• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astartes - Warhammer 40,000 fan film project.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So, there's been a short fan made film in the works set in the Warhammer 40K universe, and it finally got completed and has been uploaded. It's about 15 minutes and has really good production values (great quality CG and sound). Well worth a watch even if you're not into 40K.

DKehoe

I remember seeing part 1 a while back. I’ll need to check out the other parts. Incredible work for a fan project. Hope the guy gets to do this professionally.

The entire thing is just incredible, from the art design, graphical clarity, animation, soot on lore accuracy, canera work, editing, pacing and atmosphere., it's all just perfect.

Also it's the first and only time I can think of that shows exactly how big, fast and unrelentingly lethal 40K Space Marines should be.

Really lookomg forward to seeing what comes next too. The flashes at the end of The Angels Sanguine and Black Dragons chapters are incredibly intreaguing, even if it looks like it'll be focusing on another homebrew chapter.

Last edited:

Makariel

[...], even if it looks like it'll be focusing on another homebrew chapter.
On that point specifically, I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, rather the opposite. I consider 40k more as a setting to tell your own stories in, rather than an ongoing storyline to follow. Freedom to effectively do what you want, kitbashing and modifications make this hobby so much fun. I'd rather be dead in a ditch than painting a single codex-compliant Ultramarine (only space marines I paint are Space Wolves :p or maybe some Grey Knights kill team at some point).

On that point specifically, I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, rather the opposite. I consider 40k more as a setting to tell your own stories in, rather than an ongoing storyline to follow. Freedom to effectively do what you want, kitbashing and modifications make this hobby so much fun. I'd rather be dead in a ditch than painting a single codex-compliant Ultramarine (only space marines I paint are Space Wolves :p or maybe some Grey Knights kill team at some point).
Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you, I'm just excited to see 2 of the more obscure chapters get the Astartes treatment. I'm sure the new guys will be awesome.

Kitbashing and coming up with 'my dudes' is also my favourite part of 40K.

This is an example of my main army, the Hornets Chapter:
GC1KM2H.jpg

And their Chapter Master I'm working on.

ueKmLuV.jpg

And Im also working on a Dark Angels successor chapter.

Ironbunny

Also it's the first and only time I can think of that shows exactly how big, fast and unrelentingly lethal 40K Space Marines should be.

Really lookomg forward to seeing what comes next too. The flashes at the end of The Angels Sanguine and Black Dragons chapters are incredibly intreaguing, even if it looks like it'll be focusing on another homebrew chapter.

Never really known much about the 40K universe but these short films peeked my interest to find out more. Been watching luetin09 channel on youtube where he explains the lore of 40K quite well. Certainly suggest people to give a look at that channel. Its brutal stuff.

Razvedka

Banned
40k is just about the most hardcore Sci-Fi setting around.

For example, Astartes (Space Marines) are post-human monastic killing machines that can live for thousands of years and exist only to wage war on behalf of humanity. They're over 8ft tall and packed to the gills in genetic enhancements, mental conditioning, and wear advanced power armor.

And they're not all that high up on the totem poll of lethality, even when only looking at the forces of the Imperium. Far above them you have the Adeptus Custodes, and far above them you have the Primarchs.

1x Space Marine is worth many regular, well trained, human soldiers.
1x Custodes is worth many space marines.
1x Primarch is worth many Custodes.

Of course the quantity of these forces diminishes at each tier. There are trillions of Imperial Guardsmen, millions of space marines, 10,000 Custodes, and a handful of (loyalist) Primarchs- most of whom are either (probably?) dead or missing. Except for Roboute Guilleman, who has returned to the setting very much alive.

And this ignoring the forces of Chaos, Eldar, and Necrons.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

I think this is why stories like Eisenhorn, Gaunt's Ghosts, and so forth work so well because there's this great big established universe spanning millenia that authors can insert all sorts of stories into. Sure, there are big events that move the 40K universe as a whole forward like the Gathering Storm stuff, but the smaller stories is where things tend to shine.

I’m working on Magnus right now

Edit: posted a little bit too early, just wanted to add that I’ve got a ton more to do and then a ton of touch ups.
Edit 2: Fixed up the formatting and photo presentation a bit. Got a little too excited to find other folks that fuck with Warhammer on GAF :p

Last edited:

Makariel

That Magnus is looking good. I've always wanted to try my hand at some model painting, but have a feeling they'd all look like this:

Some of my old space wolves look like this. The first few models will likely look a bit odd, but that's what the start painting boxes are for that contain a few simple miniatures to try with. There's plenty of good videos now on YouTube that show how to get started, like the official games workshop channel and tons of other places with more advanced stuff like nmm.

So if you're interested in it just give it a go ;)
Got a little too excited to find other folks that fuck with Warhammer on GAF :p
Perhaps it's time for a warhammer OT in the community section?

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
40k is culturally anathema though, in that it's all about 'having to make the tough choices'. There are no real 'good guys' per se.

Further, it doesn't give you feel good endorphin rushes like seeing Captain America punch a Nazi in the face and save the day. It's grimdark.

So I imagine comparatively it's 'niche' relative to Marvel but I agree it's some of the best stuff out there. Ever. My favorite fictional universe with the nearest contender probably being Banner of the Stars.

PacificNW

I knew of this video series for a while. A buddy of mine at work knew of it and had watched it all. He loved it. I just finally watched them all. Amazing. The quality of work on display is breathtaking. The guy doing this has some real talent and passion for the source material. I hope it continues. Such a pleasure to watch when every discipline on display is perfect.

Efe

He's Chapter Master Anura! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mcz117chief

40k is culturally anathema though, in that it's all about 'having to make the tough choices'. There are no real 'good guys' per se.

Further, it doesn't give you feel good endorphin rushes like seeing Captain America punch a Nazi in the face and save the day. It's grimdark.

