• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

Pagusas

Elden Member
About how far out should I start paying attention to the Gulf if my crusise from Galveston to Honduras leaves on October 1st?

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk, can we make a Google doc or something to keep us organized and help each other if this hits hard?

bengraven

Trying to find a generator is a pain in the ass here in north central Florida. All the Lowes and Home Depot's are sold out and people on CL are jacking up prices.

Retro

Sounds like a new news, new thread type of thing; at least a dedicated one for the islands that are about to get torn up by this monster. This hurricane could hit cat 5 status based on what I'm hearing about the unusually warm waters it still has yet to arrive to.

We've got an Irma thread already, here. A mod can certainly update the title.

MiamiGAF checking in, wish us luck. Buying supplies tomorrow.
My brother told me that most of the stores in our area were cleaned out of bottled water and other staples yesterday before the state of emergency was declared. They better get restocks in pronto.

Hobbles

Bringing along a friend? 😬

OnRI4Ic.gif

TheSun

Well, luckily I have some of the supplies from the last hurricane.

I still need to get other stuff just in case things go tits.

Bloody hell.

teiresias

Given the frequency of storms and getting even grazed this year and last here in Hampton Roads, I think I'm going to look into getting flood insurance next season even though I'm in Zone X.

UberTag

When was the last time the remains of a powerful hurricane tracked over Southern Ontario? I hope we don't have another Hurricane Hazel on our hands.
Hazel was really odd. You don't hear about too many Cat 1 hurricanes killing 81 people in Toronto... but that one did exactly that.
We've had a similar set-up this summer, too... with no shortage of rainfall and very little drought to speak of.
No shortage of tourists and celebrities in Toronto next week, too... as TIFF will be in full swing.

Bringing along a friend? 😬

OnRI4Ic.gif

That looks legit terrifying and would decimate the east coast with a one-two punch I'm not certain has ever happened.

How should Raleigh/Durham fare?
Holly Springs checking in. Bought a generator after we were without power for three days after Matthew. Gonna get some oil and gas for it mid-week and make sure it fires up.

Also, I'm supposed to fly to Los Angeles (having its own problems) on Monday, via Atlanta.

Sulik2

I'm flying home from Texas to SC through Atlanta Friday. Hoping flights aren't already messed up then.

Wondering this too. Saw some models showing it gowing straight up central NC, and I'm worried for my parents

Closest analogue to that would be Hugo. Storm came straight inland and the eye passed over Charlotte. Look up what happened then for an idea.

Vestal

Gold Member
Closest analogue to that would be Hugo. Storm came straight inland and the eye passed over Charlotte. Look up what happened then for an idea.

Hugo came up from a lower Latitude at this longitude back then, came in through Aguadilla in PR and took a sharp NW turn exiting east of San Juan.. Originally Hugo was forecasted to cross straight through PR..

SUMMARY OF 800 PM AST...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...16.7N 55.0W
ABOUT 450 MI...725 KM E OF THE LEEWARD ISLANDS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...220 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 270 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...943 MB...27.85 INCHES

Holly Springs checking in. Bought a generator after we were without power for three days after Matthew. Gonna get some oil and gas for it mid-week and make sure it fires up.

Also, I'm supposed to fly to Los Angeles (having its own problems) on Monday, via Atlanta.

Ugh, good luck. I don't have a generator but I did just buy a solar charger and I've been charging up my power banks. Will be getting some more supplies tomorrow morning, curious to see if anyone in downtown Raleigh is freaking out yet.

gwarm01

That looks legit terrifying and would decimate the east coast with a one-two punch I'm not certain has ever happened.

We had a similarly scary projection last year. I forget the storm, but it was going to go up the Florida coast, then loop around in the Atlantic and do it again. Luckily that didn't happen.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
About how far out should I start paying attention to the Gulf if my crusise from Galveston to Honduras leaves on October 1st?

Season is quite a bit calmer starting in October, the real issue tends to be storms hitting any ports of call.

Griss

On the one hand, it's getting so damn strong... on the other hand every single update in the last 36 hours has brought it further south, so why would that change? If it doesn't, I actually expect to wake up tomorrow to the news that it'll miss us to the south Thursday evening, with us getting nothing but category 1 winds at most - which is fuck all really.

This is why you don't board up too soon. 48 hours is plenty of time. Had I spent my whole work day boarding up my shit I might have wasted an entire day. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

I'll buy a flashlight and some tinned food tomorrow if it's still coming at us.

This is definitely going to be a Cat 5 soon. The thing with stronger storms is that they usually can't sustain themselves and weaken, hopefully it'll weaken by the time it hits the islands.

RB0943W.gif

mid83

Given the frequency of storms and getting even grazed this year and last here in Hampton Roads, I think I'm going to look into getting flood insurance next season even though I'm in Zone X.

Surviving Harvey with no water in my home was more than enough to convince me to get flood insurance. I know too many people who weren't in the 100 or 500 year flood plains who still got water in their houses. Signed up last week and just have to wait out the 30 day window.

Kelpie

I'm in Hampton Roads also. The water flooding the streets in my neighborhood and coming halfway up my yard during Hurricane Matthew scared me into getting flood insurance. Since you're in a low risk zone it should be relatively cheap. I'm in a Zone X area too and pay $425 for the year. It's worth it to me.

Snaku

Banned
Times like these I'm glad I don't live in the Keys anymore. Lived through Andrew and the shit aftermath. I'm good.

Top Bottom