• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass Hurts Sales, Says Dev Behind Xbox Game Pass Title

feynoob

Oh indeed. Save the rest of your condescending breath.

The numbers don't lie.
Hey, if those numbers makes you feel better, then good for you.

Just one important lesson. If you want to know about something, think of it outside of box. Might help you a lot in the future.

feynoob

MS even admitted as such to the CMA 🤷‍♀️

I guess you know more outside their box.
That gamepass eats their sales right?

Because that was the most obvious fact that people know about it.
But do you know that sales can be generated from gamepass too? Because that service is a passive income, which covers the lost sales.

But that is something people don't pay attention. All they care is copies sold and not the revenue that can be earned from other avenue.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That gamepass eats their sales right?

Because that was the most obvious fact that people know about it.
But do you know that sales can be generated from gamepass too? Because that service is a passive income, which covers the lost sales.

But that is something people don't pay attention. All they care is copies sold and not the revenue that can be earned from other avenue.
Revenue =/= profit.

Winter John

Gold Member
I expect what it actually does is hurt the sales of shitty games. Christ knows it’s saved me from buying a bunch of em. On the flip side though if I play something I like I’ll probably buy it. 2 Point Hospital is a real good example. That’s the type of game I would never have bought, but I gave it a shot because it was on GP. I enjoyed it so much I bought it straight away.

Denton

The only reason why I played Sommerville was due to its presence on gamepass. If it was not there I never would have bought it and played it. So..

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Game Pass absolutely cannibalizes sales.

But the developer chose to put their game on it, and was paid upfront to put it there. Kind of silly to go complaining about lost sales. What did they expect?
Maybe they were lied to by Microsoft who were saying it increases sales up until last year.

feynoob

Revenue =/= profit.
For your information, you get profit after you cover everything.

For a service like gamepass, you need that extra money to be put back to the service for new contents which is why you don't see a profit.

All these day1 games are the result of those overflow revenue, which could have been a profit, but was used to put those content back to the service.

See, you learn new stuff.

cireza

That's been rather obvious for some years now, as Xbox themselves admitted that Game Pass canibalizes its own titles sales
Reminder :

Want direct sales ? Make a better game maybe ? I bought several games after discovering them on Game Pass, so this situation also exists and leads to sales that would have not happened without the service.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
For your information, you get profit after you cover everything.

For a service like gamepass, you need that extra money to be put back to the service for new contents which is why you don't see a profit.

All these day1 games are the result of those overflow revenue, which could have been a profit, but was used to put those content back to the service.

See, you learn new stuff.
Keep going.
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

nemiroff

Gold Member
Duh.

1. "Less sales"..? Yeah, no shit Sherlock, that's kinda one of the important points/nature of GP.
2. Somerville wasn't that compelling, I played it and it's kinda bland in a vast ocean of better games.

Thus the devs made a good deal with MS and GP probably made them more money than they otherwise would.

Nautilus

Banned
Reminder :

Want direct sales ? Make a better game maybe ? I bought several games after discovering them on Game Pass, so this situation also exists and leads to sales that would have not happened without the service.
Sure, making better games obviously helps, but nobody inside the service will buy the game if they have the game for "free" due to the service. And if you want the game, its cheaper to pay for the service rather than buying the game.(10 or 15 dollars vs 70 dollars).

Plus, Xbox ADMITTED themselves it cannabilizes direct sales. There is no higher authority than the developer and platform holder themselves. This by itself should be an argument ender, and indisputable fact.

MacReady13

These posts are always annoying. I click through and the game is always some average indie game. I reckon that making mediocre games hurts sales more than being on gamepass since most players will just ignore your game.
Bullshit. All I hear from people who have Game Pass is that "I have found so many indie games I would NEVER have played if not for Game Pass". Then suddenly some indie dev talks shit about this sub service and they are "average"?!?

Bond007

I have all consoles and all subscriptions- so maybe that helps point me in a direction that does not appear biased.

I don't really feel the hype of GamePass. Outside of big exclusives on day one (hardly any ay this point) i have minimal interest in the service outside of trying older games out which ends up being more of a demo.
The media tells me Gamepass is a game changer- um, perhaps if Sony/Nintendo was doing it and i was getting tons of exclusives within a packaged fee day one, but they aren't. So as it stands, I find the service to be second rate when most of the games offered dont interest me or could be found elsewhere if i really wanted it rather than paying monthly for a service.

Most people arent gonna play all these games, just like someone isnt gonna watch the full Netflix library. So, its the ultimate demo service for me so that if i really like something i will snag it up for cheap and play it on an ecosystem and controller i prefer.

AND- when the good exclusives do come, why the heck would I pay full price? Or whats stopping someone from cancelling their subscription after getting bored with said exclusive?
The only way to keep people on board is by providing experiences you cant find anywhere outside of XBOX.

Last edited:

cireza

but nobody inside the service will buy the game if they have the game for "free" due to the service.
This is wrong to begin with. And this a minority as 85% of the revenue comes the rest, so people buying games.

Plus, Xbox ADMITTED themselves it cannabilizes direct sales.
Cannibalizes ? Come on. They said that there was a decline in sales twelve months after a game was put in Game Pass. This is, again, a small fact being turned into something huge in order to mislead people.

This narrative of Xbox players not buying games is utterly ridiculous.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
This is wrong to begin with. And this a minority as 85% of the revenue comes the rest, so people buying games.

Cannibalizes ? Come on. They said that there was a decline in sales twelve months after a game was put in Game Pass. This is, again, a small fact being turned into something huge in order to mislead people.

This narrative of Xbox players not buying games is utterly ridiculous.
Xbox themselves admitted as much. The guys with acess to the data have said as much.

Anyone denying it, or downplaying the situation, is simply in denial.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Maybe they were lied to by Microsoft who were saying it increases sales up until last year.

That’s on them. Do your due diligence. Talk to your fellow developers who used it.

I’d like to think developers are smarter than to just take pr talk at face value.

SlimySnake

That’s on them. Do your due diligence. Talk to your fellow developers who used it.

I’d like to think developers are smarter than to just take pr talk at face value.
I could argue that this is exactly what this dev is doing. This is a PSA to anyone who is being lied to or talked into releasing games day one on gamepass.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
yeah. There is no incentive to go in and give the game a real shot.

Imagine if everyone quit demon souls after the first 30 minutes lol. it took some people 5 hours to get through to the first boss back in 2009.
It took me 6 months. I cursed a lot and closed the game after I kept finding myself in front of that damn castle. But because I paid for it, I felt the need to come back. The rest is history. Funny thing is, I bought the game accidentaly. I couldn't remove it from my cart(didn't saw that "x" button) and clicked next.

I stopped playing hi-fi rush, atomic heart, deathloop, narco, high on life after few hours. If I had paid for them, I would probably give them another chance. On the other hand, I finished Wo Long(perfect), Pentament(awful) and playing Ghostwire atm. I haven't decided yet whether I should thank gamepass for this situation. It's a blessing and a curse at the same time I guess.

Quantum253

People know what interest's them and what doesn't. If a smaller unknown title is available on a streaming/paid service, it's great you get the exposure otherwise would have been missed. I'm sure sales are supplemented in some way by Microsoft so you're not working for free to put a game on their service.
The downside is now hundreds of thousands more people have access to your game, whereas a small fraction would have purchased it just to try it. I would think access to a very large gaming group would be a blessing for a small developer. However, if your title is buggy (more or less unplayable), and lacks imagination/direction/interest, most people will try it and then never pick it up again. You could always code a tipping window that pops up every 10 minutes asking for a tip if you like the game so far...

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is a PSA to anyone who is being lied to or talked into releasing games day one on gamepass.
"Lies".. It's as if the brakes haven't been used in a while and became corroded, because now you're off the crazy cliff of notions without as much as a lifebuoy to hold on to.

SlimySnake

It took me 6 months. I cursed a lot and closed the game after I kept finding myself in front of that damn castle. But because I paid for it, I felt the need to come back. The rest is history. Funny thing is, I bought the game accidentaly. I couldn't remove it from my cart(didn't saw that "x" button) and clicked next.

I stopped playing hi-fi rush, atomic heart, deathloop, narco, high on life after few hours. If I had paid for them, I would probably give them another chance. On the other hand, I finished Wo Long(perfect), Pentament(awful) and playing Ghostwire atm. I haven't decided yet whether I should thank gamepass for this situation. It's a blessing and a curse at the same time I guess.
Yeah, I get it. I actually got it on PS+ around 2011 or 2012 because all of my friends who imported it from japan said that I would not have the patience to beat it. Took me 5 hours just to open the gate to the first boss. Beat it on the first try. died at the dragon. my friends told me to go get the crescent falchion from 4-1. died ten times just going past the skeletons and never touched it again until after the remake came out.

I skipped DS1 and DS2 but bought Bloodborne and again, took 5 hours to beat the first boss. This time though, maybe because i had paid $60 for it, i kept at it and never really had any problems with any of the other bosses. That game is what got me into the souls series and i went and bought DS1 and DS2 playing them back to back wondering why i never gave this series a real shot.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I could argue that this is exactly what this dev is doing. This is a PSA to anyone who is being lied to or talked into releasing games day one on gamepass.

What makes you think anyone is being lied to or talked into releasing their games on Game Pass?? This developer was paid to do this.

You’re making it sound like Microsoft is taking advantage of people, when in reality we’ve been hearing positivity from Game Pass.
By the way, this developer’s game is sitting with Mixed Reviews on Steam. No one here is even discussing the game, either. Sounds like Game Pass is a scapegoat for his game not measuring up to their previous releases.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/no-more-robots-im-just-doing-d-and-d-but-in-a-discord-server

Rose adds: "Being on Game Pass means that you basically have constant featuring on Xbox. You're game is on the dashboard all the time... People are seeing our game every day.

https://exputer.com/news/industry/koei-tecmo-xbox-game-pass-ps-plus/

SlimySnake

What makes you think anyone is being lied to or talked into releasing their games on Game Pass?? This developer was paid to do this.

You’re making it sound like Microsoft is taking advantage of people, when in reality we’ve been hearing positivity from Game Pass.
By the way, this developer’s game is sitting with Mixed Reviews on Steam. No one here is even discussing the game, either. Sounds like Game Pass is a scapegoat for his game not measuring up to their previous releases.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/no-more-robots-im-just-doing-d-and-d-but-in-a-discord-server

Rose adds: "Being on Game Pass means that you basically have constant featuring on Xbox. You're game is on the dashboard all the time... People are seeing our game every day.

https://exputer.com/news/industry/koei-tecmo-xbox-game-pass-ps-plus/
You said this is the developers fault for signing the contract in the first place. I then said maybe they signed it because they were told that putting games on gamepass would increase sales. Something MS has repeatedly touted, well until last year when they admitted to CMA that it was cannibalizing their sales. So they were saying one thing in public and another thing internally. Definition of lying.

I dont understand why you are upset at this guy for stating his experience with gamepass when you're ok with other devs sharing their more positive experiences. Let people speak so they can make better more informed decisions that arent influenced by PR and sales guys.

Last edited:

Three

To me it sounds like he's talking about gamepass monetisation for his game. Maybe he is saying 10mintes is required for monetisation much like youtube videos trying to stretch content to 10 minutes for monetisation but people don't hang around if the first 10 minutes of a game aren't amazing. 10 minutes might not be enough to judge the game and people just stop. He also doesn't like MTX which is why he prefers the premium model. Otherwise why would he care how many people play 10 minutes or more if it doesn't mean increased sales?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Bullshit. All I hear from people who have Game Pass is that "I have found so many indie games I would NEVER have played if not for Game Pass". Then suddenly some indie dev talks shit about this sub service and they are "average"?!?

You certainly can discover a lot of games on there. The smaller games coming day one is a big part of the service, you get some games that hit with users and others that don't. Gong strictly by this developers own words, it seems like the this game had a hard time maintaining engagement with the GP user base. It's that specific point that makes it appear that GP users looked at the game as average or below average. Nothing to do with the the developers opinions.

Warablo

"I also think it hurts sales. Because a lot of people just go in and try it, and they don't invest. If they don't like the first 10 minutes? That's it. Also, if you don't make the first 10 minutes amazing, maybe it's also a problem. I think [Game Pass] is okay. It's not my favorite. My favorite is the old premium model, where I sell you on some video, on big images and earn your $30. And then after that, I have to deliver. I don't need to get money out of you later."
Certainly love his bait and switch techniques. I believe earning it would actually being able to try it first.

Schmendrick

No shit Sherlock, that's why MS pays to have the games on their service, to make up for lost revenue and then some.
That's why you don't see the really big AAA games on there day one (except first party auf ofc)

Top Bottom