• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus takes over EU publishing duties for Persona 4 Arena

You may remember that the game and its add-ons got pulled from EU PSN last week. Well, we now know why: Zen United has been given the boot and Atlus US is doing it themselves.
I spoke with Geraint Evans of PQube, formerly of publisher Zen United, and he explained that Atlus are now handling Persona 4 Arena in European territories themselves. Evans explained that Atlus “currently hold the digital distribution rights for Persona 4 Arena in Europe”.

I presume it's a similar situation to the Skullgirls transition, in that forms have to be filled out and a new version of P4A has to be uploaded. Plus, it's a pretty clear indicator as to who is going to publish P4AU. So, good news: Atlus US has finally noticed that Europe is a thing that exists.

RalchAC

Is that hard to use fucking SEGA Europe infraestructure in order to let us filthy Europeans get Atlus games in the same month as the US does?

Really. Both are part now of the same company. It should be easy to sign a deal and release it here.

Worst part is that an important part of their out-put is on a region locked system.

JB2448

I guess SEGA's purchasing of Index and enabling of ATLUS Co., Ltd. to be its own thing allows Atlus U.S.A., Inc. to publish and distribute in Europe? Maybe this means that Europe won't get as short an end of the stick anymore?

Hang in there, EuroGAF. :(

Eusis

I presume it's a similar situation to the Skullgirls transition, in that forms have to be filled out and a new version of P4A has to be uploaded. Plus, it's a pretty clear indicator as to who is going to publish P4AU. So, good news: Atlus US has finally noticed that Europe is a thing that exists.
Actually, I suspect it's less Atlus US finally noticed and Sega went "yo you seem to have problems there maybe we can help you" and they quite sensibly went "yes please".

Seriously, I can't imagine it's cheap or easy to get into a whole new territory, NISA is a surprise there (should they really be NISI? whatever) but XSEED was historically tied down to the US and I don't think Agetec had a presence there (or has any at all anymore but that's beside the point.) But Marvelous seems to be a door into Europe for XSEED, and similarly I expect Sega is the same for Atlus.

Although, XSEED was doing digital in Europe for quite awhile, so it remains to be seen if Sega will take up physical publishing for Atlus.

I can't see this as good news until we either have an EU release date that's reasonably close to the NA one or confirmation that the NA version isn't region locked.

Liha

Banned
Is that hard to use fucking SEGA Europe infraestructure in order to let us filthy Europeans get Atlus games in the same month as the US does?

Really. Both are part now of the same company. It should be easy to sign a deal and release it here.

Worst part is that an important part of their out-put is on a region locked system.

It's a shame for the year 2014. I think amateurs / students lead Atlus.

Seriously, I can't imagine it's cheap or easy to get into a whole new territory, NISA is a surprise there (should they really be NISI? whatever) but XSEED was historically tied down to the US and I don't think Agetec had a presence there (or has any at all anymore but that's beside the point.) But Marvelous seems to be a door into Europe for XSEED, and similarly I expect Sega is the same for Atlus.

Although, XSEED was doing digital in Europe for quite awhile, so it remains to be seen if Sega will take up physical publishing for Atlus.

Marvelous Europe is actually Zen United. Plus, I'd imagine they won't touch the non-Marvellous stuff Xseed publishes.

And yet Zen had physicall releases for almost everything and usually with some gadgets thrown in to them.

I have genuinely no idea how they're still in business. Doubly so considering ArcSys seems to have forsaken them and their other biggest client as now told them to get stuffed.

Then again, they also seems to have gotten a long-term deal with Marvellous, so who knows? On the third hand, they've been suspiciously quiet on Shinovi Versus, considering with Burst they were pretty quick on the draw after Xseed's localisation announcement.

Can someone explain what the actual deal was with the problems in bringing out Persona 4 Arena in Europe.

At the time I wanted to get the game and just couldn't fathom at all what the problem was??

Son Of D

As someone who doesn't know that much about the whole Atlus/Zen/EU thing, is this better or worse?

Atlus really needs to start publishing all of their shit in Europe. Still angrily waiting on SMTIV...

That one's on Nintendo isn't it? I heard they had publishing duties for SMTIV in EU.

Danielsan

As someone who doesn't know that much about the whole Atlus/Zen/EU thing, is this better or worse?

That one's on Nintendo isn't it? I heard they had publishing duties for SMTIV in EU.
Yes they have, though Nintendo isn't exactly doing a great job...

Kieli

What exactly is Zen doing everyday?

If you're working 9 - 5, you're bound to get at least something done, right?...

Yeah but if Atlus can 'self-publish' in Euro now, perhaps that means you guys won't have to wait eons for Persona 5 (and maybe SMTIV will finally make it there after all :p_

Gbraga

Now it's over
survival of the fittest time for me to take over
I was lenient, but game's over
Mass Destruction is now our slogan.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
As long as it's not Arc System Works (Europe?) and Atlus is delivering on time, I won't complain. Blazblue Chronophantasma published by ASW is still unavailable in half of Europe for some reason, which makes me nervous if they will continue to self-publish in the future.

RalchAC

To be fair, everyone should be expecting that for pretty much every vaguely niche Japanese game that's not published by Namco anyway. :v

Tecmo Koei and NISA releases retail games in Europe. There is NB too.

Which European infrastructure? They closed a lot of their offices.
http://metro.co.uk/2012/06/28/sega-closes-all-european-offices-except-uk-483982/

I don't know about Italy, German or France, but in Spain Namco Bandai has been distributing latest NISA games (Demon's Gaze, Etrian Odyssey and Persona 4 Golden were both handled by them). I don't think it'd be that hard for SEGA to reach a similar deal.

I don't think NISA has much presence aside UK either. But I haven't find any clear info about that.

It's a shame for the year 2014. I think amateurs / students lead Atlus.

It's not such a big deal when the system you're playing is region free (you have to import, but at least you're able to play). But sometimes things are really bad :(

Peff

Can someone explain what the actual deal was with the problems in bringing out Persona 4 Arena in Europe.

At the time I wanted to get the game and just couldn't fathom at all what the problem was??

0WNzQDw.png

Arcsys: Hm? Where's the European build, you say? Oh, yeah, yeah, it's totally coming right up!

This probably won't end up being good news, but at least the Sony systems are region-free and the Arena region-lock snafu is unlikely to be repeated, but it's really annoying for the 3DS. Hopefully NISA can pick up Persona Q.

Top Bottom