• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

MollyMillions

Neo Member
I've been waiting for a proper cyberpunk SMT with gorgeous new Kaneko art for SO long, it feels a little surreal that its actually arrived.

The good so far:

+ Character designs are, of course, amazing. Strange and simple and haunting just like all of Kaneko's best stuff. Characters look like Cameron's space marines designed by David Lynch.

+ A return to a more unusual, less mundane setting. Loved where the Persona series has taken the teen adventure RPG template, but am SO glad that we're back in a more dystopian environment.

+ Presumably this means a return of Law/Chaos/Neutral character paths, as these are IMO the most overlooked innovation of the original games. Seriously, Bioware, Bethesda, even Obsidian should look to SMT II to see how to make these "morality" choices less dull and predictable.

+ 300 demons, looks like a refinement of the already brilliant SMT combat system, etc.

The Bad:

Nothing so far. :D

Undecided:

~ I hate to say this, despite the warning...part of me wishes that combat (not necessarily exploration) at least could be in 3rd person. As much as I love and appreciate the speed and simplicity of the 80s first person dungeon crawler model, I'd like to see Kaneko's amazing designs fully animated and present in the game as more than just static art.

~ I hate to go here too, but I am slightly worried that this is the next mainline SMT and that this means that all development of the series for PS3/360/Wii will be focused on the newly popular Persona series. I want to see Kaneko's designs on something more impressive than my PS2. Superficial, I know, but still...

justchris

shintoki said:
I really don't know if I dig it or not. But I guess something new for me can't be bad. So be nice to try one of these for the first time :lol

For a bit of an idea, and if you have some time and don't feel like waiting on SMT:SJ, you can try out Etrian Odyssey 2, which is a similar game with a fantasy vein, although considerably simplified over the SMT formula. Id' suggest trying it anyway, as it's a good game.

duckroll

MollyMillions said:
+ Presumably this means a return of Law/Chaos/Neutral character paths, as these are IMO the most overlooked innovation of the original games. Seriously, Bioware, Bethesda, even Obsidian should look to SMT II to see how to make these "morality" choices less dull and predictable.

Well, it's really just Persona which doesn't have the paths. Raidou 2 did from what I heard, and I think Devil Survivor does too. The difference between SMT "morality" and western CRPG morality is that they're very different games. In SMT, the morality choices are very personal and affect your journey and your quest. It also affects the entire world because your actions will influence that. But it doesn't really have any "immediate" effect in the game. For CRPGs, the choices don't always affect the overall picture, but affect stuff in smaller ways. Very different sort of choice design, and they shouldn't really be compared imo.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
jaundicejuice said:
Now comes the sad part, waiting.

Shut up RK
What, I have to wait 78 days just like everyone else!

zoku88

The only thing i don't like about this is first person dungeons. I was never really a big fan of them. I'm not really sure why. 1st person battle screens don't bother me at all (although, they did as a kid, which is why I never really played the first four Phantasy Stars, a shame.)

Forkball

MollyMillions said:
Alignment.jpg

I read the Siloconera article and it seems interesting. Personally I love the setting and concepts of the SMT games, but the gameplay sometimes stops being old-school and instead becomes outdated and frustrating. I'd be willing to give this game a chance though once I learn more about it and if reviews are good.

mollipen

REEEEEALLY not liking the character designs, which I think is a first for me when it comes to a MegaTen title. (At least, off the top of my head.) Instantly thought of Dead Space, and compared to what has come before, just seems utterly dull.

I mean, I'm still excited, and it was kind of inevitable that a more old-school SMT game would hit the DS, but hmm... those characters.

Teknoman

Shadowlink said:
Never played a SMT game before. I'm going to watch videos and stuff and if I like what I'm seeing, then I might buy it :D

Watch these and you should be good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvUWvebNvlI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlLFSLGAPrI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmMiP93xMp4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPdmQWICtTE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grXHKSIQ3ys&feature=related

EDIT: I really hope Strange Journey has as threatening sounding a boss battle as Nocturne, but it'll probably end up being more like Digital Devil Saga's style (not like thats a bad thing).

duckroll

Teknoman said:
The demons could be animated when fighting against them, either idle or when they use an attack.

Don't count on it. They don't move in Devil Survivor, and some of the sprites look exactly the same.

Teknoman

duckroll said:
Don't count on it. They don't move in Devil Survivor, and some of the sprites look exactly the same.

Hmm well i'm ok with that. I really dont like static monster images, but as long as they have battle effects when attacking you, i'm good.

Teknoman said:
Watch these and you should be good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvUWvebNvlI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlLFSLGAPrI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmMiP93xMp4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPdmQWICtTE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grXHKSIQ3ys&feature=related

EDIT: I really hope Strange Journey has as threatening sounding a boss battle as Nocturne, but it'll probably end up being more like Digital Devil Saga's style (not like thats a bad thing).
Watching the last video right now but from what I've seen from the other 4 videos you linked me, it seems like a fun RPG game. This is the PS2 version right? I might get it.

Dreweyes

This is going to be so good.

Hopefully Atlus bundles some cool stuff like an art book with this!

...And decent marketing!

Teknoman

Shadowlink said:
Watching the last video right now but from what I've seen from the other 4 videos you linked me, it seems like a fun RPG game. This is the PS2 version right? I might get it.

Yeah, all PS2 games. Shin Megami Tensei III:Nocturne, SMT Digital Devil Saga 1, and DDS 2.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I AM JOHN! said:
I'm kind of with you. The more I see about this game, the less interested I'm becoming. It's shocking, really.

One of the Gamestops near me has a gutted and maybe even boxless new EO2 for mad cheap, though, so maybe I should jump into that to see if this is something I can get into.

Now if it was first-person dungeon crawling with social links, THEN we'd be talking!
Wait, did you go from interest to disinterest in a few hours?

Teknoman said:
Yeah, all PS2 games. Shin Megami Tensei III:Nocturne, SMT Digital Devil Saga 1, and DDS 2.
Alright, I'm not understanding what's happening in the last video. Like what kind of moves are they doing? Also I read that SMT 2 never came out in America.

RevenantKioku

Shadowlink said:
Alright, I'm not understanding what's happening in the last video. Like what kind of moves are they doing? Also I read that SMT 2 never came out in America.
Nor did SMT, that is correct.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
duckroll said:
Well, it's really just Persona which doesn't have the paths. Raidou 2 did from what I heard, and I think Devil Survivor does too. The difference between SMT "morality" and western CRPG morality is that they're very different games. In SMT, the morality choices are very personal and affect your journey and your quest. It also affects the entire world because your actions will influence that. But it doesn't really have any "immediate" effect in the game. For CRPGs, the choices don't always affect the overall picture, but affect stuff in smaller ways. Very different sort of choice design, and they shouldn't really be compared imo.

That's good to hear. Both Raidou 2 and Devil Survivor are on my to-do list. I think your point about WRPGs featuring more moment-to-moment character-based changes vs. SMT's sweeping end-game decisions is a good one.

I think what I meant is more that the SMT view of what the three moralities represent is more nuanced and interesting than the standard WRPG selfless do-gooder vs. selfish psychopath dichotomy. Basically in SMT I you can support Law which leads to a divine dictatorship, Chaos which leads to a hedonist wasteland, or Balance which pits you against both as a humanist who kills both God and the Devil. That sounds so much less boring than Save the Princess/Rule the World.

Teknoman

Shadowlink said:

Agi = fire
Bufu = ice
Zio = electricity

Or did you mean something else?

And yeah, most of the Megaten series games never released stateside. I think Persona 1 for PS1 was the first? Or maybe it was one of those GBC games.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I wasn't a big fan of Raidou 1, but Raidou 2 is really good. The combat still isn't anything special, but it's a lot better than Raidou 1.

The best part is definitely the story.

RevenantKioku said:
Nor did SMT, that is correct.
Was there a reason for this?

Kagari said:
You should!
Haha Yea I know. Watching videos and it looks interesting :D

Teknoman said:
Agi = fire
Bufu = ice
Zio = electricity

Or did you mean something else?
Oh thanks! The video was kind of blury I guess but you answered the thing that looked weird.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
shidoshi said:
REEEEEALLY not liking the character designs, which I think is a first for me when it comes to a MegaTen title. (At least, off the top of my head.) Instantly thought of Dead Space, and compared to what has come before, just seems utterly dull.

I mean, I'm still excited, and it was kind of inevitable that a more old-school SMT game would hit the DS, but hmm... those characters.
Really? I think the human art is really good... The MC doesn't look like a wuss for once. The other characters are nicely designed, too.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Shadowlink said:
Was there a reason for this?

They are very primitive games. I say this as a huge fan of the first two, but without some kind of presentational overhaul which would really fundamentally change how the game plays, they both have next to zero commercial appeal in the western market.

Still, with the advent of the DS' popularity, cheap ports of the PSX/GBA remakes could have hit by now...Atlus is probably too busy with all of the the new SMT-brand games to bother at this point, though.

The negotiation system is back? Hell yes! So I take it this is going to be like the "classic" series?

By the way, I must be stupid but where can I see screenshots/art of this?

Edit: never mind.

As long as I don't have to go to a school and convince fellow students to fall in love with their teachers I'll be fine with this.

Course SMT DS will probably turn out to be way too hard for me and I'll quit after several hours.

Ohhh well I'll buy it anyway cause there's nothing else worth throwing money at these days.

Acosta

Great news. I'm a bit tired of playing so much with DS and ignoring my poor, nice TV, but I'll take it and say thanks.

The art... looks a bit weird isn't? Looks Kaneko is experimenting but I don't really know how to call it, more realistic and less stylized?

I love the screens by the way, what are they using? prerendered characters? Doesn't look polygons.

DR2K

Banned
People here not playing Devil Surviver are seriously missing out on the best RPG on the system.

zoku88

duckroll said:
........... I disagree. :p
About it being good or about it being the best?

I have done almost zero research on it and was wondering what you thought about it. :p (I wasn't really that aware of its existence before this thread.)

ferricide

wellllllllllll there goes me NOT buying devil survivor. glad i held out.

but this is suave and sexy and i am so there! when the inevitable US version is released, because, come on.

Coxswain

Error said:
Persona 4's upgraded One More!! battle system is better than Press Turn.
That's crazy talk. One More is to Press Turn what Checkers is to Chess.

I'm glad that it seems like they're doing something different, though. I just hope that "Devil Co-op" has some actual depth to it, and it's not just the equivalent of an All Out Attack. Although as long as it doesn't end up like Devil Survivor's shittacular Extra Turn system I'll be able to live with it.

zoku88

Coxswain said:

I'm glad that it seems like they're doing something different, though. I just hope that "Devil Co-op" has some actual depth to it, and it's not just the equivalent of an All Out Attack. Although as long as it doesn't end up like Devil Survivor's shittacular Extra Turn system I'll be able to live with it.
I always thought Press Turn tipped the battle way too much into the Player's favor. I thought One More slightly helped with that.

RevenantKioku

Coxswain said:

Wow, what? Not only is One More much better than Press Turn (simple evolution) the Extra Turn in Devil Survivor was great because it helped you to gain advantage but not dominate.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
DR2K said:
I'm probably being a bit biased, I haven't fallen in love with an RPG in a long while.

I just opened my copy of Devil Survivor recently. I'm enjoying it so far, and I was utterly surprised to see that I could pick the skills that my fused demon could inherit. This deserves to be in EVERY future SMT game from here on out. No more wasting 20 min trying to get the right skills. I'm a bit curious though. I'm assuming you've beaten Devil Survivor already, so is there any consequences to the choices you choose regarding dialogue? I'm assuming there's some semblance of Law/Neutral/Chaos in this game regarding the options, but I just want some reassurance.

the good:

new (full?) SMT

kaneko & meguro

lots of demons

the bad:

first person dungeons. never been a fan of those, very boring concept

sound quality might go down

the ugly:

glorious DS 3D graphics.

i'll have to wait for impressions before i consider a purchase.

Top Bottom