• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s Software Usage Terms forbid resale of physical games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

1. Resale
7.1. You must not resell either disc-based games or digital games, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
this is an old usage terms? people have been reselling their physical disc long time ago

acm2000

pretty sure this is probably in most consoles TOS, license non transferable blah blah nonsense.

having said that someone go search microsofts TOS and find something similar and the thread will hit 1000 pages in 5 minutes flat :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nvzman

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

1. Resale
7.1. You must not resell either disc-based games or digital games, unless expressly authorised by us and, if the publisher is another company, additionally by the publisher.

Do you guys just bait this shit out or are you actually intentionally being dense?
240.jpg

This shit has been in the industry for FOREVER. The thing is nobody actually enforces it (and rightfully so) because its a legal battle waiting to happen if they did.
GameStop has sold used games for like 20+ years, use your brain for a minute to realize how utterly meaningless this is to bring up.

Banjo64

cumsessed
pretty sure this is probably in most consoles TOS, license non transferable blah blah nonsense.

having said that someone go search microsofts TOS and find something similar and the thread will hit 1000 pages in 5 minutes flat :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Holllly shit M$ won’t even let me gift one of their games for Xmas!

g) share, publish, distribute, or lease the software, provide the software as a stand-alone offering for others to use, or transfer the software or this agreement to any third party.
Do you guys just bait this shit out or are you actually intentionally being dense?
240.jpg

This shit has been in the industry for FOREVER. The thing is nobody actually enforces it (and rightfully so) because its a legal battle waiting to happen if they did.
GameStop has sold used games for like 20+ years, use your brain for a minute to realize how utterly meaningless this is to bring up.
Dunno what you mean sorry. Never heard of Game Stop. Is that Sony’s enforcement team?

Aenima

Slow news day? Thats not new.

In my country every game comes with a seal in the box with the copy and registration number on it, to sell it legally even in second hand the game must come with that seal.
Sony cant do nothing to prevent the sales of used physical games, other than some kind of digital DRM. By law in my country you are alowed to resell your used physical games as long as they have that seal in it. The seal prevents the renting of the game, but not the sale. Even if in the box is printed in english that the game cant be resold or rented without Sony authorisation.

The seal is that stripe on top of the box.
image;s=3024x4032

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
C'mon man, this thing has been around for ages. Eg the back of my Dragon Age Origins PS3 case:

Says similar on PS2 games. My Xbox games just say no copying etc., not resale though. But the resale clause is moot because it's never been enforced nor ever will be.

nial

240.jpg

I mean, I know Banjo64 Banjo64 is a hardcore Nintendo fan, but not the point of trying to spread FUD about others...
(3)You may not use the Software for commercial purpose.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This isn't new. This has been around forever and never been enforced, nor will it ever be.

Wrap it up, people. We're done here.

ManaByte

Gold Member
240.jpg

That "NOT FOR RESALE" copy of Sonic was a pack-in game and there's no UPC on the back of the box, meaning a retailer cannot scan it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom