• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I just realised that Dos thing means I can play Prince of Persia, Sim City, Lemmings, and Glider probably

and maybe finally find out what all these yanks are talking about when they're all "Oh the whatever Trail thing game"

/edit oh motherfuckers they have Lion King AND Aladdin AND Jazz Jackrabbit ohhh myyy godddddd

r1chard

Anyone have any idea where I could take my daughter to ride her bike (near Ringwood, though venturing further is looking likely) in this atrocious weather? I took my two days of vacation and we're spending it breaking rain-in-January records :/

Darren870

Anyone have any idea where I could take my daughter to ride her bike (near Ringwood, though venturing further is looking likely) in this atrocious weather? I took my two days of vacation and we're spending it breaking rain-in-January records :/

Go to the Warburton Trail in Lilydale? Its a great trail, but yea might be wet. Not sure what the weather is like there at the moment.

Amazing views though and some coffee or pubs on the way :D

r1chard

Go to the Warburton Trail in Lilydale? Its a great trail, but yea might be wet. Not sure what the weather is like there at the moment.

Amazing views though and some coffee or pubs on the way :D

Unfortunately she's still learning to ride, so I need a largeish flat space for her to do that in (and sadly I live in a hilly area so the immediate surrouds are no good). We usually go to the local school and use their oval, but it's drenched at the moment :/

Unfortunately she's still learning to ride, so I need a largeish flat space for her to do that in (and sadly I live in a hilly area so the immediate surrouds are no good). We usually go to the local school and use their oval, but it's drenched at the moment :/

Bike track mate, Victoria has heaps of it and they're paved and usually avoid roads/crossings as much as possible. Check out the Mardoondah map for your Ringwood location. My son is just off training wheels and bike tracks work great for us both.

http://www.maroondah.vic.gov.au/ParksPaths.aspx (check the PDF map link for routes).

r1chard

Bike track mate, Victoria has heaps of it and they're paved and usually avoid roads/crossings as much as possible. Check out the Mardoondah map for your Ringwood location. My son is just off training wheels and bike tracks work great for us both.

http://www.maroondah.vic.gov.au/ParksPaths.aspx (check the PDF map link for routes).
Just as soon as she's more able to ride in the direction she intends for more than a few meters, yep, we'll hit the tracks ;)

She's not using training wheels (I subscribe to the school that thinks they're the devil's work ;) and has only been on her bike for a total of about 2 hours over two sessions, but is getting there really quickly! I reckon one more session and she'll be ready for paths.

Thanks for the tracks link, it's gonna be very useful!

Edit: LOL that website has THREE Flash plugins and they're both ... to render headings!?! What the hell clown arse web designer does that?!

Pandemic

Need some quick feedback please!

Is it feasible and logical to have a competition via Facebook in which people send in a photo via the comments section.

Then having the page community use the ''Like'' function as a way of voting their best one, and in conclusion using it as a way to choose the winner?

I guess people can get their friends to like their photo but apart from that I see it as pretty fair?

Or would it be better to use the comments as entries, then make another post with top ten entries or something, and then tallying votes via likes.

Appreciate any help.

Just as soon as she's more able to ride in the direction she intends for more than a few meters, yep, we'll hit the tracks ;)

She's not using training wheels (I subscribe to the school that thinks they're the devil's work ;) and has only been on her bike for a total of about 2 hours over two sessions, but is getting there really quickly! I reckon one more session and she'll be ready for paths.

Thanks for the tracks link, it's gonna be very useful!

Edit: LOL that website has THREE Flash plugins and they're both ... to render headings!?! What the hell clown arse web designer does that?!

I can see why you want the shorter safety distance. For my younger daughter I'm not going training wheels when she's ready, we have her on the balance bike instead. Essentially a bike with no pedals they short of walk on.

Too right about the web design, wow.

Shaneus

How about George Brandis' scalp?
QnFkicBm.jpg

Danoss

Thought I'd take a moment to tell you all about Mike Tyson Mysteries, something I'd been meaning to do since it started airing, but had completely forgotten. Having just discovered another episode aired 2 days ago, I've remembered to rectify this.

uenPWMj.jpg

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if Mike Tyson lived with a foster daughter of his, a ghost and a pidgeon; not only that, but they solved mysteries together? Wonder no more, this is now reality (in the form of a cartoon).

‘Mike Tyson wouldn't be my choice as a mystery-solver’, you may be thinking. Well, Scooby and Shaggy weren't the cream of the crop either and that didn't stop them from blundering their way to success. Mike Tyson Mysteries clearly models itself on the classic Scooby gang series, but takes itself (and the title character) even less seriously.

Clocking in at just over 10 minutes, each episode is packed solid with jokes—most of which are at Tyson's expense—and he rolls with it perfectly. It's charming, absurd and incredibly funny at the same time. Setting aside anyones feelings on the astronaut-killing man himself, this show bearing his name is solid and I recommend it without a second thought to those who aren't already aware of it.

If there's a sheltered carpark nearby that is relatively quiet or unused at any particularly convenient time, surely that would be a suitable choice.

Shaneus

Thought I'd take a moment to tell you all about Mike Tyson Mysteries, something I'd been meaning to do since it started airing, but had completely forgotten. Having just discovered another episode aired 2 days ago, I've remembered to rectify this.

uenPWMj.jpg

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if Mike Tyson lived with a foster daughter of his, a ghost and a pidgeon; not only that, but they solved mysteries together? Wonder no more, this is now reality (in the form of a cartoon).

‘Mike Tyson wouldn't be my choice as a mystery-solver’, you may be thinking. Well, Scooby and Shaggy weren't the cream of the crop either and that didn't stop them from blundering their way to success. Mike Tyson Mysteries clearly models itself on the classic Scooby gang series, but takes itself (and the title character) even less seriously.

Clocking in at just over 10 minutes, each episode is packed solid with jokes—most of which are at Tyson's expense—and he rolls with it perfectly. It's charming, absurd and incredibly funny at the same time. Setting aside anyones feelings on the astronaut-killing man himself, this show bearing his name is solid and I recommend it without a second thought to those who aren't already aware of it.
I only saw the first episode of it after stumbling across the thread in OT, but holy shit it's amazing. It has Norm MacDonald as the pigeon, if anyone else needed another reason to see it.

In other obscure comedy alerts, people should watch The Eric Andre Show. Just do it.

Edit: Also, do you need a chuckle AusGAF? The comments here had me dying. Not literally.
(sorry Jase)

Darren870

Anyone have good recommendations for external Hard Drives? Figured I should get one as a backup for pictures etc since my NAS just broke.

uenPWMj.jpg

If there's a sheltered carpark nearby that is relatively quiet or unused at any particularly convenient time, surely that would be a suitable choice.

Thanks for the heads up, keep forgetting to check it out.

are all currently released amiibos sold out for all time or just right now?
This is Nintendo we are talking about, what do you think they will do/are doing?

Gazunta

Yeah, Speedball 2 HD is good for a quick bash for sure. Gutted they left out Manager mode, but the core game is still one of the best one-on-one sports games ever made in two player mode.

Danoss

Anyone have good recommendations for external Hard Drives? Figured I should get one as a backup for pictures etc since my NAS just broke.

For larger external storage, I just use a HDD dock like this one and use the bare drives. It's a pretty cheap setup, tidy on the desk, simple to make redundant backups and store them away when not in use.

If you want something a little more portable, I picked up one of these WD Passport Ultra 2TB units yesterday which seem up to the task. The only differences between it and the model below it (WD Elements 2TB) are 3 years warranty instead of 1, included backup software, hardware encryption, and being the slightest bit smaller that it's essentially irrelevant. I couldn't find the cheaper one anywhere nearby, so I ponied up the extra (and a $20 gift voucher I had only made it $10 more).

Of course there are other brands and capacities, I'm just partial to these at the moment. You may prefer something a little different depending on your needs and past experiences.

Hello sydney!

Hello, Holy!

jambo

For larger external storage, I just use a HDD dock like this one and use the bare drives. It's a pretty cheap setup, tidy on the desk, simple to make redundant backups and store them away when not in use.

I've been thinking about getting a dock for years, but I was never sure how safe it was to have the bare drives lying around or sitting in a cupboard.

Dead Man

Toddler killed in police pursuit after stolen car ploughs through backyard in Sydney's west

A toddler, playing with her siblings in the backyard of her family home, has been killed after she was hit during a police chase involving a stolen car.

Assistant Commissioner Frank Mennili said it is not clear whether the offending car, or the police following, hit the toddler.

"That is a role for the critical incident investigation team, that will look at all the matters involved in this particular operation," he said.

The 17-month-old girl suffered critical injuries and was taken to the Children's Hospital at Westmead where she later died.

Neighbours and children playing in a park in front of the home had to jump out of the way as the cars came through the backyard, a resident said.

"The stolen car came through the house and then two police four-wheel drives, pretty much bumper to tail gate," she said.

"They just came flying through the park.

"We had 10 to 15 kids playing in this park, playing cricket, and they came through doing over 100 kilometres through this park."

The woman said there were skid marks on the street from the police pursuit.

"[The cars] knocked TVs over [on the side of the road] and they've nearly taken out three of the lads that were standing on the corner of the street," she said.

"If it wasn't for a lady standing up the top telling them to move they would have taken out other boys as well.

Fucking idiots, all of them. :(

Darren870

If you want something a little more portable, I picked up one of these WD Passport Ultra 2TB units yesterday which seem up to the task. The only differences between it and the model below it (WD Elements 2TB) are 3 years warranty instead of 1, included backup software, hardware encryption, and being the slightest bit smaller that it's essentially irrelevant. I couldn't find the cheaper one anywhere nearby, so I ponied up the extra (and a $20 gift voucher I had only made it $10 more).

Of course there are other brands and capacities, I'm just partial to these at the moment. You may prefer something a little different depending on your needs and past experiences.

Hello, Holy!

Thanks, will get the portable one and stop by office works on the way home. Don't care about the other features, maybe ill just go with the cheaper one with shorter warranty. See what they have. Hear seagate has a high failure rate but WD is pretty good. Would only be a secondary backup to my NAS anyways so not overly concerned.

Dryk

I was worried my 3Tb hard-drive was failing yesterday, but I think it might just have been the SATA cable crapping out, switched to a different one and it seems better. Really annoyed that no stores in this town sell right-angled latch SATA cable though.

Shaneus

Yyyep. I thought it might've just been the stolen car running through the backyard, because you know, they're meant to call chases off if they get dangerous. But two 4x4s following them?!? Regardless of who they find as directly responsible, they're completely fucked.

And rightly so.

Makes sense, be competitive with Stan.
Make it competitive with Sick Beard then we'll talk, companies.

hamchan

Mr Yellin did, however, seem to accept that the content available to Australians on day one might not be what they expected.

"The catalogue that the Australians will see on day one will improve on day 30, and day 90, or every couple of weeks – sometimes every day, as we have more content coming in," Mr Yellin said.

"So they shouldn't look at it as, 'This is what you get at Netflix?' when they look at the catalogue on day one. They should look at, 'Wow! This is what I get now, and that thing is just going to keep growing and getting better and better'.

So don't buy in on day one is what this is telling me.

Shaneus

So don't buy in on day one is what this is telling me.
Hah, exactly. I don't buy shit now just because something is coming for it in the future. Not like there'll be a shortage or anything.
says the guy who bought a PS4 near launch just for Driveclub

Gazunta

The feeling when you're sitting at your work desk just wanting to draw comics or play SMASH BROS and nope you have to pretend to be working instead
he says, while on GAF

Fuck it, I'm calling an early knock off today, might go see the Hobbit tonight!

Jintor

The feeling when you're sitting at your work desk just wanting to draw comics or play SMASH BROS and nope you have to pretend to be working instead
he says, while on GAF

Fuck it, I'm calling an early knock off today, might go see the Hobbit tonight!

I've been debating if the situation where you'll get yelled at if they see you're not doing work vs the situation where you can slack off all you want but it'll bite you in the arse later is worse.

legend166

I find it weird that there's a cartoon about a convicted rapist and women beater.

Like, I'm not saying that in a "how dare you watch it" getting on my high horse type of way. I just think it's interesting how society can completely shun someone based on their crimes, but then not just accept someone else but even elevate them to an even higher position, despite their crimes being much worse.

And the thing about Tyson is that it's very hard to find any proof of legitimate remorse and rehabilitation. By his own admission he was still beating up women in 2009. His whole sobriety schtick turned out to be a scam.

So we've got a violent alcoholic with a history of rape and an insane amount of violence against women, but everyone's just like "but lol face tattoo".

I dunno, I've always thought it was a bit weird.

r1chard

I can see why you want the shorter safety distance. For my younger daughter I'm not going training wheels when she's ready, we have her on the balance bike instead. Essentially a bike with no pedals they short of walk on.

Too right about the web design, wow.
My daughter bought her bike from Big W and it came unassembled. We just didn't put the pedals on until she was was confident that she'd mastered scooting around with them off. After a further hour or so mucking about with the pedals on she could get about 10m of pedaling :)

senahorse

That moment when you first learn to ride a bike is glorious (one of my greatest memories). I was off, peddling, I had momentum, got about 5M and tried to turn, and ate dirt. But I just got back up and kept trying. That feeling of freedom :D

Jintor

I actually fell off my bike for the first time in about a decade the other day. Turns out: don't ride on snow. Also turns out: It's really hard to tell which part of the road is snow and which part isn't when they're both a mushy crappy grey colour and you're travelling way too fast for what you should be doing.

Thankfully slamming into snow is mostly soft.

If you're lucky.

r1chard

That moment when you first learn to ride a bike is glorious (one of my greatest memories). I was off, peddling, I had momentum, got about 5M and tried to turn, and ate dirt. But I just got back up and kept trying. That feeling of freedom :D

Yeah, it's really neat to see the pure joy on her face as she's getting it going :)

Guys,

Seg-uh, Say-guh or Sea-guh?

pls make the right choice

it's Say-gah, unless you grew up in Australia. Then its Sea-gah.

That's how the distributors used to pronounce it in Sega ads for a loooooong time, even after the Megadrive had the pronounciation in the boot up sequence.

Segga? Get me my switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom