• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA kills rumors | no PC & Switch versions of Persona 5 & Yakuza 0

TheFlow

Banned
Would be a shame since I would vastly prefer to play Persona 5 on Switch (as handheld) rather than on my PS4. So much more comfortable and practical to play a big JRPG of that nature on a handheld, during trainrides and what-not, as I just did with the wonderful Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse.

how is it not comfortable and practical playing it on the big screen at your house?

Flui111

Banned
FACT: every game that isn't an IP of a first party console manufacturer should be on PC.

disgusting move from Atlus/SEGA

I agree with this statement as it's free money to them and helps to build a fanbase of respective publishers on the platform

I agree.

It's like when SMT4 Apocalypse was announced and people kept getting mad at him about European release, despite him explaining why Atlus USA had no control of it (they are pretty small) and all the other issues that went along with it.
People refuse to let the 2015 thing go so I guess everything he says is a lie lol.
i pretty much got over that its been awhile

Hero

Thought we weren't supposed to make threads off of tweets?

Anyway, not really news. You expected him to say otherwise?

epmode

Leaving money on the table. P5 in particular would be big on PC.

I'll buy it wherever it plays best but I'm not going to lie; I'd much rather have it on PC. Infinite forwards compatibility, better performance, mods.

MacTag

Banned
Right?

And games like Yakuza, and Persona 5 would automatically light the charts on fire? Especially since they are part of a series?

How many copies of Tales of Zestria, Dragon quest heroes have been sold on PC?
Zestiria's near 300k actually! Wow.

Cool. No denial of Xbox.

giphy.gif

Dascu

how is it not comfortable and practical playing it on the big screen at your house?

I like grinding and dungeon-crawling on the couch while watching something on TV, or on the train, or airplane (I travel a lot for work). The nice thing with the Switch is that I have that flexibility, so I was hoping for P5 to come to that platform at some point.

Banned
No portable version of Persona. Money left on the table there. Ah well. I got my pro to play it on.

Unknown?

FACT: every game that isn't an IP of a first party console manufacturer should be on PC.

Hahaha we have a financial expert here. Man people are deluded. Too bad the people begging for ports will never end.

kswiston

No surprise this is Altus aka one of the last japanese mohycans completely ignoring Steam's renaissance of japanese games ....
Altus is gonna Altus :p

Eh. Atlus will stop Atlusing if Sega forced them to (or farmed out the PC port).

Sega hasn't been super concerned at maximizing their profit from the upsurge of support for Japanese games on Steam either, despite Valkyria Chronicles moving around 900k copies to date.

If I remember right It's not the first time Hardin tell us about this. But like last time, some people on GAF are really sarcastic and ill manered towards him "it's just the PR guy, lol".

He really don't need to adress this and I don't know why he wastes his time.

But it's a fact though. This isn't sarcastic or ill manered. Hardin is in a though position. Do people really expected him to come out and say "Yes it's happening !" if it wasn't announced ? I'm not saying it's happening or whatever. I'm saying that PR have to stick to strict disclosed informations. They either don't know OR they have to wait.

how 2 preserve :((

Yes, preservation is great indeed. I don't even see your point. There's many great games that, today, would've disappeared without PC versions or emulation.

Looks like PS4 will have 2 of the best JRPGs this gen as exclusives (judging by the P5 import thread anyway). The other being bloodborne of course.

I don't understand Sega's/Atlus' business decision to not put this kind of game on platforms where this kind of game has an audience. To be frank, it sounds incredibly idiotic to me despite bein unaffected ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

But these games are on the platform that it'll sell the most to the audience that buy these games.

PC ports don't actually make money, in fact, it will probably detract from the sales of the console versions because of piracy. This is a sensible conclusion to come to.

Citation required.

Infernostew said:
But these games are on the platform that it'll sell the most to the audience that buy these games.

The PS3, sure. The PS4 isn't a success story in Japan.
Portables are where the actual market is in Japan.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
No community manager is going to announce something before it's announced, and there's actually limited reason to believe that a company will tell their community manager about stuff before it's ready to launch.

As an example, this exact person claimed Persona 5 was on track for a Winter (2002? 2003? 2004? Some year, anyway) release the day before the delay was announced. That's not because he's a liar or an incompetent, it's because information is fluid and a Community Manager doesn't need a ton of advance notice because it's not their job to be the first to tell people things, especially in a domestic subsidiary of an international company.

Hell, the actual president of Capcom USA characterized the Wii re-releases of REMake/RE0 as a poor value and explicitly said they'd not localize them a day before they announced they were localizing them. Again, not a liar, just symptomatic of the communication structure of firms.

That being said, I'm sure if any website posted a rumour it was a total crock of shit and just blind speculation. I absolutely buy that there is no currently planned and company-wide known PC or Switch version of these games. I'm just saying that the denial has essentially no predictive value given how many past "definitely no ports" later became ports.

How many copies of Tales of Zestria, Dragon quest heroes have been sold on PC?

Both of these games have sold on Steam seemingly about on par with the western sales of the games on PS4. Obviously the Tales Of games have CE's and stuff that may make them decent money but still, roughly comparable I would imagine.

No community manager is going to announce something before it's announced, and there's actually limited reason to believe that a company will tell their community manager about stuff before it's ready to launch.

As an example, this exact person claimed Persona 5 was on track for a Winter (2002? 2003? 2004? Some year, anyway) release the day before the delay was announced. That's not because he's a liar or an incompetent, it's because information is fluid and a Community Manager doesn't need a ton of advance notice because it's not their job to be the first to tell people things, especially in a domestic subsidiary of an international company.

Hell, the actual president of Capcom USA characterized the Wii re-releases of REMake/RE0 as a poor value and explicitly said they'd not localize them a day before they announced they were localizing them. Again, not a liar, just symptomatic of the communication structure of firms.

That being said, I'm sure if any website posted a rumour it was a total crock of shit and just blind speculation. I'm just saying that the denial has essentially no predictive value and I'm not sure why even bother posting one because almost everyone knows this.

Woooow stop you're making too much sense.

Just look at how poor Street Fighter V is selling. It's not rocket science.

Because selling over 250k doesn't make money. Just for the record: How much do you expect a port to cost ?

jmga

PC ports don't actually make money, in fact, it will probably detract from the sales of the console versions because of piracy. This is a sensible conclusion to come to.

Stupid things like this make me go away from this kind of threads.

NastyBook

Alright, I'll pass then. I don't play my PS4 enough.
pfffthahahahaha

The hyperbole! The entitlement!
Since we announced it for the PS4, people have been holding out hope for a PC version, despite me repeatedly saying otherwise. Turns out, some people aren't easily accepting of the lack of a PC version.
Something, something, money left on the table. Something, something, the franchise will finally flourish. Something, something, PS4 collecting dust.

Since we announced it for the PS4, people have been holding out hope for a PC version, despite me repeatedly saying otherwise. Turns out, some people aren't easily accepting of the lack of a PC version.

Maybe that should be an indication that there is demand for your product?

Is this why practically every other japanese developer but Atlus is releasing one game after another on Steam?

Top Bottom