• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart | Review Thread

Mozzarella

Alright guys i have enough answers, thank you. I was a bit lazy to search for it so thanks for the information.

So once they fix the technical issues we'll be left with a fun but bit cringey game? Sounds fine enough to me.
Yeah, looks like it, a lot of reviews are saying the writing is bad, i think i can believe them, though i will see for it myself, when you have an edgelord main character who swears between every word then you may expect that lol, but writing isn't a deal breaker for everyone, sometimes we just want to shoot things and solve puzzles through good level design and cool music, and this may have that.

Dishonored 2 story is awful imo, but i loved playing that game, so we'll see what this one brings.

GHG

Gold Member
Game runs perfectly on Series X so far but it could be a bad pc port, again. Really hope this game is given a fair shot lol.

It is annoying having reviewers only review games on Pc given how poor some recent ports have been. They should at least have a fallback system given that console versions, outside of cyberpunk, tend to be more polished.

Pc Master Race and their shader compilation issues again though hah.

If it's a "bad" PC port then in the case of 3rd party games usually the performance on consoles is equally as poor but because the settings and resolution are turned down for those versions it's not as impactful.

Fine if you have no standards I guess.

Last edited:

Luipadre

not a high 80 so the game must be shit

peepo-g.gif

Last edited:

reksveks

No game ever has been made for game pass. Even that shitty remedy game is available on retail for at least 2 platforms.

I don't know which Ninja theory game you're referring to but I can say with some confidence even that is a retail product (unless discontinued).
Think there was just one game which was the space jam one but think CrossfireX and Bleeding Edge (assume that's the one that they are referring to) was available either outside of GP or F2P.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Didn't mean for it to come that way. My apologies.
Bleeding edge was the other one I was thinking of. Not available anywhere (outside of pc of course) I don't think it made it to retail either? Don't know. Don't care either but there's definitely been some shovel ware thrown on there. In addition to many great games. Again. I'm mostly agreeing.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've just put this on for a quick look (took a virtual flight to New Zealand). First impressions are better than the scores it's received. Feels quite fallout/bioshock but with what I thought was a (slightly inconsistent) next gen sheen. I was surprised to see that it's on Xbox one as well as series consoles tbh.

Looks pretty great to me, looking forward to a proper look later.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Think there was just one game which was the space jam one but think CrossfireX and Bleeding Edge (assume that's the one that they are referring to) was available either outside of GP or F2P.

Yeah. They're both definitely retail products.

I think the recent Goldeneye re-release might qualify as you can either only get it if you have game pass or previously own rare replay. It isn't available as a standalone purcahse anywhere (to my recollection).

reksveks

Bleeding edge was the other one I was thinking of. Not available anywhere (outside of pc of course) I don't think it made it to retail either? Don't know. Don't care either but there's definitely been some shovel ware thrown on there. In addition to many great games. Again. I'm mostly agreeing.
It is on steam but not sure if they did a physical copy if that is what you mean by retail. not sure what happens if you try it on steam.

fatmarco

If it's a "bad" PC port then in the case of 3rd party games usually the performance on consoles is equally as poor but because the settings and resolution are turned down for those versions it's not as impactful.

Fine if you have no standards I guess.
I don't know, from what I just played it looks visually incredible so.

It's asset quality is incredible and its lighting is great. The level of detail at points is crazy, that gigantic parade section right at the start with what appears to be hundreds of machines marching etc.

But again I've played the game.

rXrCjQ8.jpg

MCtY24k.jpg

KAw5gKl.jpg

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Game runs perfectly on Series X so far but it could be a bad pc port, again. Really hope this game is given a fair shot lol.

It is annoying having reviewers only review games on Pc given how poor some recent ports have been. They should at least have a fallback system given that console versions, outside of cyberpunk, tend to be more polished.

Pc Master Race and their shader compilation issues again though hah.
On the plus side those have been getting patched out pretty quickly. In Calliso's case it was within 8 hours of release.

GHG

Gold Member

The question you have to ask with day one gamepass 3rd party releases is why would a developer or publisher accept a payment up front to compensate them for a reduction in release window sales on Xbox (and PC to a certain extent)? It doesn't suggest they are particularly confident in their product.

The same goes for situations where a payout is accepted to go Epic Game Store exclusive and entirely forgo sales on Steam and other storefronts. Companies who know they have an amazing product don't tend to accept those sorts of payments because they don't want to cap their earning potential for it.

With indies I can understand it to a certain extent because of the financial situation they might be in, but for AA/AAA studios? Nah, it's a red flag.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I don't know, from what I just played it looks visually incredible so.

It's asset quality is incredible and its lighting is great. The level of detail at points is crazy, that gigantic parade section right at the start with what appears to be hundreds of machines marching etc.

But again I've played the game.

rXrCjQ8.jpg

MCtY24k.jpg

KAw5gKl.jpg

Those screenshots look very soft. I'd be pretty confident in saying if you were to have the settings be equivalent on PC then the stuttering would be drastically reduced/non-existent, as has been the case with most games recently. But that's not what most people with ray tracing capable GPU's are interested in doing, and rightly so.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

If anyone knows me around here, I hate reviewers/critics/etc. as in I never rely on them, however I'm at work and Im bored and I watched skillups review and his complaints and they just not seem....valid...at all. Labyrinth-like levels? Hard puzzle mechanics? Different and unique biomes rather than same repetitive atmsophere? What the fuck are the complaints? These are huge pluses. I am now actually more inclined on buying the game than ever. Lack of FOV sucks ass tho, hopefully we can edit cfgs for it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
That happens pretty frequently for me.

I'll never forget The Ascent.

I think there's a good argument to be made for not having scores for games, tbh. Especially since 1-5 are basically not used in a 10 point scale.

A general vibe of positivity/negativity is arguably better, I say this as someone who used to only play 90+ rated games and was surprised that I managed to have fun when I picked up something rated 7/10.

...but I reserve the right to say this game is terrible tomorrow!

GHG

Gold Member
If anyone knows me around here, I hate reviewers/critics/etc. as in I never rely on them, however I'm at work and Im bored and I watched skillups review and his complaints and they just not seem....valid...at all. Labyrinth-like levels? Hard puzzle mechanics? Different and unique biomes rather than same repetitive atmsophere? What the fuck are the complaints? These are huge pluses. I am now actually more inclined on buying the game than ever. Lack of FOV sucks ass tho, hopefully we can edit cfgs for it.

Yeh the more I see the more I'm swaying towards grabbing it on the first decent keyshop sale rather than waiting for bargain bin prices. My gut feeling is that this is the type of game I'll enjoy, jank be damned.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

He's hit and miss, more miss than hit from my experience plus maybe he is just making excuses to review it poorly cause it's made by a Russian dev.

I was initially excited about this game (that boss battle trailer), but as they showed more I got less interested. It's started to look kinda samey throughout the game trailers and the damage sponge enemies are a huge turn off.

However.....it's on GP so I'll at least give it a shot.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Those screenshots look very soft. I'd be pretty confident in saying if you were to have the settings be equivalent on PC then the stuttering would be drastically reduced/non-existent, as has been the case with most games recently. But that's not what most people with ray tracing capable GPU's are interested in doing, and rightly so.

Oh for sure, I'm just saying that it looks great regardless. Like you certainly won't be getting an ugly game or a compromised experience if you drop some settings, regardless of whether you feel entitled to a superior experience due to your hardware etc.

Nautilus

Banned
People will try it on GP anyway. Eurogamer was rating High on Life a 3/10, and it turned out to be one of the largest GP games of all time. All they do is ruin the credibility of reviews if they turn out to be hugely inaccurate.

Guess we'll see when people start playing it.
Hopefully that's the case.And I suspect that's mundfish strategy too.

While not as big as Hogwarts Legacy, I've seen plenty of people wanting to boycott this game because of the war, just because they are russian devs.

I think the devs know this, and the solution to it is just make the normal people play.And what better insentive than giving it away for "free"? That way you bypass any activist reviewers, and the word of mouth gets going, wether its good or bad, because of the normal people playing through GP, which I suspect will be just a small fraction of the overall playerbase potential the game has.

SCB3

Some wildly mixed reviews here, and I cannot decide if its because of who made this, watching IGN's review now, I kinda like the look of this, very Bioshock meats Wolfenstein feeling here

Its on GP, so I pre loaded it on Xbox Series X, so I'll check it out once I'm done with a few other games (Hogwarts Legacy and Metroid Prime atm)

DW74

They sure are jumping up and down on Twitter about being against violence. Except they never say they aren't a Russian studio.

I remember when Kaspersky antivirus also had to assert their software was safe and that they were a global team based in Cyprus.

Probably a coincidence.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Oh right, Hifi Rush, thats right, thanks.
Is there more games? i would say high is anything above 85.
Didn't Chained Echoes released also day 1 on GP? That game looks cool and it reviewed fairly well.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
To be fair you're editing his comments a far bit here. He never said the puzzles were too hard or that there was to many unique biomes.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
To be fair you're editing his comments a far bit here. He never said the puzzles were too hard or that there was to many unique biomes.

I mean sure, he said that the different biomes do not work well with one another, like theres no connection between them, aka they feel chaotically designed unlike Prey that feels like a space station the entire game. I get it, but I still dont see how thats a bad thing. Variation is the spice of life. Ofc I'd have to play it to know mroe what his talking about, maybe theres something worse that Im just not seeing from the videos/screenshots. As for puzzles he said they were too long, which in my ears sounds a bit too hard. I dont see this 20 hour game having myth levels of puzzles long. I dunno, again, I'd have to play it. Also kinda of a weird flex to say you enjoyed the game but not recommend it lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom