• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI says: Xbox 360 will outperform PS3

Phoenix

ATI says Revolution will outperform Xbox 360. Stock plummets, CEO fired, and employees wonder where there next paycheck will come from.

Does anyone actually expect ATI to even say their hardware will at best perform 'as well' as PS3?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Thats funny, Sony says the exact opposite...

Who is right???

We will find out when *BOTH* are shipping production-ready hardware, which will be in a few months time....

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Phoenix said:
ATI says Revolution will outperform Xbox 360. Stock plummets, CEO fired, and employees wonder where there next paycheck will come from.

Does anyone actually expect ATI to even say their hardware will at best perform 'as well' as PS3?

you know what. that brings up an interesting point. for the first gen ever, the dev of both chips (rev and xbox360) will be the same, and thus can give us a more accurate assessment of which one will be better.

Amir0x

Banned
MetalAlien said:
It better, that's the only thing that saved XB1.

It wasn't the comprehensive online strategy that was actually fulfilled and became a sort of mini-phenomenon of sorts? Or Halo? 'Cause I thought...

stewy

Who gives a shit which will outperform the other? Hasn't it been proven time and time again that superior hardware means dick?

There was a point in time where I wouldn't have given this any consideration. But that was when I thought PS3 would be launching a year after X360. PS3 now won't be launching even 6 months later, so Sony can't really say they have a year's worth of technology advances on MS. So I don't consider this to be too out there. As always, we'll see.

Amir0x said:
It wasn't the comprehensive online strategy that was actually fulfilled and became a sort of mini-phenomenon of sorts? Or Halo? 'Cause I thought...

yeah i mean a console can have no power and obviously automatically take you online, giving you the greatest online gaming experience. oh wait.....maybe thats why Gran turismo 4 wasnt ready for online....because ps2 couldn't handle online gaming as well as xbox....

in all honesty though, everyone has to admit a lot of the xbox accomplishments were possible thanks to its power over the competition.

**cue xbot wave**

Amir0x

Banned
atomiswave said:
yeah i mean a console can have no power and obviously automatically take you online, giving you the greatest online gaming experience. oh wait.....maybe thats why Gran turismo 4 wasnt ready for online....because ps2 couldn't handle online gaming as well as xbox....

Are you suggesting PS2 wasn't technologically capable of offering a similar if not equal online experience (in terms of lag, infrastructure, etc...)?

GhaleonEB

Amir0x said:

Are you suggesting PS2 wasn't technologically capable of offering a similar if not equal online experience (in terms of lag, infrastructure, etc...)?

Having a HD standard sure helped (the upgrades from Live 1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0 required a download to update the system).

Amir0x

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Having a HD standard sure helped (the upgrades from Live 1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0 required a download to update the system).

This is as far from the point as possible. If Sony wanted to, they could choose to have a comprehensive Live-similar system that work even better for those who did have HD, and would provide updates for those people. The technological limitation is none except for the fact that Sony decided just not to.

yeah im not saying ps2 wasn't capable of going online, but what i am saying is that while ps2 could handle say 4-6 players online in gt4 (and that would be pushing it) while the xbox could probably handle 8-10 or even more thanks to its superior power = better online experience.

ill give it to microsoft, their xbox live campaign/strategy was probably what made it known that the xbox could in fact give you a good online gaming.

Amir0x

Banned
atomiswave said:
yeah im not saying ps2 wasn't capable of going online, but what i am saying is that while ps2 could handle say 4-6 players online in gt4 (and that would be pushing it) while the xbox could probably handle 8-10 or even more thanks to its superior power = better online experience.

I don't necessarily agree that more players = better online experience, but I know understand your angle. While I'm sure this is technically true, that's just a limitation of the spec. I'm sure they could tune down the visuals a bit and get you those 8-10 cars. SOCOM 3 has 32 players.

your absolutely right, and i would probably give a flying phuck :) about graphics as long as its a really good game.

but i find it kind of funny that theres a lot of threads whoring over ps3/xbox360 graphics, and its generally the superior console which gets more positive attention(PD ZERO COMES TO MIND). and then you have the mainstream consumers, which probably base all their purchases on graphics. (damn do i know a lot of people like that!)

GhaleonEB

Amir0x said:
This is as far from the point as possible. If Sony wanted to, they could choose to have a comprehensive Live-similar system that work even better for those who did have HD, and would provide updates for those people. The technological limitation is none except for the fact that Sony decided just not to.

Denial - not just a river in Egypt.

So, just to recap - Sony could have beat Live, if they "wanted to", but didn't. And Halo is the only good game on XBox.

These trolls got old years ago.

Amir0x

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Denial - not just a river in Egypt.

So, just to recap - Sony could have beat Live, if they "wanted to", but didn't. And Halo is the only good game on XBox.

These trolls got old years ago.

Are you stupid? Seriously, sometimes I read your posts and wonder "Hey, if I was stupid and tried to make the most stupid post imaginable, how would I make it? I bet Ghaleon has some sort of guide to stupidity."

Because...

a.) Who said anything about it being better than LIVE? I said they could probably get close or match it if they wanted to because they could, there's no real technological limitation here. You might have read "that work even better for those who did have HD" as "work even better than [Xbox Live]", when in reality it just meant "worked even better for those PS2 owners who did own a HD, as opposed to those who do not."

b.) The reason they didn't get a LIVE capable system that equalled Microsoft is far less suggestive then you're implying here, so much so that I wonder if you're even being serious. The reasons for them not utilizing this software infrastructure solution has been covered possibly hundreds of times. (Note: They don't even know if they're doing it for PS3! Are you saying it'd be a technological hurdle there as well so you could go 0 for 2?)

c.) Who said Halo was the only good game? I said Halo was one of the main "Xbox saviours", as it is the only legitimate phenomenon that they had in terms of market appeal. Don't believe me? Looking at sales, the first non-Halo game to reach 1.5 million was Splinter Cell. Please, learn to seperate things. Additionally, what happened to having me on ignore? You should probably put me back on, it's probably too difficult for you to actually address my posts without looking silly.

MetalAlien

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Couldn't have been the games. Nah. Certainly not that.

The PS2 had/has many more must have games. XB had/has many as well, but the sheer volume of great games on the PS2 makes that point moot.

The only reason to own a XB instead (one or the other) of a PS2 (with the exception of wanting a game that is only on XB, (you can find people on both sides of that coin) was the power of the machine. People who choose the XB over a PS2 had to live with the fact that their game selection was going to be a fraction of the competition. The only thing to placate your decision would be that each game you buy is going to look/perform better than any of the other machines could produce. You wouldn't slash your selection of playable games without proper motivation.

The GC is unique/immune because it's the sole home of a legendary series of first party games that have a rabid following, it would sell even if it were a generation behind.

EDIT: besides performing better online is "outperforming" the competition.. I'd allow that.

Amir0x

Banned
MetalAlien said:
The PS2 had/has many more must have games. XB had/has many as well, but the sheer volume of great games on the PS2 makes that point moot.

The only reason to own a XB instead (one or the other) of a PS2 (with the exception of wanting a game that is only on XB, (you can find people on both sides of that coin) was the power of the machine. People who choose the XB over a PS2 had to live with the fact that their game selection was going to be a fraction of the competition. The only thing to placate your decision would be that each game you buy is going to look better than any of the other machines could produce. You wouldn't slash your selection of playable games without proper motivation.

The GC is unique/immune because it's the sole home of a legendary series of first party games that have a rabid following, it would sell even if it were a generation behind.

This, I can't say I agree with all the points. For one, it could just be that you prefer the Xbox exclusive game offerings more than PS2, for whatever reason. For another, why can people prefer Nintendo first party games and not Microsoft's in the same way? I mean, we're talking on an individual level here.

nitewulf

Amir0x said:
Are you stupid? Seriously, sometimes I read your posts and wonder "Hey, if I was stupid and tried to make the most stupid post imaginable, how would I make it? I bet Ghaleon has some sort of guide to stupidity."

Because...

a.) Who said anything about it being better than LIVE? I said they could probably get close or match it if they wanted to because they could, there's no real technological limitation here. You might have read "that work even better for those who did have HD" as "work even better than [Xbox Live]", when in reality it just meant "worked even better for those PS2 owners who did own a HD, as opposed to those who do not."
not as easy as all that though, sony didnt have the planning and they didnt follow through, MS did have a focused plan. if sony could have implemented a better online environment, they damn well would have.
it's like saying anyone can make a zelda killer, a halo killer or a GT killer given time and money.
yeah, those are possible, sure, but not likely.

MetalAlien

Banned
Amir0x said:
This, I can't say I agree with all the points. For one, it could just be that you prefer the Xbox exclusive game offerings more than PS2, for whatever reason. For another, why can people prefer Nintendo first party games and not Microsoft's in the same way? I mean, we're talking on an individual level here.

Well everything is relative, we are talking broad sweeping generalizations.

Amir0x

Banned
nitewulf said:
not as easy as all that though, sony didnt have the planning and they didnt follow through, MS did have a focused plan. if sony could have implemented a better online environment, they damn well would have.
it's like saying anyone can make a zelda killer, a halo killer or a GT killer given time and money.
yeah, those are possible, sure, but not likely.

The discussion was technological limitations, nothing more nothing less. Sony COULD create a system that equalled LIVE, period. Whether they have the capacity to is another debate. And no, again, it's not as cut and dry as you're trying to make it. There were many factors in the decision to not have a unified structure, and none of them included "Oh, well, PS2 can't handle a LIVE system."

Rhindle

I'm not sure what the argument is about here. OF COURSE a new console with an unknown brand name and a no big-name franchises coming to market a year late would not have taken off without a technical edge.

It is a very different situation for Round 2. You now have two strong brand names, each with strong franchises and Xbox with the first to market advantage and a head-start on building its library. I don't think anyone seriously expects that it will need a technical edge in order to be competitive.

nitewulf

i didn't make it cut and dry at all. in fact i think you are simplifying the nature of things by saying nothing is preventing them from implementing such a complex online infrastructure.
i think the fact that they didn't create a similar online system proves exactly that, in fact they COULDN'T create it.
as you say, whether they have the capacity to do so is debatable, and if they in fact dont have the capacity, then they very well COULDNT create it, could they?
and technological limitations are certainy a factor, sony didnt have the internet backbone for that sort of a system. no it's not a limitation of the ps2 chipset, given a backbone, all Ti-83's of the world could be hooked up. but it is a technological limitation nevertheless, and that's why they tried to hook up with AOL long time ago. add to that the fact that the HDD wasnt standard, and you have a whole mess of variables to deal with which farther complicates matters.
so in conclusion, no they werent ready for it, nor capable of it, nor able to implement it.
whether they do it this time around is dependent on their online partners and how much money they are willing to put up for the infrastructure.

MetalAlien

Banned
Rhindle said:
I'm not sure what the argument is about here. OF COURSE a new console with an unknown brand name and a no big-name franchises coming to market a year late would not have taken off without a technical edge.

It is a very different situation for Round 2. You now have two strong brand names, each with strong franchises and Xbox with the first to market advantage and a head-start on building its library. I don't think anyone seriously expects that it will need a technical edge in order to be competitive.

People who (exclusively) bought and enjoyed the XB1 will run out to buy the XB360. People who (exclusively) bought and enjoyed the PS2... will not be motivatied to buy the XB360 if it doesn't give them reason to do so. Looking/performing "as good" is not motivation. Coming out early may help though.

Amir0x

Banned
nitewulf said:
i didn't make it cut and dry at all. in fact i think you are simplifying the nature of things by saying nothing is preventing them from implementing such a complex online infrastructure. i think the fact that they didn't create a similar online system proves exactly that, in fact they COULDN'T create it. As you say, whether they have the capacity to do so is debatable, and if they in fact dont have the capacity, then they very well COULDNT create it, could they?
and technological solutions are certainy a factor, sony didnt have the internet backbone for that sort of a system. no it's not a limitation of the ps2 chipset, given a backbone, all Ti-83's of the world could be hooked up. but it is a technological limitation nevertheless, and that's why they tried to hook up with AOL long time ago. add to that the fact that the HDD wasnt standard, and you have a whole mess of variables to deal with which farther complicates matters. so in conclusion, no they werent ready for it, nor capable of it, nor able to implement it. whether they do it this time around is dependent on their online partners and how much money they are willing to put up for the infrastructure.

They favoured a non-unified structure and it had nothing to do with not being able to create this software based infrastructure. We've discussed this hundreds of times, where have you been? Partially for them it was about developers being able to implement there own systems (like SquareEnix with PLAYONLINE), and partially it was because NOT implementing a Live-like system is cheaper for them.

And no, it's not a technological limitation. They could do it, period, they chose not to, period, and they might still choose not to next-gen. This has nothing to do with not having the technical capabilities to do so. This is Sony, they dropped part of several billion dollars to develop CELL. If it was so difficult to get online in this unified structure they would simply invest the money to make a similar system. Point is, their decision was not based on these limitations.

Any1

MetalAlien said:

The only reason to own a XB instead (one or the other) of a PS2 (with the exception of wanting a game that is only on XB, (you can find people on both sides of that coin) was the power of the machine. People who choose the XB over a PS2 had to live with the fact that their game selection was going to be a fraction of the competition. The only thing to placate your decision would be that each game you buy is going to look/perform better than any of the other machines could produce. You wouldn't slash your selection of playable games without proper motivation.

EDIT: besides performing better online is "outperforming" the competition.. I'd allow that.

I think the general concensus is that the 360, if not slightly less powerful will be on par graphically with the PS3, thereby eliminating the graphical edge that the Xbox enjoyed over the PS2. And according to you, the graphics were the only real reason why anyone would buy an Xbox. So by your logic, the 360 will only sell a fraction of what the Xbox did, correct?

MetalAlien

Banned
Any1 said:
I think the general concensus is that the 360, if not slightly less powerful will be on par graphically with the PS3, thereby eliminating the graphical edge that the Xbox enjoyed over the PS2. And according to you, the graphics were the only real reason why anyone would buy an Xbox. So by your logic, the 360 will only sell a fraction of what the Xbox did, correct?

Not the only reason, it was the reason to justify buying a machine for one game (pick one) knowing it would have a miniscule selection in comparison.

MetalAlien said:
People who (exclusively) bought and enjoyed the XB1 will run out to buy the XB360. People who (exclusively) bought and enjoyed the PS2... will not be motivatied to buy the XB360 if it doesn't give them reason to do so. Looking/performing "as good" is not motivation. Coming out early may help though.

nitewulf

Amir0x said:
They favoured a non-unified structure and it had nothing to do with not being able to create this software based infrastructure. We've discussed this hundreds of times, where have you been?
oh, i don't know, playing a game or reading a book instead? or doing my homework?

And no, it's not a technological limitation. They could do it, period, they chose not to, period, and they might still choose not to next-gen. This has nothing to do with not having the technical capabilities to do so. This is Sony, they dropped part of several billion dollars to develop CELL. If it was so difficult to get online in this unified structure they would simply invest the money to make a similar system. Point is, their decision was not based on these limitations.
sony isn't a bottomless pit of "teh moneys". they have the R&D of cell, their next gen HDTVs, PSP, BlueRay to pay for. on top of all that they might not want to create an online infrastructure capable of a closed system.
they have samsung, motorola, toshiba, MS and nintendo to fight off, while going full force with next gen optical, entertainment and mobile devices.
on top of all that, they are a hardware company, unlike MS, which is an IT company that already had an internet backbone. sony has to create it from scratch or hook up with somebody. yes, its a technological limitation, as in, they dont have the in house know how. at least they didnt at that point in time.
anyone can do research and look into it, and create a seperate division for new technologies if it's economically feasible. thats what R&D is about, and they chose not to, most likely due to economical reasons. whether they have been learning and doing more research, we will find out this upcoming gen.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
MetalAlien said:

Your first problem is you are treating people like machines, and leaving out impluse and randomness. Coming out first is a huge advantage, because next Xmas people wont be comparing 360 to the PS3, they will be comparing it to current systems. Dreamcast had the same advantage, but was hurt because Sega's name was mud by that point in time.

Alot of Sony success came because it was the hot item that everyone had to have. It was the name brand, and it was the system that everyones friends played. Being the number one console is something of a self fullfilling prophecy.. its hard to topple the number one console, because people are more willing to buy the number one console for a number of reasons.

Sony has alot going for it, but MS's argument that the first one to 10 million is the winner isnt completely off base. They seem to think that is the magic number at which the consoles sales will become self perpetuating as the console that everyone has to have because everyone has one. Of course, MS hitting 10 million worldwide while Sony is at 9.5 million wont really do the trick, but if one console can hit 10 million while the other is hovering around 2-3 million it could be enough to "sink" the other one as being little more than a second choice.

909er

Any1 said:

Of course, that's if you completely ignore that the Xbox ever existed, and the Xbox 360 will be going into the fray this fall as a newbie console with no brand name, no franchises, no established history of 3rd party support, a relatively large fanbase, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
nitewulf said:
oh, i don't know, playing a game or reading a book instead? or doing my homework?

Oh, you do that thing... what is it called? "Going Outside"? I hear that's awesome.

nitewulf said:
most likely due to economical reasons. whether they have been learning and doing more research, we will find out this upcoming gen.

Yes, they're not a bottomless pit of money. Again, we're discussing technological limitations as in PS2 not being able to handle a LIVE-based system. You're going off into these tangental replies, but that's not really what we're discussing. Like I said, one of the main reasons was economic considerations - a non-unified structure is simply cheaper. But if Sony wanted to, which they obviously don't since even now they won't be having as extensive a system as LIVE for PS3, they could provide a system that could equal its competitors (of course, as you said, Microsoft is an IT company so it'd be much cheaper for them to develop this).

MetalAlien

Banned
StoOgE said:
Your first problem is you are treating people like machines, and leaving out impluse and randomness. Coming out first is a huge advantage, because next Xmas people wont be comparing 360 to the PS3, they will be comparing it to current systems. Dreamcast had the same advantage, but was hurt because Sega's name was mud by that point in time.

Alot of Sony success came because it was the hot item that everyone had to have. It was the name brand, and it was the system that everyones friends played. Being the number one console is something of a self fullfilling prophecy.. its hard to topple the number one console, because people are more willing to buy the number one console for a number of reasons.

Sony has alot going for it, but MS's argument that the first one to 10 million is the winner isnt completely off base. They seem to think that is the magic number at which the consoles sales will become self perpetuating as the console that everyone has to have because everyone has one. Of course, MS hitting 10 million worldwide while Sony is at 9.5 million wont really do the trick, but if one console can hit 10 million while the other is hovering around 2-3 million it could be enough to "sink" the other one as being little more than a second choice.

Fair enough, history will tell, and GAF will argue... but imagine the advertising tidal wave Sony will release to make sure people are comparing the XB360 to the PS3... not the PS2.. We shall see...

nitewulf

Amir0x said:
Again, we're discussing technological limitations as in PS2 not being able to handle a LIVE-based system. You're going off into these tangental replies, but that's not really what we're discussing.

you're a smart guy amirox, and i dont want to accuse you of not reading and come off as a prick, but i dont understand what's going on here.

and technological limitations are certainy a factor, sony didnt have the internet backbone for that sort of a system. no it's not a limitation of the ps2 chipset, given a backbone, all Ti-83's of the world could be hooked up.

Amir0x

Banned
nitewulf said:
you're a smart guy amirox, and i dont want to accuse you of not reading and come off as a prick, but i dont understand what's going on here.

Ok, so, why are we arguing? Because exactly what you bolded there is the entire point :p

Top Bottom