• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

IKizzLE

Wouldn't this mean there are potentially hundreds to thousands of shifters inside the walls?

We haven't seen a single Titan this big besides the colossal titan, not to mention using the ability to petrify themselves.

I bet it has to do with the 9th and final non revealed titan shifter. His ability could be tied to the walled titans. Whether its self replication or something else.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
While I am "OK" with the explanations given so far, I was hoping that the world outside the walls was indeed devoid of humans let alone human civilization and that the Beast Titan was one of original titans or creators of titans some sort of new "sentient" Titan thus why he was able to speak, why can this Titan speak so eloquently while the others shifters can't?

Also, why would he think they'd even speak different languages? It's been just over a 100 years. I'm pretty sure that inhabitants of Edwardian England could read Georgian texts without much problem, and would have known that to be the case!

Honestly, the more I think it over, the more I think that there was a different original backstory, which got scrapped, and the current one was made up at the last minute to backwards fill the gaps. There's just too much stuff that doesn't cohere.

Erigu

yeah that part doesnt make sense. how can be there so many colossal sized titans ?
Historia's father made it sound like you could prepare specific "blends" of spinal fluid to get different types of mindless titans (or to give shifters new abilities, considering what happened when Eren ingested that "armor" liquid).
So I imagine you could use the colossal titan's spinal fluid to turn a bunch of people into colossal mindless titans. Then the king could use his power to have them create the walls.

Also, why would he think they'd even speak different languages?
He didn't? Read the scene again: he was expecting them to speak the same language, and merely began to doubt himself because Mike wasn't answering his question.

DarkKyo

I bet it has to do with the 9th and final non revealed titan shifter. His ability could be tied to the walled titans. Whether its self replication or something else.

There's actually two unrevealed titan shifters. We thought Galliard's titan form was a new one until it was revealed he devoured Ymir.

edit: Scratch that, I totally forgot Erin had two.

Joni

I'm guessing Eren will collect some more Titan powers over the series and become the new reincarnation of Ymir, eliminating all Titans out of existence.

DarkKyo

Is there a consensus in the community about where they may end season 2? Is the climax of the season likely to be the scene where Eren uses his Coordinate abilities and rejoins the scouts or would it be further along than that?

Can't wait for my gf(who doesn't read the manga) to think Erwin is toast for a minute lol

Qurupeke

Is there a consensus in the community about where they may end season 2? Is the climax of the season likely to be the scene where Eren uses his Coordinate abilities and rejoins the scouts or would it be further along than that?

Can't wait for my gf(who doesn't read the manga) to think Erwin is toast for a minute lol

Yeah, I'm sure it will end on Chapter 50.

jett

D-Member
I enjoy the anime purely on a visual level so I read me some spoilers about the nature of the titans, because frankly I care not for overly mysterious bullshit.

This shit is just fucking weird, huh.

kirblar

I enjoy the anime purely on a visual level so I read me some spoilers about the nature of the titans, because frankly I care not for overly mysterious bullshit.

This shit is just fucking weird, huh.
Once you get to the basement there's a gigantic flashback/infodump which is going to result in WTFWTFWTF confusion if you didn't follow along with the exposiiton and just came across tidbits randomly.

Cause it totaly caused WTFWTF confusion even just reading it normally. It's really dense.

Once the series turns into World War 1 and humans start inventing good boats and planes and Titans stop being the dominant military power shit gets super interesting

I really hope we get to the part where the scout legion get wrecked, just before Eren discovers his coordinate powers.

The scene where everything goes to shit and Hannes gets killed is going to be TENSE.

usp84

So i began reading the manga(i just couldn't ignore it anymore) and in chapter 46 Reiner and Bertholdt have Eren and Ymir up on the trees to rest and wait for the night.

Seems like Reiner has has a split personality now right?He still talks about like a normal soldier(getting a promotion from the commander,refering to the Titans as if it wasn't them etc)

Anyway i will keep reading i hope there are some answers soon(and them more questions of course!)

kirblar

So i began reading the manga(i just couldn't ignore it anymore) and in chapter 46 Reiner and Bertholdt have Eren and Ymir up on the trees to rest and wait for the night.

Seems like Reiner has has a split personality now right?He still talks about like a normal soldier(getting a promotion from the commander,refering to the Titans as if it wasn't them etc)

Anyway i will keep reading i hope there are some answers soon(and them more questions of course!)
Yup., Reiner has Dissociative Identity Disorder, since it turns out murdering a whole bunch of people as a kid causes massive psych issues!

Been a great season as far as the anime goes, but I don't think they can pull another 12 episode season after such a long break considering what's coming up next.

Kaberneri is still a thing right? If so, I don't see Season 3 happening until 2019 (but it'll be 2 cour)

Oh right, since the Jaw titan is such an extreme difference from Ymir's dancing form, it's safe to say that Ymir killed Reiner's friend way back when, right? Did that ever get looked at again?

J@hranimo

Banned
I can't wait for the next chapter.

I feel like Eren is going to infiltrate the Marley nation. Just seems like the next step as far as conflicts are concerned.

I can't wait for the next chapter.

I feel like Eren is going to infiltrate the Marley nation. Just seems like the next step as far as conflicts are concerned.

Yes that's the reason for the weird panel showing somebody way back following Reiner and wearing his armband on the wrong arm.

I called a while ago.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=235565629

I am going with the they infiltrated the mainland theory as well.

Been a great season as far as the anime goes, but I don't think they can pull another 12 episode season after such a long break considering what's coming up next.

Kaberneri is still a thing right? If so, I don't see Season 3 happening until 2019 (but it'll be 2 cour)

They could cover the Historian arc. Thinking about it I'm sure an increased focus on Levi will make up for the shift from Titans beyond the wall for anime viewers, especially with the decrease in Levi time this season.

They could also cover another arc from the battle Vs the beast Titan to the time skip. By then there will be 2 more years worth of chapters out!

I really hope they release subsequent seasons more regularly now. The popularity seems to have taken a huge hit given the 4 year gap, which is a shame. Hopefully word of mouth, given how fantastic this season has been, recaptures the excitement.

Also god damn can't wait to see Levi Vs the beast Titan animated.

DarkKyo

I was talking more whether they confronted her about it (which they do after this battle)

Also, didn't realize that was Galliard's brother. Small world.

You say small world but it was likely 100% intentional that the Jaws form was passed back to the same family. It's been shown that the Marley government grooms Eldian children to be candidates for inheriting the forms to fight for Marley. They have to show both merit and loyalty to be considered candidates. I'm sure Galliard was in the running anyways, but the fact that an Eldian on Paradis devoured his brother and stole their family's glory further solidified Galliard's drive, will, and loyalty to the point where it was no question he'd be getting his brother's lost power. It's also a personal thing because whoever gets the Jaws titan may be inheriting the memory of Marcel's death, so from both a sentimental and privacy standpoint Galliard makes sense as well(not that the Marley government cares about those things necessarily, but it still adds to why Galliard could have been considered more than others).

Ogodei

Discussing spoilers in the Toonami thread last night got me to reading this thread, since the last time i looked at manga spoilers was right when they were getting up to the Basement, and figured that it was going in kind of a Claymore direction lore-wise (which had been my guess pretty early on, because the Titans are obviously unnatural given that they eat compulsively but not out of biological need and seem perfectly designed to kill humans, aside from the Shifting).

Apparently the screws twisted around a few times since then, though. Ymir's royalty too now?

"Everyone was Kings" -Dolan.

kirblar

Shit, one of Hange's glass frames shatters in the S2 opening. They knew.

If this is really an infiltration arc, that would strongly imply that Annie has been flipped to Eren's side.

Shit, one of Hange's glass frames shatters in the S2 opening. They knew.

If this is really an infiltration arc, that would strongly imply that Annie has been flipped to Eren's side.

Annie + Eren OTP!

For real though, I really like they way they've built up the situation on the island. Really interested to see what's going on there (And I hope it's not the "everyone's already dead" route)

Ogodei

Looked up spoilers again after S2 E5 ended with Ymir all chewed up because i thought "i swear i heard she lived past that point" and looked at the AoT wiki and found out what happened to her. Damn. She could've been an actual queen.

But it appears that everyone (from the multiple countries) scrambling for control of the shifter powers is what's driving the plot now?

kirblar

Looked up spoilers again after S2 E5 ended with Ymir all chewed up because i thought "i swear i heard she lived past that point" and looked at the AoT wiki and found out what happened to her. Damn. She could've been an actual queen.

But it appears that everyone (from the multiple countries) scrambling for control of the shifter powers is what's driving the plot now?
We're actually not sure. Last few chapters have been Zeke/Reiner focused. (But we kinda suspect that Eren & co are about to give them a taste of their own medicine)

Joni

It looks like only Marley wants the shifters. The unknown other nations seem fine with killing Titans.

DarkKyo

still waiting for armin transformation. he is my favourite character

I also can not wait to see that. I think Armin's cute face on that disgusting, hulking body is going to be a really neat contrast.

Also, because titan form appearances are somewhat decided before they even inherit a shifting power(like how Ymir had the little demon witch form as a mindless and the shifter power merely added razor sharp teeth to that form), you can sort of imagine what Armin will look like(because we saw his mindless titan form). He's missing his nose and he has dark, empty eyes. Those missing features + the colossal aspect of being skinless is going to be pretty freaky because he's going to resemble a very badly burned person(which could be intended on the part of Isayama to remind readers of his grisly brush with death).

Does Mikasa ever get any real character development? My anime-only friend asked me that yesterday and I said I wouldn't answer that, but thinking about it, I can't really remember if she does or not.

DarkKyo

How are you able to make out any facial features there? It's zoomed out and his face is shrouded in steam because it's intentionally being left vague until that form is given center stage for the first time.

If that's a true depiction of Armin and not just what Zeke is imagining a new inheritor of the Colossal form could look like, then all we can gleam is that he has different anatomical proportions than Bert's Colossal form.

Discussing spoilers in the Toonami thread last night got me to reading this thread, since the last time i looked at manga spoilers was right when they were getting up to the Basement, and figured that it was going in kind of a Claymore direction lore-wise (which had been my guess pretty early on, because the Titans are obviously unnatural given that they eat compulsively but not out of biological need and seem perfectly designed to kill humans, aside from the Shifting).

Apparently the screws twisted around a few times since then, though. Ymir's royalty too now?

"Everyone was Kings" -Dolan.

Nope, Ymir is a nobody that was named Ymir. The real Ymir is indeed royal but, has been dead for a looooong time. Fake Ymir was just a homeless orphan taken in by a cult who named her Ymir and worshipped her.

That talking titan? One of cultists who ratted her out to the Police and got her sent to Paradis.

No, she never could have been a Queen. She was literally just a nobody. Her death was sad. She looked so defeated and just ready to end her miserable existence.

Top Bottom