• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

jgminto

Hey AusGAF, what's up?

About ozgameshop and MK will Customs still take it if they can find it? A friend got a copy but I heard on the webs you could be fined. I'll probably just hope and pray for an Ultimate edition post R rating anyway.

Shaneus said:
Been up there for about a month now. I think they only took it down for the first few weeks of release. Tempted to pick it up but will wait for the $30 mark, I suck at fighting games that aren't Soul Blade. :(

jgminto said:
About ozgameshop and MK will Customs still take it if they can find it? A friend got a copy but I heard on the webs you could be fined. I'll probably just hope and pray for an Ultimate edition post R rating anyway.
If they are on the ball with the list of banned stuff they might pull it out. Then again it means your package has to be set aside for customs to open it, and then it is dependant on whether the customs officer gives a shit about a video game. If they take the game you will get a letter in the mail as a warning, there was talk about people getting fined but I haven't heard of anyone getting an actual fine yet. Probably only people who order 10 copies to sell would get fined. I've imported games like Risen in the past and never had them opened. The fact that it is still illegal to import but would now pass classification as 18+ might have made it even less likely that you would get a fine.

Clipper

ClivePwned said:
So please enlighten me.

If i have a local 3ds, can i buy games from the UK?

Also from which countries can i buy an XBL subs?

I feel Child of eden for kinect incoming...
Yes on 3DS. No idea on XBL.

Edit: Opps, missed a page of posts :(.

reptilescorpio said:
The open world possibilities of Deus Ex 3!
Also PS Move pack for like $40!!! Move out !!!
Windows 7 for $30 if you have a .edu email address.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people loved ODST. I just didn't think it was all that great, I would even rate Halo 3 as more worthwhile to play through. It had some annoying points of difficulty and what it did different I don't think worked because they couldn't change the gameplay system enough since it was an expansion pack rather than built from the ground up. It just felt really awkward from start to finish for me.

I quite liked ODST but I thought 3 was better. I've never really got the hate GAF shows for 3. I think I can safely say I've played more halo 3 multiplayer than any other game in the last ten years.

Tpg isn't getting my internet set up till next Monday. I'm getting pretty over using mobile websites for everything. Might use the chance to send off my Xbox for repairs. Any ideas how much a red ringed Xbox out of warranty costs to get fixed these days?

FallbackPants said:
Might use the chance to send off my Xbox for repairs. Any ideas how much a red ringed Xbox out of warranty costs to get fixed these days?
I knew a place in Geelong that would do it for about $50 (included installing a mod chip though which I had no interest in). I would be surprised if MS charged more than $100 or so. ONce my 360 RROD for the 3rd time I chucked it in the shed and traded my Wii in for an Arcade unit when EB where running them out as the S were coming in. A new 360 now is around $250 which is nice, might grab one eventually so it looks nice sitting next to the PS3 and black LG Plasma. Give the customer support line a call and they can tell you how much it would be off the top of their head since it has happened so often.

Ventron

On Friday, I was debating whether or not to buy stock in BHP as the price went down. In the end, I decided to just wait it out.

And what happens?

BHP BILLITON will reveal this week that is has ridden the global commodities boom to record the biggest profit ever made by a mining company.

The Australian-based mining giant is set to unveil full-year earnings of $US22.1 billion, well ahead of its previous record in 2008, when commodity prices peaked before the recession sent them falling.

Analysts expect the company to reward shareholders with an increase in the dividend of as much as 20 per cent.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-awash-with-cash/story-e6frg9df-1226119030904

brb, kicking myself.

Jintor

We've got a place, it's called ozgameshop, or zavvi, or steam

forgive me for assuming a six-post newbie whose only post in here was a link to a shop was advertising

Nemesis_

DeathJr said:
Check out 'Dungeon Crawl', it's an independent video game store in Melbourne CBD. They break street dates on all new releases, have the lowest prices and stock the rarest games.

http://www.dungeoncrawl.com.au/

Lowest prices?

w1PaB.jpg

I know about ozgamehsop, they take too long to deliver.

BTW I just found this thread....I rarely check the off-topic board.

I myself usually order from ebay, but again if you want a game @ launch, isn't it better to buy it for $69 from DC instead of $109 from EB? I'm talking console games here...PS3 and 360.

kase23

reptilescorpio said:
Never found their prices to be good to be honest. Usually even Big W are cheaper at release.

Importing is without a doubt the cheapest way to go.
The store is one of the nicer brick and mortar places to shop in melb but I have to agree with the prices never being anything special, I'd only stop in when I couldn't be arsed ordering from playasia since there DS range was pretty good and well stocked compared to the franchise places. Haven't been in since the release of DQV though, so alot could have changed.

Edit: Also got a copy of the Deus Ex:HR OST, no extended opening theme but its a beautifully sound scape rich score, only 3 days to go!

DeathJr said:

I myself usually order from ebay, but again if you want a game @ launch, isn't it better to buy it for $69 from DC instead of $109 from EB? I'm talking console games here...PS3 and 360.
At least in Geelong retailers are very competitive on launch day, I even picked up Black Ops for 80 bucks and traded it back in the next day for 120 because of the price wars between them, big w and jb hifi. Most new releases are 70-80 even before the current discounts of the month.

Actually Dick Smith have gotten competitive lately too. Their 3ds games have been cheapest in town

Nemesis_

DeathJr said:

Those prices are usually around during the ONE WEEK ONLY launch deals at the normal retailers (IE. KMart, Big W etc.) as well as JB (where I get staff discount thanks to a mate anyway).

Also, DC the actual store is not anywhere near me physically either. There's literally no reason to shop there for me.

Don't get me wrong, it really is one of the few independent stores left and it is a great setup but I honestly don't see much use for retail in the future and once the world economy adapts to shifting employment from retail into the growing logistical operations that grow out of direct selling to consumers everyone will be much happier. As it stands their prices are good for local retail, mainly because of the difference in overheads compared to the big franchises. Competition is good but EBgames et al are feeling the pinch from webstores as well.

In any case I notice that a lot of their bargains that I would pick up are imports anyway, with the origin of the import being even cheaper. I can see it being useful if you live just down the street from them and demand to have a game on Day One but for most people the prices don't beat other options.

reptilescorpio said:
I can see it being useful if you live just down the street from them and demand to have a game on Day One

Yeah that's what I meant. These guys are really cool, they give out free stuff, have competitions on FB and are more of a gaming community rather than simply being a store. I go there mainly for the experience.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
GuEoM.jpg

\

AN HONEST VICTORIAN.

they actually know that every other pub in your state is running a fucking statewide racket.

OPEN YOUR EYES VICTORIANS. YOU HAVE NEVER HAD A CHICKEN SCHNITZEL. ALL YOU EVER HAVE IS CRUMBED CHICKEN BREAST.

DeathJr said:
Don't we need it? It's about time...both Julia and Tony are incompetent idiots.
They are the only 2 choices... basically we need both parties to stop fucking around and make a go of it rather than the Libs trying to tear down the Labour government. Lets get some shit done rather than complaining about it.
Plain packaging? Why not. Pokie reform? Seems reasonable. Carbon tax? Not a bad short term idea, how about we get it in place and get an actual emissions manifesto together sooner rather than later.
The more we bitch and complain the longer it takes to get anywhere. In ten years time we will wonder why everything has deteriorated without anything to show for it.
Also people need to stop being so entitled. So what if you only earn $100,000 a year and can only afford one house? So what if you can't retire at 40. Start thinking about people other than yourselves. People are dying everyday and all we care about is how much more expensive our power bills will be.

Also Holy jump on the train down to Warrnambool and you can come around to Chicken Grill with me and have a Schintz. Next time I will take a damn picture of one for you.

I like Dungeon Crawl, it's only 2 blocks from my work and recently their prices are great. I think they get Xenoblade in store tomorrow for approx $65. ozgameshop is just a UK import site, prices are excellent but it can take up to 2 weeks to get the game.

Fix The Scientist said:
I think they get Xenoblade in store tomorrow for approx $65. ozgameshop is just a UK import site, prices are excellent but it can take up to 2 weeks to get the game.
Seems like Dungeon Crawl are a UK import store too. They have Xenoblade up for $60 (plus $9 postage) but it says "Full English Language Import Edition" and has the euro box art like most of the other games on their site. Is the physical store different to the website?

DeathJr said:
Did anyone check out the new MANA-bar on Brunswick st. in Fitzroy?
Apparently the lines are long and it is the happening place to be. No idea how much fun it is though, don't know anyone who has personally gone.

Hey AusGAF.

Anyone else on the super fast NBN yet?

I am - and I suggest you get on that shit ASAP.

I just wanted to brag about how fast my shit is

Here is the Telstra server speed test in Melbourne - it's actually faster than the rated 100Mb/s speed. I've managed to get a down speed of 117 before, but 115 is what I achieved today, I think that's a pretty sufficient example.

telstra_testo7k6.jpg

Here is a test of the Optus server in Melbourne using Speedtest.net which is only a little bit slower, but really not by much. It still shows pretty much the same speed.

optus_servero7l5.jpg

So here's my real world test result - I downloaded Track Mania Forever today, top speed was 6.8 MB/s, downloaded the over 700 MB file in less than 2 minutes. Amazing stuff right there.

Top speed of seen using this internet is over 10 MB/s in various circumstances but heck, that's hard to find.

tmnfi70q.png

It's also pretty amazing to become host in MW2 and have a ping of like 17 while everyone else is at minimum 50 or so. It's absolute host advantage rape time when that happens, I'm certain on their kill cam that they're dying before they even see me some times because often I see people and they die before getting even a shot off while playing like that. A bit unfair advantage, but it's fun for me :D Goes to the poor quality of the game's netcode IMO.

So I'm sure the question that's burning in everyone's pocket is - who am I with?

Telstra obv. It's Telstra Cable through their Ultimate Plan with 200Gb downloads. I pay only $79 a month for this plan, which includes phone line rental - it's an incredibly good deal and the internet is the best I've ever experienced, this is why I voted Labor this time, but never again - least I got what I wanted out of it.

DeathJr said:
It's fun if you like Halo. :p

Booze prices could be less though.
Heh, that is the main concern. The drinks menu for the Sydney one was insane. Well, I've never gone out sober in Melbourne before so I have no idea what standard prices are. We were spoilt for price in Geelong with all the competing venues. $2 Canadian Club & Dry bottles led to a lot of long nights at Room 99. Would prefer to get wasted with mates at home and play some random games if need be. Could be cool if they get exclusive game nights like Sydney did though. I would just want some sweet swag!

That is some nice internets. Glad I paid $69 for no contract. Doubt the NBN will be in Warrnambool any time soon anyway. ADSL2+ is more than fast enough for me right now anyway.

DeathJr said:
Nice speeds, though the 200GB cap is lame. I download more than that every week.

I'm with TPG, and their 20MBPS unlimited ADSL @ $59/month does the job for me.

Yeah... my next door neighbour has that unlimited plan... so any big downloading I want to do he just lets me jump on his Wireless and pound down on that... I've got pretty much the perfect internet setup here.

Axiom

When a company is doing a promotion and paying for the bar tab, all the issues of size and pricing at Mana Bar drift away

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Axiom said:
When a company is doing a promotion and paying for the bar tab, all the issues of size and pricing at Mana Bar drift away

do manabar actually sell NORMAL drinks?

I think they need to go one way or the other, Only sellcocktails and have a high turn over rate (ie people wont want to be there for more than an hour or two) or sell beers and shit and make it so unless you get in ur pretty much not going to, because they make no mention on their site if they actually sell beers or spirits

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Eh that's not NBN, It's just telstra cable which has a max speed of 100 if you're lucky.

Still super nice though.

I was about to jump on it maybe 1 year ago since iinet were behind the times in quota but a few weeks later they increased it, so i stuck with my shitty adsl :D

elfinke

ColonialRaptor said:
Hey AusGAF.

Anyone else on the super fast NBN yet?

Yep, had it for a month or more now at my workplace, lemmee dig up a speedtest result...

FKWaZ.jpg

It's brilliant, can't wait for the stage 2 rollout to finish so I can get it piped into my home with 'node.

Top Bottom