• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus is working hard on the next Persona

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWILT

Banned
Don't really care which system this is on really. If it's for PS3/360, then great. If it's handheld exclusive for 3DS/Vita, well I get to see all the delicious tears when people rage about it. =D
- The 'Tired' mechanic should probably come back.

Ew, no.
I like the rest of your list though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
it's really sad we'll never get the PSP version :(

What makes it more awful is that the Atlus translation for the time is okay but not as good as the fan translation or official translation Atlus made for IS. :( It's pretty jarring.

synce

How does working on Catherine teach them things about 3DS development? Just because Megaten 4 is on 3DS doesn't mean Persona has to be, they're two entirely separate series despite Atlus USA blending the two names together (think of it like Persona = FF, Megaten = DQ)

So, no shockers here... but it did put a smile on my face after a couple crappy days, to hear it re-re-re-confirmed.

Somewhere, Negotiator-195 is doing a little dance.

Guys, what if P5 goes to iOS?

I'd consider doing this in real life:

persona1evoker.png

I would rather it go to Android since you could also use buttons and have Mara. I wouldn't mind iOS though, since percision wasn't really needed in P4G.

Omikaru

As a European, a Persona game on 3DS -- the region locked handheld -- is like my worst nightmare coming true. Ugh. At least if it gets a Wii U release the chances of a PS3 release is significant, short of major Nintendo moneyhats. I have nothing against Nintendo per-se, but the region lock is a massive obstruction to me. That's about the only platform preference I express in Persona games. If Nintendo went region free I'd be okay with Persona games being exclusive to Wii U.

In the end, the more the merrier, so long as it's on capable systems. So PS3/PS4 (cross-gen)/360/720 (again, cross-gen)/Wii U/Vita/Powerful Smartphones are all fine. Heck, I'd even take a P3P-style downport to 3DS, so long as that wasn't the main game.

At any rate, good to hear they're working on it. Can we see it now and just put all this platform speculation to rest? I want to know if I should go out and import a US 3DS now, or not bother.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Persona's gonna end up on consoles and wherever else it's going to end up.

Stop trying to use it as a piece in your petty console wars.

It's not being used as a piece if it's possibly true. I expect a PS3/Vita or PS4/Vita release in Japan and maybe release to Durango or 360 in the west.

Why does everyone want Vita exclusive so bad? Do you want the game to fail?

Then, why are so many people hating on the idea of a 3DS version and then casually saying PS3/Vita would be fine. As if the Vita, which is indeed significantly weaker than the PS3 wouldn't hold back the PS3 version, much less a PS4/720/Wii U version.

I don't mean to come in here and hate on the Vita or anything, I had a blast with P4G on it, but fuck, man. If people want it on powerful consoles, that is understandable. I'd love to see an all-out HD Persona 5 myself, and it would be a shame to have the Vita holding that back.

Omikaru

It's not being used as a piece if it's possibly true. I expect a PS3/Vita or PS4/Vita release in Japan and maybe release to Durango or 360 in the west.

Yes it is, and it's getting tiresome. It seems you can't go anywhere on GAF and not see Wii U and 3DS port begging, and since SMTIV is coming to 3DS it's starting to seep into Persona threads too. Example, in our community thread we had a 3DS fan just waltz in, moan about why they think it's coming to 3DS and how we're all wrong and that 3DS is totes amazing, and then leave. It totally adds to the quality of the discussion.

Then, why are so many people hating on the idea of a 3DS version and then casually saying PS3/Vita would be fine. As if the Vita, which is indeed significantly weaker than the PS3 wouldn't hold back the PS3 version, much less a PS4/720/Wii U version.

I don't mean to come in here and hate on the Vita or anything, I had a blast with P4G on it, but fuck, man. If people want it on powerful consoles, that is understandable. I'd love to see an all-out HD Persona 5 myself, and it would be a shame to have the Vita holding that back.

The game will not fail if its a Vita Exclusive lol.

P4G is a spin off and is the second best selling Persona game.

However I do think these handheld ports are wishful thinking. Catherine engine was made for one reason and that was for a Persona game on a console.

Persona 5 should be console exclusive.

Wynnebeck

Banned

If you are adopting this stance, there's no point in answering if you can't see the possible ramifications.

Yes it is, and it's getting tiresome. It seems you can't go anywhere on GAF and not see Wii U and 3DS port begging, and since SMTIV is coming to 3DS it's starting to seep into Persona threads too. Example, in our community thread we had a 3DS fan just waltz in, moan about why they think it's coming to 3DS and how we're all wrong and that 3DS is totes amazing, and then leave. It totally adds to the quality of the discussion.

I had no idea.

FluxWaveZ

For me, it's really simple:

PS4 > PS3 > 360/Wii U > Vita > 3DS

So I guess if it HAD to be a portable, my vote would be Vita since it's capable of more than the 3DS.

Omikaru

However I do think these handheld ports are wishful thinking. Catherine engine was made for one reason and that was for a Persona game on a console.

Agree that handheld ports, at least day 1 with the game, are wishful thinking. But Catherine was made on Gamebryo, and it was somewhat of a test for P5 development. I believe the team decided that after Catherine they would develop their own engine for P5 instead of using Gamebryo again. The implication of course was that it was still on current gen consoles.

