• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA kills rumors | no PC & Switch versions of Persona 5 & Yakuza 0

asagami_

Banned
Atlus USA even commenting on anything related to development or the future of Atlus releases is funny.

Yeah, I mean, oficially they know there are no plans about Switch or PC, but Atlus USA never knows what will happen to Atlus. Even if Persona 5 on Switch it's a thing, it would be under NDA or a future project.

Papacheeks

Banned
Right, but it's not Sony's job either to call exclusive what isn't. Then again, it's THEIR labeling.

If it's not on other consoles then it is exclusive to Playstations console. It's on where it makes the most sense currently. Could a PC version be in the cards? yes. Does it make more sense to launch the game on the consoles the series has been more prominent on? Yes.

To me I see this game being on Switch because of relations with the 3DS game they had before seeing a PC version. Dead Rising 3 is still exclusive to xbox, even though it also on PC. The game is not on Playstation, nor Nintendo.

Street Fighter V is still console exclusive even though its on PC.

I dont understand how that stuff isn't straight up clear?

MUnited83

For you.
That's certainly not your role to decide that, especially when Nintendo already repeat everywhere that Switch is first and foremost an home console. We will have to see how the consumers decide what the Switch is, with the picture certainly becoming more clear in one week.

In any case I've never heard before about a schizophrenic game machine being a home console for the West and a handheld for the East at the same time. That would be a first.
Unless you think that Nintendo wants to have a bigger bomb than the Wii U, I don't see why you would think that. It's obviously going to be marketed for its portable capabilities in Japan, and it is going to the only handheld alive in Japan in 2/3 years.

Why so many people here don't understand the very purpose of the switch? If it was actually supposed to be a home console, it would be a fucking home console.

If it's not on other consoles then it is exclusive to Playstations console. It's on where it makes the most sense currently. Could a PC version be in the cards? yes. Does it make more sense to launch the game on the consoles the series has been more prominent on? Yes.

To me I see this game being on Switch because of relations with the 3DS game they had before seeing a PC version. Dead Rising 3 is still exclusive to xbox, even though it also on PC. The game is not on Playstation, nor Nintendo.

Right then in that case, people should understand that some questions arise when a game is labeled as a console exclusive.

This answer resulted in 27 pages?

yDH4vMW.jpg

It's pretty straight forward sfv is console exclusive (when it comes to xb1 and Nintendo).. mental gymnastics I guess.

Papacheeks

Banned
Right then in that case, people should understand that some questions arise when a game is labeled as a console exclusive.

Like what? If it's on one console and not the other how is it not cut and dry? If the game came out at a later date on Nintendo Switch it still wouldn't undermine that at the time of the games announcement to release and some time after it was only available on that said console.

I guess I dont see why questions would arise. Especially if that said console the game was releasing on, was the same company previous entries released on.

It's like Why is yakuza 0 releasing on Playstation? Because maybe the series started on playstation?

I mean lets do a hypothetical for a second, if Sony didn't label any of these at all like even their first party games, would there be a shit storm at stores, retailers?

Answer is YES. Mom and dad come into store wanting to buy a game their son saw or told them to buy that was advertised on tv, asks clerk for said game for NIntendo or whatever, clerk informs them it's not available for that system. They would be like why not? It didn't say that it wasn't, or any indication that it was exclusive.

Good thing the Switch is going to be mainly a handheld on Japan then, and Atlus JRPGs had no issues selling on Nintendo's handhelds before.

Even so, the only reason P4G and P3P existed was due to Atlus have dev problems on PS3. Now that their latest game has seen unprecedented success on PS4/3, domestically and likely in the West, P5 FES is more likely than P5G.

That's pretty short sighted to limit it to these genre. Also for the games you have cited which are, according to you, port begged, may I recall you that Sony announced these as "console exclusives" or "console debuts" ? It didn't came out of nowhere.

Regardless of Sony's labels these discussions will still be had. The lines of it will eventually come. Do you know how long it took till some on this board realised Bloodborne was not coming to PC?

Nozomi

Banned
I love this. PC and Switch gamers needing to beg for ports while PS4 gamers get to sit back and decide whether they want to buy these games or not since we get pretty much everything first anyway.

I couldn't care less if these games go to other platforms, not buying Yakuza 0 anyway, since we're getting Persona 5 and the game doesn't change anything.

The port begging is funny though. Great not having to do that this gen.

raw

Menitta

I'm gonna make a bunch of stickers that say Console Exclusive and just put them on random games in a GameStop as a result of this thread.

The label matter probably is describing that there's no contract to determine that game is an absolute exclusive of that platform.
What I mean by this is, Bloodborne was financially supported by Sony so there was a contract between From and Sony that restringes the game to be released only on Sony platform and therefore it has the label on the cover, since Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 as we know weren't financed by Sony there isn't the same type of contract between them and Sega, so Sega could release both later on whatever platform they want.

Regardless of Sony's labels these discussions will still be had. The lines of it will eventually come. Do you know how long it took till some on this board realised Bloodborne was not coming to PC?

Right, then why is it only about THESE specific titles ? Dont you think it's rather weird that the one being discussed are the one with these labels in question ?

Papacheeks

Banned
The label matter probably is describing that there's no contract to determine that game is an absolute exclusive of that platform.
What I mean by this is, Bloodborne was financially supported by Sony so there was a contract between From and Sony that restringes the game to be released only on Sony platform and therefore it has the label on the cover, since Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 as we know weren't financed by Sony there isn't the same type of contract between them and Sega, so Sega could release both later on whatever platform they want.

Or it could be Sony's relationship with these series? And because maybe sony ni some way shape or form either by using their third party publishing, or just promoting the game at PSX, E3 there's reasons why they would have those labels. And thats because the game at the time was not coming to other platforms. If it was at the time sega, or atlus would have said something to sony and some kind of agreement or no label would have been what they did.

The game is prominent on playstation consoles not PC, not xbox, and currently not switch which could change since they did have Persona Q.

The label is what it is curently :
5576900_sd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

Dont know if thats final, but it's on Bestbuy's site. So when this game releases it's not going to be on Xbox, Wii U, PC until a later date. WHich means for the time being it is exclusive to playstation.

Dont know how this get's 27 thread pages.

jmga

Or it could be Sony's relationship with these series? And because maybe sony ni some way shape or form either by using their third party publishing, or just promoting the game at PSX, E3 there's reasons why they would have those labels. And thats because the game at the time was not coming to other platforms. If it was at the time sega, or atlus would have said something to sony and some kind of agreement or no label would have been what they did.

The game is prominent on playstation consoles not PC, not xbox, and currently not switch which could change since they did have Persona Q.

The label is what it is curently :
5576900_sd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

Dont know if thats final, but it's on Bestbuy's site. So when this game releases it's not going to be on Xbox, Wii U, PC until a later date. WHich means for the time being it is exclusive to playstation.

Dont know how this get's 27 thread pages.
Is it?

glamshot.jpg

http://yakuza.sega.com/yakuza0/purchase.html

jmga

Are people seriously still implying it's coming to PC after that tweet? People make mistakes, especially something as confusing as the branding of different exclusive types. We now have definitive word from a credible source. It's over.

It is a mistake that has been repeated several times in different promo materials including its reveal at PSX.

It literally says PS4 console exclusive on the box art in that image.

How is that not clear?

It is pretty clear. That is the brand Sony has been using for games coming also to PC.

MUnited83

For you.
Are people seriously still implying it's coming to PC after that tweet? People make mistakes, especially something as confusing as the branding of different exclusive types. We now have definitive word from a credible source. It's over.
I know right. I've also enjoyed the definitive version of Persona 5 since it released two years ago. Dunno why people are talking so much now about such a old title.

Even so, the only reason P4G and P3P existed was due to Atlus have dev problems on PS3. Now that their latest game has seen unprecedented success on PS4/3, domestically and likely in the West, P5 FES is more likely than P5G.

Nah. Portable versions existed because portable versions sell better in Japan. That's just facts.

MacTag

Banned
Atlus ported the entire Persona series to PSP/Vita because handheld rereleases are pretty standard business practice. And it was incredibly lucrative for them, in some cases even moreso than the original console releases.

Also P3P sold more than P3 Fes. I'm not sure why a P5 Fes is more likely when it's probably going to sell less than a P5 Crimson would. Opening up your game to a new userbase tends to yield higher sales than trying to sell a reissue to the same base, the logic's not hard to follow there.

Famitsu
Persona 3: 210,319
Persona 3 Fes: 173,244
Persona 3 Portable: 305,804

Gurnlei

I love this. PC and Switch gamers needing to beg for ports while PS4 gamers get to sit back and decide whether they want to buy these games or not since we get pretty much everything first anyway.

I couldn't care less if these games go to other platforms, not buying Yakuza 0 anyway, since we're getting Persona 5 and the game doesn't change anything.

image.php

I really can't tell if posts like this are sarcasm or not.

Durante

What I find really interesting is that I know for a fact that many people at the Western divisions of various JRPG publishers are actively fighting for more and better PC ports.
At the same time, it often seems like someone at Atlus USA has a particular dislike for the idea. Maybe it's just an impression I get -- I mean, until recently it seemed to be the same situation for dual audio.

Anyway, personally I don't care much for the Persona franchise (unlike Atelier, which I never expected to come to PC but now does), but it's a curious situation.

Like, I'll say "there is no way P5 PC wouldn't be massively profitable" and I'd get replies like "you don't know anything about business lol why don't u run Atlus" and "show me the proof".

And then if I put together a good post like that, showing how Sega already makes enough to pay most or all of a developer's salary off one of several major sales per year on one of their more obscure modern titles, along with comments from developers and people with insider knowledge like Durante on the time and money it takes to do a passable PC port... I'd probably just get the kinds of responses I already got for trying to make a case that Yakuza could make money on PC. Essentially, that unless you have sales for Yakuza on PC, any other data you can gather is meaningless.

And around and around you go. Because this isn't really about great games being more accessible and selling more. This isn't about Persona having an almost undeniable chance at selling a few hundred thousand extra copies (and probably more, I mean if Tales games already pull that off...). It's an emotional discussion tainted by people with an emotional attachment to a platform, who feel uncomfortable, almost cheated on, when games for their thing show up somewhere else.

Which is why this thread is 90% angry reactions to/mocking of "port beggers" as if talking about ports isn't the entire topic of this thread. Why one dude saying some inane nonsense about owning a PS4 but not wanting to buy games for it gets quoted again and again, consistently re-framed as if a bunch of people said that instead of the one lunatic.
This is a good post.

Papacheeks

Banned
It is a mistake that has been repeated several times in different promo materials including its reveal at PSX.

It's not a mistake the label means what it means "Console" exclusive. PC is not a console. So when they say "Only on Playstation" or PS4 console exclusive they mean similar things that the game is not coming to other "consoles". Those labels dont mean anything about PC if there is or isn't a version.

They are strictly for promotion of the console version. Which is the main selling platform for this series period.

jmga

It's not a mistake the label means what it means "Console" exclusive. PC is not a console. So when they say "Only on Playstation" or PS4 console exclusive they mean similar things that the game is not coming to other "consoles". Those labels dont mean anything about PC if there is or isn't a version.

They are strictly for promotion of the console version. Which is the main selling platform for this series period.

Nope, Sony invented that label with Street Fighter V, it is destined to games releasing on PC and PS4.

And it only has been used for that until now.

Tagyhag

Yo what is happening to GAF, lmao.

Sony relationship with the series doesn't award them absolute exclusives like Bloodborne, financial aid/investment does, if there's a contract between both entities declaring that it will be a only on playstation the label will be on the box. If there isn't some other label will be on the cover, like console exclusive or having nothing at all.
By the way "console exclusive" isn't the same as "only on playstation". There are plenty of "console exclusives" on PC.

Papacheeks

Banned

It is pretty clear. That is the brand Sony has been using for games coming also to PC.

It's not Sony's fucking job to sell you a pc copy. That's the people who own the IP, and are publishing it. Unless Sony is publishing the game, but even so they may only publish the console version and leave the pc up to sega/atlus.

It's their job to sell this game on their console. Especially if it's not going to be currently when it releases on any other "Console".

It is cut and dry, but people want to read between lines that are not fucking there. Game is coming out on playstation console only currently, so it's being marketed as such. If there was some kind of stealth release on PC then thats on sega/atlus. Sony did their job correctly which was inform buyers about a game they couldn't get on any other "console".

Papacheeks

Banned
Nope, Sony invented that label with Street Fighter V, it is destined to games releasing on PC and PS4.

And it only has been used for that until now.

The label means what it means though. Your saying the label doesn';t mean that it's only on sony's console? The label literally says "PS4 CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE". Which to everyone else outside of neogaf means thats its only on that fucking console period. It says nothing that it's on PC as well. I mean if their PR explanation to forums, and publications has been that they have different labels that represent the different deals they do, then i guess there's discussion to be had on forums. But that does not impact what they actual message of the label is though. Which is that it's on Sony's console and not Nintendo, Microsoft. Which is what sony's PR and lavels are suppose to do which is sell games for that console not PC.

It is what it is.

What the heck is this post lol.

jmga

It's not Sony's fucking job to sell you a pc copy. That's the people who own the IP, and are publishing it. Unless Sony is publishing the game, but even so they may only publish the console version and leave the pc up to sega/atlus.

It's their job to sell this game on their console. Especially if it's not going to be currently when it releases on any other "Console".

It is cut and dry, but people want to read between lines that are not fucking there. Game is coming out on playstation console only currently, so it's being marketed as such. If there was some kind of stealth release on PC then thats on sega/atlus. Sony did their job correctly which was inform buyers about a game they couldn't get on any other "console".

It's Sony's job to use or license their brands properly though.

And they have been distinguishing between full exclusives and PS4+PC for more than a year.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why did people think these were coming to PC/Switch? I haven't seen those rumours

Because it's dumb to exclude platforms in this day and age. Atlus is a niche publisher. They need to be on as many available platforms as they can muster to get as many sales back as they can.

Persona is no surprise at all, not sure why people thought it would be on PC or Switch.

Yakuza is a bummer though. I legitimately think it would do well on PC. I didn't expect it to come out there, but it would be great if it did.

Persona is no surprise at all, not sure why people thought it would be on PC or Switch.

Yakuza is a bummer though. I legitimately think it would do well on PC. I didn't expect it to come out there, but it would be great if it did.
We have seen time and time again Japanese games do well on PC. Japanese publishers are idiots, really.

Papacheeks

Banned
No, that's not what it means at all. It's what they call a "Console Exclusive". Basically, PS4/PC release. Always has been the case in their conferences.

But their labels are literally only talking about consoles though?

Like that bearing does that have on the average consumer?

It does its job?

The whole this means(PS4+PC relase) label regardless of what it means PR wise, means nothing to the consumers who watch PSX, E3 or see box art.

Because it's way easier to just shout at people who make ewually reasonable but less derailed posts. You come at one lile that, you actually have to put effort in.

Like, I'll say "there is no way P5 PC wouldn't be massively profitable" and I'd get replies like "you don't know anything about business lol why don't u run Atlus" and "show me the proof".

And then if I put together a good post like that, showing how Sega already makes enough to pay most or all of a developer's salary off one of several major sales per year on one of their more obscure modern titles, along with comments from developers and people with insider knowledge like Durante on the time and money it takes to do a passable PC port... I'd probably just get the kinds of responses I already got for trying to make a case that Yakuza could make money on PC. Essentially, that unless you have sales for Yakuza on PC, any other data you can gather is meaningless.

And around and around you go. Because this isn't really about great games being more accessible and selling more. This isn't about Persona having an almost undeniable chance at selling a few hundred thousand extra copies (and probably more, I mean if Tales games already pull that off...). It's an emotional discussion tainted by people with an emotional attachment to a platform, who feel uncomfortable, almost cheated on, when games for their thing show up somewhere else.

Which is why this thread is 90% angry reactions to/mocking of "port beggers" as if talking about ports isn't the entire topic of this thread. Why one dude saying some inane nonsense about owning a PS4 but not wanting to buy games for it gets quoted again and again, consistently re-framed as if a bunch of people said that instead of the one lunatic.

Better turn down facts and relies on the old "port beggars lol" "only selling at 1 dollars with 3 free games" shtick. Some people indeed are emotionnally invested that "their games" might be stolen. I mean, it's not like some claimed to be "physically ill" and got their "stomach hurting" when it happened.

But their labels are literally only talking about consoles though?

Like that bearing does that have on the average consumer?

It does its job?

Right, it's their label calling it a "Console Exclusive" implying the same thing as others "Console Exclusive" titles.

giphy.gif

Grief.exe

Because it's way easier to just shout at people who make ewually reasonable but less derailed posts. You come at one lile that, you actually have to put effort in.

This accurately sums up what transpired in this thread.

Papacheeks

Banned
Better turn down facts and relies on the old "port beggars lol" "only selling at 1 dollars with 3 free games" shtick. Some people indeed are emotionnally invested that "their games" might be stolen. I mean, it's not like some claimed to be "physically ill" and got their "stomach hurting" when it happened.

Right, it's their label calling it a "Console Exclusive" implying the same thing as others "Console Exclusive" titles.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why a consumer would care if a label meant something other than what it actually says? Like if your saying that Sony's labels have meant the game is also coming to PC then shouldn't the PC version by the publisher/dev be promoted by them not Sony.

So if this is a huge cluster fuck as you guys are making it out to be label wise, what would you have the games be then? No labels, "Console Exclusive", Playstation Exclusive, Timed Exclusive, "Also available on PC label"?

I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around how this affects the consumer?

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why a consumer would care if a label meant something other than what it actually says? Like if your saying that Sony's labels have meant the game is also coming to PC then shouldn't the PC version by the publisher/dev be promoted by them not Sony.

So if this is a huge cluster fuck as you guys are making it out to be label wise, what would you have the games be then? No labels, "Console Exclusive", Playstation Exclusive, Timed Exclusive, "Also available on PC label"?

I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around how this affects the consumer?

Pretty simple: Sony calls it a console exclusive, which in their language means coming to PS4 and PC. People wonder if it's coming to PC somehow. Case closed. People aren't begging for Yakuza 0 or whatever and it didn't came out of nowhere. It's because it's been labeled by Sony as such.

dan2026

I didn't think port begging threads were allowed. I guess they must be ok now.

But seriously guys Atlus is one of the most backwards developers in the business.
Did you really expect a pc port?

I feel we already had to move heaven and earth just to get dual audio.

Top Bottom