• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus CEO teases unannounced titles

It is getting rampant that every time a Japanese game will get announced, there are a number of posts that say "PC port plx". Shit is annoying already. As much as it is good that Japanese publishers are coming to Steam, it also brought bad things like many Western fans expect all Japanese games getting a PC port.

Exactly. It sometimes makes me wish that all Japanese 3rd party games were to stick to consoles & gaming handhelds only.

Please don't ban me, it's just opinion

Honestly I'd take a port of Panzer Dragoon Saga to something recent than most actual new games.

There's nothing inherently "more or less good" about older games compared to new ones.

Considering once they release on the EU they will be year old games too that hardly seems different ;)
And, you know, getting old games doesn't mean that new ones won't be made. Not sure where that myth comes from but it makes literally no sense.

You guys need to learn to dream bigger. Whenever a company teases unannounced games I don't expect them to announce ports, I expect new games. If you really wanna play them Nipponese games, get the platforms. It's less expensive than a gpu upgrade, you can probably skip a year from the upgrade cycle.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
You guys need to learn to dream bigger. Whenever a company teases unannounced games I don't expect them to announce ports, I expect new games. If you really wanna play them Nipponese games, get the platforms. It's less expensive than a gpu upgrade, you can probably skip a year from the upgrade cycle.

I got a Saturn and a friend that lent me PDS. The disks going for hundreds of dollars and suffering from disk rot isn't the most appealing to the people at large especially with Saturn emulation not being great. The deserved to be played by more people.
Also my friends copy he was generous enough to lend me:
Dt9LjMLl.jpg

Also PDS is not less expensive than a GPU upgrade for me. :p I have a SFC, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1,PS2, PS3, PS4, Wii U, and 360. (GBA SP, Vita, and 3DS for handhelds.) I even have a Twin Famicom I'm getting later in the month.
I wasn't asking for PC ports even though it's my main platform but it doesn't mean I wouldn't like them there.

Just release what you've announced, guys! We'll be happy enough this year with just that stuff.
CROSS EDGE 2!

Believe it!
Hey now! Other than the fact that you needed a Masters degree in statistics to understand the fucking ridiculous exp/upgrade system with its dozen+ types of different "points", it was surprisingly not terrible! Was a nice holdover of some PS2-era 2D gameplay mechanics and was an obvious jumping point for other budget 7th-gen JPRGs.

Semi-related, another Trinity Universe, please! That hit the spot in terms of "this is so stupid that it's awesome". It's like they threw together different parts of all the IPs they had available (characters, battle system, graphical assets, UI, freaking everything) and -something- popped out at the end that was playable. Though I will admit it could well have been an accident.

Kriken

So yeah, joke about EU (we've been trying to improve, and I think if nothing else, we're at least more consistent than when I first started here) or joke about 2015 (┐(ツ)┌), but know this: I hope to hell I'm wrong about it, and that these games get ported to PC eventually. I will eat that crow with aplomb and eagerness if that time comes.

But right now, as it's been for the past ever, temper your expectations if you're wanting ATLUS-developed games on PC.

I figured it was more of a joke rather than something mean spirited, hence my own joke.
No hard feelings

As for Atlus on PC, I know some people just want to see older games become available again on more modern platforms (Such as the older SMT and Persona games that can only be bought today on PS3). I really have no expectations for Atlus to get to PC anytime soon and am willing to go back to Wii to play Trauma Center or Vita for Persona 3/4 in the meantime

Rarutos

And Grand Knights History on the PSP. It had a fan-translation, but the game deserves to be in a resolution higher than 272p.
Oh right, I somehow forgot about that and I own it...

Just release what you've announced, guys! We'll be happy enough this year with just that stuff.
Hey now! Other than the fact that you needed a Masters degree in statistics to understand the fucking ridiculous exp/upgrade system with its dozen+ types of different "points", it was surprisingly not terrible! Was a nice holdover of some PS2-era 2D gameplay mechanics and was an obvious jumping point for other budget 7th-gen JPRGs.

Semi-related, another Trinity Universe, please! That hit the spot in terms of "this is so stupid that it's awesome". It's like they threw together different parts of all the IPs they had available (characters, battle system, graphical assets, UI, freaking everything) and -something- popped out at the end that was playable. Though I will admit it could well have been an accident.
Atlus weren't associated with those two at all (other than maybe Atlus USA helping NISA distrubute them I think?). They were both Idea Factory.

Battlechili

Banned
I'm hoping for SMT5 and a new Raidou game announced. Raidou deserves more love.

I'd be with the crowd of wanting Atlus games on PC but somehow I doubt that a Japanese CEO talking about unannounced titles would mean PC ports. Especially considering Atlus' almost nonexistent history with the PC. I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love to see some SMT, Etrian Odyssey, and whatever else on PC.

Requeim

As for Atlus on PC, I know some people just want to see older games become available again on more modern platforms (Such as the older SMT and Persona games that can only be bought today on PS3).

PCSX2 is a thing that exists, and it is quite awesome.

Oh shit, forgot something important on my last post.

*Insert my daily bitching about Persona 5's delay here*

Okay, now I'm good. See you guys in the next Atlus related thread.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I figured it was more of a joke rather than something mean spirited, hence my own joke.
No hard feelings

As for Atlus on PC, I know some people just want to see older games become available again on more modern platforms (Such as the older SMT and Persona games that can only be bought today on PS3). I really have no expectations for Atlus to get to PC anytime soon and am willing to go back to Wii to play Trauma Center or Vita for Persona 3/4 in the meantime

It really depends if a company wants to go on board for PC ports. Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Capcom are already on board. Sega only partially because Atlus games have yet to be ported, same with Falcom. Falcom went on PC then stopped after Trails in the Sky TC. Dunno if they're going back but they seem primarily focused on consoles and mobile (since that's where their Japanese players are really are).

I got a Saturn and a friend that lent me PDS. The disks going for hundreds of dollars and suffering from disk rot isn't the most appealing to the people at large especially with Saturn emulation not being great. The deserved to be played by more people.
Also my friends copy he was generous enough to lend me:

Also PDS is not less expensive than a GPU upgrade for me. :p

Well from Sega, the PC fanbase isn't begging for PDS or the other expensive Saturn games, they want cheap games with perfect availability like Vanquish or Virtua fucking Fighter 5. Makes me wonder where they have been for 10 years. Ask for VF6 at least when you're bugging them for a game. Seems like they look up random Nipponese console games and go "hey I want that! Gimme that!". Rather than "I really wanna play a sequel to this game" like they should :p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well from Sega, the PC fanbase isn't begging for PDS or the other expensive Saturn games, they want cheap games with perfect availability like Vanquish or Virtua fucking Fighter 5. Makes me wonder where they have been for 10 years. Ask for VF6 at least when you're bugging them for a game. Seems like they look up random Nipponese console games and go "hey I want that! Gimme that!". Rather than "I really wanna play a sequel to this game" like they should :p

I'm not sure why I'd ask for a sequel to a game I've never played before though the closest I've gotten to that is DoA and Fighters Megamix in which I use the giant bear and Fighting Vipers characters most.

MUnited83

For you.

A weird suggestion since I already own a PS4, a Vita, a PS3, a PSP, and so on and on.

FluxWaveZ

This thread got awesome.

pretty ambitious of them, do you have a link or something where I could read about it?

Heh, ambitious for Vanillaware? You should read up on their history, because that was a company that was constantly on the brink, with Kamitani admitting that he would put them at the verge of bankruptcy with each project they undertook, and the initiative to split teams up was actually to create a more efficient/smarter development process for the company.

You can read about that particular tidbit here:
Right now, there are 24 people at Vanillaware, slowly transitioning so they can have two lines of 12 people on 2 projects. Odin Sphere was 12, Oboro Muramasa was 16.
Essentially, a project of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir's scale would definitely still be adaptable to the "two lines" tactic, and Kamitani himself felt he had to apologize for throwing the Leifthrasir project onto director Kentaro Ohnishi, which means Kamitani was doing his own thing instead (i.e. 13 Sentinels).

Battlechili

Banned
Why would someone want the sequel before playing the earlier games? I mean I get that fighting games don't really change much and aren't for the stories, but otherwise, why wouldn't people be asking for super old titles if they were high quality? And its not as if they wouldn't want the newer titles too. Its just that older titles already have their quality known and are sometimes older titles in a series that someone may want to get into, or perhaps an already favorite series of someone that just wants their favorite game on a new platform.

I'm part of the crowd that's been desperately hoping that Square brings Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 to PC despite owning both on PS3 as well as their PS2 equivalents, for instance.

I'm not sure why I'd ask for a sequel to a game I've never played before though the closest I've gotten to that is DoA and Fighters Megamix in which I use the giant bear and Fighting Vipers characters most.

Why would someone want the sequel before playing the earlier games? I mean I get that fighting games don't really change much and aren't for the stories, but otherwise, why wouldn't people be asking for super old titles if they were high quality? And its not as if they wouldn't want the newer titles too. Its just that older titles already have their quality known and are sometimes older titles in a series that someone may want to get into, or perhaps an already favorite series of someone that just wants their favorite game on a new platform.

I'm part of the crowd that's been desperately hoping that Square brings Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 to PC despite owning both on PS3 as well as their PS2 equivalents, for instance.

Yeah I wonder, if you really wanna play a game that looks cool, why not just buy whatever it's available on?

It's an article from Weekly Famitsu.

Those looking for announcements of PC ports, get it from Atlus USA or SEGA or somewhere else.

And structurally, it doesn't appear that Atlus USA has any veto power over Atlus Japan in terms of porting games anyway, only localisations, which diminishes chances.

Blobbers

atlusprime is sympathizing with us, guys, not having a go. Damn, these wars have warped young people's minds. They're not seeing clearly

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah I wonder, if you really wanna play a game that looks cool, why not just buy whatever it's available on?

So you think buying a SNES and paying 400$ for a rare game makes sense, instead of voicing your demand for it to be in a modern platform with immediate availability for a fair price?

If you can give me $400 I'll buy myself a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga right now. :)

You got to play PDS, most of us are not that lucky...

So you think buying a SNES and paying 400$ for a rare game makes sense, instead of voicing your demand for it to be in a modern platform with immediate availability for a fair price?

What game is worth 400 bucks on Snes that you can't get on Nintendo's online system?

What Atlus doesn't know is that I'm going to write them a blank check for a new IP after I win the $1.6B Powerball tomorrow night.
Oh right, I somehow forgot about that and I own it...

Atlus weren't associated with those two at all (other than maybe Atlus USA helping NISA distrubute them I think?). They were both Idea Factory.
My mistake! It's alllllll the same assets for so many of those games that they sort of lump together in my brain at times.

Off the top of my head, using similar or duplicate assets...
Cross Edge, Trinity Universe, all 3 Agarest games, all 3 PS3 Neptunia games, Mugen Souls, Fairy Fencer F, and I'm sure there are others that I never played. Might as well flip a coin in some cases in regards to whose signatures are on them. Holy crap that's a lot of games.

Battlechili

Banned
Consoles are expensive and would likely not be the optimal way to play a game if it were ported to PC since games don't have hardware limitations on PC. I think when people ask for PC ports they also want that. Some might mention emulation like PCSX2 but maybe someone wants to pay for such ports while also not having the bugginess that is most emulation. Plus some people just like the idea of playing as much as possible on one system of their choice.

I mean it doesn't hurt to be hopeful and ask for such things, as long as someone doesn't mind being disappointed if they don't happen.

MUnited83

For you.
You got to play PDS, most of us are not that lucky...

What game is worth 400 bucks on Snes that you can't get on Nintendo's online system?
I'm sure you can find them yourself, there's no shortage of games that are not readily available on modern systems and cost at least a couple of hundred dollars to get the game alone. That's the point i'm making. And even then, if we go by your arguments: why does Nintendo even release VC titles? Clearly people could just buy the actual consoles and play the games there!
Just ignore him, he's trying so hard to derail this thread.

Lol, yeah, i'm the one derailing :rolleyes:

No they aren't. If you wanna enjoy something, you pay or you can borrow it. Such is the way of the world. KH1.5&2.5 are available right now, you can actually play it. The only thing that's stopping you is the elitist thinking a game is an inferior experience on a platform you don't own.

Again, with your logic, 1.5 and 2.5 should not exist in the first place. Why the hell would you ask for a KH HD collection instead of just buying it for PS2? Are you some kind of elitiest that thinks the game is an inferior experience on PS2 and that PS3 is a better platform.

See, your argument simply doesn't work.

I'm astonished you bring up over and over games that have been republished for modern platforms due to fan demand and don't see the irony in it.

Rarutos

My mistake! It's alllllll the same assets for so many of those games that they sort of lump together in my brain at times.

Off the top of my head, using similar or duplicate assets...
Cross Edge, Trinity Universe, all 3 Agarest games, all 3 PS3 Neptunia games, Mugen Souls, Fairy Fencer F, and I'm sure there are others that I never played. Might as well flip a coin in some cases in regards to whose signatures are on them. Holy crap that's a lot of games.
Haha, all the games you named are actually Idea Factory/Compile Heart! So I guess you don't really have to flip a coin.

Consoles are expensive

No they aren't. If you wanna enjoy something, you pay or you can borrow it. Such is the way of the world. KH1.5&2.5 are available right now, you can actually play it. The only thing that's stopping you is the elitist thinking a game is an inferior experience on a platform you don't own.

Dream big if you port-begging: SMT x Halo Xbone 2 exclusive, Persona 6 Upupupu edition NX, Trauma Center x Half life Steam exclusive, Demon's Souls 2 PS5 exclusive :3

This thread got awesome.

Heh, ambitious for Vanillaware? You should read up on their history, because that was a company that was constantly on the brink, with Kamitani admitting that he would put them at the verge of bankruptcy with each project they undertook, and the initiative to split teams up was actually to create a more efficient/smarter development process for the company.

You can read about that particular tidbit here:

Essentially, a project of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir's scale would definitely still be adaptable to the "two lines" tactic, and Kamitani himself felt he had to apologize for throwing the Leifthrasir project onto director Kentaro Ohnishi, which means Kamitani was doing his own thing instead (i.e. 13 Sentinels).
that's pretty insane haha
to think splitting teams would be more efficient for them as small as a developer as they are already. thanks for the link I look forward to reading it

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

The issue with KH being on Steam is that there's a problem regarding the digital licensing of the KH games (something about Disney preventing it?). If it's not going to be on PSN, then there's no of it going to Steam. As you've noticed, all KH games aren't on PSN, KH 2.8 HD and KH3 will most likely not be on PSN too.

Once I see KH coming to PSN, I could see KH coming to Steam too.

What. This argument does't make sense at all. Somehow availability and price are not deterrents. And the only reason I can't play these games is ome sort of elitism you imagined instead of... me simply not having the money or acquaintances I could borrow these things from?

StereoVsn

We need to get back to the basics. SMT basics that is. Let's have some of that Digital Devil, Raidou, Devil Survivor sequels. SMT V for home consoles would be very cool as well (or say PS4/NX).

A new SMT series would be cool as well. P3 Platinum for PS4/Vita is something that would resolve a lot of arguments to which version is best and can still sell great and can be ported again to whatever NX turns out to be (and we know Atlus loves version variety).

Battlechili

Banned
I told you already that I own the PS2 versions AND PS3 versions of the KH games. I own 1.5 and 2.5. I said this in my previous post. I was saying there that people could simply want their favorite games on their platform of choice. That's why I brought up that. It was my example of speaking of my favorite games that I own and wanting them on another platform.

And yes, they are. Typically consoles at the cheapest cost about $50 when they're old and used, and much higher otherwise. That's a lot of money to throw at something. Not unreasonable of course, but a lot. And I wasn't trying to be elitist. I'm just saying that due to not having any sort of hardware limitations, games can oftentimes be improved on PC than on their original platforms, such as what happened with the port of Valkyria Chronicles and so on, and so people might want that and thus that be a reason for wanting ports as well. Just trying to give reasons why people might want ports. Asking for ports is not a bad thing. Relax.
Why do these threads always turn to nonsense platform wars? Come on guys.
Sorry about that. This was not intentional I promise.

Top Bottom