cup that's been everywhere lately has gotten some good reviews/impressions (lots of skins on RD recently). Apparently it is a very good scratch made model with over a year of labor poured into it. So I grabbed it for $5. Will check it out soon, there's supposed to be a physics update coming today. http://assetto991.com/ is the creator's site.

Man.. How can he have so many cars lined up?

They're almost all crap (IMO - sorry!) and/or rips from Forza etc. As a general rule, if it's not on the official forum, or at least RaceDepartment, I would avoid. Of course there are exceptions, but these facebook mod aggregators and dodgy web pages archiving megaupload links are usually a bad idea. This assetto991 thing is an anomaly. URD are the only "legit" payware mod cars for AC (afaik) that are acknowledged by the community - and aren't just people selling work that isn't theirs.

Momentary

Banned
Is there a car list somewhere?

So the "Dorsch" GT3 Cup that's been everywhere lately has gotten some good reviews/impressions (lots of skins on RD recently). Apparently it is a very good scratch made model with over a year of labor poured into it. So I grabbed it for $5. Will check it out soon, there's supposed to be a physics update coming today. http://assetto991.com/ is the creator's site.

They're almost all crap (IMO - sorry!) and/or rips from Forza etc. As a general rule, if it's not on the official forum, or at least RaceDepartment, I would avoid. Of course there are exceptions, but these facebook mod aggregators and dodgy web pages archiving megaupload links are usually a bad idea. This assetto991 thing is an anomaly. URD are the only "legit" payware mod cars for AC (afaik) that are acknowledged by the community - and aren't just people selling work that isn't theirs.

I'm going to give the Dorsch GT3 Cup a try tomorrow.

As for that other website, yeah I avoided it. Seemed kind of suspicious that they had all those cars and none of them were being discussed on the official forums.

TJP

I see on RD it's claimed the Dorche 991 is a rip from EA's NFS: Rivals game 8( Not sure if I want to pay €5 for a proported ripped model converted to AC even if the physics are spot on as claimed by the author.

This to me opens a wider debate about mods, their origin, accuracy and whether paid-for versus donation or free is the way of the future. From my POV, I've no interest in paying money for converted ripped content or for a nice looking mod that drive like shit.

The URD mods are scratch made and visually on-par to anything Kunos or ISI have released; still unsure about the physics but they feel decent enough. I hope to read a hands on report of the Dorche 991 soon..

TJP

I'm going to give the Dorsch GT3 Cup a try tomorrow.
After reading the RD thread, I thought I'd buy the not-Porsche 991 GT3 Cup car mod. FWIW there is an old version (1.1) on the Racing Italia website for those interested but not enough to pay 5 Euro's. The purchase and download email process was exactly the same as buying from URD for those interested. Compared to the URD pricing structure, the 991 GT3 Cup mod is priced on the very high side for this sort of thing. So long as it's well made and well supported - from the FB page it appears an enduro version will be released - it should be value for money in the long term.

I installed one of the few real world livery packages as I'm not one for fantasy stuff or skins that are taken off different cars and settled in to see if I'd blown my 5 Euro's on a load of shite or a decent recreation of an iconic car. I selected Spa and headed out on my own on a green track.

First impression wasn't great; the front suspension was completely borked as the developer had set the ride height far too low. The minimum ride heigh all round is supposed to be 78mm and this was completely missed by the developer. 5 clicks upwards to the front end of the car made the in-build AC setup genie happy. The rear of the car is locked way higher than the minimum allowed and there is no way to reduce this as it's set to 0 by default. In my mind, if one very easily seen and fixable aspect is wrong, how many other aspects are incorrect too?

I needn't worry as I felt at home with the GT3 Cup car from the off. Good FFB, good sounds, good modelling - despite evidence it's largely from a NFS game - and convincing physics have me hooked. Is this 991 realistic? I've no idea as I've not driven a GT3 cup car and likely never will but it feels great to drive with characteristics I'd expect from a slick shod & large rear winged 911; high speed understeer through a few of Spa's more skidmark inducing corners (for me and the car), great brakes and a decent amount of grunt (460 HP) for an 1,100KG car.

Whilst the 991 GT3 Cup cannot be compared to the Darche GTE/GT2 spec car URD have made as the tyres, aero and engine specifications are all different, the slow(er) in, fast out characteristics can be considered to be the same across these vehicles, including Kunos' and the Sector 3 Ruf cars in R3E which is somewhat reassuring.

The 991 author claims real GT3 drivers have provided feedback and the final version of the mod should be done by October. I hope all of this is true!

TJP

Thanks for the write-up TJP. I'll have a go at it. Know of any leagues running this car?
Probably pay to check RD, Driving Italia and RSR. I've seen league liveries so there is definitely league activities going oon.

TJP

Mod includes:
  • 2014 Corvette Daytona Prototypes by the IER Modding Group
  • 2015 Oreca FLM09 LMPC by the IER Modding Group
Changelog (since on RD):
-Small 3D changes - with more to come once a new modeler is found
-More accurate physics based off of better data - vastly different to the last release
-Updated and improved sounds
-Feature list updated to current version of AC
-Livery compatibility - although not advised as neither the 3D model nor it's skinning layout is finalized
-Verification of handling accuracy through tests done by a driver of the real car (so don't complain about the light steering, that's how it is the real thing)

DL here: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ier-car-pack-1-uscc-mod.7348/

Omaer

Banned
Beautiful pictures of the P4/5 Mascot.

@Jilt: Great links.

Btw those mods. Do they add those cars in to the already existing roster; or do they replace one car within another in the already existing roster of vehicles?

B/c the Mercedes-Benz 300 Gullwing is one of my all time favourites. :]

That is an amazing Porsche. Btw have you seen this video: 2011 Porsche 997 GT3 RS

Simply amazing.

Shaneus

Interesting website; I wonder how many cars are ripped from Forza and NFS?
All of them?

It's a shame, because given the vast majority of simracers prefer handling over looks, these are likely headed in the other direction. Have to wonder how well they'd drive compared to, say, Niels' NSX.

TJP

All of them?

It's a shame, because given the vast majority of simracers prefer handling over looks, these are likely headed in the other direction. Have to wonder how well they'd drive compared to, say, Niels' NSX.
You'd think that's the case given how easy it appears to be to rip car models and sounds from both games and create a car for AC.

You're right about the physics too; I've been praising the Assetto 991 only to read on RD the spring rates are about 100,000 nm less than the real car's springs according to one modder who has compared the in-game stats with his own stats.

Either the suspension settings are fucked or AC fudges these!

Patrick S.

Banned
All of them?

I tried the Audi RS4 on that site, and it doesn't feel like a 4WD car at all. It has tons of oversteer and no grip.

Patrick S.

Banned
You mean, the guy who made the car fudges it, not AC itself?

Something in AC's way of handling car data seems to be different than other games like pCARS. When I made the 5-speed mod for AC's Audi IMSA, I wrote down the gear ratios from pCARS and applied them to Assetto Corsa, and the car ended up having a theoretical top speed of like 600 km/h :O Had to find appropriate values by trial and error.

TJP

You mean, the guy who made the car fudges it, not AC itself?
That's the $64,000 question.

The Dorche 991 has near universal praise on RD, the mod author says real world GT3 drivers provided data and feedback and yet one of the highly praised AC modders has looked at the car in the tools are available and stated the spring rates are well off the real rates; he stated 100,000 nm if I remember correctly.

Sour grapes by a rival modder or fact?

I've watched a video of the suspension movements of thr 60's F1 cars in rF2 and AC and then the real world 49 Lotus and rF2 visually matches reality. What does this mean if rF2 and AC both use real world data?

I'm confused!

Assetto Corsa Dream Pack 2 and Update V1.3 Details

7.99 Euro

Assetto Corsa Dream Pack 2 content:

The new Dream Pack 2 will include the Circuit of Catalunya, based on Laserscan point cloud, featuring the GP and MotoGP layouts. The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya is a motorsport racing track in Montmeló, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. The circuit has an FIA Grade 1 license.

Furthermore, the Dream Pack will add nine spectacular car models to your Assetto Corsa garage.

Lamborghini Countach 5000 Quattro Valvole
Lamborghini Huracan GT3
Ford GT40 MK1
Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus SCG003
AUDI R8 ULTRA 2014
RUF RT12R AWD
RUF RT12R RWD
BMW M4 Coupe
BMW M4 Coupe Akrapovic Edition

Assetto Corsa RUF RT12R AWD

Together with the new Dream Pack, Kunos Simulazioni will also deploy the Assetto Corsa V1.3 update featuring a long list of improvements and fixes. Have a look at some of the highlights of the update.

Physics

64-bit natively supported and car physics calculated on multi-thread. The physics engine has been reworked to become completely multithreaded: as a result, the driving precision is augmented, the accuracy further improved and the physics solver has enough horsepower to completely resolve any difficult calculations any speed, achieving butter smooth Force Feedback and complete elimination of signal noise and vibrations. We’ll be back with more details on physics updates when the new build will be released next week.

Graphics

2D/3D models, textures, and shaders have been updated and improved, in order to keep the standards reached with the latest content. Now windscreens receive shadows, and a new camera facing feature improves the rendering of 2D/3D objects on track. A first basic support for dynamic objects on tracks has been added as well, and it will be improved in future updates, with the aim to get a more immersive environment.

