• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Ajin going to be good? I've been reading the manga on CR, but ti updates very slowly so I usually forget everything that's happening before the next chapter comes out...

It's interesting to me because of the main character's desire for survival and utter lack of empathy, but I'm not sure I've ever felt that actually come to fruition in any meaningful manner in the manga (barring one specific sequence of events). But, like I said, it updates so infrequently I can barely even tell what's happening anymore.

I don't know anything about the quality of the source material, but unfortunately the anime is being done by Polygon Pictures, who are sadly getting outclassed by so many other Japanese CG studios these days.

About Ajin, I thought it was going to be a three part movie like Kizu or Berserk, what is the TV series?

I think the TV series is a recut of the movies. It's kind of weird.

Russ T

Banned
Immediately after posting that I went to watch the PV and it's CG and now I'm just ):

I didn't realize there were movies before this.

At any rate, I guess now I care significantly less.

That's weird..so kind of like Dragon Ball Super?

Not exactly. Dragon Ball Super came a while after the two movies it draws from, and it's reanimating and rewriting those movies in addition to having a lot of new material. The Ajin TV series is airing after the first movie but before the second and third, and it's seems like it'll be using the same material the movies do. Not really sure what's going on there.

I looked up some info on Infinite Stratos today.

That show is either about exoskeletons and the dangers that come with one society having a technological edge over another, or girls dressing up as cats and dogs and mewling for dick.

I'll have to investigate further to find the truth.

To put it another way, I'll quote from a genius of our time, my mind is telling me no, but my body, my body is telling me yes.

That show is either about exoskeletons and the dangers that come with one society having a technological edge over another, or girls dressing up as cats and dogs and mewling for dick.

To put it another way, I'll quote from a genius of our time, my mind is telling me no, but my body, my body is telling yes.

If you're interested in Infinite Stratos, you can find some megafans of it in this community.

KazenY2J

To put it another way, I'll quote from a genius of our time, my mind is telling me no, but my body, my body is telling yes.
Watch it for Charlotte.

Russ T

Banned
I finished Space Brothers.

In the last ten episodes it managed to introduce one of the worst recent representations of a black man I've seen in anime for a while.

Holy shit.

He's Jamaican and says "Yah, man!" at least ten times in his debut episode. He has dreadlocks, and someone comments that he never washes his hair. Fuck. He says "hey I wash once every five days" or something like that. Not sure the exact number, but he basically agrees. Oof.

It actually cools off on that shit after two-ish episodes, and he becomes a more reasonable character, but man that was rough.

It's a shame that happened so late in the show that it really stuck with me. I like the show a lot overall. Especially after it changed slots to, I'm told, an older audience's time slot. They start introducing some actual real conflict, like PTSD, and fatal incurable diseases, and how people deal with these things. Maybe not with as much gravitas as these issues deserve, and also why the hell would NASA just throw their highly trained successful astronaut under the bus without even trying to provide therapy, I feel like that's wholly unrealistic...

Ahem. Okay so I have some issues. IT's not a perfect show. But it is light-hearted, it's fun, it has lovable characters, and it's incredibly inspirational. Or at least, I found it to be so. Watching Space Brothers made me feel like I could do anything I wanted to do. Of course, Nanba's basically a genius, even if he acts like a doofus and has bad luck, but I'm not a genius... but that's beside the point! Good fun show.

Yaaaaaay!

Cornbread78

To put it another way, I'll quote from a genius of our time, my mind is telling me no, but my body, my body is telling me yes.

It's enlightening and entertaining.

tumblr_mw83opMQMh1r5rnoxo1_500.gif

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| No more falling; now we're piling up

Infinite Stratos is the show we get when Varys from Game of Thrones stars in a harem.

And I don't mean it in the sense of anything but the castrated part.

Russ T

Banned
Also I started watching Natsume's Book of Friends on a whim.

I guess it's sorta like a more fun Mushishi, in a way? Clearly targeted at a younger audience, but also deals with the sort of extreme social awkwardness some of people experience, and the utter loneliness that comes with it. Of course, he has an excuse, because he sees freaky ass demons everywhere, but even so.

Not sure I really want to invest time for 52 episodes though. X:

Good thing you edited that, because that premise actually sounds like something people would want to watch.

I realized I made the show sound amazing but I couldn't think of a well known castrated person that was boring lol

I guess it's sorta like a more fun Mushishi, in a way? Clearly targeted at a younger audience, but also deals with the sort of extreme social awkwardness some of people experience, and the utter loneliness that comes with it. Of course, he has an excuse, because he sees freaky ass demons everywhere, but even so.

It's really good and sweet, but you need to watch it to see Natsume's character development and willingess to open himself up to others. It's heavily character driven. It gets heart breaking at points too.

Also fluffy fat cat I want to squish to death with hugs driven.

