• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attention to all DriveClub Fans

CyberPanda

Banned
tRIeHuq.png

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/legal/gameservers/

What's the point of paying for online if first party games servers are shut down. I understand with third party, but that's not right at all
It doesn't make sense whatsoever because they can just spin up servers on demand. Forza Horizon 2's servers still work and that game reached EOL last year.

Cattlyst

Had a look how many people were playing online a few weeks back and there weren't many. Maybe it was just that particular day, but it was way quieter than it used to be back in the day. Driveclub is an outstanding racer though, the only game I've had since the day I got my PS4 and never got rid of. Playing offline is still great fun.

How ?
Bots?

Also stop buying online focused games people ffs

Last time I checked BLOPS had hundreds of players, MW3 also still populated but not many players, I still casually play with my friend.

Couldn't agree more, the industry is turning into GaaS.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

WHAT? What the fuck Sony? :( It's stuff like this that makes we want to stop paying for PS+. There are still people playing the games and they'll lose A LOT of their appeal from not having multiplayer components. I'll think twice before spending my money on another Sony game with multiplayer modes.

Last edited:

Ridaxan

Not unexpected. I don't think there's a lot of people playing it anyway. I deleted it a couple of months ago and haven't bothered to redownload it.

It was fun when it was fully patched and the Bikes expansion was a fun alternative experience as well. Sadly by the time these things were sorted out the community had moved on.

meirl

Banned
Shame but oh well we at least got another year to go. Such an awesome game,30fps that felt like 60fps, no game did better sense of speed. Music was awesome, no free roam.... we t was basically a modern Need For Speed from the late 1990s.

LOL 30 FPS that feels like 60 fps? Haha is this a joke post?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
LOL 30 FPS that feels like 60 fps? Haha is this a joke post?

Nope, the game was really smooth, had the best dynamic weather implementation I have seen to date, felt good to drive in, dynamic environment lighting, crazy detailed cars (in addition to touches like brakes heating up, light refraction in headlights, etc...), and kick ass scenery.

Kagey K

Banned
Thing like this, are why Sony won’t have the same digital future as their competitors.

People like to say Sony will support a project as long as possible, but things like this show they will cut them off at the knees eventually.

Fox Mulder

Surprised it lasted this long anyways. Sony loves to shut down servers, the studio is dead, and even MS delists Forza games faster due to licensing.

Driveclub is still my favorite racing game this gen. It was actually challenging going for the medals and completing the campaign. You don't even have to win races in Forza Horizon anymore. Horrible that Sony doesn't have shit to replace this.

Weird how this game has a weird small dedicated fan base. What Sony should really do is spice up Polyphony Digital. They should be the GTA of racing games. Arcade and simulation game modes in one.

KellyNole

I still don’t get why more companies don’t offer self hosting for games. Users can pay for theses services as they want them. It’s how pc gaming has kept games alive for decades.

LostDonkey

Can you still get the platinum offline?

Ive been chipping away at the game forever now but ill stop if theres no chance without online.

Fox Mulder

Can you still get the platinum offline?

Ive been chipping away at the game forever now but ill stop if theres no chance without online.

There are a couple online trophies for various things. Like joining a club or sending a player challenges. The Bikes expansion has a trophy that requires playing in an online race.

Easy stuff and it doesn't get shut off until March 31st 2020 though.

ZywyPL

Banned
Quo vadis Sony? Shame, I'm planning to get the PS4 somewhere in the future to play it's exclusives, but turns out I won't be able to even buy the game for the single player. Wonder if/how many more games will receive such treatment? #4theplayers

xrnzaaas

There are a couple online trophies for various things. Like joining a club or sending a player challenges. The Bikes expansion has a trophy that requires playing in an online race.

Easy stuff and it doesn't get shut off until March 31st 2020 though.
To be fair some online trophies are already hard to get if you don't find enough friends or generally other players to play with. I have a friend who's constantly bugging me to reinstall the game and help him do the challenge trophy. ;)

Tarkus98

Fuck. Just fuck. I still play this racer. Excellent game. They better extend this or come out with an equally good racer start of next gen. Fuck.

Fox Mulder

The challenge trophy can also just be done by yourself with a second account if you really have to. The servers would have to be up though.

The Bikes expansion has a trophy for saving a replay after you get a podium in a full lobby or whatever. The online population is dead and it'll kick you out to a regular Driveclub lobby where more people do play. You can get the Bikes trophy in a car instead.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Guess this was nothing but a placeholder for a racing game untill Gran Turismo Sport showed up in Sony's eyes. Too bad. I wonder if that game could run at 60fps in PS4 Pro if Sony had really put effort into enhancing it.

Fbh

-Price Increase to $60
- Less games with Ps+
- Online support for exclusive games gets dropped.
Man, Ps+ just keeps getting better !!!! #4theplayers

The good thing here is that I have yet to pick up the season pass so I hope they make it really cheap now

Never understood why people liked it so much. "30fps that felt like 60", what? In which world did Driveclub feel smooth? Not the driveclub I played at least.

I'm not a racing fan and I picked this up on sale and really liked it.
I enjoyed the handling which wasn't extremely arcadey and over the top like need for speed but also wasn't too realistic.
The visuals honestly still look amazing
I really liked all of the tracks. With the genre shifting more and more towards open worlds I really liked how this takes you all over the world. I also like that it feels more like racing on regular streets than actual racing tracks.

Three

Thing like this, are why Sony won’t have the same digital future as their competitors.

People like to say Sony will support a project as long as possible, but things like this show they will cut them off at the knees eventually.

They supported it for 7 years. How long were the project spark servers up? 3years? I know this sucks but it's such a bullshit narrative to try and suggest Sony don't support a project for a game that you probably haven't even turned on to play for years.

Nonetheless this still sucks and I wish they were kept on. If nothing else I hope this year will see a boost to online players before it ends next year.

Fox Mulder

-Price Increase to $60
- Less games with Ps+
- Online support for exclusive games gets dropped.
Man, Ps+ just keeps getting better !!!! #4theplayers

The good thing here is that I have yet to pick up the season pass so I hope they make it really cheap now

I'm not a racing fan and I picked this up on sale and really liked it.
I enjoyed the handling which wasn't extremely arcadey and over the top like need for speed but also wasn't too realistic.
The visuals honestly still look amazing
I really liked all of the tracks. With the genre shifting more and more towards open worlds I really liked how this takes you all over the world. I also like that it feels more like racing on regular streets than actual racing tracks.

I loved the campaign structure. Going for all the medals was fun and challenging. That's really lacking for me this generation as the genre has shrunk down to so few games.

Forza Horizon has cheating AI and doesn't even require you to win anything to progress. It's just not fun or challenging for me since the first one really.

xrnzaaas

I loved the campaign structure. Going for all the medals was fun and challenging. That's really lacking for me this generation as the genre has shrunk down to so few games.

Forza Horizon has cheating AI and doesn't even require you to win anything to progress. It's just not fun or challenging for me since the first one really.
Yep, same here, Onrush from the resurrected (and now dead again) Evo has a similar career mode structure. It's a shame that the Onrush's career mode is much shorter.

Rayderism

OK, so the online servers are going down, but why completely delist the game? Just adjust the description to say that the online side no longer functions. Maybe even just make a complete edition with all DLC and just keep selling it. I mean, this game is generally considered one of the best racers this gen by many people, seems a travesty to delist it. As I understand it, the weather effects alone are still the best ever seen in a racing game so far.

Could the delisting have anything to do with licensed vehicles? Maybe some agreement made when the dev was shut down? I just don't understand why they would delist the entire game just because the online side ends. I know a lot of people care about trophies, but I only care about playing fun games. Future Playstation owners should not be denied the marvel of this game.

Shmunter

OK, so the online servers are going down, but why completely delist the game? Just adjust the description to say that the online side no longer functions. Maybe even just make a complete edition with all DLC and just keep selling it. I mean, this game is generally considered one of the best racers this gen by many people, seems a travesty to delist it. As I understand it, the weather effects alone are still the best ever seen in a racing game so far.

Could the delisting have anything to do with licensed vehicles? Maybe some agreement made when the dev was shut down? I just don't understand why they would delist the entire game just because the online side ends. I know a lot of people care about trophies, but I only care about playing fun games. Future Playstation owners should not be denied the marvel of this game.
Even give it away on ps plus. Instant audience, potential to sell dlc.

There goes any hope of ps5 enchanting the game to 60/4k

thelastword

Banned
Even give it away on ps plus. Instant audience, potential to sell dlc.

There goes any hope of ps5 enchanting the game to 60/4k
They could still remaster it for next gen.....4k 60fps, launch title....Too bad it's shutting down, but I really hope the people saying they're disappointed are not the persons who were shitting on driveclub all this time and saying it was no good....There's still time to get the online trophies for those who haven't.....It's funny that everytime a game is being shutdown, it's when it's the most important game......

Top Bottom