Lunar15

We won't hear anything definitive until after SMTIV comes out. I really don't think Atlus wants to kill the buzz for that game by announcing the (currently) more popular Persona franchise sequel.

Never played persona. I have a PS3(not bc), wii, 3ds and PC. Can I play any of them(and would it be worth it)? Where should one start?

Never played persona. I have a PS3(not bc), wii, 3ds and PC. Can I play any of the older ones (and would it be worth it)?

You can purchase the PS2 version of Persona 3 FES on PSN. Give it a run, it's pretty cheap and the game will give you an idea of the series, even if the systems have improved subtly since then.

If you are adopting this stance, there's no point in answering if you can't see the possible ramifications.
What possible ramifications? I would like to be informed, but here's how I see it:

Out of the currently available systems (let's limit that to PC, Wii U, PS3, 360, Vita, 3DS), Vita is the second weakest by a decent margin. Just a fact. Then, out of those same systems, Vita has the second smallest userbase by a huge margin.

So, given these facts, what reasons are there to cheer for a Vita exclusive? Obviously not so Persona 5 can be the best it can be, or else we would want it exclusive to the most powerful console, certainly not held back by the second weakest. Not so it can reach the largest audience possible or else we would want it on every console. Failing that, we'd want it to be on consoles with the largest potential audience.

So, again, why want it Vita exclusive with this info. If you only own a Vita, you might honestly wish to see Persona 5 limited by the Vita's power so it can be multiplat on your console. But no reason for exclusivity.

So why exclusive? As far as I can tell, the only reason would be Vita fanaticism. Wanting the Vita to "get the recognition it deserves" and Persona 5 being a perceived great way for that to happen.

Not trying to put on a fanboy show here, I own all these systems save the 360. I am just baffled to see, on one hand, a dismissal of the 3DS because we don't want the game "held back," while at the same time so much open encouragement for a Vita version.

Takao

Banned
"Development was first confirmed in March of 2010."

I'm almost certain that P5 will be a PS3 exclusive, but holy shit dude, this is embarrassing.

How slow in terms of developing games would you think Atlus is to take 3 years to make a 3DS game? Especially considering they have pre-existing engines that could run on that baseline of power.

Meelow

Banned
I'm thinking it will be a PS3/WiiU game with a possible PS4 and Vita version and maybe 3DS but that's a big maybe for the 3DS version.

Soriku

Are you working Atlus? You are working hard!!

Hey man, they do. :)

Also this platform discussion is really pointless. They were making preperations to start working on the game back in early 2010, using a new in-house engine after the Persona team got experience with the Gamebryo engine on PS3 and 360. It's rather obvious it's a current gen game for HD consoles (or at the very least, PS3).

I'm thinking it will be a PS3/WiiU game with a possible PS4 and Vita version and maybe 3DS but that's a big maybe for the 3DS version.

When has Atlus made a game for that many platforms before? We're not talking about EA or Ubisoft here.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

What ramifications are there except that sony failed to capture a large enough market for their system? Unless there's an exclusivity deal I don't see why atlus should limit their audience by developing only for the current gaming device with the least marketshare.

I'm kinda surprised P4A never got a Vita port after P4G did so well. I figured it would've been announced by now.

Is it port begging when there's no announced platform? Wouldn't PS3/360/Vita also be port begging if so?

How slow in terms of developing games would you think Atlus is to take 3 years to make a 3DS game? Especially considering they have pre-existing engines that could run on that baseline of power.
I never said it would happen, but your adamant refusal to admit that it could possibly be released for other platforms makes no sense.

Nags

Banned
And 3 out of 4 came true so far. :)

I think Persona 3DS will happen, but it won't be P5.

Past Persona games will never make it to the 3DS or the Wii U. It's pretty tiring how people always jump on this topic expecting Persona to somehow become a series for Nintendo... they already have like the other half of the SMT franchise.

P5 may have a chance on Wii U, but time will tell.
I'm even going to go as far to say that the 3DS can't even handle P3 with a decent frame rate.

I love Nintendo, I have a 3DS and Wii U, I buy all consoles but seriously people stop doing this to yourselves.
Besides... a PSP is CHEAP you can play P3, P2 and P1 on that. And if you like JRPGs the PSP is a great system for that. PS2 is cheap as well and also filled with JRPGs. If you ONLY own a 3DS or a Wii U... I don't know what to say, maybe stop begging for ports.

Past Persona games will never make it to the 3DS or the Wii U. It's pretty tiring how people always jump on this topic expecting Persona to somehow become a series for Nintendo... they already have like the other half of the SMT franchise.

P5 may have a chance on Wii U, but time will tell.
I'm even going to go as far to say that the 3DS can't even handle P3 with a decent frame rate.

I love Nintendo, I have a 3DS and Wii U, I buy all consoles but seriously people stop doing this to yourselves.
Besides... a PSP is CHEAP you can play P3, P2 and P1 on that. And if you like JRPGs the PSP is a great system for that. PS2 is cheap as well and also filled with JRPGs. If you ONLY own a 3DS or a Wii U... I don't know what to say, maybe stop begging for ports.

Wow....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom