• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus is working hard on the next Persona

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

I enjoy Sony games, I liked a good deal of PSP games. It has one of the best libraries in the history of gaming. Never even owned a DS. But I never liked the hardware.

That's an odd opinion, but fair.

Why would they possibly do that? Is there any precedent in the series for making a lesser game for a portable console and the porting it up to more capable machines? Aren't all the portable versions altered versions of console games? Some even subsequently reduced in scope to match the power of the handheld. Since when are 3DS games holding back consoles?

Wait, what? I'm not sure what you're saying... are you implying that a PS3 and 3DS version of Persona 5 could be identical?

Or you're essentially saying that the game could be primarily developed for the PS3 and then downported to the 3DS? With the exception of P3P, every Persona re-release has been ported on platforms that could successfully manage what the original platforms could with those games. P3P was almost an entirely different game in terms of presentation, so they added the female protagonist as a way to add value to it. I doubt they would practically make two different versions of Persona 5 like that.

LuuKyK

Yes, thank you based ATLUS! My money is ready.

Also, lol @ people thinking Persona 5 wont be, at least, a PS3 game. 360 and Wii U are very viable options (and I think it will be there eventually seeing how they handled Catherine), but PS3 is certain imo, as the fanbase of Persona has always been there. But yeah, the mainline entries will never debut on a portable console.

Also, lol @ people thinking Persona 5 wont be, at least, a PS3 game. 360 and Wii U are very viable options (and I think it will be there eventually seeing how they handled Catherine), but PS3 is certain imo, as the fanbase of Persona has always been there. But yeah, the mainline entries will never debut on a portable console.

I'd reckon that tons of Japanese Persona fans already own a 3DS. It's not like fanbases only buy consoles from one hardware manufacturer.

Never say never, man. The mainline SMT series is debuting on a portable for the first time ever (SMT 4 for 3DS).

Right thats why SMT4 is debuting on a console.

Oh wait.

Wait, what? I'm not sure what you're saying... are you implying that a PS3 and 3DS version of Persona 5 could be identical?

No, I'm saying the exact opposite. You say 3DS could hold back the other versions, but there is no way the 3DS version would be the same version you play on a console. Hence, suggesting that a 3DS version of Persona 5 would be somehow be able to limit the PS3/360 versions is not a valid concern. They aren't going to create a lesser Persona for the sake of the 3DS and port it up, so I see no sense in this, "No 3DS version" stance.

serplux

That's an odd opinion, but fair.

Just ain't my optimal system to be playing games on. Never liked the interface, never liked the controller. I prefer the Nintendo charm.

I don't want a diminished version of Persona 5 just so you can introduce the game to another platform. I just want to play the game in a way that suits all interested parties.

vivftp

You should play P3P for sure.

Also, it's a little weird that you had time to watch an 80 hour game... but not play it? Unless you work at a computer where you can watch YouTube for a couple of hours per day... in which case, your job sounds boring but I'm slightly jealous :p

I admit, I did skip some bits. Somehow, someway I guessed while skipping through the roughly 110 Youtube videos and I think I managed to get most of the important story elements. Still, I know that depth is what makes a Persona game truly remarkable, and that's why I think a thorough playthrough would be beneficial to me. I'll likely look into getting it on my Vita at some point.

It is funny though, I paid for Persona 4 Arena for the story mode when I could have watched that on Youtube and gotten the exact same experience, but I watch Persona 3 Portable on Youtube when I could have gotten a far better experience playing the game :D

AniHawk

i have a hard time believing persona 5 wont be a ps3/vita game after persona 4 launched in 2008 on the ps2, and how atlus has remade the four persona games for the psp and vita. i don't see it being a vita exclusive though.

FluxWaveZ

No, I'm saying the exact opposite. You say 3DS could hold back the other versions, but there is no way the 3DS version would be the same version you play on a console. Hence, suggesting that a 3DS version of Persona 5 would be somehow be able to limit the PS3/360 versions is not a valid concern. They aren't going to create a lesser Persona for the sake of the 3DS and port it up, so I see no sense in this, "No 3DS version" stance.

Yeah, I understood that just now so I edited my original reply. Developing a different, lesser version of P5 for the 3DS would take away resources and/or time from the console version of the game which should be the main focus.

Thoraxes

My tastes, I hope they go back to exploring darker, more mature themes and tone.

Looking at the sales for 4 though, i'm probably going to be super disappointed.

vivftp

Guys, what if P5 goes to iOS?

I'd consider doing this in real life:

persona1evoker.png

I... I would weep :(

OTOH, what if Persona 5 were a Vita exclusive? I'd have to imagine that would be a major system seller, but then again my impressions may be clouded because I love the series so much. Still, could Persona 5 be THE game on Vita if it were to be exclusive?

Nags

Banned
Until recently with P4A being on 360, Persona has been exclusively a Sony game.

And yes that counts. If you have followed the "world" of Persona since the first title, they are indeed connected by people, places and events. Some parts of the story in P4A are conducive to some things we can expect in P5. Plus there are references to past events from P2 as well as possibly the return of a certain antagonist... Also give me Elizabeth as MC please, this would be the best thing ever. You know what I mean, if you played her story in P4A!

I am not opposed to seeing this on Wii U though. I want this game to reach as many people as possible, but I urge anyone who hasn't to at least play Persona 3 or 4 going into it (I say you play them all!). You will have a richer experience.

Soriku

But would a "HD console" version sell significantly more than a 3DS version with fewer assets + a lower budget?

Possibly. The 3DS is popular but that doesn't mean the fanbase wants the game on a portable. See how the Tales games on the PS3 sold more than any portable Tales game on the PSP or DS? Catherine was also very successful for Atlus.

It's not always about going the cheapest route, and that may not be the optimal choice either.

I said Persona though.

I know they are derivative and whatnot, but at this point they have different fanbases, even if they share some fans.
I know what you said. Im just pointing out that Atlus has no issue debuting their premiere titles on a handheld.

serplux

Until recently with P4A being on 360, Persona has been exclusively a Sony game.

And yes that counts. If you have followed the "world" of Persona since the first title, they are indeed connected by people, places and events. Some parts of the story in P4A are conducive to some things we can expect in P5. Plus there are references to past events from P2 as well as possibly the return of a certain antagonist... Also give me Elizabeth as MC please, this would be the best thing ever. You know what I mean, if you played her story in P4A!

I am not opposed to seeing this on Wii U though. I want this game to reach as many people as possible, but I urge anyone who hasn't to at least play Persona 3 or 4 going into it (I say you play them all!). You will have a richer experience.

I sadly doubt we're ever going to see many PS3 (or PS4 for that matter) multiplatform games with the Wii U. It always seems like it has to go one way (Wii U exclusive) or the another (Sony exclusive), and I don't like that for either side.

Nothing is impossible after seeing Dragon Quest going from PS2 to DS...

Eh, Dragon Quest just goes onto whatever system is the most popular in Japan at the moment.

Thoraxes

Possibly. The 3DS is popular but that doesn't mean the fanbase wants the game on a portable. See how the Tales games on the PS3 sold more than any portable Tales game on the PSP or DS? Catherine was also very successful for Atlus.

It's not always about going the cheapest route, and that may not be the optimal choice either.

That why i'm interested in how SMTIV will sell.

LuuKyK

Yeah, this. Persona is ATLUS best seller. They want it to make the best impression and reach most of their fanbase. And by that it must reach some requirements like good visual impressions (that DS,3DS, PSP and even Vita would fail to produce when compared to the consoles). Not counting the tradition of them main titles debuting on consoles. Thats pretty much how I see it, thus why I said never. It could only happen if ATLUS turned into a low tier developer (and I pray to God that never happens) and had to develop the games with a lower budget.

Yeah, this. Persona is ATLUS best seller. They want it to make the best impression and reach most of their fanbase. And by that it must reach some requirements like good visual impressions (that DS,3DS, PSP and even Vita would fail to produce when compared to the consoles). Not counting the tradition of them main titles debuting on consoles. Thats pretty much how I see it, thus why I said never. It could only happen if ATLUS turned into a low tier developer (and I pray to God that never happens) and had to develop the games with a lower budget.

I don't think the kind of people who buy Atlus-developed games are particularly concerned about graphical prowess. :p

FluxWaveZ

It could only happen if ATLUS turned into a low tier developer (and I pray to God that never happens) and had to develop the games with a lower budget.

Exactly. If Persona 5 isn't a console game, Atlus is abandoning console development, straight up. And I don't think that's happening.

I don't think the kind people who buy Atlus-developed games are particularly concerned about graphical prowess. :p

So the fact that Catherine was an absolutely beautiful game didn't matter?

Yeah, I understood that just now so I edited my original reply. Developing a different, lesser version of P5 for the 3DS would take away resources and/or time from the console version of the game which should be the main focus.

Ah, that I understand. Well, I can see the concern. But I'd think it would generally have to be a different development team given how different the experience would be even in control input. I'm thinking Atlus would only choose to do a version on the 3DS if they knew they could recoup the costs, and since a lot of the work from a console variant wouldn't be able to carry over, it'd probably be an entirely separate project and team with its own budget too.

Purely conjecture there though. I've no idea what Atlus' internal workings are like. Maybe multiple platforms are part of the reason this one has been in development for so long?

GavinGT

Banned
i have a hard time believing persona 5 wont be a ps3/vita game after persona 4 launched in 2008 on the ps2, and how atlus has remade the four persona games for the psp and vita. i don't see it being a vita exclusive though.

I don't doubt that it could potentially be ported to Vita after the fact. But at the speed they move with this franchise, surely they'll want all hands on deck to get the console version out the door before they concern themselves with a Vita version. And who knows how long they'll take with the console version? Another year or two? I'm not exactly optimistic about the Vita's position a year or two from now.

LuuKyK

I don't think the kind people who buy Atlus games are particularly concerned about graphical prowess. :p

Well the die hard fans sure arent. But the media (reviews, etc) and the first time buyers care. And Im sure ATLUS would not mind expanding their fanbase by reaching new consumers. :p

Soriku

That why i'm interested in how SMTIV will sell.

I think SMT IV on 3DS is a much better choice than if they were to put Persona 5 on it. Also I recall reading not too long ago that Atlus puts certain titles on systems because their fanbase wants it there. They also said they create 360 versions of games for Western markets so it'll be interesting to see if the same follows for Persona 5 or they feel that they'd be fine with just PS3 (their games sell more on the PS3 than 360 in the West anyway).

Possibly my most anticipated game, alongside Dark Souls 2 and Ground Zeroes. I guessing it'll be on PS3/4 or maybe Vita. I really hope it's on a console. Just think of how many S.Links and Fusions a BluRay disc can hold...

serplux

I don't think the kind of people who buy Atlus-developed games are particularly concerned about graphical prowess. :p

Console Atlus fans care a lot. Handheld Atlus fans probably less so, but we still want our games to look good!

I think SMT IV on 3DS is a much better choice than if they were to put Persona 5 on it. Also I recall reading not too long ago that Atlus puts certain titles on systems because their fanbase wants it there. They also said they create 360 versions of games for Western markets so it'll be interesting to see if the same follows for Persona 5 or they feel that they'd be fine with just PS3 (their games sell more on the PS3 than 360 in the West anyway).

Isn't that what every publisher does? Although I don't particularly understand why SMT would be more suited to a Nintendo platform than a Sony one.

Nags

Banned
Purely conjecture there though. I've no idea what Atlus' internal workings are like. Maybe multiple platforms are part of the reason this one has been in development for so long?

I would hazard a guess that it's just workings with the new engine. Plus you can guarantee this game will be massive. 100+ hours LOTS of dialogue. I would expect the next title (if there is a P6) would probably follow about 2 years after since they will already have the engine in place. Similar to the gap between P3 and P4.

Soriku

Ah, that I understand. Well, I can see the concern. But I'd think it would generally have to be a different development team given how different the experience would be even in control input. I'm thinking Atlus would only choose to do a version on the 3DS if they knew they could recoup the costs, and since a lot of the work from a console variant wouldn't be able to carry over, it'd probably be an entirely separate project and team with its own budget too.

Atlus (and many other Japanese developers, really) doesn't create multiple versions of their games for launch at or around the same time like Western publishers do. If it was a portable game it'd no doubt be exclusive. Since it's (obviously) a console game, we're most likely looking at two consoles max.

Mzo

I'm really hoping it's on the HD twins. I don't want to see a drop in production values from P4.

I remember being WAY impressed by Nocturne back in the day compared to the average Atlus game. I doubt a 3DS game could ever wow me in any way at all ever, but I also want to support the series and I know that the game will be fun to play... but still.

Thoraxes

Yeah, given the sales comparisons. Seeing them port P4 to the Vita was just as interesting, if not unexpected given P3P.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm really hoping it's on the HD twins. I don't want to see a drop in production values from P4.

That really would be the best move. I don't think there's any doubt that a 360 version would sell more than a Vita version. They would see that if their thinking wasn't so Japanocentric.

If it was a portable game it'd no doubt be exclusive. Since it's a console game, we're most likely looking at two consoles max.

I could definitely imagine a portable exclusive, but that certainly would be disappointing. Would love to see it reach a wider audience.

Sadly I imagine PS3/360 will probably be the two consoles. I just hope there is still enough fire in those consoles when the game finally arrives that P5 gets exposure. I feel like the sole reason there was so much fuss over P4G is because so many people had already moved on from the PS2 when P4 made its original debut. The game and series deserves better than that.

Thanks to JRPG GAF I picked of P4G and its by far the best RPG I have played this whole gen which is ironic in a big way. I can't wait for the next installment.

FluxWaveZ

Sadly I imagine PS3/360 will probably be the two consoles. I just hope there is still enough fire in those consoles when the game finally arrives that P5 gets exposure. I feel like the sole reason there was so much fuss over P4G is because so many people had already moved on from the PS2 when P4 made its original debut. The game and series deserves better than that.

This is part of the reason that I'd want Persona 5 to be a PS4 game, even though it's surely not happening. I don't want Persona 5 to be seen as "old news" because it's released for last generation platforms when the new ones are out.

Takao

Banned
That really would be the best move. I don't think there's any doubt that a 360 version would sell more than a Vita version. They would see that if their thinking wasn't so Japanocentric.

Uh, yes there would be. Do you think a 360 version of Persona 5 would sell more than 230,000 copies? That's what P4G did just in Japan.

Metal Gear Rising just bombed on 360 in the US last month, which follows a long running trend of Japanese games performing better on PS3 than the 360 in the west. Would the numbers be low enough to not make a port worthwhile? Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom