• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

choodi

Banned
Don’t forget swimsuits for the fuller figure and neighbours from hell.

I raised a complaint about one of TT’s stories to the media watchdog (forget what it’s called) being race baiting and fear mongering and not being in the public interest. Months later, Channel 7 sent me a very carefully worded letter saying that they thought I was wrong and that this therefore put the matter to bed.

Having by this point forgotten all about the segment and not wanting to get into an Internet forum fight with someone whose job it is to deflect attention away from their employer’s stupid bullshit, I let it slide. I remember being so angry at the time too.

What were you even doing watching it in the first place?

And more importantly, what crash diet or new homemade cleaning products did you end up trying afterwards?

Quasar

lateline getting axed but aca and tt continuing forever on a steady diet of shonky middle eastern plumbers, abusing fat white landlords who don't fix the hot water plumbing, top 10 consumer tips to save you your precious bucks, and diet racism

And let’s not forget the continuous attacks on the unemployed and anyone else claiming benefits unless it’s the old age pension.

But yeah...I’m sad to see Lateline go. Though I guess at least the money is being redeployed in news and not just stripped away in cost cutting.

What were you even doing watching it in the first place?

And more importantly, what crash diet or new homemade cleaning products did you end up trying afterwards?
I was at Mum’s house and the TV was on in the background. An ad for it came on and it was the very epitome of race baiting propaganda, so I made note of it and filed the complaint.

I hadn’t watched live TV in a good long while by that time, so maybe I was surprised at just how blatant it was.

Jintor

the really irritating thing to me is that australia's 60 minutes is just utter garbage and is tinged with the flavour of current affairs programs

Quasar

the really irritating thing to me is that australia's 60 minutes is just utter garbage and is tinged with the flavour of current affairs programs

Wasn’t it always? And just like the US one.

About the only decent thing Nine did was Sunday.

hirokazu

Two years sounds about right, I think. Three is a stretch, especially if you’re a heavy user, because update bloat slows the OS and your battery starts to crap out.

Speaking of batteries crapping out - Samus Returns will be the last 3DS game I buy. I never knew how terrible it could be to have a handheld tethered to one place until I realised my 3DS battery doesn’t hold more than two minutes of charge anymore. I have to hold the system at a particular angle while playing in bed - it’s awful.

The worst part is that because I have an American 3DS, I don’t think I can buy a local one for cheap and transfer my data over either.
Why not just buy a replacement battery?

Stackboy

PAX schedule is up for anyone going.

I'm giving it a miss this year. I'll miss going but needed a break. Might be back next year.

PAX schedule is up for anyone going.

I'm giving it a miss this year. I'll miss going but needed a break. Might be back next year.
I'm going because it's in Melbourne and so am I, but yeesh, there's not much of interest there for me. I'll still have a fun day out regardless.

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night.

Pretty good film. Only caveat is that seeing it after work (8pm session started at around 8:30 due to the dozens of ads they play in UK cinemas compared to Australia) meant due to the way many scenes are paced, i may have nodded off here and there and I can't for sure be certain if I was asleep for 10 seconds or 10 minutes because they were still on the same shot.

That's not a criticism, it's a beautifully executed movie with some great action scenes much better story and acting than in the first, but I can see some people having issues with it .

Triteon

I'm going because it's in Melbourne and so am I, but yeesh, there's not much of interest there for me. I'll still have a fun day out regardless.

Yea very little for me as well.
I'm still going though , bought my flights and accom months ago. just means i'll be spending more time in the tabletop area and out with friends I guess.

Pretty good film. Only caveat is that seeing it after work (8pm session started at around 8:30 due to the dozens of ads they play in UK cinemas compared to Australia) meant due to the way many scenes are paced, i may have nodded off here and there and I can't for sure be certain if I was asleep for 10 seconds or 10 minutes because they were still on the same shot.

That's not a criticism, it's a beautifully executed movie with some great action scenes much better story and acting than in the first, but I can see some people having issues with it .
Do I need to have seen the first to enjoy the second?

Sigh - AUS gaf/TECH Gaf ( windows 10 Users) im guessing windows 10 4k scaling on large screens is truly boned ...... it just wants to use nearest naybor instead of biliner .........

absalouty not but then again its possible that you might not enjoy it at all ......

I've heard good things about it, hope to see it this weekend.

No but there is at least one scene that only makes total sense if you've seen the original but it won't take a genius to understand the emotion in the scene.

Basically (no spoilers)
In the first film, Harrison Ford plays Deckard, a retired Blade Runner. BR's basically hunt down rogue robot humanoids called Replicants. Spoilered for peeps who might want to watch the original first
In the first film there were 4 Replicants (most notably Rutger Hauer and Darryl Hannah) that had to be hunted down and Ford falls for a girl called Rachel and runs off with her at the end. She's a replicant and depending on which cut of the original, so might Ford's character. Oh and Edward Jame's Olmos returns briefly in the new film but without the fake asian accent he has in the first film. He was a rather hostile police detective who turns up and gives Ford's character messages

Quasar

Really? Thats a pretty high bar given its my all time favourite sf film. Probably in my top 10 films overall.

Gave the Battlefront beta a go tonight. So far it's improved heaps on the first one. So close to buying it...
I was actually going to say the opposite! It feels too much like the original to me, when I was hoping for a bit more complexity/depth to be added to the gameplay. They've nailed the atmosphere and just general 'feel', but the gameplay itself still feels a bit too mindless and casual to me. I found myself losing interest very quickly, much like the original :(

The space combat is still excellent though, and the highlight of the game for me (again).

I was actually going to say the opposite! It feels too much like the original to me, when I was hoping for a bit more complexity/depth to be added to the gameplay. They've nailed the atmosphere and just general 'feel', but the gameplay itself still feels a bit too mindless and casual to me. I found myself losing interest very quickly, much like the original :(

The space combat is still excellent though, and the highlight of the game for me (again).

See how I feel after playing tonight.

I had a group of 3 with me and we played all the modes and enjoyed them all. Single Player might get me over the line to purchase it. Depends how long it is though.

@reptilescorpio have you watched pac man ghostly adventures ? im sure theres some Gems in there but the first few episodes i looked at are pretty meddling contrived sort of stuff ..

didn't play the battle front beta - that up for much longer ? work in a few hours so il most likely miss out

hirokazu

Hmm... I was nodding in and out of sleep for the entire film because I as completely knackered that day. I think I might've missed half of it all up, might have to go see it again. 😬

@reptilescorpio have you watched pac man ghostly adventures ? im sure theres some Gems in there but the first few episodes i looked at are pretty meddling contrived sort of stuff ..

Yeah it ain't good at all. Son dropped off it quick, like you said they have a few self aware nuggets here and there like Sonic Boom but 95% is bland and boring.

Son is OBSESSED with Dan TDM right now. Happy for him to be into Minecraft related stuff. Recently got an iPad for his birthday and is doing amazing things in it. Made a world full of rollercoasters that blew us away. I can't even control the fucking game on mobile let along create cool shit in it.

Yeah it ain't good at all. Son dropped off it quick, like you said they have a few self aware nuggets here and there like Sonic Boom but 95% is bland and boring.

Son is OBSESSED with Dan TDM right now. Happy for him to be into Minecraft related stuff. Recently got an iPad for his birthday and is doing amazing things in it. Made a world full of rollercoasters that blew us away. I can't even control the fucking game on mobile let along create cool shit in it.

Dan TDM ? lol just make sure to Steer him Clear of " some of those minecraft youtubers"

lol well if he stuck with sonic Boom you would have continue on right :p

on the subject of animation the filmations ghost busters is probably worth mentioning since its also kind of Self aware

and the likes of count Duckula ?

try and dig in to Biker mice from Mars again if you get a Chance :)

Dan TDM ? lol just make sure to Steer him Clear of " some of those minecraft youtubers"

lol well if he stuck with sonic Boom you would have continue on right :p

on the subject of animation the filmations ghost busters is probably worth mentioning since its also kind of Self aware

and the likes of count Duckula ?

try and dig in to Biker mice from Mars again if you get a Chance :)
My 4yo son loves YouTube vids of other kids playing with toys. I don’t understand why.

Also, he has somehow stumbled upon Nintendo’s official YT channel. I caught him watching an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto before dinner last night. Also, the Treehouse E3 coverage, which is fine, I guess, but it seems a little odd to me.

At least with Nintendo’s media people, I can be certain that the hosts are going to be nice to each other, use clean language and not suddenly blurt out that they think black people are inferior or something.

I saw a couple of AusGAFers on GT Sport last night, how did you guys find it? I mostly did the licence stuff, and didn't jump into an online race until the early hours (about 1:30 AM).

Sadly I was the only person from our region in the race, everyone else was from Hong Kong, Korea, and Japan. That said, the netcode was flawless, even with a 24 car grid and the nearest person being 7,500km away: no lag, teleporting, etc., everything worked well. Wasn't expecting that TBH.

Bernbaum

My 4yo son loves YouTube vids of other kids playing with toys. I don’t understand why.

Also, he has somehow stumbled upon Nintendo’s official YT channel. I caught him watching an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto before dinner last night. Also, the Treehouse E3 coverage, which is fine, I guess, but it seems a little odd to me.

At least with Nintendo’s media people, I can be certain that the hosts are going to be nice to each other, use clean language and not suddenly blurt out that they think black people are inferior or something.
Countdown until your son stumbles upon PewDiePie, Notch or Jon Tron and starts reciting Mein Kampf at the dinner table.

I saw a couple of AusGAFers on GT Sport last night, how did you guys find it? I mostly did the licence stuff, and didn't jump into an online race until the early hours (about 1:30 AM).

Sadly I was the only person from our region in the race, everyone else was from Hong Kong, Korea, and Japan. That said, the netcode was flawless, even with a 24 car grid and the nearest person being 7,500km away: no lag, teleporting, etc., everything worked well. Wasn't expecting that TBH.
Yeah it's surprisingly fantastic. Wasn't feeling GT5or6 but Sport is really well packaged and took just the right stuff from GaaS.

Fredescu

Countdown until your son stumbles upon PewDiePie, Notch or Jon Tron and starts reciting Mein Kampf at the dinner table.
The day my son stumbled on a pewdiepie video was the day I discovered that the restricted mode setting doesn't follow your account, unlike literally everything else. You have to enable it on every device. Oh but you can use YouTube kids, with mandatory ads and no Windows support. Fuck Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom