• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiosurf: Indie music game that works with your music files (free download)

Well, this is the first and last time 'Do You Hear The People Sing' will be in a music game :lol

edit: The Go Team. Blimey those are insane.

JonathanEx said:
Brilliant game. Pity about the limit.

Hope this comes to Steam/XBL/Any delivery service like that.
If it were to appear on consoles I doubt they would let you put your own .mp3s, song DLC for everyone. Actually maybe Apple would get behind this and fuse itunes for the 360 with it.

Prime crotch said:
If it were to appear on consoles I doubt they would let you put your own .mp3s, song DLC for everyone. Actually mayeb Apple would get behind this and fuse itunes for the 360 with this.

Yeah, Apple and Microsoft hand in hand!

I don't think there's any technical hitch to stop you having your own music on console versions, just publishers/console owners going ">: (". And if it for some reason becomes "dlc or no release", I get the feeling it'd be "no release"

JonathanEx said:
I don't think there's any technical hitch to stop you having your own music on console versions, just publishers/console owners going ">: (". And if it for some reason becomes "dlc or no release", I get the feeling it'd be "no release"
Technical doesn't matter, it's all about publishers and the music rights problems it could lead to. But more importantly the chance of making some serious buck with some kind of itunes for it.

There's no uploading of the tracks anywhere, just the names of them: so I don't think there's (m)any rights issues. I think it would depend on what publisher went to them in order to get it on the console.

Firehead

Prime crotch said:
If it were to appear on consoles I doubt they would let you put your own .mp3s, song DLC for everyone. Actually maybe Apple would get behind this and fuse itunes for the 360 with it.
E4 has a feature that allows you to use your .mp3s, would this not work just about the same way?

Jenga

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
Yeah a handheld version of this would be epic win.

(homebrew PSP release guys, imagine the awesome)
Doubt it. I'd honestly expect an Audiosurf+ (N+ for reference) or something of the sort.

Firehead said:
E4 has a feature that allows you to use your .mp3s, would this not work just about the same way?
On a game where the mp3s are your racing tracks I doubt it, they would want to make money out of it.

Onemic

Wow, this game is amazing. Please, please, please port this to XBLA!!!

Even though I game more on my PC I can see me playing this game a whole lot more frequently on my 360 than my PC for some odd reason.

username: onemic

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Audiosurf Beta Weekend 2 - Play Now!

Here's some of the bigger changes since the last beta:
-Mono Pro added
-Ninja Mono and Pro Mono can jump
-Pointman Elite can use the shoulder and can scoop 4 blocks into a queue for later
-Antialising is now in the options
-The song selector's text can be made smaller
-Freeride now displays the percentage of traffic hit
-Maximum song length increased to 25 minutes
-When collected, blocks become hollow so they don't block your view when flying up to the top
-More tracks have corkscrews

trying to download but it is SO SLOW, about 10 KB/s :(

dude

dude
trh said:
trying to download but it is SO SLOW, about 10 KB/s :(
Where are you downloading it from? their site makes no sense Oo
EDIT: Am I doing it wrong? this is all I see in their site, and I can't make any sense of it.

Drakken

Man, this won't run properly on my computer. The audio (and thus game speed) is severely slowed down/stuttery, which makes it pretty much impossible to play. Also, when I scroll over stuff in the menu or hear the person talking in the tutorial, the sound comes through static-y. Weird. The menu music seemed to run fine when I clicked out of the window (and thus had it in the background), but once I clicked back into the window to bring it up, it started chugging again.

I don't think memory/video card is the issue. I have a 2.41 GHz Pentium 4 with 768 MB of RAM and an ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 card. My brother has a 3 GHz computer with only 256 MB RAM and an ATI Radeon 9200 card, and it works fine on his.

Could it perhaps be the sound card that's affecting the performance? For what it's worth, I got the same static-y effect when sounds played in Gametap's menus. I have a SB Live!, I believe.

I just really, really want to play this. :(

trh

dude said:
Where are you downloading it from? their site makes no sense Oo
Am I doing it wrong, this is all I see in their site, and I can't make any sense of it.
your host file have been altered by the hack you installed so it'll go to the hackers site, you need to into C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc, open up the host file in notepad and remove any lines that has audio-surf.com in it.

dude

dude
trh said:
your host file have been altered by the hack you installed so it'll go to the hackers site, you need to into C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc, open up the host file in notepad and remove any lines that has audio-surf.com in it.
Thanks!
Maybe this new beta will make the game work for me:<

pn18

Banned
As much as I love the mechanics of this game, I don't think the gameplay is as good as it could be. I can't say what it is, but it doesn't feel right. :(

Tain

It needs better audio/visual cues as to when important things are happening. Having a weak little vanilla meter to recharge your greybomb in Ninja Elite doesn't cut it. There should be a line on the track telling exactly where you'll collide with the blocks. That sort of thing.

It's not unplayable, just more annoying than it needs to be. Could be fantastic.

trh

Teknopathetic said:
I'm not sure if that's kosher, holmes.
figured it wasn't worse than hacks that lets you bypass the beta time, but let me know if i should take it down

Agent X

I haven't tried the game yet, but the videos are very interesting. It looked somewhat like a Frequency/Amplitude type game, but with colored block catching and matching like Klax.

I'll have to download this and try it. Have they decided how much the final game will cost yet?

PacoDG

Teknopathetic said:
Playing this game with Squarepusher is something else.

I was going to mention Aphex Twin, but maybe that is too spazzed out and Squarepusher would be a better choice.

Cool looking game, video reminded me of Astropop mixed with a Guitar Hero look, but the game itself, looks like I will have to download away to really see if it is as good as it looks.

"figured it wasn't worse than hacks that lets you bypass the beta time, but let me know if i should take it down"

Yeah, those aren't particularly kosher either, good point.

Doytch

This is a really fun game and I hate GAF for bringing it to my attention on this weekend when I need to get a bunch of crap done.

(Queens of the Stone Age are incredible for this) :D :D

jman2050

Teknopathetic said:
"figured it wasn't worse than hacks that lets you bypass the beta time, but let me know if i should take it down"

Yeah, those aren't particularly kosher either, good point.

From what I've seen, stuff like audio surfboard and the other workarounds shouldn't be a problem legally. All Audio surfboard does is reroute the addresses/IP Audiosurf connects via he hosts file to a local server, which provides the commands needed to run the program. A similar process goes into connecting to custom servers, which were created via reverse-engineering, by modifying the hosts file to reroute the addresses to the custom server's IP. As far as those two methods go, NO modification of the program is taking place and, unless I missed something, there's no license expressly forbidding any of this. The only non-kosher part I know of is the patch that's been floating around, but links to that have been eliminated on most forums I've been to.

pn18 said:
As much as I love the mechanics of this game, I don't think the gameplay is as good as it could be. I can't say what it is, but it doesn't feel right. :(

I'd say better audio feedback would be nice.

Damn, Holy Orders is hard. :lol

bounchfx

dammit, I got the beta 2 and installed it over the first one instead of just running the first and letting it update, and now I can't play it at all. UGH.

The concept is cool though....it seems though (after watching a dragonforce video on GT) that the colored tiles just appear randomly almost, and sometimes have very little correlation with the beat......

I could be wrong though

So uh...anybody got any ideas as to how to fix the problem i'm (and clearly some other people) are having in trying to get this to work?I just really want to play this!!

bounchfx

MikeE21286 said:
The concept is cool though....it seems though (after watching a dragonforce video on GT) that the colored tiles just appear randomly almost, and sometimes have very little correlation with the beat......

I could be wrong though

try some songs that aren't that stupid and you'll be fine, there's a lot of notes that line up great

MikeE21286 said:

I could be wrong though

What song were you playing ? I was amazed by how accurate the pattern was with Beat It.

Enemy Of Fate said:
So uh...anybody got any ideas as to how to fix the problem i'm (and clearly some other people) are having in trying to get this to work?I just really want to play this!!
Uninstall the game. Then reinstall it in a new folder name. Example: "Audiosufx". I had the same problem until I did that.

Holy Order Sol said:
What song were you playing ? I was amazed by how accurate the pattern was with Beat It.

I was just watching a video on Gametrailers....I'm about to try it out right now....Like I said I could definitely be totally wrong. It was just my first impressions.

The game looks really cool at first glance.

Top Bottom