So I imagine comparatively it's 'niche' relative to Marvel but I agree it's some of the best stuff out there. Ever. My favorite fictional universe with the nearest contender probably being Banner of the Stars.
Just do it the way I do, I ignore the trash lore and just play the video games because I like the aesthetics and the Imperial Guard are awesome lads, the poster boy good guys of the universe, everyone else is annoying (maybe the Tau are ok and the Orks are basic so I have no feeling towards them one way or the other).

Just do it the way I do, I ignore the trash lore and just play the video games because I like the aesthetics and the Imperial Guard are awesome lads, the poster boy good guys of the universe, everyone else is annoying (maybe the Tau are ok and the Orks are basic so I have no feeling towards them one way or the other).
Any one taking that approach to a big budget 40K adaptation would be awful and defeat the entire point of the setting.

We've got the Eisenhorn TV series adaptation at some point that I'm hoping will be a good in for normal people, precisely because it starts out more hopeful, with a slightly more traditional approach to story telling, then layers on the grim dark misery until it's less shades of grey, and more black and dried blood.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Any one taking that approach to a big budget 40K adaptation would be awful and defeat the entire point of the setting.

We've got the Eisenhorn TV series adaptation at some point that I'm hoping will be a good in for normal people, precisely because it starts out more hopeful, with a slightly more traditional approach to story telling, then layers on the grim dark misery until it's less shades of grey, and more black and dried blood.
There is enough misery in the real world to last me a life time, I don't need to have it in my entertainment as well. Just my approach towards the grim-derp of 40k.

Makariel

The only good guys in 40k are the Tyranids, obviously.

There is enough misery in the real world to last me a life time, I don't need to have it in my entertainment as well. Just my approach towards the grim-derp of 40k.
Then you’re definitely missing the point of it.

There’s plenty of fiction that will lie to you and let you escape to a fantasy of good triumphing over evil, or that a single person can win against any odds with enough pluck, skill and determination.

40K is one of the few works of fiction that doesn’t sugar coat the fact that life is a never ending war we’re all destined to lose, and that most of the world will try and screw us over for the pettiest of reasons.

Yet, in spite of the odds, the gods and monsters and dying heroes throughout its universe, 40K is full of more hope and inspiration than all the spandex wearing super heroes and impossibly smart crime fighters in every other universe combined.

Because even in a world that’s infinitely worse than our own, where mankind has been fighting wars without end and suffering every single moment for over 10,000 years, it portrays us as never breaking, never giving in, never surrendering, even in the face of actual gods and creatures that eat whole worlds.

It lets us know that our world isn’t so bad, and that even if life is hard, if we’re miserable and downtrodden, that we all, as individuals and as a species, will keep fighting, keep surviving, and will eventually thrive in spite of it all, because that’s just what we do.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

There’s plenty of fiction that will lie to you and let you escape to a fantasy of good triumphing over evil, or that a single person can win against any odds with enough pluck, skill and determination.

40K is one of the few works of fiction that doesn’t sugar coat the fact that life is a never ending war we’re all destined to lose, and that most of the world will try and screw us over for the pettiest of reasons.

Yet, in spite of the odds, the gods and monsters and dying heroes throughout its universe, 40K is full of more hope and inspiration than all the spandex wearing super heroes and impossibly smart crime fighters in every other universe combined.

Because even in a world that’s infinitely worse than our own, where mankind has been fighting wars without end and suffering every single moment for over 10,000 years, it portrays us as never breaking, never giving in, never surrendering, even in the face of actual gods and creatures that eat whole worlds.

It lets us know that our world isn’t so bad, and that even if life is hard, if we’re miserable and downtrodden, that we all, as individuals and as a species, will keep fighting, keep surviving, and will eventually thrive in spite of it all, because that’s just what we do.
Yeah, that is why I like 40k, for exact reasons you described there, I just don't like the grim-derp aspect of it. That is why I like the Imperial Guard the most, the common man fighting for the common man. I have been in the 40k for almost 30 years now, you don't have to explain it to me.

Last edited:

Let it be known that the planet broke before the guard.

Yeah, that is why I like 40k, for exact reasons you described there, I just don't like the grim-derp aspect of it. That is why I like the Imperial Guard the most, the common man fighting for the common man. I have been in the 40k for almost 30 years now, you don't have to explain it to me.
You can’t say you get it then continue to call it “grim derp”, especially when you then praise the Guard, arguably the most grim dark of all the factions due to how royally buggered they are 99% of the time and horrifically cruel the other 1%.

I mean I love them too, but come on, they’re about as far from noble and heroic even in the context of the setting as you can get.

mcz117chief

You can’t say you get it then continue to call it “grim derp”, especially when you then praise the Guard, arguably the most grim dark of all the factions due to how royally buggered they are 99% of the time and horrifically cruel the other 1%.

I mean I love them too, but come on, they’re about as far from noble and heroic even in the context of the setting as you can get.
Let's just say I have read and seen grim-dark become grim-derp and vice versa so many times that I have lots interest in some of the finer details of the lore some time ago (about 10 years). And when it comes to the Guard their heroism and nobility is incomparable to other factions in the setting, and they aren't "buggered" 99% of time when they win practically every fight.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

I can see how derpiness can emerge in the lore given how what's canon can swing back and forth so hard. It's getting a lot better now that GW realizes that there's a good-sized audience that are in it for the story and don't really care about the plastic. As time goes on, I'm hopeful some of the derp aspects get weeded out. I look at something like the Sisters of Battle as a group that has a bit of both. Never much cared for some of their sillier weapons like their tanks with the pipe organs and would like to see that removed from the lore. Conversely, I liked Stern's encounter with the Screaming Cage despite how over the top that was.

Top Bottom