• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I know a lot of people like to hate on Polygon Pictures because of CGI and stuff. However, Knights of Sidonia didn't look half bad and the space battles were pretty great. Other than the frame rate it didn't look bad and before you say the characters designs look bad because of sameface.

I liked the look myself. Just took me a little while for me to get used to it. Which I did unlike Ping Pong and Aku no hana. I guess because it was interesting unlike those.

Just T

Towa no Quon-1

This was an entertaining start. The premise isn’t unique at all, a group of super humans or mutants whichever you want to call them hiding out from a bigger group trying to capture them, seen it plenty of times. The characters are alright so far, interesting powers. Thought Miu couldn’t talk for a second though; prefer the talking instead of the beeps or peeps. The animation was really good, enjoyed the fights a lot and there was some nice music in the background.

So I’m in for the second episode to see where this goes from here.

blurr

I accidentally watched the last season of Natsume book of Friends thinking it was the first, still made sense and I loved it.

Crocodile

Anyone who knows me knows that I don't expect or want all works of fiction to be grounded character dramas.

Intellect and emotion are inextricably linked in both my own art and in my experience of others' art.

To be clear I'm not arguing for a perspective of "turn you brain off" or anything of the sort. I think that is a stupid argument often used to try to deflect criticisms of a work or used by those unable to defend material they enjoy but who still care about others opinion of said work. What I mean is that I've often seen people be dismissive of works simply because they thought they didn't have "anything to say" (regardless of how accurate or inaccurate that subjective assessment may be). It feels a bit like "missing the point" especially for something like anime which, like film, is very much an audiovisual medium and thus has value and can invoke strong emotions without words or specific narratives.

duckroll

You don't need words or narratives to have something to say. When I feel that a work has nothing to say at all and have a negative impression of it because of that, it is because the work is completely hollow. Art is about expression, you can express themes, emotions, and thoughts through many forms. Music videos, even instrumental ones, can have a lot to say. It doesn't need to be a story with dialogue or a strict narrative. But it needs to at least try to want to say -something-.

March Comes in Like a Lion staff:
Director(not chief director): Shinbo Akiyuki
Studio: SHAFT

NHK show.
3effxSd.jpg

duckroll

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2016 is already off to a terrible start. :(

blurr

you have my attention

You don't need words or narratives to have something to say. When I feel that a work has nothing to say at all and have a negative impression of it because of that, it is because the work is completely hollow. Art is about expression, you can express themes, emotions, and thoughts through many forms. Music videos, even instrumental ones, can have a lot to say. It doesn't need to be a story with dialogue or a strict narrative. But it needs to at least try to want to say -something-.

Agreed.

Hey, I don't mind Shinbo/Shaft if the people working under him take this seriously. The studio can do good work. I'd rather that than the mediocre staff and studios NHK has been using for recent shows such as Log Horizon and Baby Steps.

Sandfox

Hey, I don't mind Shinbo/Shaft if the people working under him take this seriously. The studio can do good work. I'd rather that than the mediocre staff and studios NHK has been using for recent shows such as Log Horizon and Baby Steps.
Given the station those two aired on I would think they are exceptions.

Jarmel

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2016 is already off to a terrible start. :(

You don't need words or narratives to have something to say.

Welp.

lol

To be clear I'm not arguing for a perspective of "turn you brain off" or anything of the sort. I think that is a stupid argument often used to try to deflect criticisms of a work or used by those unable to defend material they enjoy but who still care about others opinion of said work. What I mean is that I've often seen people be dismissive of works simply because they thought they didn't have "anything to say" (regardless of how accurate or inaccurate that subjective assessment may be). It feels a bit like "missing the point" especially for something like anime which, like film, is very much an audiovisual medium and thus has value and can invoke strong emotions without words or specific narratives.

I feel the same way. In fact, it's another reason why I plug TTGL a lot.

A lot of people seem to dismiss TTGL with comments like: "Oh, it's good if you like mindless action, it's good because it's so insane with it's scale, but Evangelion is obviously better because it's much more human and relatable, blah blah blah."

I'm not going to argue the fact that, objectively, Evangelion has better written characters and story than TTGL, no question about that. But what I often see mentioned, at least how I interpret it, in response is that Evangelion is profound in its storytelling while TTGL is not, which I find to be completely false.

TTGL I say really is profound. It puts tons of effort into saying about why humanity is good, why we're capable of great things, why we need to always think positive. It's not like it's ignorant. It knows of the bad things that exist and the bad things that will happen (Rossiu's dilemma, the spiral nemesis, etc). However, one of its major strengths comes from how it says we should continue to think positive in spite of those bad things.

Sure, other shows have made those sorts of argument before but none I believe, have made an effort to do it as much as TTGL has. I feel like it's unfair just seeing TTGL as just "overrated mindless mecha action". It tries so hard to make its message clear. It's a mecha show that does what a lot of mecha shows, or even a lot of anime in general nowadays don't do that much anymore.

It tries to make you feel good about yourself, and who you are as a human being.

So many shows are drenched in cynicism, so many shows do so much to show how evil some people are, how wrong some things are, how there's just so much pain and sadness in the world. And I won't be ignorant and say that some of those shows like those aren't necessary or even unlikable. Like, I love both Madoka Magica and Kino's Journey and those shows have a lot of cynicism in them!

But those shows never forget to show the good as well as the bad. It's why I hate it when praise for something like Madoka Rebellion is given just because people deem it as a "fuck you" to the fans, and "they deserve to be betrayed", without caring about anything else about it. Like, really? That's why you enjoy a work? Because you think it deliberately insults people? Screw that shit.

But I'm getting off topic. Bottom line: Don't dismiss shows like TTGL because you think they're nothing but overhyped well-animated garbage. Take the time and look to see what a show is saying and how it's saying it before you really criticize it.

I'm guessing Shaft is a bad fit for the show?

March Comes in Like a Lion is a grounded character drama of the sort that Shaft has never really worked on before. The closest would probably be And Yet the Town Moves.

Anyway, since this is airing on NHK it'll be a daytime show aimed at mainstream audiences. The magazine page is cut off in that picture, but perhaps the "2" is indicating that it'll be 2-cour? That would fit NHK's M.O.

Clov

March Comes in Like a Lion is a grounded character drama of the sort that Shaft has never really worked on before. The closest would probably be And Yet the Town Moves.

Anyway, since this is airing on NHK it'll be a daytime show aimed at mainstream audiences. The magazine page is cut off in that picture, but perhaps the "2" is indicating that it'll be 2-cour? That would fit NHK's M.O.

Very interesting. Seems to me like it will be worth watching. What season is this airing in?

Line_HTX

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Iron-blooded Orphans, Hot-blooded Candy, Cold-blooded Ajin. I really struggled making this title coherent and short enough to fit.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Kiss-Mana TUSRola-Orion Shit-under-Post

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Phantasy Star Online 2, Finally out in the West

This is awesome, lol.

As for the last one, that's just an original storyline right? Hopefully it goes the way of Blade & Soul.

Oh-hohoho...

Clov

That hasn't been announced, but spring seems likely at this point.

Looking forward to it!

I'm going to wait for some more info before getting all excited that Shinbo is actually directing this, though. Was he credited for storyboards for the recent Madoka concept movie, or did I imagine that? Would be neat if he really did return to directing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So Shirobako fans, it looks like the Shirbakos are now potential waifus in the waifu app.

A4EZ80L.png

I don't get how they decide to add things to this app. Shirobako just seems random given that it ended a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom