• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could get a Wii U.

I have one. I bought it at launch in 2012 and I have a great library of games on that, most of which I haven't seen available anywhere else.

Even if I just end up playing Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey this year, that's fine for me (I have PS4 Pro and an X1)

also, I do OK. Not great, but OK so this isn't going to kill me.

yea il need to see a hell of alot of support from all the Devs and publishers before i even consider it after that last shit show of theres ( i didnt bet on the Wii U)

legend166

I was 99% ready to buy a Switch at launch. For almost $500 with literally one game I'm interested in for the first six months? Nah. What a disaster.

hamchan

Switch + Zelda costing $550 really is too much and I think it'll be for most people too.

A lot of people already bought those $290 Xbox One S bundles last holidays after all!

Switch + Zelda costing $550 really is too much and I think it'll be for most people too.

A lot of people already bought those $290 Xbox One S bundles last holidays after all!

That price point is stupid. Idiotic. It's beyond comprehension.

Agreed. Hopefully the backlash will prompt some realignment before launch (a la Wii U, which was about $50 cheaper on launch day in Aus) or PS4 Pro (where Amazon price matched Tescos supermarket) and not like the OG Xbox which had its AU$650 launch price cut to $399 in a month.

still, at least its not a AU$999 PS3

Yeah I know a lot of kids who got an X1S Minecraft bundle for Xmas considering how cheap they were. They have tablets for Minecraft on the go already which doesn't help the Switch argument.

Jintor

Agreed. Hopefully the backlash will prompt some realignment before launch (a la Wii U, which was about $50 cheaper on launch day in Aus) or PS4 Pro (where Amazon price matched Tescos supermarket) and not like the OG Xbox which had its AU$650 launch price cut to $399 in a month.

Maybe all Australian console launch price points are stupid and idiotic now that you mention it

Maybe all Australian console launch price points are stupid and idiotic now that you mention it

damn straight.

I guess in the internet age, we got used to thinking of stuff in US dollars, and then when we had parity for a few years, we were spoiled.

I did some quick research on old AU launch prices.

The Wii was $399
Wii U $429 (premium though that was often reduced/price matched to under $400 on launch day if you asked)
460 499/649 (core and HDD version)
PS2 $749
PS3 $999
DC $499
GC $299 (was 329 but got cut just before launch from memory)

Jintor

It may be that playing with region pricing might cheapen it, and there might be decent bundles. But at that price at launch? I'm more interested in a PS4 pro and getting nier automata and ffxv with my bro. I'll just play Zelda on Wii u.

Recreat3

Im sure the launch xb1 was only 600 and my console cane with fifa 14 but i could be wrong. Its a lot of money for what is essentially a slightly more powerful wii u that is portable (with the current lineup atleast).

I wonder how much a wii u will trade in for towards the switch. $100 off? I have no idea.

N0VAM0D

lmao at the Switch price point. I mean, they completely lost my interest when I heard about the battery life, but this pricing is a total joke.

The pricing stings and makes me not want to shell out at launch,though it was doubtful I could swing it this time anyway. I can play Zelda on Wii U.

The thing about game console pricing is that whether it's worth it depends on the games. Last year, I effectively spent $250 to play Persona 4 the Golden. Will I get more Vita games as time goes on? Sure. Was it worth paying $250 to play a four year old game? Yes, absolutely.

Thing is, I wasn't buying the Vita for its potential, so paying outrageous prices for the hardware was easier to justify.

You'd best believe though that I am there day one for Xenoblade 2.

Card Boy

Banned
My Switch thoughts

Pro

+Region free
+Control schemes
+Games shown / announced
+New rumble
+Local Social experience around the console
+Typically traditional handheld games getting a massive upgrade

Negative

-Online cost, its bad enough PSN + XBL costing money. This thing on paper is worth like $20 tops a year
-Only getting 1 Virtual console game a month and only for that month
-Basic features not ready for launch such as voice chat
-Poor online infrastructure
-32gig Storage space and forced to buy more
-Dock not having ethernet
-Cost of accessories
-No BC with 3DS titles

Neutral

* Price, it is sort of fair if you do the math and numbers behind it, i only think its $20 tops over priced
* No Miiverse / Miis / Streetpass
* Battery life

Rizzi

Switch: $469.95
Real controller: $99.95
Ability to charge the joycons while using them: $39.95
Zelda: $89.95

Depending on what combination of what you want, it'll cost one of these prices.
$555.9/$599.85/$659.85/$699.8

Meanwhile you can get a PS4 Pro for the same price as the Switch.

Switch: $469.95
Real controller: $99.95
Ability to charge the joycons while using them: $39.95
Zelda: $89.95

Depending on what combination of what you want, it'll cost one of these prices.
$555.9/$599.85/$659.85/$699.8

Meanwhile you can get a PS4 Pro for the same price as the Switch.

Extra JoyCon's are $120 too.

Rizzi

It's baffling to me how Nintendo thought "Yes, this is what people will buy." As much as they would like it, the console market is not a vacuum. They have competing console manufacturers with better valued products.

Gazunta

*Nintendo reveals Switch*

Hmm, dunno if I want to buy one especially at that pri--

*Capcom reveals yet another re-release of Street Fighter 2*

ALL MONEY NOW GOES TO NINTENDO GLORY BE PRAISE THIS WONDER MACHINE LORD

I want to like the Switch goddamnit. I would have convinced myself that it's worth it for the 'real' version of Zelda but the reports already are that potentially the Wii U version runs better... so it looks like I'll at least wait till Mario comes out- if it's good.

It's just so sad that Nintendo aren't a sure thing anymore. Like even saying "wait until Mario comes out" and wondering if it'll be good... it's almost an odd concept to me but after the game droughts of Gamecube / Wii / Wii U / the lineup so far on Switch... who knows.

MoonGred

Am I the only one who's still excited for the switch?

I don't know why but there were so many moments during the presentation that actually put a smile on my face.
I'm glad they're trying something different again, it might not work, who knows, but it appeals way more to me than a ps4 pro or scorpio, if I want better looking games I'll just use my PC.
Even the Australian price is within reason.

Dimefan3

I was excited about it when the presentation finished.

Then the AU price was revealed, and I started to be a bit skeptical.

Now the post-presentation buzz has gone, I'm looking at the pros and cons more and more, and I'm a bit disappointed.

470 + 180 for the zelda game (want the master edition) + pro controller and now we're getting into a very high price bracket. Even with just a regular edition of Zelda, it's hard for one to justify such a price for something that isn't even ready for launch.

Nintendo have really dropped the ball on this one. What would make it worse is if they pull their "low stock = high demand" crap they've done since the NES days.

In regards to paid online, they would want to reinvest that money they make into providing a stellar service, or they might as well not even bother. Not to mention the 'one month' period for a free NES/SNES game is pretty dodge - PSPlus lets you play the game for months afterwards, if not permanently.

You can probably tell, I'm still a bit on the fence about it, but starting to lean more towards the 'no thanks' side. I'm thinking I might just pre order Zelda for the Wii U and wait for Nintendo to sort their shit out. (If that ever happens.)

Disappointed the 'Master Edition' for Zelda isn't for Wii U as well, or at least it's not advertised on the EB Games website.

I think if this fails, Nintendo might have to resign to going down the Sega road of becoming a third party developer.

The AU price is high, but it shouldn't be a shock based on the conference, 300 US dollars into AUD + GST is $440. Americans will pay their own local taxes on top of the 300. It's not an unfair price for our dollar. It's expensive in Japan and America, too.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm excited for the switch. I'm not excited about paying for a switch or for Nintendo online infrastructure

I'm honestly not going to pay for it. The only game i might be interested in MK8 Deluxe and that is better local anyway. If Monster Hunter was announced....then i am legally obliged to the pay for Nintendos shitty online infrastructure.

hamchan

I'm excited for the Switch that's a couple of years into the future, where Nintendo has established a large library with all their teams developing for it, and where the price has fallen to be closer to what I expect for a handheld device/PS4 level console.

Rizzi

The AU price is high, but it shouldn't be a shock based on the conference, 300 US dollars into AUD + GST is $440. Americans will pay their own local taxes on top of the 300. It's not an unfair price for our dollar. It's expensive in Japan and America, too.

If it was $440 for the console, a game and a controller that didn't require purchasing a $40 piece of plastic to charge, I'd say fair enough. But for what the Switch actually is, and what you get for $470? I'm not that desperate to play Zelda.

Rezbit

To be fair apparently the joycon battery lasts for ~20 hours, so should outlast any play duration.

Regarding price, if they based it off the yen we would be paying $350-400 instead. I have no idea how these things work but that would make more sense considering they're a Japanese company and it's all manufactured in China anyway.

Jintor

Any of you guys can recommend a USB-A to USB-C cable? I've lost mine so I can't use my portable battery anymore and the phone is a battery guzzler sometimes.

Damnit I'm sure I had it when I got back to the house last night but somewhere between removing my phone from the battery and setting the battery to charge I lost it

the problem is for what your getting its not a small price to pay

Any of you guys can recommend a USB-A to USB-C cable? I've lost mine so I can't use my portable battery anymore and the phone is a battery guzzler sometimes.

Damnit I'm sure I had it when I got back to the house last night but somewhere between removing my phone from the battery and setting the battery to charge I lost it

"Aluminum Nylon Braided USB-A to USB C"

i would check out ebay you can get cables in packs of 3 or so for dirt cheap and up to 3 meters for a bit more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom