• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Who was it who didn't get an invite to Stan? I got one yesterday and I only signed up when they announced the invites were being sent out. I did register with two email accounts, but I thought that was pretty quick.

Stackboy

Might sub to Stan until Netflix is out. The selection is pretty poor at the moment, i understand its a new service and still not publicly released but there is way too much old stuff and not enough of it. The latter is what is off-putting the most, if your gonna have old stuff then you better have a lot of it. Also no subtitles is another strike against the service considering FetchTV and Netflix offers it.

Edit: Chrome, IE or Firefox the browser experience is slow and cluncky, i suspect this is due to Silverlight. Needs a dedicated app on ATV3, WDTV, PS3/PS4, 360/Xbone.

I picked up a chromecast last night and got Stan working on it. The selection is good, there's plenty there, but there is still holes. You're not going to find everything you are looking for. We watched a bit of Daria, I made a note to rewatch all of Fargo with my wife, she watched an animated movie and I perused the catalogue. It's good for when you don't know what you want to watch.

With the Taylor Swift being disqualified for KFC promoting the hashtag, couldn't like any company just jump on twitter and promote Peking Duk or Chet Faker and ruin them as well? Seems a bit stupid to have that be the reason she's out, rather than like, her not being played on Triple J.

We all know JJJ is going to fake play it as #1, because they love that dumb joke.

Who was it who didn't get an invite to Stan? I got one yesterday and I only signed up when they announced the invites were being sent out. I did register with two email accounts, but I thought that was pretty quick.

Pomirades.

Edit. Just checked my spam email account that I used to sign up to stan yesterday, and have gotten an invite.

markot

Banned
Hey guys im gonna launch a service that will rival netflix.

Im gonna call it STAN.

Get it?

THERES NOTHING TO GET ITS A DUMB NAME.

Only listened to the new Purity Ring song once and didn't think much of it but still want another second album

How long? Be a touch over a month. Will go back for a while and then take at least another 2 weeks off once the twins are ready to come home... which hopefully will be towards the end of February... but who knows.

ah yeah whoops meant how long
Don't mean to pry too much but sounds like they were a bit premy?

Don't know why I'm so interested. I'm a single 21 year old dude who at this moment would ideally not want to have kids for another decade or so.

Maybe this could be interesting. What age were ausgaffers with kids when they first had their own small human being?

With the Taylor Swift being disqualified for KFC promoting the hashtag, couldn't like any company just jump on twitter and promote Peking Duk or Chet Faker and ruin them as well? Seems a bit stupid to have that be the reason she's out, rather than like, her not being played on Triple J.

Well she's not officially disqualified as of yet and yeah I don't think they can throw her out for that when a third party has gotten involved with no prompting. The person who talked about KFC in the first place, Angela Catterns, has retracted her claim

Shaneus

Does anyone here have experience with the knockoff Xbox 360 wireless controller adapters for PC? Thinking about getting one for my HTPC/emulation box, and maybe might buy another controller as well. Unless someone can think of another wireless controller that is 360-like but doesn't need it (ie. is BT or uses it's own dongle).
Edit: Wait, nevermind. Turns out if I buy a Windows Xbox 360 controller from PLE, it'll only cost me $36 and MS have a $20 cashback deal on it if I buy it before Feb 1st. Nice.

Fredescu

Does anyone here have experience with the knockoff Xbox 360 wireless controller adapters for PC? Thinking about getting one for my HTPC/emulation box, and maybe might buy another controller as well. Unless someone can think of another wireless controller that is 360-like but doesn't need it (ie. is BT or uses it's own dongle).
Edit: Wait, nevermind. Turns out if I buy a Windows Xbox 360 controller from PLE, it'll only cost me $36 and MS have a $20 cashback deal on it if I buy it before Feb 1st. Nice.

If it was for a HTPC, the DS4 would be a pretty good option since the touchpad works, right? At least that's what I'm getting from this: http://kotaku.com/the-dualshock-4-has-become-a-pretty-great-pc-controlle-1648577637

Although obviously you should buy one of these: http://store.madcatz.com/brands/mad...oller-for-Android-Smartphones-Tablets-PC.html

Shaneus

If it was for a HTPC, the DS4 would be a pretty good option since the touchpad works, right? At least that's what I'm getting from this: http://kotaku.com/the-dualshock-4-has-become-a-pretty-great-pc-controlle-1648577637
That's not a bad idea... but the DS4 costs a hell of a lot more than a 360 pad w/ PC dongle does :/

Gah, what a monstrosity.

PS. Can anyone tell me what the fuck this means?
BlPErO9m.png

Is my 6:30pm time confirmed, or is it at 8pm? Why couldn't they just say they changed my booking? Also, changing a dinner booking from 6:30pm to 8:00pm shifts it from dinner into early-supper (or something) territory.

Fredescu

PS. Can anyone tell me what the fuck this means?
BlPErO9m.png

Is my 6:30pm time confirmed, or is it at 8pm? Why couldn't they just say they changed my booking? Also, changing a dinner booking from 6:30pm to 8:00pm shifts it from dinner into early-supper (or something) territory.

I think they mean someone else has your table at 8pm? I would call and confirm.

Shaneus

Was an error with the messaging thing, definitely booked in for 6:30pm. Relieved, any later would be a dodgy time for dinner.

Place is amazing, too. They have macaroni and cheese croquettes!

Gazunta

Shaneus I read that as the topic is your 6:30 booking, and they have actually moved it to 8pm.

You should cancel and have a curry instead.

Some of Gazunta's posts are sponsored by the Curry Council of Australia

Quasar

THERES NOTHING TO GET ITS A DUMB NAME.

You should be used to dumb names as a gamer.

I would have called it Barry or Bluey. That seems more aussie.

Certain better than something-flix. But really what do you name a streaming service that stands out, and of course isnt trademarked or domains are all taken.

Quasar

Might sub to Stan until Netflix is out. The selection is pretty poor at the moment, i understand its a new service and still not publicly released but there is way too much old stuff and not enough of it. The latter is what is off-putting the most, if your gonna have old stuff then you better have a lot of it. Also no subtitles is another strike against the service considering FetchTV and Netflix offers it.

Edit: Chrome, IE or Firefox the browser experience is slow and cluncky, i suspect this is due to Silverlight. Needs a dedicated app on ATV3, WDTV, PS3/PS4, 360/Xbone.

Well it had ios/android with chromecast/airplay support. So I doubt we'll see a ATV app. Hell noone seems to make Aussie ATV apps. I think I'm still in shock about that shitty cricket one.

People seem happier to just include airplay with a ios app.

Omikron

ah yeah whoops meant how long
Don't mean to pry too much but sounds like they were a bit premy?

Don't know why I'm so interested. I'm a single 21 year old dude who at this moment would ideally not want to have kids for another decade or so.

Maybe this could be interesting. What age were ausgaffers with kids when they first had their own small human being?

Yeah they were prem. ~30 weeks. :)

And our first was born when I was 29.

Yeah they were prem. ~30 weeks. :)

And our first was born when I was 29.
Geez, that must've been tough. Our little guy was born at 31 weeks,1425g. Taking off the two week buffer because of being twins makes them the equivalent of 28 weeks at birth.

How are they doing now?

Andromeda any good? it's on Stan. The one with Kevin 'Hercules' Sorbo.

Watch the first two seasons, then stop.

From memory, Sorbo wound up getting some of the (good) writers axed. It turns into Hercules in space, with many plots focused on Sorbo including the revelation that the protagonist is part heavy-gravity-worlder and thus possesses greatly enhanced strength. The overall plotting falls apart and we get a lot of real stupid stories. If you do stick with it you will at least get to enjoy some cameos by Michael Ironside and Michael Shanks. Oh and obviously the ship computer gets a robot body in addition to its hologram and she's always wearing skimpy clothing (it's the actress who played Dr Lamb on SG1, if you ever watched the latter seasons of that show).

It has some cool stuff in the show, tactical speeds are measured in "PSL" (percentage of the speed of light), distances are in light-seconds and light-minutes, it features a lot of artificial intelligence and heavy automation of starships, drone weapon platforms, stuff like that. It's credit as being created by Gene Roddenberry but he died long before the show came to air and it's not "really" his show.

damn that's cheap, thanks for posting

holy moly

Does anyone here have experience with the knockoff Xbox 360 wireless controller adapters for PC?
I bought one of these (same model, same seller) around a year ago and it works with the legit 360 controllers fine. I have one genuine adapter and one knockoff, and don't see any difference in performance. You have to use the included drivers though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Throwing it out to the AusGAF ring; anybody aware of any jobs going in Melbourne? I'm employed, doing great, but concerned about my company's stability as a whole, internal restructuring that'll probably squander career progression for most staff for awhile, and generally just want a change of environment.

Throwing it out to the AusGAF ring; anybody aware of any jobs going in Melbourne? I'm employed, doing great, but concerned about my company's stability as a whole, internal restructuring that'll probably squander career progression for most staff for awhile, and generally just want a change of environment.

but what do you do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom