• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 | Previews are up

ShakenG

Yeah Sold. Was a fan of the Warhammer universe when i played through Firewarrior 40k on PS2.. played alot of the RTS games on Pc and even enjoying the very grindy game on mobile. This looks fantastic and the scale/action looks right up my alley.

Glad to hear it's the WWZ engine as that runs as smooth as butter. Hopefully that will remain to be the case for this one.
For a moment, I feared it would be UE5 with all it's performance issues.
I've seen at least one preview where they said the game performed terribly. Drops to sub 30 on a 4090 and single digits on a 3070 at 1440p.

Last edited:

Brigandier

This looks great and looks like it'll be a real blast in co-op count me in!!!

mmm GIF

Looks fucking great. My biggest pet peeve is the Space Marine not wearing a helmet. All that R&D expense, training etc. and they don't wear a helmet when hordes surround them? Not only that, but the helmet looks badass. Hopefully, there is some customization.
This is seen somewhat often in veterans and captains, since the helmet impairs their sight and mobility. A chunk of them wear the Iron Halo (a reward for their success) and that creates a protective field. You know, in this universe the bolder (and balder) and braver the better

Last edited:

Hudo

I am actually pleased that they attempt to depict Tyranids as a swarm. There were parts in that 16 minute gameplay footage where I was genuinely surprised at the amount of enemies depicted on screen without any significant framerate drops. Can't wait to play it.

I am actually pleased that they attempt to depict Tyranids as a swarm. There were parts in that 16 minute gameplay footage where I was genuinely surprised at the amount of enemies depicted on screen without any significant framerate drops. Can't wait to play it.
Yeah. The new Warhammer 40,000 10th edition is heavily focused on battling the Tyranids.

Apocryphon

This is seen somewhat often in veterans and captains, since the helmet impairs their sight and mobility. A chunk of them wear the Iron Halo (a reward for their success) and that creates a protective field. You know, in this universe the bolder (and balder) and braver the better
It would be good if there was an option to have the helmet on.

And while I’m wishing for things, a 40fps fidelity mode on Series X would be appreciated!

Hudo

Yeah. The new Warhammer 40,000 10th edition is heavily focused on battling the Tyranids.
Ah, that explains why the focus on Tyranids for Space Marine II (at least from the footage that has been shown so far). Not a complaint!

Maybe this could open the door to a new Space Hulk game, that's actually a tactical shooter (like the first one from 93 or so).

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The first game had online PvP, right?

I know this one has online co-op, but surly it also has a competitive online mode? That would be the icing on the cake (that and having Chaos Demons in the main game).

GymWolf

It looks good except switching from orcs to small xenomorphs, i can't think of a more boring enemy.

Do these things even speak or they are like ants with an hivemind?

Last edited:

Montauk

It looks good except switching from orcs to small xenomorphs, i can't think of a more boring enemy.

They can speak. They have human like lips (hard to see as dark) and, well, you know what that means.

I don’t know if the devs will be brave enough to put that in the game though. Too adult.

GymWolf

They can speak. They have human like lips (hard to see as dark) and, well, you know what that means.

I don’t know if the devs will be brave enough to put that in the game though. Too adult.
They just feel like extremely simplicistic enemies.

Orcs are not super complex but you can have different personalities, make them talk trash, they can wear cool armours or handle cool weapons etc, i just can't imagine a bunch of xenomorph insects to have much flavour at all, but i'm not a warhammer fan so i may be in the wrong.

oji-san

Banned
I've seen a site or 2 mentioning that this will come to Game Pass, i think also someone said it here but i can't find anywere, not in the official site or other big sites about it coming to GP.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Has there been any mention if this will feature performance/fidelity modes on console yet?

Google’d but couldn’t see anything.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They just feel like extremely simplicistic enemies.

Orcs are not super complex but you can have different personalities, make them talk trash, they can wear cool armours or handle cool weapons etc, i just can't imagine a bunch of xenomorph insects to have much flavour at all, but i'm not a warhammer fan so i may be in the wrong.

Yeah, I kinda hope it's not all nids. They can be a bit one note. The whole 'hive mind' thing. I doubt it's all just nids though. I can't see them doing a Space Marine game without Chaos in there somewhere.

Looks great. Really loved the first one and played the co-op horde mode a lot with a few fellow GAF back then. This one the whole campaign is co-op right?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This game looks NUTS.

People calling me ridiculous for wanting actual large scale battles with high end fidelity. This game is doing just that.

Looks unbelievable. Day 1 purchase.

Also hyped that it seems straight out of the PS360 era gameplay wise. SkillUp Preview said theres no ridiculous amounts of leveling up, no endless skill trees, just simple. See gun. Pick it up. Shoot. And its linear. My god. Fantastic

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This game looks NUTS.

People calling me ridiculous for wanting actual large scale battles with high end fidelity. This game is doing just that.

Looks unbelievable. Day 1 purchase.

Also hyped that it seems straight out of the PS360 era gameplay wise. SkillUp Preview said theres no ridiculous amounts of leveling up, no endless skill trees, just simple. See gun. Pick it up. Shoot. And its linear. My god. Fantastic
What? No skill tree where I slowly unlock my move set, no deciding between the melee skill tree and ranged skill tree or the skill tree that makes me better at finding the steel shards I need to upgrade my weapons (that then break). Sounds horrible, it will probably just be doing fun action stuff for 10 hours, rather than 10 hours of fun action mixed in with 15 hours of searching, backtracking and breaking crates.

They are a hive mind which has a very large role. They have a thing called a Shadow of the Warp which is their collective consciousness. It's extremely dangerous especially to psykers.

However, the Tyranids are also highly intelligent. They're not like xenomorphs. Or at least not the larger ones which actually carry firearms and everything.

They're not boring because there's a large variety of them and some of them are huge. I would expect some really big boss battles that tower over you in this game.

Montauk

They are a hive mind which has a very large role. They have a thing called a Shadow of the Warp which is their collective consciousness. It's extremely dangerous especially to psykers.

However, the Tyranids are also highly intelligent. They're not like xenomorphs. Or at least not the larger ones which actually carry firearms and everything.

They're not boring because there's a large variety of them and some of them are huge. I would expect some really big boss battles that tower over you in this game.

Plus those lips. Could stop a lonely Space Marine from going crazy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Still not a fan but i guess we have to wait the game release to see if they manage to make these things interesting to fight or not.

From the trailers they look dreadfully uninteresting except for the huge numbers.

Still not a fan but i guess we have to wait the game release to see if they manage to make these things interesting to fight or not.

From the trailers they look dreadfully uninteresting except for the huge numbers.
I understand where you're coming at. Hundreds of these enemies on screen kind of just takes away from the uniqueness. It's one of the issues I have with the Diablo games as well.

But if you were to read the lore and the books, it makes them a hell of a lot more interesting. I really don't know the Tyranids much from the video games as I do from the Wh40k splat books.

Also, if this is an actual sequel, I think Daemons are going to have to play a role in here too because Titus has the whole Chaos/Warp taint.

Last edited:
Focus Entertainment are having a stream in 3 hours, they might show/tell some new interesting stuff about this game. And also, "Banishers"? Whatever that is. :messenger_smirking:

Unfortunately I'll be at work when it starts. I'll be counting on you guys to post all the juicy details!

Any idea when this one is coming out? Could do with a palette cleanser after all these RPGs and I'm playing through the first one on Deck after having seen it in my library. Great fun!

They are in the first trailer, I think a grey knight was fighting one (for some reason).
Are you thinking of the trailer for the 10th edition of 40k? It was also Ultramarines vs Tyranids, and had a Terminator Librarian fighting (well, he tried) a Neurotyrant; not a Grey Knight though.
Here's the trailer I'm talking about:

Top Bottom