• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian investigation finds loot boxes are "psychologically akin to gambling".

sol_bad

Loot boxes make zero sense in an FPS game whether bought with real money or given as a prize at the end of a match. Everything should be unlockable via progress.

Iaterain

Seeing people defend loot boxes is disgusting. They are not good for consumers, period. Paid content is fine, but you should always know what you are paying for.
Don't worry, those are paid shills, not real people. They are getting paid a minimal wage to flood popular social media with misleading false propagandas.

I was reading what they were writing about lootobxes on neogaf. It was mostly: demonising government, demonising parents for lack of control, rebelling against the existing laws, comparing lootboxes with innocent trading cards and attempting to intimidate people with changes. Most of the things that they are saying doesn't make any sense, that is why paid shills aren't effective and easily detected.

The most competent people are investigating lootboxes all over the world and they all agree that it is a form of gambling, which mean, the companies like EA, don't have a license to sell gambling games, they are avoiding gambling tax and selling gambling games to underage.

brian0057

Banned
Don't worry, those are paid shills, not real people. They are getting paid a minimal wage to flood popular social media with misleading false propagandas.

I was reading what they were writing about lootobxes on neogaf. It was mostly: demonising government, demonising parents for lack of control, rebelling against the existing laws, comparing lootboxes with innocent trading cards and attempting to intimidate people with changes. Most of the things that they are saying doesn't make any sense, that is why paid shills aren't effective and easily detected.

The most competent people are investigating lootboxes all over the world and they all agree that it is a form of gambling, which mean, the companies like EA, don't have a license to sell gambling games, they are avoiding gambling tax and selling gambling games to underage.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha... Oh, man. Do you have a twitter account? Because I wanna follow you if everything you say is this funny.

BANGS

Banned
Seeing people defend loot boxes is disgusting. They are not good for consumers, period.
Seeing people defend government over reach and telling people what they can buy is disgusting, it's the most anti-consumer thing you can do is literally make it where people can't be consumers...

That meme is utter shite. I don't buy loot boxes but when they infest a game I have played for 20 years and whale's start buying them and twitchtv streamers spend $5k for the views and EA makes $700 million a year on the shit it's plagued a game I loved and ruined it, not just the online but the offline. Even games I loved like Gran Turismo started making it more of a grind to unlock cars but easy to buy them, so did Forza. It doesn't matter at this point if I don't buy them if other people dump thousands of dollars on the shit meaning my vote doesn't count. Anyone defending this shit is a contrarian shill with their foot in their mouth and their head up their asshole.

Even less than 1% of games is enough for anyone. It's not the point though. I wanted Battlefront 2 and the entire game was built around a shit system the first one didn't have. I didn't buy it. Fifa has gone to shit but Love football as much as I love gaming.
Your bitterness towards gaming in general moving away from your interests does not justify legal intervention. Just focus on buying games that do cater to you instead of shitting on everyone else's parade. The markets follow the money, and they want your money, and will make products you like in order to get it. You just seem bitter that not EVERY game was made with you in mind, boo hoo... there are plenty of amazing games to play both new and old that have no loot box mechanic at all...

Cool, good for you. Just don't let them play any sports games which gives them tons of free shitty packs so they can nag you for it. Then when they are older you can watch them struggle and ask you for money to pump through a poker machine.
Well... yeah. That's my point, that it's MY job to raise kids to be responsible adults. I'm not even sure what you're on about here...

BANGS your being very rude. He just said a game he wanted got ruined by loot boxes and your like "BOO HOO MANY OTHER GOOD GAMES BITCH"
Your not gonna convince anyone when all you do is shit on them.
I've told you we can't win this with out wallets, its not hard to understand why...
I've only ever bough one game with loot boxes and it was overwatch, only cause my friends wanted to play it with me.
The government regulates corporations to make sure they don't fuck over the consumer...don't like it ...boo hoo there's plenty of hobbies not ruined by government overreach.

RScrewed

hmz only 1% to get this skin i really want it so i can make my friends jealous.

1 dollar for 1 box.

Opens 20 boxes. ( because extra free box )

Shit i am so unlucky, still don't go the skin god dam it. Now i blew 20 bucks and have nothing to show for it other then useless trash.

Fak it i will just buy another 20 boxes as i get 2 boxes for free then, i can't be unlucky twice.

Opens 20 boxes ( still nothing )

Again unlucky, now i already spend 40 bucks on it. god dam it, why am i so unlucky.

100 bucks later, still got nothing. But now i wasted 100 bucks and got nothing to show for it, i need to keep going now as i atleast need to have the skin to validate my money spending.

And tada you got your typical gambling addition right there.

I saw people open 100's of boxes, spend's 10k euro's on random chances in games to get something out of it and get nothing as result and couldn't stop because they wouldn't have anything to show for it. those trash junk you get out of it has zero mental value to these people and can be just seen as trash entirely.

You have zero idea on how damaging gambling can be, and what a shit hole it can become. I was in a guild on ragnarok online that was decked out with girls that blew there whole paychecks on the game just to get a chance to get enchants on there weapons and skins that most of the time didn't happen until they plumped in 1000's of bucks.

I specifically remembered this girl always having the " rare skin new head gear" and asked at some point she needed some ingame money if i could sell some ingame items she had on her account. She gave me 150 items that you only get 1 of out of 100 buck box. I was honestly shocked and then you heard her brother on the background yelling at her when he would get his 1500 bucks back she loaned the day before the new head gear came out. ( guess where that money went ).

After spending insane amounts of money on those accounts, they all got banned soon after because EU law was not something in the best interest for the company so they ended up banning all EU people that played the game which resulted in massive anger to the point of some girls actually where going the extra step try to find out where these people lived in real life. Because they felt like there whole world was destroyed and the only thing they had left was pure anger, because there whole life got destroyed as they lived through the game.

Gambling and online gaming addictions are real. Some people live in games as its there real life and getting the best and shiny hat can put them in the hole massively when company's go the extra mile in trying to exploit them.

I think random chance items / skins or whatever in games should never be allowed. They should sell you the item straight away or not at all.

You want that skin? thats 25 bucks and not 1% chance on a drop.

I even loaned at some point to a guy i know 200 bucks, just to realize he gambled it away on a god dam skin that he never got. I didn't asked the money back and just said it was a gift to not damage our friendship as the dude as already in a hell hole of dept in general and i would never get it back anyway.

And these people where not kids they where 30-40 year olds, imagine a kid that works at a god dam store for barely any money and blows it in 10 seconds on boxes and get nothing out of it. Just to work more so he blows it again in order for the hope to get more lucky next time and fixes the damage he caused mentally towards himself.

Real money gambling for rewards in a game is ridiculous and unacceptable on any level and that's exactly what they do.

I see you missed the entire main idea of my post and went on about some rant about gambling.

Just, please. Read the entire post. I'm not defending lootboxes. I'm not defending gambling, even. Just really try to understand what I'm trying to say.

At the root of the issue is a political debate, not a gaming one.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
BANGS your being very rude. He just said a game he wanted got ruined by loot boxes and your like "BOO HOO MANY OTHER GOOD GAMES BITCH"
Your not gonna convince anyone when all you do is shit on them.
I've told you we can't win this with out wallets, its not hard to understand why...
I've only ever bough one game with loot boxes and it was overwatch, only cause my friends wanted to play it with me.
The government regulates corporations to make sure they don't fuck over the consumer...don't like it ...boo hoo there's plenty of hobbies not ruined by government overreach.
I was only rude to him for obvious reasons, read his post again and that reason will be clear...

Again, no you will never be able to completely get rid of lootboxes with your money, but you can easily support the release of non-lootbox games with your money. This is a solid fact that can't be disputed...

Corporations aren't fucking over their customers by providing products some people like and some people don't. That's a horrible argument...

And personally, I don't care if the government gets rid of lootboxes from a gamer's perspective as I don't like them either, but I don't think it's right nor do I think it will end there...

BANGS you do understand what whales are?
They are a small minority who spend the vast majority on loot boxes.
They are why we are here right now and why more and more and more games get loot boxes each year.
If it was the majority that was fine with this I'd understand your point.
Also each micro transaction game numbs more and more games who would not buy the games to buying them cause they gave up by this point.
The time we could fight with our wallets is closing in on its end.

Edit: and yes he was being rude too but an eye for an eye

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
BANGS you do understand what whales are?
They are a small minority who spend the vast majority on loot boxes.
They are why we are here right now and why more and more and more games get loot boxes each year.
If it was the majority that was fine with this I'd understand your point.
Also each micro transaction game numbs more and more games who would not buy the games to buying them cause they gave up by this point.
The time we could fight with our wallets is closing in on its end.
Again, if your goal is to rid the world of lootboxes, you will lose that fight. This industry is big enough for people who like lootboxes and people who don't. You sound just like the other guy, bitter that not every game caters to you. There are plenty of games that do cater to you. Stop being selfish...

And again, even if I was dead wrong and within a few short years every video game ever made is lootbox garbage, that still doesn't justify government intervention...

Last edited:

Petrae

Everyone’s afraid of “big, bad government” yet nobody gives shit to the video game industry, which willfully opened the door to governmental interference by refusing to police/regulate itself.

This is the video game industry’s fault— full stop. We can bitch all we want about fear of governmental overreach, but the truth is that the industry had a fair amount of time to put the brakes on a bit and reassess where it was going with the loot box craze. Nothing happened until after Star Wars Battlefront II, which was the tipping point— consumers rebelled, governments took notice, and now the entire industry is under (just) scrutiny.

I cheer for this not because I want governmental involvement, but because the video game industry on the whole needs a good smackdown as success has gone to its head and it feels invincible.

BANGS

Banned
Everyone’s afraid of “big, bad government” yet nobody gives shit to the video game industry, which willfully opened the door to governmental interference by refusing to police/regulate itself.

This is the video game industry’s fault— full stop. We can bitch all we want about fear of governmental overreach, but the truth is that the industry had a fair amount of time to put the brakes on a bit and reassess where it was going with the loot box craze. Nothing happened until after Star Wars Battlefront II, which was the tipping point— consumers rebelled, governments took notice, and now the entire industry is under (just) scrutiny.

I cheer for this not because I want governmental involvement, but because the video game industry on the whole needs a good smackdown as success has gone to its head and it feels invincible.
Nobody gave a shit because we could always just not buy games that have lootboxes, we can't just not have a government that may fuck the entire industry up...

Top Bottom