• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus is working hard on the next Persona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limit

Ideal (and impossible) setup for a Persona game:

Setting:

Metropolitan City

Characters:

Aged 30 to 45, living in the same small apartment complex. A Detective, Business man, Architect, Lawyer....etc. Game is played from the POV of each character in the complex, not a single main character, opening the door for new story-telling opportunities. "Social" aspect happens in each character's workplace.

Conflict will be localized, and not "omg must save the world".

Themes:

Loss of Youth
Adultery
Betrayal
Redemption
Forgiveness

I'm with you, except with the age range. Not old enough. It should be age 70 - 85, living in a small apartment complex that operates as a retirement home. The rest can be exactly as you described above. When they go into the demon world everyone changes into their desired age; 5, 12, 16, anything. The entire game is centered around these characters coming to terms with their mortality and why they yearn for particular age groups that they transform into when they go into the alternate reality. This setup has the potential for amazing storytelling, if done right.

Superflat

I'm with you, except with the age range. Not old enough. It should be age 70 - 85, living in a small apartment complex that operates as a retirement home. The rest can be exactly as you described above. When they go into the demon world everyone changes into their desired age; 5, 12, 16, anything. The entire game is centered around these characters coming to terms with their mortality and why they yearn for particular age groups that they transform into when they go into the alternate reality. This setup has the potential for amazing storytelling, if done right.

Wooo! I'm down for this too! Sounds too bold for a big console rpg, but I love that premise.

Spinluck

YESSSSSS.....love Persona.

Hopefully this one is on the ps3 and instead of the school setting its set in university.

I know this is fake but I love these character designs:

persona_5_art_work_2_by_hexactinozio-d3ehdy8.jpg

IHjd10

xPVoCk

I love this darker theme. Persona 5 better be more dark like Persona 3, don't get me wrong P4 was enjoyable but the I felt the P3's story was better.

That girl in the second pic looks like the chick from Egro Proxy, lol.

Which reminds me, I wouldn't mind a sort of sci-fi feel to P5's world, could be cool if done right. Sort of a Psycho Pass and Ergo Proxy vibe, mixed with that Persona edge/charm. Would be cool.

I don't care too much about the ages and what not, but it would be cool if instead of high school it was college, or them working for some really big ass company (workplace setting).

Persona 3 Vita=day one.

I hope Persona 5 is not a friggin 3DS game. Would seriously suck after P4G being my first persona game :lol.

Its not gonna be on the 3DS, no Persona ever came out on a Nintendo platform.

The question is whether its on the PS3 or 4 and whether the Vita is getting a day 1 port or wait until it gets its own P5G.

Its not gonna be on the 3DS, no Persona ever came out on a Nintendo platform.

The question is whether its on the PS3 or 4 and whether the Vita is getting a day 1 port or wait until it gets its own P5G.

Best case scenario would be ps3/ps4 and the updated version going to Vita.

EDIT: lol guys your right. Best case scenario would be P5 on everything :)

Best case would be simultaneous X360/PS3/PS4/PSV release ;)
But i doubt Atlus would pass a chance to milk the title twice.

Why did you conveniently leave out all of the Nintendo consoles here?

The BEST scenario would be a 360 / PS3 / PS4 / PSV / Wii U / 3DS / PC release extravaganza!

Just like Monster Hunter prior to MH3, and no Final Fantasy ever came out on a Sony platform prior to FFVII. Not saying it's going to happen, but that line of reasoning is flawed.

No Shin Megami Tensei game came out on a Sony platform prior to 2002! No Devil Summoner game came out on a Sony platform before 1999!

lupin23rd

The BEST scenario would be a 360 / PS3 / PS4 / PSV / Wii U / 3DS / PC release extravaganza!

Best scenario would be one platform so it actually comes out this decade :)

You missed Durango

Best case would be simultaneous X360/PS3/PS4/PSV release ;)
But i doubt Atlus would pass a chance to milk the title twice.

I think that it'll be PS3/360 or PS3 exclusive. They aren't going to put it on every platform under the sun. They just don't have the resources for that. The Vita will probably be left out simply so that they can release an upgraded version of it a year or so down the line like they've done with previous releases. Nippon Ichi also does that with the Disgaea games.

Just like Monster Hunter prior to MH3, and no Final Fantasy ever came out on a Sony platform prior to FFVII. Not saying it's going to happen, but that line of reasoning is flawed.

Those games are not from Atlus. Even when the Wii/DS/3DS sold much more than Sony platforms they didn't get a single Persona game/port. 3DS is getting SMT4 and I think the next Persona game is reserved for Sony platforms once again.

Takao

Banned
Don't worry guys, Persona 5 might take years but it seems Acquire is making their own Persona.

In both of those cases the companies involved didn't release iterations on the competing platforms first. Capcom didn't release Monster Hunter anything on PS3 before MHTri. Squaresoft didn't release anything Final Fantasy on N64. Atlus has released a Persona game on both PS3, and Vita.

I agree this particular argument in itself doesn't guarantee anything.

The best indication it's coming to a Playstation platform is the Persona (re)releases of these past few years:
2009: Persona and Persona 3 Portable on PSP
2011: Persona 2 IS on PSP
2012: Persona 2 EP on PSP, Persona 4 Golden on Vita and Persona 4 Arena on PS3 (and 360)

It doesn't mean it couldn't come to other systems (360 in the west?) but a Playstation platform is all but guaranteed.

megalowho

As much as it sucks that Persona hasn't made an appearance this gen, I'd be kind of upset if they announce it as a PS3/360 title at this point. We probably won't see it until 2014 at the earliest anyway. Vita or the new boxes, hopefully.. don't really want another late gen swan song to be swept under the rug (but if that's what they're offering, I'll still take it).

As much as it sucks that Persona hasn't made an appearance this gen, I'd be kind of upset if they announce it as a PS3/360 title at this point. We probably won't see it until 2014 at the earliest anyway. Vita or the new boxes, hopefully.. don't really want another late gen swan song to be swept under the rug (but if that's what they're offering, I'll still take it).

Persona 4 is by far the most popular game in the series and it was released in 2008 on the PS2. So it wouldn't get swept under the rug. It's also unrealistic to expect a small company like Atlus to ignore the current-gen install base for next-gen consoles.

megalowho

Persona 4 is by far the most popular game in the series and it was released in 2008 on the PS2. So it wouldn't get swept under the rug. It's also unrealistic to expect a small company like Atlus to ignore the current-gen install base for next-gen consoles.
It won't get ignored here, but I still want it to be as big of a deal as possible. P4 was a slow burn sales wise, if I remember correctly. It's just a weird production timeline for a flagship series, releasing entries on platforms right as they are being put out to pasture. As a second wave next gen title, P5 would be a system seller for me.

DR2K

Banned
If it's 3DS I'll be sad. Better to use DAT Catherine engine.

Regardless this is nothing but vaporware to me at this point.

kewlmyc

Sigh, this barely counts as news, we've already know this. I could see this being released sometime next year though. We might see some stuff about it in Famistu this year though.

Dantis

Was hoping for actual news. Now I'm sad.

If it's 3DS I'll be sad. Better to use DAT Catherine engine.

Regardless this is nothing but vaporware to me at this point.

This is pretty unfair to say to be honest. Catherine only came out two years ago. It's far from vaporware.

YESSSSSS.....love Persona.

Hopefully this one is on the ps3 and instead of the school setting its set in university.

I know this is fake but I love these character designs:

persona_5_art_work_2_by_hexactinozio-d3ehdy8.jpg

I love this darker theme. Persona 5 better be more dark like Persona 3, don't get me wrong P4 was enjoyable but the I felt the P3's story was better.
This top picture IS by the Persona artist though. It's just not Persona.

Needs to be a Vita exclusive. At least for a set period of time anyway, before bringing it to home consoles.

And for the love of god no more silent protagonists.

No, I don't see myself as the main character and this isn't the PS1 era. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Word.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yesterday i finished persona 4 the golden :(
Am i the only one thinking that the next persona will be open world ala gta? A little city(nowhere near the dimensions of gta's cities and clones) with no more separated locations but with "teleport" function still available.

Imo persona 5 will be for ps3 and sometime later will come out the better version for vita.

HA.

No it isn't, and no they don't.

Vita exclusivity would hammer their potential sales.

If a mere port with a few added bells and whistles like Golden can shift 137.000 units in its first week, then a new mainline installment could do wonders, especially now with the price cut in effect.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Unless sony paid them I really don't see why atlus would do it. The fanbase is simply too limited for them to justify it.

Also golden is considered pretty high profile for a vita release, which should say something about the vita.

Certinty

PS4 or/and Vita please.

Really wish they somehow implement cut scenes for the dungeons instead for turn combat haters. Only thing that I dislike about the Persona games. But that's never happening and I guess i'll just play it on very easy.

kewlmyc

I want the Vita to succeed. Persona is a system seller in Japan. Those guys would flock in droves to get a new installment, no matter the system it's on.
Atlus/Index has no reason whatsoever to hinder their potential sales like that. Why would they release their next numbered release on new console that isn't doing well (Vita) rather than a system with an already established fanbase (PS3). It makes no sense business-wise. Atlus/Index have no obligation to make the Vita sell well.

Midou

With all the time it has taken, would be pretty pissed if it was a handheld game. Catherine looked god damn awesome, it would be disappointing if it didn't at least look close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom