• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain is getting review bombed on metacritic due to it's Switch exclusivity

Taken from: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...are_review-bombing_astral_chain_on_metacritic

Astral Chain launched last week to widespread critical acclaim; PlatinumGames' latest packs in impressive visuals, tight combat and a generous dose of detective work to deliver one of 2019's stand-out Switch releases. We gave it a solid 9/10, stating that it "could well be PlatinumGames' most accomplished game yet".
However, it would seem that even when you produce a title of this high quality, you can't be assured to please everyone. In another example of what is becoming a depressingly regular practice, angry gamers have taken to review aggregate site Metacritic to "review-bomb" the game – the practice of multiple users spamming user review sites with a high volume of negative ratings in order to pull down the game's user score as low as possible.
While some of these disgruntled scores may well be based on genuine complaints, several sites – including GoNintendo, ComicBook.com and Game Rant – feel that many of the 'zero' scores are simply down to the fact that the game is a Switch exclusive, and nothing more. You'd certainly have a hard time arguing that Astral Chain is a '0/10' game, irrespective of your complaints against it.

When will people grow the fuck up. This really is immature crap.

Pardon? What review bomb?

y8I2A5D.png

edit: ignore this/metacritic sucks.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
good thing i don't bother with metacritic. it's OK to have a look at but i really don't bother with reviews to tell me whether or not i should buy a game.

this game looks cool so i'm gonna get it. i don't need other people to make a decision for me.

Look above. lol I..dont know what to tell you.
The problem is that you're looking at the summary screen. Click on user reviews, this is were the actual data is. Looks like summary hasn't updated yet, the userscore is a dead giveaway, though. 6.1 with the ratio on the summary page isn't possible.

Last edited:
The problem is that you're looking at the summary screen. Click on user reviews, this is were the actual data is. Looks like summary hasn't updated yet, the userscore is a dead giveaway, though. 6.1 with the ratio on your screen isn't possible.

Yeah I just clicked the actual user reviews page and it shows now the actual data. FFs Metacritic, update that shit. Made me look dumb.

Zannegan

Good night, one of the best things Platinum has ever done (according to one review, anyway), and "fans" are out there trying to sabotage their "favorite developer" because the game is--and has been since its inception--exclusive to a platform they don't own by choice. It's like they don't want P* getting steady work. That is beyond pathetic, and Metacritic needs to get its act together.

I promised myself I wasn't going to buy any more games until I hit a few milestones, but this makes me want to break that resolution... plus the game just looks so freaking rad.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That's some bullshit. I'd love a version on hardware that could pull 60, but the game is the freshest thing Platinum have put out since Wonderful 101. It deserves all the good reviews it can get.
That's the thing it's fantastic game but immature people are pissed its exclusive to Switch! I'm guessing the mindset is this type of action should be on PS4/X1 but they forget that most of the best Platinum's games were all Nintendo exlusives. And there is good reason for that, unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo are only ones willing funds these project, heck Microsoft tried with Scalbound but we all saw hows that worked out.

Bandi

Banned
Typical Sony Defense Force. They are always like that. They did the same with XBOX all the time. when xbox games were like 900p and sonys 1080p they acted like it was such a HUGE deal and the biggest difference ever...

now we have 1080p games on ps4 pro and 4K games on xbox one X and they act like you cant see the difference lol. pathetic

Danjin44

Typical Sony Defense Force. They are always like that. They did the same with XBOX all the time. when xbox games were like 900p and sonys 1080p they acted like it was such a HUGE deal and the biggest difference ever...

now we have 1080p games on ps4 pro and 4K games on xbox one X and they act like you cant see the difference lol. pathetic
??? How's this has anything to with some stupid people are pissed about Astral Chain being exclusive!!?

Danjin44

What makes me sad about all this Astral Chain one of the few games that got released right in time with no delay, no downgrade or exlusive preorder DLC or not even loot boxes and MX but this game is getting punished just because its exclusive. WTF is wrong with people these days!!?

Zannegan

??? How's this has anything to with some stupid people are pissed about Astral Chain being exclusive!!?
Viewed through the lens of console wars, everyone who does something bad is probably from the other "camp"...
...maybe?

On the other hand, they're right that it's more likely to be enraged Sony fans, if only because more of Platinum's fanbase is on PS4 and just how many more PS4s there are out there.

Keeping perspective, the review bombers are a couple-hundred losers out of the millions upon millions that bought any current gen console. By and large, gamers are all right no matter what console they prefer.

oagboghi2

Seriously dude, grow up

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What the FUCK is this? Oh you whiny bitches....:messenger_pouting:

I'd also like to play this game in glorious 4K 60 on PC for example but.... Switch is a great console, go buy it and play the games, stop whining and crying. If it can't be done in any other way, so be it, same goes for Bayonetta 2 / 3 and beyond. Wait 5-6 years and you can play these games on PC on a Switch emulator with decent FPS and in 4K.

Saruhashi

Banned
What makes me sad about all this Astral Chain one of the few games that got released right in time with no delay, no downgrade or exlusive preorder DLC or not even loot boxes and MX but this game is getting punished just because its exclusive. WTF is wrong with people these days!!?

Nothing is "wrong" with them. Some people are just like that.

It always amuses me to read the terrible reviews of stuff that is actually good.
My favorite will always be "this is never a 10 out of 10 game so I am giving it 0 out of 10 to level the score".
Sometimes I read reviews and think "does this person even like videogames".
As much as professional reviewers are criticized at least they can give you a decently articulated take on the game.

For real it seems like so many people just don't understand why exclusivity is a thing and why the industry really, really, NEEDS it to be a thing.

stranno

Journalists + people pretending to be journalists :messenger_face_screaming:

It will get a proper score in the future. It happens exactly the same in Steam.

Last edited:

DonF

I kinda get this in the case of bayonetta, first part being multiplat, and getting a sequel exclusive to a system.
But in the case of astral chain...wtf. It just doesnt make sense.

Did this happen also with w101 ? Nier (at the time) ?

dumb dumb

Didn't this happen with Octopath Traveller too because it was a Switch exclusive?

Really shitty thing to do and Platinum really don't deserve it. They made a bloody excellent game. I'm not surprised coming from some of the same team who worked on the bloody amazing Nier Automata. (One of my personal GOTY's from that year).

lukilladog

In store customer reviews are more important than ever, mainstream media has lost loads of credibility and fanboys and corporations have infiltrated whole internet. I only buy from places where they are mandatory.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I don't think anyone serious gives a shit about what some random losers say on Metacritic (no one serious should give a shit for metacritic in general but that's another story) and if they do then they are idiots as well and don't deserve to play Astral Chain anyway.

And i'm saying this as someone who doesn't have a Switch.

Ixiah

Banned
I kinda understood it when People where angry with Bayo 2, being only on Wii U, but on Switch ?
What i dont understand, why does that never happen to games like Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War ?
I guess it shows they care more about Nintendo games ? :D

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I kinda understood it when People where anrey with Bayo 2, being only on Wii U, but on Switch ?
What i dont understand, why does that never happen to games like Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War ?
I guess it shows they care more about Nintendo games ? :D
To be fair they don't ask for Horizon and GoW because they are first party exclusives (just like they don't ask for Mario or Zelda) while AC is 3rd party exclusive. A similar case was when there were people asking for Bloodborne to come to other systems just because previous From Software games were multiplatform.

Last edited:
Reactions: LMJ

Ballthyrm

If you haven't bought and played a game, You don't get to have an opinion on it.
Also.

Publisher: Nintendo

Exclusivity is just another name for where the money is coming from. no money = no game.
I mean, what the F* are they expecting ?

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
There are seemingly no limits to human stupidity it seems, a Nintendo second party game review bombed because it's not on other platforms. They should review bomb Zelda and Super Mario too.

I hate review bombing in all forms, whether as a means of outrage or backlash to caving to said outrage

Reactions: Isa

mcjmetroid

Imaging being that much of a loser that you'd review bomb a game
It's sad to see Nintendo engaging in anti-consumer policies and buying exclusives. Gamers should have the choice to where they can play their games.
Nintendo funded the game without them they would be no game.
Christ it's the Bayonetta 2 thing all over again.

Oh and guess what Bayonetta 3 is gonna be exclusive to Switch as well

Danjin44

When they release a exclusive they are losing potential consumers on other platforms. Most consumers don't play on Switch.
Based on how much Switch is selling they do. Also both Sony and Microsoft weren’t willing fund Bayonetta 2 even tho the original game got such good review, let alone new IP. If Nintendo didn’t fund these games they wouldn’t exist at all and I will be very sad if games like Bayonetta, Wonderful 101 and now Astral Chain didn’t exist.

Especially these days when it seems Sony currently care far more about western games more than Japanese games.

Top Bottom