Sound

Fine tuning and improved algorithms for audio editing: all new cars benefit by use of new techniques of recording and sampling for engines, interiors, and exhaust systems, also thanks to the technical cooperation of Akrapovic. This allows to recreate a more detailed audio trace and the exclusive detail of each car, improving the immersion while driving. Content that are available already in Assetto Corsa will be updated during the process, to bring them to a higher level of realism and in line with the latest quality standards.

Multiplayer

Dedicated server has been optimized in order to improve general stability.
New parameters and features have been added to server configuration, in order to please the requests of gamers who are looking for a more comprehensive online experience.

TJP

From the AC forums straight from Aris:

So the imminent version 1.3 (and Dream Pack 2) brings a whole new bunch of improvements, features and novelties. Here's some previews regarding the driving (I wanted to write "warnings" but it sounded a bit too harsh )

64bit - 32bit.
Nothing changes in terms of driving and physics between the two. 64bits though permits addressing bigger chunks of memory and can do stuff like saving bigger replays. I do not know if this is already enabled by Stefano, but if not, will be in the future. Certainly 64bit is the way forward, so start updating too...

Physics:
- New ABS system which now supports 1,2,3,4 channels. Cars should stop better now. (obviously realistic distances)
- Active differentials also at the rear wheel drive cars. I'm not talking EDLs supporting mecchanical diffs but actual active differentials. They can do some great tricks... try the M4, Ferrari 458, Ferrari LaFerrari for some amazing results.
- EDL differentials now active also at the front of AWD active systems. Yes we managed to eliminate some (not all) understeer from the Por... sorry RUF AWD. The Nissan GT-R pulls some amazing tricks too.
- Modified Front splitter height sensitivity for some cars will make some famous turns not so easy to do.
- Added wheel offset simulation in suspension so that you can simulate more easily and accurately the correct suspension scrub. Scrub value is also available in the dev app "suspensions"

V5 Tyre model:
Our tyre model evolves with each release and this is a big step forward! We now have completely reworked load sensitivity equations, new over the peak curve, different flat-spotting based also on load, modified and corrected rolling resistance equations, new heating values and simulation of both surface and core temperatures with speed (from air speed) sensible cool down and more. All of that in the core system

Because of all those changes in the core system, we have put a massive effort to completely rework all the tyres for all the cars. That's more than 130 files each of one with at least 2 compounds, usually 3, sometimes 5... the struggle was (is) real.

As such, the bad news is that some of the cars are still on the V4 tyre model (which is still compatible so your mods also are not broken). The good news is that there are just 7 cars that are still on the V4 model, namely:
Ferrari 312T, Lamborghini Miura SV, Lotus 49, Lotus 98T, Lotus EXOS 125 (and S1), Shelby Cobra 427.

As you can see, they are all either extreme single seaters or vintage tyres. We need some studying to do for them and couldn't make it in time. Expect an update soon™

All the other cars are on the brand new V5 tyre model!

What to expect in terms of driving?
Nothing and everything.
As usual we have a pretty decent idea on what a tyre should do and that hasn't changed, so we don't believe you'll feel something completely new. More of a global improvement of weak points of the old model. Nevertheless my advice is: Forget everything. Forget your laptimes, forget your setups, forget your FFB settings, actually set everything to 100% gain as we changed how the FFB handles for all cars too.
Just drive, from scratch, without any muscle memory.

A few notes.
- Heat your tyres slowly. It will need 1 to 2 laps to bring the tyres to proper temperature both surface and internally in the core. The surface will keep going up and down but the core will stabilise. Then start to push. Otherwise use the tyre blankets
- What was the core temperature on the apps is now surface. Don't go crazy on the surface temperature. It is VERY variable now. It will go up and down in terms of mere seconds! What you need is a proper temp range on turn in, apex, exit. Ignore what it does at high speed on the straights, that's how it works. (look at some F1 heat cameras videos on youtube to understand the effect).
- Cars are even more sensitive to setup now. One click at a time.
- Did you spun out? It happens. But be VERY careful when you rejoin. It really takes nothing to overheat the tyres while doing burnouts to get back on track. The next turn might be fatal! Take it easy for at least 2-3 turns to cool the tyres down.

And a mea culpa. The new heat tyre model is extremely complicated. We should have made a proper app or proper messages to warn you when the tyres are cold, overheated, good or bad condition. We didn't make it. We apologize, we will try to do it... err... soon™. Please be kind and have patience, it's complicated for us too and days have only 32 hours.

terrible

Banned
I have the Dream Pack 2. I played around with the Huracan GT3 for a couple hours and did some laps on Catalunya last night but that's it so far. The included Catalunya seems to be quite a bit better than the mod version I had been using previously.

I don't know if it's just the car or the patch but the FFB was really strong on the Huracan with my TX. I was starting to feel a bit tired after a couple Nordschleife laps. I'll have to tweak that a bit I guess.

Also the new patch really made me realize how much I abuse downshifting while breaking since the new downshift protection was kicking in a lot for me with that car. I guess I need to learn to drive more realistically. I've learned some bad habits from other games.

Shaneus

Does anyone here play this regularly with a controller? It's been too long since I fired it up and given my current living situation, the 360 pad is the only feasible option until I move into a bigger place and get my G27 going again :(

TJP

Does anyone here play this regularly with a controller? It's been too long since I fired it up and given my current living situation, the 360 pad is the only feasible option until I move into a bigger place and get my G27 going again :(
I'd take a look at the 2 page thread on RD: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-xbox-360-controller-settings.86793/page-2

AC is playable with a gamepad; the last time I used my 360 controller it was an okay experience but pales to what a wheel and pedal offers.

Also the new patch really made me realize how much I abuse downshifting while breaking since the new downshift protection was kicking in a lot for me with that car. I guess I need to learn to drive more realistically. I've learned some bad habits from other games.
Downshift protection is being added to a lot of sims (e.g R3E has it in the beta builds*) making the driving experience more in line with the real world plus it's needed for the reason you've mentioned.

*Ironically Bruno Spengler complained about it being to prohibitive so Sector 3 have fettled their DSP.

TJP

I'm not sure who owns paid-for mode however URD have updated their T5 and EGT mods to the version 5 tyres and the cars feel pretty damn good 8)

The URD take on the DTM isn't quite on par with the 2014 or 2015 DTM add-on from Sector 3 it is a hell of a lot of fun to drive and cheap to buy at 4 Euro's. Most of the DTM tracks are missing which is a bit of a bummer although Kunos has a laser scanned Nurburgring GP track and the Norisring is available on RD. URD have stated they might add the 2015 Bayro T5 to their T5 packages for both rF2 and AC (possibly as a thank you gesture) and opt to make a T5 2016 mod instead of releasing a complete 2015 mod.

Zeth

I'm not sure who owns paid-for mode however URD have updated their T5 and EGT mods to the version 5 tyres and the cars feel pretty damn good 8)

The URD take on the DTM isn't quite on par with the 2014 or 2015 DTM add-on from Sector 3 it is a hell of a lot of fun to drive and cheap to buy at 4 Euro's. Most of the DTM tracks are missing which is a bit of a bummer although Kunos has a laser scanned Nurburgring GP track and the Norisring is available on RD. URD have stated they might add the 2015 Bayro T5 to their T5 packages for both rF2 and AC (possibly as a thank you gesture) and opt to make a T5 2016 mod instead of releasing a complete 2015 mod.

Yeah I got the update email - still have to give them a go. Just ran a few laps with AI with the new Kunos GT3s at Barcelona - WOW. AC is (more)awesome now. I'm sure others have articulated it better since the update.

Unless there is some work-around I don't know about, it doesn't/won't work under W10 until there's retail hardware. Bummer, I know.

Too bad, I'll play some pCars then xD

I'm having a weird issue with my g27 though: I can't get to match wheel rotation to in-game wheel rotation, even though the profiler range is set to max and in-game settings show 900 degrees.

Any ideas?

mrsmr2

Does the car have more than 900 degrees in real life? In those cars the virtual wheel turns faster than the physical wheel.

Does the car have more than 900 degrees in real life? In those cars the virtual wheel turns faster than the physical wheel.

I don't think so; the weird thing is that when calibrating the rotation seems fine, once in-game it's messed-up.

Even turning 90 degrees makes the driver spin the wheel like crazy

TJP

I see version 1.3.3 was released. Of note was:

- Added downshift protection parameters to drivetrain.ini to allow individual car tune up
- Tuned up downshift protection (experimental) for the following cars
BMW Z4 GT3
Audi R8 LMS Ultra GT3
Glickenhaus SCG003
Lamborghini Huracan GT3
Nissan GT-R GT3
McLaren MP4 12C GT3
Mercedes SLS GT3
BMW M3 GT2
Ferrari 458 GT2
Corvette C7R
- Force Feedback frequency is now controlled using a more precise setting in assetto_corsa.ini (FF_SKIP_STEPS instead of the old MAX_FF_RATE_HZ)
- Fixed tyre vertical stiffness pressure dependency wrongly using ideal pressure instead of reference pressure

Top Bottom