• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus is working hard on the next Persona

Status
Not open for further replies.

serplux

There's probably a bigger chance that P5 will come out on the Vita than the 3DS. Much like a new SMT title coming to 3DS than the Vita. This situation is sort of like KH (spin-offs on Nintendo, main-line and adding in a few spin-offs on Sony).

Seriously, the "Persona" appearing on the Nintendo conference means nothing. See "Shin Megami Tensei" for PS3.

I mean...I think a mainline Persona would do well on the 3DS. I think it could sell somewhere near 400k, which would be amazing for Atlus. But I really think they just have this loyalty to Sony for some reason. And I'm okay with that, since Nintendo gets Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei, and a few quirky little games (Radiant Historia!).

FluxWaveZ

A better story will do it. Less dealing with teen inner bullshit and more detective work.

No thanks. Detective work and investigation was P4's thing and I don't want that to be the main theme in P5. Plus, the search for one's identity is a rather important concept in the series and the adults of Persona 2 have to do similar soul searching, so it's not just limited to teenage drama.

Superflat

^Hashino has said that they intend to change the series up almost as much as P2 to P3 transition was.

THIS MAKES ME FEEL ALL TINGLY.

I played through both P3 and P4 really late to the party and they were both the best rpgs I've played in a really long time. Probably 3-400 hours total pumped into those two games.

And even if they made P5 in the same structure I'll probably still enjoy it, but I'm totally down for a shake up in the Persona formula, whatever it will be.

Not really. We've had confirmation for 2 years now:

Persona 5
iGwsrgDglZWu5.png

• Development was first confirmed in March of 2010 in Dengeki PlayStation where Hashino stated that they were preparing to start work on the next Persona game.
  • In August 2011, Hashino stated, in a Famitsu interview, that "preliminary development" on the next Persona title was nearly complete.
  • In the same interview, Hashino stated that the Persona Team wants to challenge more new things in Persona 5 similar to the changes they made from Persona 2 to Persona 3. He also stated that they had solidified Persona 5's themes.
  • The only members of the development team that we know of, stated in the same interview, are: Hashino (director), Soejima (character designer) and Meguro (composer).
  • Apparently learning from Catherine's development using the Gamebryo engine, Hashino stated that the Persona Team had completed their own engine and that it would ease the implementation of their ideas into the game.
  • In May of 2012 in a Famitsu interview, Meguro stated that "if" there was a Persona 5 and "if" it was radically different from Persona 3 and Persona 4, the music would change as well.
  • In August of 2012, Hashino told Famitsu that the staff was now focused on the "next numbered entry" in the Persona series and that Soejima had submitted sketches. Yay.
  • During the Game no Dengeki Kanshasai 2013 event on March 17, Hashino stated that the Persona Team is "working hard" on the development of the next Persona title.

I'd really want to see a logo or something. ANYTHING.
Damn, seeing that timeline, isn't it guaranteed to be a next gen title or a very late current gen game?
I mean, odds are it will release in 2014. Which probably means 2015 for a localization.
Then again, P4 released late 2008 in the US.

Akainu

Nothing is guaranteed with Atlus. They hold no loyalty to a platform manufacturer.

Example: Shin Megami Tensei went from Nintendo to Sony to Nintendo again. Devil Summoner went from Sega to Sony to Nintendo.
Where's your persona example? That's right you don't have one. :p

noffles

Banned
Damn, seeing that timeline, isn't it guaranteed to be a next gen title or a very late current gen game?
I mean, odds are it will release in 2014. Which probably means 2015 for a localization.
Then again, P4 released late 2008 in the US.

Atlus is pretty okay with releasing games on hardware that's already been succeeded. I'm expecting Ps3/360.

xJavonta

Banned
360/PS3/PC release would be sick

A Vita release would be awesome as well

No 3DS, please

Edit: Completely forgot about the Wii U. So yeah, that should tell you how I would feel about a Wii U exclusive launch.

Can't wait. I feel like they've gotten better with every iteration. (Don't yet know the deal with P4A, but I assume I'll enjoy it as a one-off oddity when I get around to it.)

Hope they've got a next gen version planned. Have a feeling that by the time this comes out I'll have moved on from the current consoles. Well, not my Wii U I suppose, but who knows if it would make it there?

Soriku

About the story, I kind of felt the detective story in P4 was the pinnacle with how they revealed and went about events in the game, and it worked really well. But the stories itself could become more complex than they are.

Atlus is pretty okay with releasing games on hardware that's already been succeeded. I'm expecting Ps3/360.

It also makes much more sense when you consider the Japanese market. PS3 + Vita + 3DS + PSP (to a lesser extent) games sell in Japan right now. Other consoles? Not so much.

I REALLY, REALLY do not expect the PS4 to come out and light the Japanese market on fire at launch. Its titles so far seem distinctly Western-oriented, and I expect that trend to continue with the remainder of the games unveiled.

If I was Atlus, I'd be very hesitant about committing to an untested platform with a potentially-small JRPG fanbase.

No 3DS, please

Why would you wish bad on the 3DS? Seems kind of senseless. The Devil Survivor games are great there. If they could figure out a good way to port it, why wouldn't you want people on that platform to have the opportunity to enjoy it?

Ah, but I notice you left out Wii U as well. Guess you've just got an anti-Nintendo agenda.

serplux

No 3DS, please

Edit: Completely forgot about the Wii U. So yeah, that should tell you how I would feel about a Wii U exclusive launch.

Personally, I'd love to try out the series. I dislike Sony hardware. So I'd love any game, even a remake/port on a Nintendo system. But that's just the nature of the game, right?

FluxWaveZ

Why would you wish bad on the 3DS? Seems kind of senseless. The Devil Survivor games are great there. If they could figure out a good way to port it, why wouldn't you want people on that platform to have the opportunity to enjoy it?

Ah, but I notice you left out Wii U as well. Guess you've just got an anti-Nintendo agenda.

I absolutely do not want Persona 5 on the 3DS if it means lessening the scope of the game for other platforms, which would most certainly be the case.

Nags

Banned
This will be for current gen.
And I feel like we're getting close... there will be a full reveal within the next 6 months. Early 2014 release.

raven777

I remember Atlus were saying they were making the next Persona few times before.

They said they were making a new engine to create the next Persona, so I am almost certain it is PS3/360

I remember Atlus were saying they were making the next Persona few times before.

They said they were making a new engine to create the next Persona, so I am almost certain it is PS3/360

I don't understand how those two pieces of evidence add up. Are you saying that Atlus couldn't possibly be creating an engine for the 3DS? Is it not "worthy" of a new engine? :p

bonercop

I don't understand how those two pieces of evidence add up. Are you saying that Atlus couldn't be creating an engine for the 3DS? Is it not "worthy" of a new engine? :p

well, it does seem like they could just reuse the P4 engine if they were going that route.

raven777

I don't understand how those two pieces of evidence add up. Are you saying that Atlus couldn't be creating an engine for the 3DS? Is it not "worthy" of a new engine? :p

the interview they gave out was comparing it to Catherine's engine, and how they wanted to make it better so that was why they were creating a new engine from scratch.

Personally, I'd love to try out the series. I dislike Sony hardware. So I'd love any game, even a remake/port on a Nintendo system. But that's just the nature of the game, right?
The thing is, if you live in Europe and like JP games, you'd better like Sony hardware because they're the only region free guys around. Despite the P4A debacle, they're often our best shot at getting these games, if at all.
If PS4 is region locked, things are going to really suck.

Fusebox

Banned
You know how some people detest playing games on Nintendo systems? I dislike playing games on Sony systems.

I've heard of people that don't like stereotypical first-party Nintendo games because of the younger themes and color palettes, but never because of the actual console.

You crazy man.

I absolutely do not want Persona 5 on the 3DS if it means lessening the scope of the game for other platforms, which would most certainly be the case.

Why would they possibly do that? Is there any precedent in the series for making a lesser game for a portable console and the porting it up to more capable machines? Aren't all the portable versions altered versions of console games? Some even subsequently reduced in scope to match the power of the handheld. Since when are 3DS games holding back consoles?

totowhoa

Banned
I'm VERY new to the Persona world. Persona 4 Golden was my first JRPG, but I fell in love. Because of it I bought Persona 4 Arena simply for the story modes (I hate fighting games!) and I wanted to play Persona 3, but time did not permit it, so I just watched it on Youtube. It was so damned good I might still pick it up just to play it!

Absolutely love this franchise! Persona 5, whenever it comes out will comsume my life until it's done. I've got a couple of weeks off near the end of this year... one in October, one in November. I REALLY hope we can see Persona 5 around this time. PS3/4 + Vita versions please!

You should play P3P for sure.

Also, it's a little weird that you had time to watch an 80 hour game... but not play it? Unless you work at a computer where you can watch YouTube for a couple of hours per day... in which case, your job sounds boring but I'm slightly jealous :p

You know how some people detest playing games on Nintendo systems? I dislike playing games on Sony systems.

Uhh... lol. What the fuck are you talking about? Is the DS controller too much for you or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom