• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus' dungeon crawler "Baroque": what's the word?

RSLAEV

Thinking about picking this one up. What's the general consensus on this game? I looked at the videos on gametrailers and they were o.k., but I'm always afraid of missing out when it comes to Atlus games.

Arde5643

Death_Born said:
It sucks.
Have you played it or is this based on reviews?

I'm avoiding reviews for Rogue-like games after the review debacles of Eterian Odyssey and Shiren the Wanderer.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Arde5643 said:

I'm avoiding reviews for Rogue-like games after the review debacles of Eterian Odyssey and Shiren the Wanderer.

Nintendo Power gave it a 30/100 and Both versions already came out in Japan, where it was universally panned

Arde5643 said:

Etrian Odyssey is nothing like Shiren the Wanderer. And the reason they got bad reviews wasn't because the core gameplay sucked but because they were incredibly hard and had lackluster graphics. Of course, the graphics don't matter as much if you're on a handheld and if they speed up gameplay.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
95% of GAF haven't played, trust no one.

It's shit.

Kuran

Banned
Insta-buy for me, but I wish it was on PSP instead.

I love dungeon crawlers, and the first one on Saturn had such a great design to it.. I'm just happy they localized this one.

RedBoot

From what I've seen and heard it appears to be your standard 7 out of 10 sort of game. But it's also a dungeon crawler and has a nice art style, so as far as I'm concerned it's worth picking up. A lot of people seem to be hating on it because apparently the Saturn version had better music, and because of this we're supposed to discount the new versions.

Anyway, I wouldn't put much stock in anything you hear until later this week when people buy it and actually play it (and thus can give educated opinions).

ethelred

RedBoot said:
Anyway, I wouldn't put much stock in anything you hear until later this week when people buy it and actually play it (and thus can give educated opinions).

Good advice.

RedBoot said:
From what I've seen and heard it appears to be your standard 7 out of 10 sort of game.

Does that advice above include dismissing your serious grade inflation?

RickA238

It has really cool cover art.

I'm hoping it will be good, but it looks to be on the $5-$10 bargain bin side of Atlus releases. No need to buy this sooner than 6 months from now. Then there will be many reviews and opinions to get a recommendation.

Volcynika

I've been iffy about the game. I'm already picking up Arcana Heart this week and FES when it comes out, and added onto Mario Kart and The World Ends With You, by the time I actually get money to consider Baroque, it'll already be gone from stores.

I really want this game to be good. Not only am I a sucker for a good dungeon crawler, the plot and setting just sound so interesting, but with FES and Kart coming out this month, it'll be hard to justify the purchase.

Proven

So much stuff coming out this month that if I get to try this game it'll be through Gamefly. No impressions for at least two weeks.

(It's worse when the majority of what you want in the month releases in the last two weeks. At least Baroque avoided that).

Saitou

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Read this http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sting/sting2.htm it covers all the Baroque versions even the remake.
This article, along with many posters here I feel, seem to miss one very important aspect of the game.

It's a roguelike. It's not a typical dungeon crawler, that much is certain, but it definitely appears to be a roguelike, albeit a fully 3D action-y roguelike at that.

I've even read that dying to advance the plot or open up more levels is required. All this sounds good on paper but we'll see.
However seeing as how roguelikes are never rated well, I wouldn't be surprised if this got 5s or lower.

RedBoot

ethelred said:
Does that advice above include dismissing your serious grade inflation?

Yeah, probably. :D

Anyway, this thread should have been made three or so days from now, when the game comes out. Plenty of people (such as myself) are already planning on buying the game since it looks like a decent dungeon crawler, so we can give more educated opinions then, instead of condemning a game that (almost) none of us have played.

Saitou said:
This article, along with many posters here I feel, seem to miss one very important aspect of the game.

It's a roguelike. It's not a typical dungeon crawler, that much is certain, but it definitely appears to be a roguelike, albeit a fully 3D action-y roguelike at that.

I've even read that dying to advance the plot or open up more levels is required. All this sounds good on paper but we'll see.
However seeing as how roguelikes are never rated well, I wouldn't be surprised if this got 5s or lower.

Ok, I know this is going to make me sound uninformed, but what exactly are the defining characteristics of a rouguelike? I've played a lot of dungeon crawlers, but I don't think I've ever seen that term before.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Saitou said:

It's certainly no Shiren, if that's what you're implying. The game doesn't move fast enough nor are the scenarios interesting enough. It's not bad, but the drawing point is definitely the atmosphere and cryptic story. The music was also worthwhile too in the original games, but
the remake soundtrack is very, very banal.

Proven

crowphoenix said:
Ok, I know this is going to make me sound uninformed, but what exactly are the defining characteristics of a rouguelike? I've played a lot of dungeon crawlers, but I don't think I've ever seen that term before.

Three recent roguelikes:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games (which actually are seeing their sequels release in NA this month)

Izuna (they said they were making a sequel to this as well sometime last year)

Shiren the Wanderer (the official thread for this is jumping on the front page every so often)

All three were released on DS (with one of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons releasing on GBA as one of their version colors). You can look up the games for their mechanics and watch a couple videos to quickly get the idea of how they play.

Also remember that the above three are inherently turn based. Baroque plans to be a real time action game.

discoalucard

Basic aspects of a (Japanese) rogue-like:

-Randomly generated dungeons and items
-(kinda sorta) Permadeath. Some games let you keep items and stuff if they're stored, but when you die, you have to start from the beginning of the dungeon at level one.
-Unidentified items, requiring that you try out an item before you use it, or try to find some way to identify it

There are a couple of other aspects but those are the big ones. And Baroque definitely falls into that category.

So, would it be safe to assume Azure Dreams was a rougelike? Because that's one of my favorite dungeon crawlers ever made. If Shiren is like that, I have been a fool not picking it up.

discoalucard

Yes, Azure Dreams is a rogue-like.

Shiren blows it away, IMO, so you should almost definitely grab that.

discoalucard said:
Yes, Azure Dreams is a rogue-like.

Shiren blows it away, IMO, so you should almost definitely grab that.

Yeah, I think I shall go do that. You guys just helped me learn a very important term for my gaming tastes. Thanks a ton. :D

LordGek

Maybe it's is just a WANNABE, but Baroque sounds like a dark real-time take on something like Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer, at least this is what I'm banking on as I pick it up tomorrow or the next day (I know you can't USUALLY get a game on it's release date but Gamestop CLAIMS it is already shipping out today).

I think a lot of the dissing is because it is being billed as an ACTION RPG. Yes the game is in real-time but two whole different attacks with no combo system leaves it far out of the league of something like God of War or Devil May Cry.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I'm *this* close to ordering a new copy off eBay.

I know the game won't be easy per se but what is the save system like? Can I save in the 'dungeon' area or only when I'm outside it?

LordGek

Witchfinder General said:
I'm *this* close to ordering a new copy off eBay.

I know the game won't be easy per se but what is the save system like? Can I save in the 'dungeon' area or only when I'm outside it?

You can "Save & Quit" while at any of the game's portals (like stairs to the next level down).

I'm picking this up today, will have impressions tomorrow or the next day.

I am an ass slave for ATLUS as they've never let me down. I've never bought an ATLUS game and not enjoyed it, so.......

we'll see!

Woo-Fu

Banned
discoalucard said:
Basic aspects of a (Japanese) rogue-like:

-Randomly generated dungeons and items
-(kinda sorta) Permadeath. Some games let you keep items and stuff if they're stored, but when you die, you have to start from the beginning of the dungeon at level one.
-Unidentified items, requiring that you try out an item before you use it, or try to find some way to identify it.

Those are common aspects of rogue-like games, period. Not sure what you are trying to say by putting (Japanese) in there.

First game I ever compiled myself was Moria so I could have the wizard password. :)

JoeMartin

straydog1980 said:
I am an ass slave for ATLUS as they've never let me down.

britnay2sw3.jpg

Yaweee

It looks like it plays a lot like a Hardcore version of PSO- not really any depth in the sword play alone, but spells and shit add a little combat variety.

LordGek

Witchfinder General said:
Will I need a guide to play this?

Also, can your character level up?

Sure, he levels up all over the place!

It's just that his experience is only temporary for that run (i.e. until he dies or leaves the tower)

What is often lost when folk hear the "Death = loss of all experience and items", is that this is a very streamlined quick moving game, not that it is all arcadey, but that the tower levels don't take that long to traverse, your character levels very quickly, and that a successful dungeon run might only take an hour or so.

Not only does your character level quickly, there are no skills or attribute points to play around with as you level. I can only assume there is some little graphic or sound effect to indicate they you have leveled but it doesn't break up the gameplay, just something cute in the background. Each level you gain gives you more hit points and allows you to deal more damage. This is also not to say your experience level is irrelevant, if you tried to dive too deep without properly leveling you'll be dog food, but just that it isn't that, "everything stops for a few minutes as I read over the skills I could put points into or think about which of my stats I should build at this point". Not only does the character not have any innate skills (all cool powers come from your items), but that none of the items will have any of the standard, "you need this strength or experience level to use this item". If you find it you can use it. I think they balance all of this by having your experience level figure in heavily in attack and defense (so it isn't just based on the items themselves) and maybe having the more powerful magic items with very limited uses, extra rare, or maybe only found much deeper in the tower (it's a tower but you are going down, like some dungeon...I don't get it myself).

cpro said:
Hmm... the Hardcore Gaming article makes it seem like the soundtrack is crap, but www.kotowari.org seemed to very much like it.

dude thanks for this site. I downloaded the Baroque soundtrack from there and I have to say.....it's pretty good? Why are people bitching about the music?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I was interested in the game until I watched some gameplay videos the other day.

My GOD does the combat look terrible. The main character looked like he was sliding around whenever he targeted a new enemy, and it was all just the same old 3 hit combo over and over and over with maybe a few spells mixed in.

I would think the combat system would not look so clunky in a roguelike. Haven't played it yet, of course, but those vids were just a huge downer for me.

Top Bottom