• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

audiophiles i need you! (bookshelf speakers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

i can get a good deal on polk audio speakers through work and a family member has asked me to get him 2 bookshelf speakers. obviously the higher the price the better the quality but i just want to know which speakers offer the best value. going for the best isnt worth it if its only slightly better than the 2nd or 3rd highest priced speakers.

here are the choices:

Monitor 30 (MSRP $115.99 each)
monitor30.jpg

Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 1 - 5-1/4" Diameter (13.34cm)
Dynamic Balance Bi-laminate composite cone driver, magnetically sheilded
Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter (2.54cm)
Dynamic Balance Silk/polymer composite dome, magnetically shielded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 55Hz - 25kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 63Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 24kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 -100 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB
Crossover 2.3kHz, second order high and low pass
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) 5 way binding posts

Monitor 40 (MSRP $174.99 each)
monitor40.jpg

Mid/Woofer 2 - 5-1/4" Diameter (13.34cm)
Dynamic Balance Bi-laminate composite cone driver, magnetically sheilded
Dynamic Balance Silk/polymer composite dome, magnetically shielded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 47Hz - 25kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 57Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 24kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 125 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB
Crossover 2.3kHz, second order high and low pass
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) 5-way binding posts

RTi 4 (MSRP $159.99)
rti4.jpg

Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 1 - 5-1/4" Diameter (13.34cm)
Polymer Composite Dynamic Balance Cone with Rubber Surrounds
Silk/Polymer composite dome

Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 50Hz-27kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 60Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-125 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB
Crossover 1.9kHz, 12dB/octave high and low pass
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) gold plated 5-way binding posts

RTi6 (MSRP $229.99 each)
rti6.jpg

Driver Complement
Mid/Woofer 1 - 6-1/2" Diameter (16.51cm)
Polymer Composite Dynamic Balance Cone with Rubber Surrounds
Silk/Polymer composite dome

Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 40Hz-27kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 50Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-125 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB
Crossover 2.8kHz, 12dB/octave high and low pass
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) gold plated 5-way binding posts

money is no object but just because the price doesnt matter doesnt mean the most expensive are the best bet. the most expensive might be overkill and even the cheapest might be adequate. again, this is limited to these 4 speakers only.

also, a pair of any of these speakers will be the only speakers in the system...no sub. i want to know if these speakers will do the job. hes looking for some bass but obviously nothing special.

thanks for any help.

If there's going to be no sub, get the RTi6's, which have the lowest freq. response. Run those through a decent receiver and you will get some decent bass. Not thundering by any means, but it will fill out the bottom end of music fairly nicely.

Dilbert

http://www.avsforum.com

Why not ask there?

Also, I agree with Error Macro -- the big consideration should be which one can reproduce bass the best, since without a sub, bookshelf speakers will struggle. The question is how good the reproduction will have to be, given the quality of the source signal.

What kind of receiver will be driving those speakers? Does he listen to CDs or MP3s, and if the latter, how good is the encoding?

I would heartily recommend the Infinity Primus 150s. They rock. You can get a pair for $170 at most places.

The final frontier
I'm tried to avoid writing another Bob Reina foaming-at-the-mouth rave about yet another new benchmark on the affordable speaker front. Oh, what the hell. Sure, a speaker the size and price of the Infinity Primus 150 can't be expected to excel in the areas of bass extension and high-level dynamics, but its shortcomings in this area did not detract one iota from my musical enjoyment. The Primus 150 has achieved a standard of performance at the $200-or-under price point that I didn't think was possible. Moreover, in the area of its greatest strength, its midrange detail and low-level dynamic resolution, it sounded like a $1000/pair speaker. I can't wait to hear what a larger, more expensive speaker in the Primus line sounds like. Infinity, I apologize for staying away so long

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/404infinity/index1.html

30589014-2-300-overview-1.gif

I know these aren't Polks, but they are so cheap and so good, I thought I would mention them. You can probably get them for as cheap or almost as cheap as those Polks, and I think these sound better.

GXAlan

If you can really get Polk cheap, see if your source can get refurbished LSi7's. I've seen them go for $400 on ebay (which isn't too far from the $300 of your Monitor 40).

They are leagues beyond the standard Polk speakers and features the Vifa Ring Tweeter. It is worth saving up the extra cash for it. The Polk LSi7 demands a good amplifier though. In terms of overall presentation, I think it's superior to the Paradigm Reference Studio 20. Compared to a Nautilus 805, the Polk has a better high-end with incredible detail that's non-fatiguing, although the B&W has a more neutral midrange. The Nautilus is "better overall" but you feel like you're missing out on the Polk's high-end. You really have to go to the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors to feel like you're getting a superb leap in quality.

So that's my recommendation. If you get the basic Polks, you'll see the Lsi7 or 9 as the next upgrade that's "unquestionably better" thing you'll save up for, but you'll be down $300 from the original speakers. If you wait and save up for the Polk LSi7, you'll see that you'll need to spend $4k to get something that's unquestionably better, and then you'll realize that $4k is too much money and you'll never need to upgrade your speakers again.

The LSi7's do require a lot of power to sound good though. Fortunately, with the money you save on going with the LSi7 instead of the other speakers I've mentioned, it's not that big of a problem.

Synthetic

Banned
GXAlan said:
Dynaudio > Tannoy, but as the original poster indicated, he only can get Polk audio cheap, and #2, those are out of his budget.

Polk is ok..... but nothing spectaculair.

How about Cerwin Vega ?

joe250

I would check out the Athena line as well - specifically the B1's or the larger B2's. You can find some great deals at Best Buy right now if you look hard enough.

They are a favorite at avsforum.com - many think they are a 'best bang for the buck' for bookshelf speakers.

GXAlan

Synthetic said:
Polk is ok..... but nothing spectaculair.

How about Cerwin Vega ?

Dude, have you listened to the Polk LSi7 speakers? They're not regular Polk's. They're closer to the heritage of the Polk SRT. Cerwin Vega's suck for critical listening -- they're just good for being loud and highly efficient.

The LSi7's hold their own against audiophile mini monitors from B&W, Dynaudio, and Sonus Faber. The disadvantage of the Polk LSi7 is that they are 4 ohm speakers with 88db/W/m efficiency and steep crossovers. For best results, you need a high-current amplifier. That's the reason they don't sell well -- stores like Fry's will demo them using budget receivers.

Synthetic

Banned
Dude, have you listened to the Polk LSi7 speakers?

Indeed i have, and i wasnt realy impressed.
Could have been the input signal, or the amp they were connected too, but it didnt impress me a whole lot.
Im more than happy with my Tannoy System 800's.
But once i relocate im gonna get me some Genelec's.

GXAlan

Synthetic said:
Indeed i have, and i wasnt realy impressed.
Could have been the input signal, or the amp they were connected too, but it didnt impress me a whole lot.
Im more than happy with my Tannoy System 800's.
But once i relocate im gonna get me some Genelec's.

How can you even put the LSi7's and Cerwin Vega's in the same class?!?

Do you remember what kind of amp? You just need a good beefy amp to power the LSi7's -- they're bookshelves to maximize imaging performance, not to save money or space. Since they're 4 ohms and relatively inefficient, you need real high-current power. As a comparison, your Tannoy's are 8 ohm, 92 dB/W. (Polk is 4 ohm/88 db/W).

The difference between 92db/W and 88db/W is that you need 2.5x the power to reach the same volume. That is to say that a 60W into 8 ohm amp into your Tannoy's can reach the same volume as a 150W into 4 ohm amp going into a Polk LSi7...

Not many amplifiers can do 150W into 4 without strain. A crystal clear 60W into 8 ohms for your Tannoy can be done with a 100W receiver. A 100W receiver such as the $800 AVR-2805 has its limit at ~140W into 4 ohms and if you use the same 40% factor, that's only 85 watts of crystal-clear 4 ohm audio.

At 85W in 88db/W, that would be the same as if you had 35W going into your 92 dB efficient Tannoy's.

So who buys the LSi7? It's if you'd rather get nice speakers once and work your way and upgrade to better amps. It makes sense because used amps are cheap on ebay and don't go obsolete quickly... Suppose you were going to buy $2000/pair Nautilus 805's and a $800 AVR-2805. You'd get better performance going with a $800/pair LSi7 and a $1500 amp. You still save $500 when all is said and done.

Edit: I probably overestimated the AVR-2805's performance too. It's 100W into 8 ohms is 20Hz-20kHz at 0.05% THD. Into 6 ohms, it only reaches 135W at 1 KHz only and at 0.70% THD. With regular receivers, the LSi7's won't sound better than those other Polk speakers.

Synthetic

Banned
I wasnt comparing them in any way....
i was suggesting a good speaker for about the same kinda money that limits Joe's budget.

GXAlan

Synthetic said:
I wasnt comparing them in any way....
i was suggesting a good speaker for about the same kinda money that limits Joe's budget.

Ahh, that makes much more sense. I interpreted it as you saying "Polk is OK but nothing spectacular. For something spectacular, how about Cerwin Vega?"

So we're actually on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom