• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA announces Persona 4 Arena, Summer 2012

So... like... with all the arguing about the dubs, did anyone consider whether or not we would be able to play with the owners of the Japanese version if we get different voice data? Would the data be included on the disc so we can play with owners of the Japanese version? Would it just use the english VAs in place of the Japanese audio clips? Would we just not be able to play with those who own the Japanese version? I mean... this is something to consider, too, no?

The bolded is what Street Fighter IV does when you view replays recorded while the language set was Japanese but your console is set to English.

Latency issues are unlikely to make cross-region play viable.

As far as I understand it (you'd have to find the post from Belisarius, who works at Aksys), JP VA is a LOT different as far as how many people want a piece of the pie. It apparently can be noticeably more expensive, especially for the higher tier voice actors.

Who was it in one of these type threads was talking about how the handlers of the VAs over there work like cartels? Something to that effect: very high fees, murder to liscence outside the country.

Uraizen

Banned
The bolded is what Street Fighter IV does when you view replays recorded while the language set was Japanese but your console is set to English.

Latency issues are unlikely to make cross-region play viable.

Yes, but that would require the data to be on the disc in the first place. Playing with people from Japan is definitely not a viable option, but what about those who import the Japanese version and want to play with their friends who bought the domestic version instead?

It's just something to consider with all this talk about it. I don't see why you would ever do it for a fighter, but you never know with some companies.

As far as I understand it (you'd have to find the post from Belisarius, who works at Aksys), JP VA is a LOT different as far as how many people want a piece of the pie. It apparently can be noticeably more expensive, especially for the higher tier voice actors.

It's curious that it's so much harder to bring over the Japanese voicework because it's a game. It hardly seems an issue for localizations of Japanese film/anime/television and it's hard to imagine the enthusiast market is that different between the media types.

I didn't mean to suggest that it would be overall cheaper for the localization project if they exclusively went with the Japanese VO, with a fully-fledged Story Mode and everything else thrown in that I'm expecting for $60 USD, the sheer amount of spoken narration has to be fully localized.

Who was it in one of these type threads was talking about how the handlers of the VAs over there work like cartels? Something to that effect: very high fees, murder to liscence outside the country.

It is impossible to find sustainable talent work in Japan without belonging (carefully chosen word) to a huge agency that represents you, hires your manager and negotiates all your contracts. Their cut of your paycheck is probably not small over there.

Yes, but that would require the data to be on the disc in the first place.

"The data" you speak of is likely just an ID that tags the audio clip to play when the game engine emits sound events. The ID itself is not going to change, just the audio clip. This is how any localized software is designed.

Uraizen

Banned
"The data" you speak of is likely just an ID that tags the audio clip to play when the game engine emits sound events. The ID itself is not going to change, just the audio clip. This is how any localized software is designed.

Yes, but I covered this in my original post. I just wonder how they're going to handle it in general. I'm actually not familiar with how Atlus does things, I just play fighters and wouldn't want something like VA differences to cause any problems.

Solune

I think Atlus thinks their US dubs are fine. I've given up on bitching about this after Catherine, because it's clear that they have no intention of ever including JP voices in their games.
It's funny ever since plugging in P3 and expecting dual audio but no option.. oh shit.! In this case budget priced versions of fighters have dual audio. There's no reason not to include the JP VO lest the licensing costs throw Atlus into doom.
P4 Golden is coming, no worries.

People who don't think Golden is coming are:
A) Beyond paranoid / pessimistic
B) Don't understand business
C) Are really dumb
D) Combination of above

kadotsu

Banned
It's funny ever since plugging in P3 and expecting dual audio but no option.. oh shit.! In this case budget priced versions of fighters have dual audio. There's no reason not to include the JP VO lest the licensing costs throw Atlus into doom.

Licensing costs aren't as high as they used to be (mostly because demand has gone way down). NISA was able to bring over Sakura Taisen V in dual audio, which features jp. VAs of One Piece main characters. Right now, in 2012, VHS level localization is simply unacceptable. I understood the argument in the PSP/PS2/DS era because of hardware and infrastructural limitations at the time. But now we have the mass storage and even if we didn't have it DLC would be a viable option to bring videogame localizations to the level movies were ever since DVDs arrived.
I don't care how good the English voice overs are and I don't believe that anyone at Atlus actively tries to put out a sub par product. I actually believe that they are doing an excellent job with the cash they are given. But they could at least try to bring dual audio to their biggest, most profitable IP.
They are a enthusiast publisher and they are simply not satisfying their costumers to the extend they could. And when you ask $40-$80 for a game in a soon DD only market you should try to get the most out of the people that are still willing to pay these prices. I would rather have a publisher that thrives satisfying "weeaboos" than a dead publisher that went down having a code.

Eusis

People who don't think Golden is coming are:
A) Beyond paranoid / pessimistic
B) Don't understand business
C) Are really dumb
D) Combination of above
At this point it'd take 2012 actually being the end of the world to keep them from releasing it here, especially with them announcing the fighting game spin-off today. Honestly, I'd be more worried about whether I get to play it this year or not rather than it coming out at all, though the fact it PROBABLY comes after the fighter is enough I may just go "fuck it" and play through the PS2 original anyway at last.

I think only some cases it will be much more expensive depend on situation, contract and other stuff, some very special situation like kara no shoujo definitely will make the game more expensive.

for example mangagamer need 2000 sales to put back voice in koihime musou which contain 48 voiced heroine lots of them voiced by well known seiyuu.

I doubt every single atlus localized game always have some kind of contract problem, special situation, or any thing that make it too expensive to include japanese voice. maybe it is just atlususa policy to not even include jp voice at all??? no one knows the real reason...........

if it is such impossible and often more expensive thing for atlususa to do then maybe NISA/aksys is just too awesome that they often manage to get dual/japanese voice (for a game that probably sold less then atlususa game) , neptunia mk 2 for example have dual voice option, it is not a game that will sell a lot in here .yet it have top tier name like hocchan (also in persona 4), tanaka rie, etc popular rookie like ogura yui.

cj_iwakura

Obviously I believe they should be, and lately they have been localizing pretty much every title the JP branch has (I think? I forget if another Growlanser or two other than the one we're getting this summer came out), but I'm not sure how they do their business as far as evaluating the market, since we know they put SMT at the front of every game close to the series, mostly for brand awareness.

There's a solid handful of Atlus JP games that have never come out here, not even counting Growlanser titles.

That said, I prefer a solid US dub to any JP voiceover, but I'm fine when it's not an option.
(As long as audio isn't removed, which is kind of ridiculous, but as I said in the IV thread, I'll always take getting the game over not getting it at all, and in GIV's case, this is Bernkastel Miracle status.)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Oh shit, didn't expect this on the 360.

I'm fucking game, if only to support a potential P5 release on the 360.

Bladenic

Can't wait to main Kanji and Yukiko <3

On another note, should I try BlazBlue since it's the same developer? I'm not huge in to very technical fighters though..

cj_iwakura

Can't wait to main Kanji and Yukiko <3

On another note, should I try BlazBlue since it's the same developer? I'm not huge in to very technical fighters though..

BlazBlue is amazing, and has the best netcode of any fighting game on the market, so yes.

Eusis

(As long as audio isn't removed, which is kind of ridiculous, but as I said in the IV thread, I'll always take getting the game over not getting it at all, and in GIV's case, this is Bernkastel Miracle status.)
Yeah, audio removing is pretty case by case. Tales games it's a slight disappointment, Valkyrie Profile: CotP was a case showing the SE tax was complete bullshit, and Growlanser goes to the opposite end in that it's $30 AND the only way we'd have seen this game for sure. Then there's MMZX Advent that showed... uhh, it was probably good the first game didn't bother, and that wasn't even one of the crappier Mega Man dubs.

Still, for Japanese/English I think it's case by case for me. Quality's an obvious factor, but there's also which makes more sense and which I'm more used to. Especially relevant if one choice or the other does anything interesting like characters speaking in differing languages.

Oh, yeah, as for the name: I think Persona 4: The Ultimate Arena would've worked fine. Just The Arena IS pretty bland.

Eusis

I liked covenant's english dub
Except, outside of battles, there was no dub. SE expects us to pay $5-10 more for their games than everyone else's, yet they couldn't be bothered to use a bigger cart and actually give the US version the same amount of VA as the Japanese version. One of the game I least regretted waiting for a discount on, even though SE's DS localization efforts pretty much evaporated after its release.

Although for Persona 4: Arena I think chances of getting both English and Japanese VA are pretty solid. Doubt it takes as much space as an RPG or even be as cinematic heavy as a game like Catherine, and if half the problem is how the games are coded then BlazBlue indicates that isn't a problem for Arc System Works. And Atlus generally HAS thrown both in if it was practical, so I imagine the only hurdle here are licensing costs.

Eusis

I have to admit, being a tri-Ace game the dub probably could've been subpar anyway (don't recall VP2's being bad though, and RoF DID seem to get off lighter), but then they should've at least charged $35 or something. A premium price implies premium treatment, or at least a larger budget, and nothing about the game justified that cost except maybe the fact being a niche title means they need to sell at a higher price to recoup costs. Which, well, doesn't seem to be enough of an issue for Atlus or Xseed, so even that angle isn't terribly convincing.

Enough of that though, I'm derailing the thread enough as it is over a somewhat old pet peeve of mine that's more at home in threads about portable pricing anyway.

Daft_Cat

Hopefully Atlus USA makes Gertsmann playable in the international version. Loved his Persona 4 cameo.

tumblr_lnc3tkD9dZ1qe89lm

Esura

Banned
Though this makes sense, if they want to cater to the fighting game base, which is the main userbase aside from Persona fans in this case, they would be wise to include it. Though it's not a dealbreaker I suppose, when you're paying for a full retail release, there are some things one would expect.
Wait, people expect dual audios in fighters? LOL wow.

I just left it on default. Damn...companies can make a killing off suckers with Japanese VA DLC if they wanted to.

Just wish they were straight with it so id know if I need to import or not asap.

I never played any game of Atlus with dual audio. You might just want to import.

Junie12

Damn, I love Persona 4 and all but 60 bucks for this is really hard to swallow. Hopefully they add more characters in the game and have an awesome pre-order bonus to entice me. But as it stands now, I will wait for the price drop.

Teknoman

Dual audio would be nice, but its not like the english voice acting for recent Atlus games is horrible. Unless you're used to the JP voices of course. Honestly I think the english voices fit each character just fine.

Anyway PS3 day 1...hopefully it controls great with a pad because i'm not buying another stick :p

Eusis

Dual audio would be nice, but its not like the english voice acting for recent Atlus games is horrible. Unless you're used to the JP voices of course. Honestly I think the english voices fit each character just fine.

Anyway PS3 day 1...hopefully it controls great with a pad because i'm not buying another stick :p
I tend to prefer my fighters subtitled after playing enough of them in Japanese over the years, but I'd probably go with dubbed for Persona 4 Arena just because of how used I am to the English VA. It just wouldn't seem right to have them in Japanese unlike Street Fighter or BlazBlue.

Top Bottom