• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA announces Persona 4 Arena, Summer 2012

TEJ

Not much interested in the P4 characters, only P3 character I liked was junpei. does junpei show up? i'd buy the game if the demi fiend was playable even if I had to pay for him via dlc.

im happy for this news.
No buy if japanese dub is not there...

I understand the language and i prefer the jp dub.
in fact playing p4 in undub was just perfect.

No escuse..there is enough space in the disc

LiK

im happy for this news.

their excuse is not wanting to pay for the JPN VO artists. dunno the details but that's the reason, correct me if i'm wrong.

Jenga

Banned
i can only hope this is successful enough for atlus to consider a SMT fighter

they have a few decades worth of protagonists/characters to draw from

You can make this point to an otaku five billion times over, and it will still never seem to actually enter their mind and be processed. I'd love to know the science behind it, really.

For fighting games at least, I'd rather not fully understand what's being said. Makes it less distracting.

...Fucking MVC3 Trish.

Volcynika

im happy for this news.

Then import. If it's not there, then I hope to not see you in the thread complaining about it.

im happy for this news.

No excuse..there is enough space in the disc

No offense but the fact people still think like this in 2012 in regards to games is beyond me. So I take it given your statement you'd rather import the game for more money simply for the voices.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
1) At $60, this game will be a hard sell with only 10 characters. Even to Persona fans. Depending on release window, Skullgirls could kill this game at a smaller price point.

2) No confirmed audio options. Without Japanese audio, I won't even consider this. I don't care about the reasoning. I know it, I understand it and I honestly don't care. If you want me to fork up $60, you better have them.

So, hopefully the new features and confirmation of Japanese audio comes through so I can drop the money down on this. I will support 2D sprite fighters over 2D polygon fighters any day.

YAY!
But I really hope the EU release isn't too far behind.
:(

Then no buy.
Atlus US or JP have some stupid mental block when it comes to Dual Language.

its really stupid.
People are asking for it for years..ontheir foroms for some of the games where it was doable..

Good luck missing a feature present in every fighter from japan

Volcynika

its really stupid.
People are asking for it for years..ontheir foroms for some of the games where it was doable..

Good luck missing a feature present in every fighter from japan

There's a lot more to putting JP voices on than just "oh let's just turn this on." Tons of people are pretty naive and don't understand why it's not included in some games.

Kyari

Realistically no one is going to be so upset by the lack of dual language support that they don't buy the game. Its pretty trivial in the grand scheme of fighting games.
That being said, BlazBlue had dual language support so it's possible.

There's a lot more to putting JP voices on than just "oh let's just turn this on." Tons of people are pretty naive and don't understand why it's not included in some games.

A key reason being the extra costs to use the work. Do people realize VA work costs more in regards to licensing issues? I don't think they do or realize.

Personally I'm a fan of the English dub, but I'm baffled as to why Atlus in particular are so stubborn about empowering their customers.
A key reason being the extra costs to use the work. Do people realize VA work costs more in regards to licensing issues? I don't think they do or realize.
So? The customer is always right. Make it an optional purchaseable dlc if cost really is the issue.

Kintaro

So, why can NISA and Aksys do it but Atlus can't? Can we just call it what it is? Cutting corners to keep shit cheap for them.

Or has Atlus been surpassed by other companies for a long time now?

Volcynika

So, why can NISA and Aksys do it but Atlus can't? Can we just call it what it is? Cutting corners to keep shit cheap for them.

A lot of it is probably renegotiation of contracts for JP dubs. NISA is very involved with the development of the Japanese games they publish, so those contracts are made early and there's no need to re-license. And Aksys is close enough to ArcSys and the BlazBlue games that it was pretty expected they'd bring them over. Atlus seems like it may just be a situation of the costs for licensing the voices again is too great and may overshoot their budgets.

(Granted I have no clue of the internal workings of any company, but I'm pretty sure I'm spot on about NISA).

Wonderful post, well done.
Why couldn't you just explain why you disagree? Or how I might be wrong?
Would that be too difficult for you?

I had to laugh at the "customer is always right" bit, but like I said before, licensing and contracts. Don't forget the cost of putting any patch or DLC probably isn't cheap.

are you calling me naive ?
I know more or less what is going on behind the scenes..
But It's a long requested feature and they do nothing about it when other companies do make the effort..

In the end it just lazy work from them toward me.

I'll import a jap ver... i wont support a work i'm not happy with.

Personally I'm a fan of the English dub, but I'm baffled as to why Atlus in particular are so stubborn about empowering their customers.

So? The customer is always right. Make it an optional purchaseable dlc if cost really is the issue.

My point is this, if they found it to be profitable and within their budget they would give it to us. The reason they aren't is because why risk a greater loss for a small niche in an already recognized small sales group? From a business stand point (what matters ultimately) the choice is obvious well to me anyway.

That is (fairly obviously, I thought) not the final cover.

Chie and Kanji'll still on it, right? :D

I'm a fan of Giant Bomb, but OH MY GOD do I hate this name and how much play it sometimes get. Ugh.

It's hilarious!
It'll be his name for my MC in Golden.

if there's anything i dislike about atlus, it's the american dubs

even if i don't understand what anyone is saying in the japanese audio i can still tell they're usually much better actors

Some of THE best VA efforts in the ENTIRETY of the gaming industry? Really?

Volcynika

are you calling me naive ?
I know more or less what is going on behind the scenes..
But It's a long requested feature and they do nothing about it when other companies do make the effort..

In the end it just lazy work from them toward me.

I'll import a jap ver... i wont support a work i'm not happy with.

You have the right to spend your money where you want and on what you want, but just to call it lazy work from them is insulting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Or has Atlus been surpassed by other companies for a long time now?
I think Atlus thinks their US dubs are fine. I've given up on bitching about this after Catherine, because it's clear that they have no intention of ever including JP voices in their games.

Kintaro

A lot of it is probably renegotiation of contracts for JP dubs. NISA is very involved with the development of the Japanese games they publish, so those contracts are made early and there's no need to re-license. And Aksys is close enough to ArcSys and the BlazBlue games that it was pretty expected they'd bring them over. Atlus seems like it may just be a situation of the costs for licensing the voices again is too great and may overshoot their budgets.

Shouldn't Atlus USA be front and center in any contracts for Atlus JP games? I mean, it makes absolutely no sense that they can't afford to bring over their own shit. It's always struck me as asinine.

Seems like?
Then why not just publicly state this? That's what frustrates me more actually, that they aren't direct and forthright with their fans about it.
like I said before, licensing and contracts. Don't forget the cost of putting any patch or DLC probably isn't cheap.
Indeed, the costs had occurred to me. Really more just frustrated by a lack of transparency on the issue. I believe fans deserve that at least.
My point is this, if they found it to be profitable and within their budget they would give it to us. The reason they aren't is because why risk a greater loss for a small niche in an already recognized small sales group? From a business stand point (what matters ultimately) the choice is obvious well to me anyway.
It's a fallacy argument, but as pointed out, others do it, others cater to that niche.

Volcynika

Shouldn't Atlus USA be front and center in any contracts for Atlus JP games? I mean, it makes absolutely no sense that they can't afford to bring over their own shit. It's always struck me as asinine.

Obviously I believe they should be, and lately they have been localizing pretty much every title the JP branch has (I think? I forget if another Growlanser or two other than the one we're getting this summer came out), but I'm not sure how they do their business as far as evaluating the market, since we know they put SMT at the front of every game close to the series, mostly for brand awareness.

Seems like?
Then why not just publicly state this? That's what frustrates me more actually, that they aren't direct and forthright with their fans about it.

Indeed, the costs had occurred to me. Really more just frustrated by a lack of transparency on the issue. I believe fans deserve that at least.

Because for multiple reasons (probably legalities) they probably can't outright state the inner workings of how they do things.

Uraizen

Banned
So... like... with all the arguing about the dubs, did anyone consider whether or not we would be able to play with the owners of the Japanese version if we get different voice data? Would the data be included on the disc so we can play with owners of the Japanese version? Would it just use the english VAs in place of the Japanese audio clips? Would we just not be able to play with those who own the Japanese version? I mean... this is something to consider, too, no?

Kintaro

Well, whatever. I'll wait for confirmation either way. All I know is that if they even entertain the thought of bringing this out for $60, they shouldn't even bother. That just will not fly.

Volcynika

Is it more expensive to re-license Japanese VO work than to rehire/record the relevant English-language cast from Persona 3/4?

As far as I understand it (you'd have to find the post from Belisarius, who works at Aksys), JP VA is a LOT different as far as how many people want a piece of the pie. It apparently can be noticeably more expensive, especially for the higher tier voice actors.

Because for multiple reasons (probably legalities) they probably can't outright state the inner workings of how they do things.
Oh I can guess that too, but I don't have to agree/be happy with this. I see no reason to give Atlus a break on this. Plenty of other companies are willing to come out & explain their reasonings, Atlus should too.

Top Bottom