• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta Falcons to offer the lowest concession prices in professional sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey

People. the free soda's isn't gonna be that huge of a deal. Maybe get it for your fat kids, but adults will definitely be downing a few $5 bud lights at a falcon game.

I hope this catches on. Most stadium food makes movie theater food prices look like a bargain. $8 bottle of water, $8 plain nachos, $12+ for a warm beer, etc.

RBH

Didn't think about this until now, but this might've played a role in Atlanta's presentation to the NFL for a Super Bowl bid as well.

Klocker

This is perfect

Agree that the revenue stream just becomes greed in the scheme of things. Good on Falcons for recognizing the fans... sure hope the rest of the stadiums take note. Also love the tax rounded up to nearest dollar, no change, different limes for refills and more availability and making up for it in volume..

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Awesome, with the price of tickets these days.. shit like concessions was overkill.. this is to try to get families back to games.

RBH

ATLANTA - Mercedes-Benz Stadium is back on schedule.

Atlanta Falcons President and CEO Rich McKay said construction of the Falcons' future home is between 50 and 60 percent completed and is on time for a June 2017 opening.

"Right now, we're confident in the completion date," McKay said.

"It amazes me every time I come inside this building how much progress they've made," Falcons Owner Arthur Blank said.

There were major setbacks that threatened the timetable of the stadium opening on time.

Crews were struggling to stay on pace with concrete pouring to create the superstructure of the stadium.

"We started to fall critically behind. We ended concrete ahead of schedule," McKay said.

McKay credits the construction company and the crews for getting the pouring back on schedule.

He said they had overcome a similar issue with steel, which they are having fabricated in 32 plants across the United States and Canada, according to Blank.

Pieces of the large, eight-piece retractable roof are continuing to go up with careful mechanization to ensure it opens flawlessly.

McKay struck down rumors that pieces of the roof had been too heavy. He said he had only heard of "continuous engineering" going on while the roof continues to be constructed.

The stadium is projected to be LEED Certified at the Platinum level, according to Blank. It would be the only sports-entertainment complex in the United States with that high level of certification.

"It's going to be an incredible design, incredible construction and incredible way we operate in terms of sustainability of the environment moving forward," Blank said.
http://www.11alive.com/sports/mercedes-benz-stadium-construction-is-back-on-time/197096742

painey

This is amazing. I would buy beer at major sporting events if they were $5. It's so stupid how they price themselves out of the market. I don't buy a beer for $7 but if you make them $5 I'll buy 2 and you'll get more money out of me anyway.

It pisses me off when I go to a sports game and see these fucking idiots eating a $9 corndog. People like that are the reason they keep selling $9 corndogs and $7 sodas

This is amazing. I would buy beer at major sporting events if they were $5. It's so stupid how they price themselves out of the market. I don't buy a beer for $7 but if you make them $5 I'll buy 2 and you'll get more money out of me anyway.

It pisses me off when I go to a sports game and see these fucking idiots eating a $9 corndog. People like that are the reason they keep selling $9 corndogs and $7 sodas

Its because there is no choice and I'm fucking hungry. Sorry if that makes me an idiot. If I can afford a good seat and parking for a game, I can probably afford the $8 hotdog and $6 Coke.

milanbaros

Member?

Yes, but surely part of it is limited supply. At least in the older stadia there is only a limited capacity to serve. You would either have bad queues or charge people enough to keep the supply and demand reasonable.

A small part admittedly, but that is part of it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Thats awesome. Im scared to go to a panthers game this year based on our run last year.

Ticket and food prices jumping for sure.

I expect them to introduce Premium Foods at higher prices to make up for perceived lost revenue.

Some chains will be involved. Places like Five Guys, Ruth Chris, Chick-Fil-A, etc., we're on a survey I filled out asking to rank which ones I liked more for each type of cuisine. That's what they mean about other offerings, those will be restaurant prices as well.

Unless I'm missing something, this is probably the case. Also, the screaming shits because I can't imagine cheap food in Atlanta being great. Got to pre-game a sleeve of Pepto tablets.

Aside from the PSL prices, for my tickets the price of tickets only rose about $20-30 dollars for the first 3 years of the new stadium. I do not know how much single game tickets might rise though.

daveo42

Banned
Prices like these would get me to actually buy food at the game instead of loading up before or just waiting till after. You could easily spend $12 on a 12oz cup of piss beer at pretty much any professional game alone. I'd love it if more places took this approach.

Oh hey, no mark-up prices. I guess they hope to make fast food traffic?
Can see fans actually dishing out money for food. I always just bought a drink at most sports events because LOL prices.

Can see tickets getting a mark-up in its place which to me is fair.

Drazgul

The [ATLANTA FALCONS] are my favorite team!

431680.jpg

Allforce

With 670 concession areas they're definitely going to have some premium items outside of 2 dollar hot dogs and 3 dollar pretzels. That's an astounding number of places to buy food in one building. That's how they're getting away with this and it's pretty awesome.

The Georgia Dome is fucking huge and had roughly 300 concession areas. I can see this model being integrated into any new large facility going forward as it's a win-win for everyone. Double the locations to buy concessions, halve the price, and make more and more areas self-serve like the soda fountains.

5 dollar beers is just the icing on the cake though, that's crazy in 2016. I think last time I went to a Blue Jackets NHL game I paid 9 bucks for a 24 oz can of beer which I didn't find offensive considering it's the Blue Jackets and you're going to need at least 2-3 of those to get through a game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
With 670 concession areas they're definitely going to have some premium items outside of 2 dollar hot dogs and 3 dollar pretzels. That's an astounding number of places to buy food in one building. That's how they're getting away with this and it's pretty awesome.

The Georgia Dome is fucking huge and had roughly 300 concession areas. I can see this model being integrated into any new large facility going forward as it's a win-win for everyone. Double the locations to buy concessions, halve the price, and make more and more areas self-serve like the soda fountains.

5 dollar beers is just the icing on the cake though, that's crazy in 2016. I think last time I went to a Blue Jackets NHL game I paid 9 bucks for a 24 oz can of beer which I didn't find offensive considering it's the Blue Jackets and you're going to need at least 2-3 of those to get through a game.

I agree that they will surely have higher end options as well. But having a solid number of lower cost options is critical and will be very well recieved. If nothing else having stuff for kids that is simple and affordable, and self-refillable sodas, will be a boon to families.

willow ve

The only thing I can think of is that coke syrup is so cheap and the Falcons must have a deal with Coke. I'd love to see the math on how much a 20oz coke from a fountain machine really costs.
It's been somewhat answered, but I have some personal experience with a convenience store chain.

The cost to provide their 32OZ Coke was $0.07. And that's an "all in price" ie: includes cup, straw, soda, employee pay, maintenance and depreciation on the building, chilling/cooling, ice, electrical etc. They sold all their soda for $0.99 and it was their main revenue stream across their entire chain.

Owensboro

It's been somewhat answered, but I have some personal experience with a convenience store chain.

The cost to provide their 32OZ Coke was $0.07. And that's an "all in price" ie: includes cup, straw, soda, employee pay, maintenance and depreciation on the building, chilling/cooling, ice, electrical etc. They sold all their soda for $0.99 and it was their main revenue stream across their entire chain.

Awesome, thanks for the firsthand experience! $0.07 ain't a lot, but I wonder how much of that is the cup... $0.01 maybe? I love that the depreciation of the building was included.

Ultryx

Holy shit! I don't live in Atlanta or near any stadiums any more, but I remember how much I used to pay at Angel's and Dodger's games. These are really, really excellent prices.

RBH

i

The Atlanta Falcons are making sure people in town are aware of the low concession prices at their new Mercedes-Benz Stadium, which opens in 2017. They've sent direct mail pieces to prospective buyers of season tickets boasting of the value eats that includes a $2 bill, which is the cost of many items, including a hot dog.

RBH

falcons-inside.jpg

Mercedes-Benz Stadium officials announced Wednesday the lineup of restaurant partners that will be featured in the new Falcons stadium when it opens next year.

The partners, mostly Atlanta-based, will offer menu items “priced comparably or the same as what is found in their respective restaurants,” according to the announcement.

Here’s the lineup provided by stadium officials:

• Antico pizza

• Bruster’s Real Ice Cream

• Chick-fil-A

• Golden Brown & Delicious, a Southern concept from Concentrics Restaurants

• Delia’s Chicken Sausage

• Farm Burger, locally-sourced grass-fed beef burgers

• Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q

• Iberian Pig, modern Spanish fare by Castellucci Hospitality Group

• Jim ‘N Nicks barbeque

• Kevin Gillespie’s Gamechanger, “big flavors with playful riffs on American indulgence”

• King of Pops, popsicles

• Miss D’s Popcorn (also pralines and sweets)

• Snackology 101 Market, natural and organic foods

• Sublime Doughnuts

• The Varsity, “iconic hot dogs and part of Atlanta’s history since 1928”

Mercedes-Benz Stadium and concession partner Levy Restaurants polled some 4,000 Falcons and Atlanta United fans about the types of food and restaurants they want in the stadium, according to the announcement.

Earlier this year, the stadium unveiled a plan to buck sports-industry tradition with sharply reduced prices on some popular concession-stand items, including $2 hot dogs, $2 soft drinks (with free refills) and $3 nachos.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium, scheduled to open next summer, will be home to the Falcons and the Atlanta United soccer team. College football’s national championship game will be played there in January 2018, the Super Bowl in February 2019 and college basketball’s Final Four in April 2020.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/...s-restaurant-partners/Aay0h3P90GbFUiDHtl9VYL/

RBH

Bet the prices will spike next year.

Bet you didn't read the OP.

The menu and pricing model – which will allow a family of four to consume the typical game-day purchases for $28 or less – will be in effect for Atlanta Falcons (NFL) and Atlanta United (MLS) games, as well as major events at Mercedes-Benz Stadium including the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, SEC Championship Game, the College Football National Championship (2018) and the NCAA Men’s Final Four slated for 2020. The pricing and product offerings will be the same for concerts, conventions and other special events booked at the stadium.

Is this the only time a Chik Fil A will be open for business on a Sunday?

I said this in the other thread - them being in the stadium may not be analog to them being open on Falcons game days. There are a ton of other events for them to work with. 6-8 Sundays isn't going to make them break their Sunday promise.

I said this in the other thread - them being in the stadium may not be analog to them being open on Falcons game days. There are a ton of other events for them to work with. 6-8 Sundays isn't going to make them break their Sunday promise.
Still, that's a lot of revenue being forfeited if they decline to sell products during NFL games. Especially when they'd still have to pay rent on the space regardless.

Then again, they've gotten this far only operating on 6/7ths of the revenue they could possibly have - and look where they are now.

Still, that's a lot of revenue being forfeited if they decline to sell products during NFL games. Especially when they'd still have to pay rent on the space regardless.

Then again, they've gotten this far only operating on 6/7ths of the revenue they could possibly have - and look where they are now.

Yeah, it's not going to be about profits here either. I'll wager real money those stands will be closed on Sunday. The real question would be the Super Bowl, but even then at least if the Cathy's are still in charge I'd bet it wouldn't happen.

Heroman

Banned

I work there and the dome is barely use outside of big events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom