• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

OH HEY GUYS HERE IS A COMIC ABOUT RESIDENT EVIL, YOU KIDS REMEMBER RESIDENT EVIL RIGHT

ALSO! BrisGAF! I will be on the radio tonight talking about SMASH BROS and how great it is to SMASH some BROS. Tune into 4ZZZ - 102.1 FM at 6pm tonight! OH YEAH!

AusGAF folk can listen live too! http://4zzz.org.au/listen-online

Fusebox

Banned
Birthday present from grandma when you already have one!

Didn't need to bust out this excuse.

I went to JB and said the top-screen is a bit too yellow for my liking (true) and at the very least I'd like to replace this, but tbh I much prefer my n3DS and won't be playing this so if I can get a full refund it'd be great.

And she went yeah cool give us your card and gave me my money back.

Then I bought Disney Magical World 3DS and Captain Toad Tracker for me kid.

Quasar

Well I got a Stan invite too. Doing some searches it is indeed limited, though thats hardly shocking for a new service and the way it seems rights are split in Australia (no Disney or WB content from what I can see for instance).

Certainly BBC and ABC content seems more prominent than on Netflix.

One curious thing given who owns it is I'm struggling to find Nine made TV shows.

senahorse

Well I got a Stan invite too. Doing some searches it is indeed limited, though thats hardly shocking for a new service and the way it seems rights are split in Australia (no Disney or WB content from what I can see for instance).

Certainly BBC and ABC content seems more prominent than on Netflix.

One curious thing given who owns it is I'm struggling to find Nine made TV shows.

Checked my email, and I got one as well. There isn't much content but as you said, not surprising, considering it hasn't even officially launched. I think I will keep it for a few months and see how it goes. Also quite a lot is in HD which is surprising but good.

edit: most (all?) of the TV shows are lacking a "HD" icon, but when I played a few of them they let me play in HD. A nice start for the service, will be good to see how much content it gets over the next few months.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Mr Bufbaf will be visiting our glorious little town of Adelaide next month. Any radgaffers wanna have a little meetup? We'll be in town the weekend of soundwave (20-23 feb) so the friday could work. Let me know or whatevs.

Mannnnnnnnn fuck growing up. I've been spending all my work time working rather than talking shit on the internet :(

Someone on OCAU is selling an unused pack that contains a Wiimote, sensor bar, as well as Just Dance and Nintendoland for $25. Good if your in Sydney and can pick it up.

Kmart have been clearing them out, the vast majority will have already cleared them during the great WiiU firesale of 2014 though.

OH HEY GUYS HERE IS A COMIC ABOUT RESIDENT EVIL, YOU KIDS REMEMBER RESIDENT EVIL RIGHT

ALSO! BrisGAF! I will be on the radio tonight talking about SMASH BROS and how great it is to SMASH some BROS. Tune into 4ZZZ - 102.1 FM at 6pm tonight! OH YEAH!

AusGAF folk can listen live too! http://4zzz.org.au/listen-online
That's some fine comicing Gaz.

Smash Bros sucks though so I won't be tuning in, no sir!

Quasar

Mannnnnnnnn fuck growing up. I've been spending all my work time working rather than talking shit on the internet :(

Kmart have been clearing them out, the vast majority will have already cleared them during the great WiiU firesale of 2014 though.

Will have to check locally.

Quasar

Checked my email, and I got one as well. There isn't much content but as you said, not surprising, considering it hasn't even officially launched. I think I will keep it for a few months and see how it goes. Also quite a lot is in HD which is surprising but good.

edit: most (all?) of the TV shows are lacking a "HD" icon, but when I played a few of them they let me play in HD. A nice start for the service, will be good to see how much content it gets over the next few months.

Yeah. Digging around has been interesting. All of deadwood is there, but no rome. And some older shows are oddly incomplete (like dawsons creek). The scifi catalogue seems sparse, and no anime (though anime specific services cover that).

In terms of system, I guess my main complaints would be too few genre categories and no ability to sort by date.

senahorse

Definitely needs more genre categories, though I noticed that if you go into a cross genre movie, you can pick different genres from there.

Gazunta

Time to make a Presidog card game.

Got my Stan code but I don't think i have a way to watch it on my TV. Awesome.

Are there any streaming services that just let me watch The Simpsons 24/7 or what

Quasar

Hulu Plus probably. Free hulu just has the 5 most recent episodes.

And I'd think Presto would given its Newscorp based.

They all went to space to get eaten.
7f04_25_how_to_cook_forty_humans.jpg

You'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel.

got a stan code today
the content isn't too bad I guess
started watching a doco called A Complete History of My Sexual Failures

Are there any streaming services that just let me watch The Simpsons 24/7 or what

Plex. You want me to rip all your DVD copies for you? Fly me to Brisbane and I'll do it.

So, The Oatmeal has a card game up on Kickstarter. Had a $10,000 goal, after 24 hours it's at $1.32 million with 35,000 backers.

It looks awesome.

Only 4 reward levels, 2 of which have already sold out? Why this seems like a pretty straightforward and well thought out Kickstarter. This is incredibly odd.

Also it seems great so I'm in :)

Dead Man

Plex. You want me to rip all your DVD copies for you? Fly me to Brisbane and I'll do it.

Only 4 reward levels, 2 of which have already sold out? Why this seems like a pretty straightforward and well thought out Kickstarter. This is incredibly odd.

Also it seems great so I'm in :)

If I fly you to Adelaide will you rip my 300 DVD's?

Darren870

Anyone in Melbourne going to AusOpen?

Going on Australia day. Looking forward to it actually! Went to Wimbledon 2 years ago and really enjoyed the day...
getting drunk

N0VAM0D

What's everyone doing on Australia Day? I haven't got any plans yet, but I'm still pretty excited.

Also, I need to try that Vegemite pizza, ahhh

Dead Man

blind drunk, praying for a Taylor Swift victory

triple j's misplaced elitism is so cringey

Reposting what I said to a friend on another site about this:

But I care because of the method. If it was just people voting as normal it would be nothing at all. It's more that mobilising a big campaign to force someone who is not needing the help is just a bit on the nose.

If she just got lots of votes, I wouldn't care. If she was a less publicised artist who needed the extra publicity, I wouldn't care. Mobilizing a campaign for someone as successful as Swift is just... tacky.

Sounds like a ton of fun to me! Only problem is finding a free weekend >_<

All I'd need is DVDdecrypter, AutoGK, this album on repeat, wifi access for my Vita and the usual hydration/sustenance/non-lifethreatening-living-conditions.

Don't tempt me.

Darren870

So I'm trying to get ADSL working in my new house and am confused as hell.

Signed up and the provider says it should be working. Plug the modem into the wall and nothing. Plug a phone into the wall and no dial tone. Call the provider.

Telstra comes out and checks the line to the house (the telstra box attached to the house) and says its working fine. No issue with the line. They said its something inside the house.

Any idea what? There are two phone jacks in my place. Both dont work. I find it very odd that both dont work yet everything else does. Is there a switch I am missing? Are my providers idiots? The place was rented out before so its highly unlikely they had no phone/internet before me.

Lucian Cat

Are Kogan brand tvs good? I'm looking at getting a smallish one for my room. From memory people have said they're good right?

Mr. Tone

Are Kogan brand tvs good? I'm looking at getting a smallish one for my room. From memory people have said they're good right?

I think my sister has one, she's got no complaints. They're cheap at least.

Re:Soundwave weekend, I still need to get off my backside and buy a ticket, but I'm up for whatever.

Kmart seem to be clearing out basic WiiU models for $200, see if your local has stock/is doing the deal. Most will have been long gone months ago.

If she just got lots of votes, I wouldn't care. If she was a less publicised artist who needed the extra publicity, I wouldn't care. Mobilizing a campaign for someone as successful as Swift is just... tacky.

Yeah this is literally a bunch of trolls trying to rig a poll for the lulz.

Not sure why anyone would find that cool. Unless you identify with said trolls.

I guess because it sold 6 million copies it should be #1 on every poll? I don't know, I don't understand it.

Lucian Cat

I think my sister has one, she's got no complaints. They're cheap at least.

Re:Soundwave weekend, I still need to get off my backside and buy a ticket, but I'm up for whatever.

That's what I want. Just a cheap tv for the next few months til I work out my living situation. Guess I'll buy it when I get paid tomorrow.

If we can't do something soundwave weekend the following weekend is still fine. Chances are we'll be too tired at night anyway and just go straight back to the hotel unless it's friday night.

Dryk

Yeah if she just won I wouldn't care. But trying to get her to win because Triple J doesn't like the thing you like/because the popular thing must win all the polls is frustrating.

jambo

I guess because it sold 6 million copies it should be #1 on every poll? I don't know, I don't understand it.

To me it's just annoying that people go "well it was a huge song so why can't it be number 1?"

It's a fucking alternative station. Yes, there's been a change over the past few years with Triple J playing some more mainstream songs and certain genres they never would have played in the 90s, but that doesn't mean they should suddenly play all the mainstream stuff.

There are already stations that play her music. I like having a station that plays a bunch of different stuff, and especially that plays a lot of Aussie stuff.

To me it's the equivalent of all the NeoGAF posters who were whinging about The Last of Us not winning the RockPaperShotgun GotY for 2013.

bomma_man

Reposting what I said to a friend on another site about this:

Don't tempt me.

Fair enough. I do think shake it off's better than the other favourites though, which are just as poppy (iirc Chandelier was written for Rihanna and then there's fucking Bruno Mars man). I agree that mobilising a campaign for it is a bit lame, and the motivations behind it are probably not the same as mine.

That is a horrible article

Fuckin mark di stefano who started all this. I don't think it's too dramatic to say this will have real repercussions for JJJ either way this ends up going

Flight Facilities had the best thing to say about all this I reckon

I doubt it, they'll probably just change it so you can only vote for songs that have been played by the station. No biggie. Twitter campaigns... Eh, their presenters do a novelty song campaign every year, this year their listeners are taking it into their own hands. It's not like the whole thing's some sacred cow, I mean fucking Dennis Leary won.

Kmart seem to be clearing out basic WiiU models for $200, see if your local has stock/is doing the deal. Most will have been long gone months ago.

[/qoute]

I get just get this awful vibe of self importance from triple j - or at least I did when I still listened to it regularly - even though in theory I should identify with them. Like the music equivalent of the stereotypical euphoric atheist.

Edit: I guess it's because they're all about being alternative rather than just good, but they act like those things are synonymous, and then play a bunch of shite anyway.

Twitter campaigns... Eh, their presenters do a novelty song campaign every year, this year their listeners are taking it into their own hands.

LOL

Seems more like people who don't listen to the station are taking it into their own hands you mean?

I get just get this awful vibe of self importance from triple j - or at least I did when I still listened to it regularly - even though in theory I should identify with them. Like the music equivalent of the stereotypical euphoric atheist.

Edit: I guess it's because they're all about being alternative rather than just good, but they act like those things are synonymous, and then play a bunch of shite anyway.
This is really strange, are you saying Triple J listeners are the equivalent of stereotypical euphoric atheists? Seems like you're actively taking shots at Triple J listeners and Triple J for not sharing your exact taste, as seen by the "play a bunch of shite" remark.

markot

Banned
Why do donkey Kong games so..... Soulless? I've felt that way since I first tried that old dkc game... Something's missing.

In fact, I include the original dk game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom