• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

Retro

Im confused by this... The chart says Maximum sustained winds is still at 120.
Which means its still a Cat 3. Am I watching the wrong thing?

That's the 2PM advisory, hurricane hunters were out after that. Watch for the next advisory at 5 PM.

Edit: Beaten

Just seen this pic of Irma from the ISS:
jupiter_junocam_grs1.jpeg

Pesmerga00

Yea barely.

Maximum Winds: 115 kt Gusts: 140 kt
Minimum Central Pressure: 944 mb
Environmental Pressure: 1011 mb
Radius of Circulation: 250 NM
Radius of Maximum Wind: 15 NM
Eye Diameter: N/A

I am fucking shaking with anxiety right now.

The only positive news I have had, is that the one contractor we hired, called back and said we were eligible for a differed payment on our roof(to pay when house is sold). The problem being, they are backed up with emergency jobs. They wont be able to get to us for a few weeks.

methane47

That's the 2PM advisory, hurricane hunters were out after that. Watch for the next advisory at 5 PM.

Edit: Beaten

Ok are we sure, because the website linked for that information says that the data is as of 18:00 UTC which is the same as the 2PM update.

Furthermore the tweet linked https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/904781019492093952/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fstorm2k.org%2Fphpbb2%2FEmbedTweet.html%23904781019492093952

Has a time stamp of 11:59 AM. also before the 2pm update. sooooo why the descrepancy?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Retro

Ok are we sure, because the website linked for that information says that the data is as of 18:00 UTC which is the same as the 2PM update.

Furthermore the tweet linked https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/904781019492093952/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fstorm2k.org%2Fphpbb2%2FEmbedTweet.html%23904781019492093952

Has a time stamp of 11:59 AM. also before the 2pm update. sooooo why the descrepancy?

I'm looking at this image on their page (I've re-hosted, since they're linking directly to the image on the NOAA website that link will automatically update with new advisories);

That was posted at 2PM AST (Atlantic Standard, which is right now synced with Eastern Daylight Time), which is also 18:00 UTC. The tweet you linked has a timestamp of 2:59 PM for me and I'm in EDT, so it went up at a few minutes before 1900 UTC.

Ihyll

I'm looking at this image on their page (I've re-hosted, since they're linking directly to the image on the NOAA website that link will automatically update with new advisories);

That was posted at 2PM AST (Atlantic Standard, which is right now synced with Eastern Daylight Time), which is also 18:00 UTC.

So there's a possibility it will enter the gulf?

methane47

That was posted at 2PM AST (Atlantic Standard, which is right now synced with Eastern Daylight Time), which is also 18:00 UTC. The tweet you linked has a timestamp of 2:59 PM for me and I'm in EDT, so it went up at a few minutes before 1900 UTC.

Ok and that chart says 120MPH which is still a cat3

As a South Floridian, this storm worries me. Then again i thought Matthew was going to destroy us.

Still need to watch, this could be disastrous depending on how it goes. I just hope it doesn't go to the Gulf into Texas, those guys have had way to much to deal with recently.

Retro

So there's a possibility it will enter the gulf?

... How do you get that from my post? The cone shows anywhere the storm is projected to be 1-5 days out (1-3 is in the white area, 4-5 is in the patterned area). It could be way down at the bottom of the cone, way out in the front or way up at the top, that's why everyone always says "wait for things to clear up but keep an eye on it". Also keep in mind that that's just the current projection; that cone may shift as the storm gets closer and the models get clearer.

Ok and that chart says 120MPH which is still a cat3

Because this map is from the 2PM advisory, which is before the recon flights went in and observed Category 4 conditions.

NHC has confirm, Officially a Cat 4 storm at 130MPH winds. Storm now moving due West at 13 mph

Still waiting on track.

Irma remains an impressive hurricane in satellite imagery. The
eye has become a little smaller and cloud filled this afternoon,
perhaps the result of an ongoing eyewall replacement. An Air Force
reserve reconnaissance aircraft reported a double-eyewall structure
and double wind maximums during the first pass through Irma but
noted that the eyewalls had consolidated somewhat during their
second pass through the center. The aircraft measured
flight-level wind of 121 kt in the northeast eyewall and SFMR winds
of 113 kt. Based on these reports, the peak intensity has been
increased to 115 kt, making Irma a category four hurricane.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/042037.shtml

Griss

If it keeps shifting south we might be okay here. Current track would still be really bad.

Worst part about all of this is that it's due to hit us from 8pm Thursday until 7am Friday. So the entire thing is going to happen in the dark.

It's not that I find it frightening, it's just that if my house and car are going to be utterly wrecked I'd at least like to see a show for my troubles.

Blizzard

Banned
South Florida residents: Go get a case or two of bottled water, (Or Gallon jugs) and make sure your gas tanks are full. Now is the time to take preliminary action.
Already filled up gas and did basic shopping. FEMA recommended a gallon per day per person with water I believe.

I learned not to wait even a day after Matthew last time. We got lucky it didn't hit, but people went bananas shopping and I don't want to repeat the Wal-Mart: Battle Royale Edition experience.

Zuly

Welp. Good shit, lads. Hopefully it goes down by the time in reaches San Juan or else ggwp. I live next to a fucking forest but I don't think I have to worry too much about flooding with Irma. I'm already stocked up and prepared for a week+ without utilities.

MrNelson

Banned
South Florida residents: Go get a case or two of bottled water, (Or Gallon jugs) and make sure your gas tanks are full. Now is the time to take preliminary action.
Went to pick up a few cases during my regular grocery trip here in North Tampa and they were flying off the shelves.

Zeeman

I'm moving to Atlanta this week and completely new to the concept of hurricanes. I know we're farther inland, but what are the chances Irma hits us there? How should we prepare?

Latest Euro ensemble forecast. A lot of intense tracks near south Florida and numerous tracks that take it right up through Florida.

DI6H5krWsAEOJ-T.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If it keeps shifting south we might be okay here. Current track would still be really bad.

That would be terrible for me in the Virgin Islands. I'm hoping for a sharp northward turn and then it just turns back towards the Atlantic and avoids everyone.

That would be terrible for me in the Virgin Islands. I'm hoping for a sharp northward turn and then it just turns back towards the Atlantic and avoids everyone.

Also, people keep saying they hope it goes south because it would be 'good,' but they are just referring to it being good for them and their location. If it held south, then it will just hit some other state instead of Florida.

MrNelson

Banned
I'm moving to Atlanta this week and completely new to the concept of hurricanes. I know we're farther inland, but what are the chances Irma hits us there? How should we prepare?
If you get anything it will just be a lot of rain and some wind. Tropical cyclones really start falling apart once they are over land.

Retro

Hurricanes head inland all the time, though they tend to severely weaken after landfall. That doesn't mean they're not a threat, but being so far inland your big worries are wind, rain (TS Alberto in 94 dumped 9-13 inches of rain just south of ATL) and tornadoes (Cindy in 2005 spawned a bunch of tornadoes in the Atlanta area). Expect wind damage (Trees, maybe some minor roof damage), power outages and flooding. Obviously the stronger the storm and the faster it moves inland, the worse things will be.

Setmeni

Rick Scott just declared a state of emergency for Florida, make sure everyone gets stocked up now before people go crazy tomorrow.

deadbeef

Ugh I have travel in the panhandle scheduled for the week of the 11th. Anxiously watching this. I wish it would just turn north now and head out to sea.

Welp, I chose the perfect time to move to Miami :{

I'm not even home, I'll be away working until the end of the month so I'll have to pray that my family stays safe until I get back.

dabig2

Rick Scott just declared a state of emergency for Florida, make sure everyone gets stocked up now before people go crazy tomorrow.

Sounds like a new news, new thread type of thing; at least a dedicated one for the islands that are about to get torn up by this monster. This hurricane could hit cat 5 status based on what I'm hearing about the unusually warm waters it still has yet to arrive to.

Top Bottom