• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus is working hard on the next Persona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

It does, but it could have looked so much better :(

I don't want to hear anything out of you! 400+ demons, huge enemy parties and unique death animations (I hope they make similar animations for Persona 5 too)!

But nah I see what you mean but I'm over the no 3D demon thing since it seems they're making good compromises. I think it would bother me more if they had sprites for a console game than a portable game really.

I could definitely imagine a portable exclusive, but that certainly would be disappointing. Would love to see it reach a wider audience.

Sadly I imagine PS3/360 will probably be the two consoles. I just hope there is still enough fire in those consoles when the game finally arrives that P5 gets exposure. I feel like the sole reason there was so much fuss over P4G is because so many people had already moved on from the PS2 when P4 made its original debut. The game and series deserves better than that.

P4 is popular because of the PS2 version which came late in the PS2's life though. I think some good exposure came from the Giant Bomb endurance run too. I hope they do one for P5.

serplux

Atlus isn't stupid like Square-Enix.
I hope...

DQ IX sold the most in the history of the franchise. And that's one big franchise.

That really would be the best move. I don't think there's any doubt that a 360 version would sell more than a Vita version. They would see that if their thinking wasn't so Japanocentric.

Hasn't been a single 360 title that's sold more than 210,000 in Japan. P4G, as mentioned, has done a decent bit more than that.

Not much you can do with SMT or Persona gameplay.

Plus Soejima's art being translated to 1080 > being translated to handheld size

So Persona 4
also Koromaru was a waste of a slot

Someone walking into the room when I'm fusing and seeing a 1080p Mara would be awkward... My S.Link with them would reverse.

Koromaru was awesome! He'd totally have gotten along with Fox. Ken, on the other hand, can die in a fire.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That would be too far out of left field. :p

But I've already got my S Links picked out
XUQwTQ4.jpg

Mozendo

As long as it's dark like the first four persona games I'll be happy!
Well I haven't played Persona 4, but it seems pretty damn cheery compared to the others.

serplux

Not much you can do with SMT or Persona gameplay.

Plus Soejima's art being translated to 1080 > being translated to handheld size

More recruitable demons? A couple of new battle mechanics? There are definitely some improvements that could be made to SMT. (Not saying this couldn't be done on any other platform, but my point still stands).

GavinGT

Banned
Uh, yes there would be. Do you think a 360 version of Persona 5 would sell more than 230,000 copies? That's what P4G did just in Japan.

Metal Gear Rising just bombed on 360 in the US last month, which follows a long running trend of Japanese games performing better on PS3 than the 360 in the west. Would the numbers be low enough to not make a port worthwhile? Probably not.

You're probably right. But it might be closer than you think. I would expect roughly a 60/40 split in western markets (PS3/360), or maybe 65/35. And I think the franchise is picking up steam in the west, so P5 could sell markedly better than its predecessor as a result. I can say that it's basically the only anime-style product that has ever captured my attention, at least. And it could conceivably be more feasible for Atlus to port from PS3 to 360 than from PS3 to Vita, given relative hardware levels. Plus we don't know where the Vita will be by the time a P5 Vita is potentially released. It's possible that everyone was hungry for a Vita game near launch and that contributed to the high sales in Japan. In 1-3 years time Vita could be all but forgotten.

kpjolee

This is part of the reason that I'd want Persona 5 to be a PS4 game, even though it's surely not happening. I don't want Persona 5 to be seen as "old news" because it's released for last generation platforms when the new ones are out.

Nothing is impossible, even though it seems extremely unlikely. P5 on PS4 locked at 1080p would be glorious...

Spinluck

I would be pretty disappointed if it was exclusive to a handheld.

I want the game to be the best it could be, without it having to limit itself to the limitations of handhelds.

My tastes, I hope they go back to exploring darker, more mature themes and tone.

Looking at the sales for 4 though, i'm probably going to be super disappointed.
I'm replaying through 4 and if there's one thing the game absolutely nails, it's this sense of belonging and fellowship. There aren't many more mature themes than this.
Sure, the protagonists, treatment and tone are light hearted but P4 has mature themes.

Takao

Banned
If you want my input on platforms:

PS3 - Maybe add a 360 SKU for the west

PSV - Super Golden Sunshine Edition or something later one

I'd say Vita would get a Persona 4 Arena port in the interim, but I dunno those Persona 3 movies have to exist for something. However, Persona 3 is already playable on Vita ...

Persona 3DS?!

P4 is popular because of the PS2 version which came late in the PS2's life though. I think some good exposure came from the Giant Bomb endurance run too. I hope they do one for P5.

That's precisely what I mean. The only reason I was exposed to P4 was because of Giant Bomb. I had moved on to a PS3 without bc by that point. There was no option for me to play it, so I instead consumed other Altus goods that I could get my hands on. (PSN version of P3:FES for instance.) I'm now a rabid fan, but I'd hate for others to end up in that same trap I was in where I couldn't play the newest addition in the series.

All I want is for the industry to get excited about the next Persona, and if it releases a year into the life of next gen consoles, there's every reason to believe it just won't garner the attention it will likely deserve.

So I hope it makes it to PS4 as well. No need for special improvements, I just want it there.

serplux

I would be pretty disappointed if it was exclusive to a handheld.

I want the game to be the best it could be, without it having to limit itself to the limitations of handhelds.

I'm not familiar with Persona at all, mind you, but what gameplay mechanics could be done on a more advanced platform that can't be done on a handheld platform?

Ideal (and impossible) setup for a Persona game:

Setting:

Metropolitan City

Characters:

Aged 30 to 45, living in the same small apartment complex. A Detective, Business man, Architect, Lawyer....etc. Game is played from the POV of each character in the complex, not a single main character, opening the door for new story-telling opportunities. "Social" aspect happens in each character's workplace.

Conflict will be localized, and not "omg must save the world".

Themes:

Loss of Youth
Adultery
Betrayal
Redemption
Forgiveness

If you want my input on platforms:

PS3 - Maybe add a 360 SKU for the west

PSV - Super Golden Sunshine Edition or something later one

I'd say Vita would get a Persona 4 Arena port in the interim, but I dunno those Persona 3 movies have to exist for something. However, Persona 3 is already playable on Vita ...

Persona 3DS?!

If they make the parts outside of Tartarus 3D again, keep the FeMC, and all of the improvements of P3P then P3 can sure as hell be ported to the 3DS.

Setting:

Metropolitan City

Characters:

Aged 30 to 45, living in the same small apartment complex. A Detective, Business man, Architect, Lawyer....etc. Game is played from the POV of each character in the complex, not a single main character, opening the door for new story-telling opportunities. "Social" aspect happens in each character's workplace.

Themes:

Loss of Youth
Adultery
Betrayal
Redemption
Forgiveness

Might be the most boring thing ever.

Stark

Banned

Setting:

Metropolitan City

Characters:

Themes:

Loss of Youth
Adultery
Betrayal
Redemption
Forgiveness

You're going to kill it. No. Never. Not even 20 years down the road when I'm 30 something.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not familiar with Persona at all, mind you, but what gameplay mechanics could be done on a more advanced platform that can't be done on a handheld platform?

All that needs to be said is Persona 3 to Persona 3 Portable. Hashino wasn't happy with the technical concessions they had to make to P3 for it to work on the PSP.

It's all about the presentation. Voiced dialogue, anime cutscenes, 3D models, music, etc.

Mozendo

Setting:

Metropolitan City

Characters:

Themes:

Loss of Youth
Adultery
Betrayal
Redemption
Forgiveness

Aside from the Loss of Youth theme, this sounds more like a Devil Summoner game.

Akainu

Setting:

Metropolitan City

Characters:

Themes:

Loss of Youth
Adultery
Betrayal
Redemption
Forgiveness
get out.

You're going to kill it. No. Never. Not even 20 years down the road when I'm 30 something.

Disagree, there's loads of potential in such a setup. Mind you, the quirkiness and silliness would still be intact - and the art direction would still have that vibrant kick which came into play with P3 and even more-so in P4.

Anyway, you have nothing to fear -__-

FluxWaveZ

Maybe.
But who would want to play as a Lawyer in a JRPG.

That sounds great. The cast of P2:EP are: a journalist, a fashion store owner, a detective, a phone hacker (who was a
lawyer
) and a fashion model, among others. Their jobs don't play a major role in the story, however.

Takao

Banned
You're probably right. But it might be closer than you think. I would expect roughly a 60/40 split in western markets (PS3/360), or maybe 65/35. And I think the franchise is picking up steam in the west, so P5 could sell markedly better than its predecessor as a result. I can say that it's basically the only anime-style product that has ever captured my attention, at least. And it could conceivably be more feasible for Atlus to port from PS3 to 360 than from PS3 to Vita, given relative hardware levels. Plus we don't know where the Vita will be by the time a P5 Vita is potentially released. It's possible that everyone was hungry for a Vita game near launch and that contributed to the high sales in Japan. In 1-3 years time Vita could be all but forgotten.

Persona 4 Golden launched in June 2012. Vita launched in December 2011. That's not near launch anymore.

Frankly, if there's one region to be optimistic about Vita it is Japan. It won't outsell the 3DS, but it could carve out a nice niche for itself. That niche on Vita right now appears to be the otaku anime crowd, which works well with Persona.

Again, the cost to porting the game onto 360 probably is so insignificant that Index wouldn't mind the additional 100-200k (units) I'd imagine they'd get from a port on that platform. I don't expect a Vita version of P5 initially anyways.

Stark

Banned
Disagree, there's loads of potential in such a setup. Mind you, the quirkiness and silliness would still be intact - and the art direction would still have that vibrant kick which came into play with P3 and even more-so in P4.

Anyway, you have nothing to fear -__-

It would be pretty hard for me to take in and enjoy if I had to play within such an age group. Like I said, it's a age/youth thing with me so I probably do have something to fear. :p Note, this is a problem I had with Catherine, too, as much as I enjoyed it.

Soriku

Setting:

Metropolitan City

Characters:

Themes:

Loss of Youth
Adultery
Betrayal
Redemption
Forgiveness

Sales drop 300% :p

I honestly don't care that much about the characters or setting they use, Atlus can make it work, but the newer Persona games target teens/young adults and is no doubt popular now because of that focus. They're not going to suddenly have you play as middle aged people.

GavinGT

Banned
Frankly, if there's one region to be optimistic about Vita it is Japan. It won't outsell the 3DS, but it could carve out a nice niche for itself. That niche on Vita right now appears to be the otaku anime crowd, which works well with Persona.

Agreed on that point.

That sounds great. The cast of P2:EP are: a journalist, a fashion store owner, a detective, a phone hacker (who was a
lawyer
) and a fashion model, among others. Their jobs don't play a major role in the story, however.
immortal-joe mentioned that the Social aspect happens in each character's workplace.
Imagine S.Links during your job as a lawyer.

Setting:

Metropolitan City

Characters:

Themes:

Loss of Youth
Adultery
Betrayal
Redemption
Forgiveness

Or you could just play The Sims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom