• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile Options For PS5 - Headphones, DAC, Etc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know it don't work this way but at least try and save your lives from pain and misery and at least try pulse 3d :p cheap, wireless, great sound.
Plugging stuff into controller is not bad either.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I was and audiophile once and my life is a bit easier now and cable free :p

Last edited:
No but around launch the soundblasters were all coming in low when using usb. The workaround was the same as anything legacy. Using optical for sound and usb for mic
Workaround how? The PS5 has no noptical output. I'm currently using the Sharkoon Gaming Dac pro. The Problem is you can't adjust the volume in console.

FrankWza

Workaround how? The PS5 has no noptical output. I'm currently using the Sharkoon Gaming Dac pro. The Problem is you can't adjust the volume in console.
USB to spdif. You can get a usb splitter if you don’t want to occupy more than one rear port but you might have to try a couple. Otherwise a usb to spdif in one port and the mic in the other usb. Also gives you mixing capabilities back
Edit:
Also, this allows you to keep full 2.1 capabilities intact. Unlike something like the Astro adapter and it gives you the tempest or mixamp Vss

Last edited:

Jebron

Question for anyone using wired headphones/mic for PS5:

I'm using my SHP9500's connected to my DualSense. I love the SHP's and have had them for years, but connected to the DualSense both the headphones and mic sound awful (in comparison to when I use my DAC). I've been looking at the Schiit HEL 2, but I'm curious what others are using. Does anyone have a decent DAC/AMP setup they're using with the PS5? While my SHP9500's aren't hard to drive, I'm worried the G6 doesn't really have enough power while only using the USB port on the PS5.

Bonus points: Anyone using an DAC/AMP that connects to Series X, PS5, and PC all at the same time while not sacrificing 120hz (PC optical, consoles USB)?

FrankWza

I'm using my SHP9500's connected to my DualSense. I love the SHP's and have had them for years, but connected to the DualSense both the headphones and mic sound awful (in comparison to when I use my DAC). I've been looking at the Schiit HEL 2, but I'm curious what others are using. Does anyone have a decent DAC/AMP setup they're using with the PS5? While my SHP9500's aren't hard to drive, I'm worried the G6 doesn't really have enough power while only using the USB port on the PS5.

Bonus points: Anyone using an DAC/AMP that connects to Series X, PS5, and PC all at the same time while not sacrificing 120hz (PC optical, consoles USB)?
I may have replied to you once before about this. But right now the only way to get what you’re looking for is to use a usb to spdif adapter and use optical on your g6. You’ll be using 2 USB ports but it’s possible a splitter may work so you only need one and can connect mics usb and usb to spdif to splitter.

Jebron

I may have replied to you once before about this. But right now the only way to get what you’re looking for is to use a usb to spdif adapter and use optical on your g6. You’ll be using 2 USB ports but it’s possible a splitter may work so you only need one and can connect mics usb and usb to spdif to splitter.
Damn, that's not ideal. So disappointed with MS and Sony for the lack of an optical audio port, especially with them both not supporting UAC2.

Reactions: RNG

FrankWza

Damn, that's not ideal. So disappointed with MS and Sony for the lack of an optical audio port, especially with them both not supporting UAC2.
It’s actually really good. You get to switch between tempest or your dac vss on the fly. And you get chat mix back if your amp supports it. Plus you can still have all the specs of hdmi 2.1. The adapter is only $20-$25
Edit: also the volume is much louder and not limited by USB

Last edited:

Jebron

It’s actually really good. You get to switch between tempest or your dac vss on the fly. And you get chat mix back if your amp supports it. Plus you can still have all the specs of hdmi 2.1. The adapter is only $20-$25
Edit: also the volume is much louder and not limited by USB
Interesting, can you link the adapter? And do you use the G6? I have the AE-7 but need a DAC/AMP for the Series X and PS5.

FrankWza

Interesting, can you link the adapter? And do you use the G6? I have the AE-7 but need a DAC/AMP for the Series X and PS5.
I don’t use the G6 so I’m not 100% this will work with it but it works for my amp. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work but just a heads up.

Edit: 3rd most recent review says they have it connected to a fiio so I’m assuming it will work with anything.

Last edited:

I'm using the Sharkoon Gaming Dac Pro S.
Problem you can't adjust the volume on consoles only on PC.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Klik

I had Hyper X headset and i bought 3D Pulse for PS5. I thought i made a mistake until i heard how much you can hear footsteps 3d audio. Its incredible, and thats even in games that are not Tempest PS5 compatible

Anyone have the Beyerdynamic 990's? Looking for a relatively inexpensive set of open headphones that are able to be driven by the controller so I can enable 3d sound

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I had Hyper X headset and i bought 3D Pulse for PS5. I thought i made a mistake until i heard how much you can hear footsteps 3d audio. Its incredible, and thats even in games that are not Tempest PS5 compatible
Yeah exactly. Pulse 3d is really surprising.
Try it on pc. That dongle works no problems. Tell me how you think music sounds

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Anyone have the Beyerdynamic 990's? Looking for a relatively inexpensive set of open headphones that are able to be driven by the controller so I can enable 3d sound
I have 770 80 Ohm hooked up through mixamp. Delivers beautiful sound. I'm not sure if the controller output can drive 80 Ohm tho'. DT770 32 Ohm might be a better fit.

I actually just purchased the X2Hr's on Amazon like an hour ago. Should be here tomorrow. Read a lot of positive comments about them when I did a search on the PS5 subreddit
Same here man; did a lot of research and they popped up again and again. They are also easy to run which is a big plus as we will be using it with the DS. For me, this review sold it lol:

DonF

Question for those who know.

I own the OG gold headset and I feel it sounds kinda off on ps5, like it lacks actual surround sound.

I also own the xm3s, should this headset sound better on the dualsense than the golds via dongle?

yeah the dongle works with PC no issues. And for xbox or switch, there is a cable.
How do you find it compared to astro ?
I chose to buy the pulse over the adapter. Even though its higher priced.
I got this one for PS4, it was pretty good.
I just ordered X2Hrs + vModa Pro to use with Ps5 via the dualsense. Wonder how it will sound like; any one using x2hrs? How are they?
I bought them (Previous model 300$) 5 years ago for my PS4. Ultimately werent very impressive. I think they are better for music than gaming on console. Probably needs a amp. Or the fact Audio was coming from the controller plug didnt help.

Think its between these headsets for PS5.

I settled on the Pulse since it has 3d audio.

I chose to buy the pulse over the adapter. Even though its higher priced.
I got this one for PS4, it was pretty good.

I bought them (Previous model 300$) 5 years ago for my PS4. Ultimately werent very impressive. I think they are better for music than gaming on console. Probably needs a amp. Or the fact Audio was coming from the controller plug didnt help.

Think its between these headsets for PS5.

I settled on the Pulse since it has 3d audio.
I got the X2HRs for $105 + $30 vModa Boom Pro mic. I guess they are a good deal at this price point?

Also, 3d audio is not dependent on the headset, its processed by the PS5 itself so you dont need any sort of special headset for 3d audio. I went for open backs since ive never used them and heard that sound better than closed back ones, esp more sound differentiation due to wider soundstage. I guess I will see when I try them out.

Top Bottom