• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain is getting review bombed on metacritic due to it's Switch exclusivity

Petrae

It’s unfortunate because there are still some people out there (myself included) who factor in user reviews alongside lesser-weighted “pro” reviews and word-of-mouth from select sources to gather whether risking that $60 is worthwhile.

Many of the YouTube personalities that I follow couldn’t be trusted for Astral Chain due to strong pro-Nintendo biases. I don’t at all trust “pro” reviewers in the “gaming press” anymore. That severely restricts the information that I can use to make a decent buying decision when I’m on the fence. User reviews and trusted word-of-mouth were all I had left, and the user reviews were obviously weaponized for this game. Ultimately, I chose to skip it because I just couldn’t get enough data to confirm whether the game would be a good fit for me, especially at $60.

Buying != Funding

Take your dumb EGS-adjacent shit elsewhere

EGS-adjacent, now that's a keeper.

Anyways, I thought people were review bombing it because these Resetera pedos were complaining about cops being painted in a positive, non critical light? But I guess that's mixed in with port beggars and stuff. Game seems fucking awesome so far though, I hope it doesn't dissuade anyone from buying it.

Last edited:

TwistedSyn

It's just pathetic. I don't understand what people get out of review bombing a game that is not on their preferred platform.

Also Kamiya dropping facts.

Last edited:

RavageX

Stupid stuff. Maybe I'm just getting old but it really saddens and amazes me how a lot of people these days behave in relation to what used to be my favorite hobby.

A game was either bad, good or ok. Reviews as I remember them told you about a game and whatever positives and negatives there were, and if it was fun.

No agenda to bomb a game unless it was actually bad.

Nothing about politics, or being offended by fan service. No "personal views" that sounded like a hope that the NY Times would read it and offer a job.

No "gamer gate" or whatever the hell nowadays. I am sick of it, seriously.

Now you have "developers" who want to be celebrities, release trash as a means to get their message out, attract sheep and together further pollute gaming to where their nonsense bleeds into every corner of my passion, corrupting it to where I barely recognize the things I loved about it.

This place for the most part has been one of the few(very few) places that still talks about gaming the way I remember, but of course that taint is here too. It can't be helped, it is everywhere in gaming now.

Just a vent. I don't expect anything to change unless gaming has another crash.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's gonna get Bayonetta 3 too, so they better organize for that one.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa
That's gotta be the most measured response I've ever seen him make.

I've seen him do that before actually. Specifically with regards to MS and the fiasco with Scalebound. He seems quite careful when it comes to the business end of things (as he should be ofc), but he clearly likes shitting on regular Western Twitter people.

Last edited:
When they release a exclusive they are losing potential consumers on other platforms. Most consumers don't play on Switch.

I’m going to assume you simply don’t know what the situation is with PlatinumGames and Nintendo with their various titles. I’m not going to shit on you for being unaware, rather I’ll just explain it.

Bayonetta 2 - It was cancelled before it ever started. Nobody would fund it including SEGA, who owns the franchise. It was dead in the water. Nintendo stepped in and fully funded the entire game (think of Spider-man on PS4, Sony partnered with Insomniac and funded that title) Bayonetta remains SEGA’s IP, but Bayonetta 2 and 3 are 100% funded by Nintendo. If the game were to fail, Nintendo would have eaten the entire loss and Platinum Games would be unaffected as they were already paid.

Wonderful 101 - Fully funded by Nintendo from its inception. Nintendo went to Platinum and contracted them a specific style of game. This is common in many industries. It’s contract work. I pay you to make something for me, you make it, then I own it because it was contracted to me. Just like Bayonetta 2, Platinum was off the hook should the game sell poorly.

Bayonetta 3 - Like Bayonetta 2, 3 was entirely paid for by Nintendo. It’s still SEGA’s IP but everyone got paid by Nintendo to make the game and Nintendo is taking all the risk.

Astral Chain - Exact same scenario as W101. Fully funded by Nintendo. From it’s inception it was always going to be a Nintendo console specific title.

The only way any of these titles could be multi-plat would be if Nintendo wants them to be. Nintendo won’t because they bolster the Switch library, just like Sony hasn’t released Spider-Man or Bloodborne on the Switch, Xbox or PC for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Petrae

Stupid stuff. Maybe I'm just getting old but it really saddens and amazes me how a lot of people these days behave in relation to what used to be my favorite hobby.

A game was either bad, good or ok. Reviews as I remember them told you about a game and whatever positives and negatives there were, and if it was fun.

No agenda to bomb a game unless it was actually bad.

Nothing about politics, or being offended by fan service. No "personal views" that sounded like a hope that the NY Times would read it and offer a job.

No "gamer gate" or whatever the hell nowadays. I am sick of it, seriously.

Now you have "developers" who want to be celebrities, release trash as a means to get their message out, attract sheep and together further pollute gaming to where their nonsense bleeds into every corner of my passion, corrupting it to where I barely recognize the things I loved about it.

This place for the most part has been one of the few(very few) places that still talks about gaming the way I remember, but of course that taint is here too. It can't be helped, it is everywhere in gaming now.

Just a vent. I don't expect anything to change unless gaming has another crash.

A crash isn’t coming, unless the economy tanks beforehand. Maybe the incoming tariffs will hurt the Gen9 market a bit at the start, but all systems are green otherwise. Shareholder/sales expectations will increase, but video game consumers continue to prove that they’re loaded with disposable income and will be happy to pay whatever publishers ask— pre- and post-release.

Social media and “giving everyone a platform” has gone horribly awry, empowering a nauseating number of hot takes and shitposting. Finding genuine enthusiasm these days is exceptionally rare, with the closest being paid shills like the Kinda Funny front.

People may have complained about shit before social media, but it was relegated to message boards, shooting the shit with friends, or sending angry Letters to the Editor of your favorite gaming mag. Now, it’s everywhere. It’s not only common, but it’s normal. You can shit on anything from anywhere... from your computer, your phone, your tablet, You expect people to take a hot, steaming dump all over everything... because it’s cool to hate these days. That’s what gets the engagement— the likes, the retweets, the screen grabs.

The “gaming press” has gone all left-wing activist, and prominent members of the video game industry have followed suit. Forced inclusion and the subsequent chest-thumping that it creates makes video gaming a far more politically-charged form of entertainment than it’s ever been... and the sense of escapism that video games used to foster has all but died. Politics now follow people everywhere, and it’s brutal and depressing.

As you said: Nothing is going to change. It’s going to be a matter of how much you can tolerate before reaching your personal limit and possibly walking away. I’m not at all looking forward to Gen9. I’m not spending any money on a Gen9 console or Gen9 games. My time is up after Gen8 ends, and I’m perfectly fine with that after being a fan for more than four decades. All of this hand-wringing and virtue-signaling and politicizing has broken me. I don’t want it anymore, especially since things I needed from video games— escapism and fun— are all but dead concepts.

xrnzaaas

This is a kind of review bombing I'm very much against. Nintendo funded this game, it's no different from platform exclusives on other consoles.

Last edited:
Well shit, guess Death Stranding is gonna get the shit bombed out of it, considering Sony funded that game, much like Ninty did with Astral Chain...

tenor.gif

Pffft! Yeah right! Vitriolic Sony fanboys abound!

Last edited:

Aranea

I suspect the same will happen once Bayonetta 3 is released. Exclusives suck, but it would suck even more if this game was not a thing and Nintendo is the one backed up Platinum Games to make this game a reality.

Posted this in the AC thread too, but it's so dumb it actually carried over to other Nintendo games too.

It gets even worse, this retardation is actually carrying over to other Nintendo games now.

Dropped from in the 8's to a 6.8 (despite having few negative written reviews compared to positive) in last few days, and look at this "brilliant" review from those negatives.

teTO9T5.png

Platinum Games made Fire Emblem now......................................................................................

i don't know exactly why the game is getting review bombed but if it is because the game is exclusive to one system then that is a damn shame, a lot of people worked hard on this game, instead of shitting on it due to it's exclusivity perhaps it can be ported to your desired system if the demand is there

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But guys people have been review bombing games for years there...

Idiots don't know a good game when they one.

Be mad for the game being an exclusive but don't review bomb to make a point.

Buy a Switch when you deem it cheap enough to jumo in but at the end of the day, Nintendo funded it.

Paracelsus

I must have made a wrong assumption, because my take on this is not that they bombed it due to its exclusivity, but simply because they think it's a trash game that doesn't deserve such high scores, that the score is rigged due to the Nintendo Bonus® and thus they're balancing the universe.
Kinda like what happened to The Last Jedi, except in that case the user score is legit.

Last edited:
People are stupid

It's sad to see Nintendo engaging in anti-consumer policies and buying exclusives. Gamers should have the choice to where they can play their games.
You’re a moron, this is a Nintendo owned IP

When they release a exclusive they are losing potential consumers on other platforms. Most consumers don't play on Switch.
You’re still a moron, Switch in two and a half years is about to outsell Xbox One lifetime sales. It’s one of the fastest and highest selling systems of all time.
Even if it wasn’t, Nintendo would not have put its own IP on another system.

I must have made a wrong assumption, because my take on this is not that they bombed it due to its exclusivity, but simply because they think it's a trash game that doesn't deserve such high scores, that the score is rigged due to the Nintendo Bonus® and thus they're balancing the universe.
Kinda like what happened to The Last Jedi, except in that case the user score is legit.
Yeah, it's such a legit user score. just look at how legit it is.
pmGpd99.png

So legit. So legit they can't even put into words how legit it is!

Last edited:

cobaltorange

Neo Member
They think it's a trash game without playing it. Sounds like gamers alright.

Bkdk

I do hope they will release the game/sequels in all other platforms as 120 FPS will help this game immensely. I know they develop it for switch due to not having enough funding, now the game is proven to be solid so there should be many people interested for an improved and smoother version of the game.

It's sad to see Nintendo engaging in anti-consumer policies and buying exclusives. Gamers should have the choice to where they can play their games.
Hey, I'm with you. Heck, let's make all games Sony exclusives. No platform beside Sony's deserves any games. They can keep Kirby, we'll give them that.

• LOL

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I do hope they will release the game/sequels in all other platforms as 120 FPS will help this game immensely. I know they develop it for switch due to not having enough funding, now the game is proven to be solid so there should be many people interested for an improved and smoother version of the game.
Except this IP is owned by Nintendo same way any other Nintendo’s IP.

Except this IP is owned by Nintendo same way any other Nintendo’s IP.
Always amazes me that simple things like this is hard for people to grasp. It's like saying Ratchet and Clank should have been on Nintendo just because Sony didn't own Insomniac until last month......

Wrong. They're way, WAY more reliable than critic reviews and give a much better insight on the real value of the game. Except in cases like this one - which are rare and you know exactly you can't trust them.
Actually even in this case the actual user reviews are super strong, only 30 negative to 806 positive at the moment, it's only the actual user score.

Last edited:
Top Bottom