Cornbread78

Baka to Test S2 ep.6
There at I'll trying to find the secret photographer and hot done great hijinks trying to break into the girls bath so they could peep and find the scarred behind of the culprit. This stuff is so stupid, but so damn funny at the same time. Those scenes with him waking up next to Yuuji and Hideyoshi were hilarious. It's weird because you can't tell if the authentic is embracing homosexuality or mocking it. Either way, they made it good comedy.

Russ T

Banned
It's really good and sweet, but you need to watch it to see Natsume's character development and willingess to open himself up to others. It's heavily character driven. It gets heart breaking at points too.

Also fluffy fat cat I want to squish to death with hugs driven.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. It felt sort of monster-of-the-week-ish, and I wanted to be sure it wasn't JUST that. I will definitely keep watching, then. :D

Also, yes, best cat. <3

(I'm 10 episodes in, at the moment.)

Just T

Binged watched that earlier last year, didn't feel that special at first but as it went along I started to enjoy it a lot. Saw a lot of comparisons to Mushishi but it felt really different in the tone and all. Like you said a bit more fun feeling to it, though it does have many serious moments in regards to the youkai and Natsume himself.

Hope you enjoy the rest.

BGBW better get the Winter thread up soon; the season starts in less than 12 hours with Prince of Stride Alternative!

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. It felt sort of monster-of-the-week-ish, and I wanted to be sure it wasn't JUST that. I will definitely keep watching, then. :D

Also, yes, best cat. <3

Unfortunately, while the episodic stories of Natsume's Book of Friends are usually great, the non-episodic stories, which show up with greater frequency as the series goes on, are usually not.

Also, yes, best cat. <3

quality of the episodes is overall pretty good imho, though there are weak ones. I feel the strong episodic episodes/arcs are enough to carry the whole show and they largely outweigh the bad. Stick with it a bit more and see if you really want to watch more. I know that season 1 wasn't my favorite.

I know a lot of people like to hate on Polygon Pictures because of CGI and stuff. However, Knights of Sidonia didn't look half bad and the space battles were pretty great. Other than the frame rate it didn't look bad and before you say the characters designs look bad because of sameface. That issue primarily comes from the author Nihei not being able to draw human faces real well in Sidonia manga. Although his art other than Human faces is really amazing especially in Blame.

Plus if I'm not mistaken, Polygon Pictures have animated some episodes from Star Wars the Clones Wars TV series and that show looked great.

I know a lot of people like to hate on Polygon Pictures because of CGI and stuff. However, Knights of Sidonia didn't look half bad and the space battles were pretty great. Other than the frame rate it didn't look bad and before you say the characters designs look bad because of sameface. That issue comes from the author Nihei not being able to draw human faces real well in Sidonia manga. Although his art other than Human faces is really amazing especially in Blame.

Plus if I'm not mistaken, Polygon Pictures have animated some episodes from Star Wars the Clones Wars TV series and that show looked great.

I really liked Polygon Pictures once upon a time. Their work on Tron Uprising is very strong. I was really looking forward to Knights of Sidonia when it got announced. Then it came out, and it was a big disappointment in terms of visuals. One of the greatest tragedies in the last several years of the anime industry.

Mokoi

Banned
Macross Delta

Just me or cgi worse than frontier. I aint got nothing against idols but eh aint feeling this. Will watch come april for that mecha tho.

I really liked Polygon Pictures once upon a time. Their work on Tron Uprising is very strong. I was really looking forward to Knights of Sidonia when it got announced. Then it came out, and it was a big disappointment in terms of visuals. One of the greatest tragedies in the last several years of the anime industry.

Maybe different staff or something.

You're right, it was fully bad.

You're being too harsh dammnit.

who do you blame in that scenario though? Because Ronja looked fantastic from what I recall.

Narag

I mean, it's not like his persona changes, he just has a few instances (in appropriate situations) where he shows off a bit more forceful behaviour, if I were to call it that. I'd say it makes him more human if anything.

Oh that's not so bad. That mellow tone in the first season was such a great little character quirk as it gave him a calm air of experience.

You know, terrible visuals were fitting for an the already terrible show that Sidonia was.

Oh that's not so bad. That mellow tone in the first season was such a great little character quirk as it gave him a calm air of experience.

I quite liked the slightly more relatable Ginko. Or maybe I was just fond of seeing him do a straight face every now and then :|

Russ T

Banned
My issue with season two of Mushishi, and I know some people disagree with me, is that it feels like Ginko doesn't try as hard as he did in the first season to save the mushi. He's... less sympathetic to them.

It's been too long since I've seen it for me to be able to go into more detail than that, and the second season still has some really strong episodes, but I definitely feel like it was weaker than the first.

My issue is that I didn't really like the last movie and ending to the series much. I loved the second season and gobbled it up like no one's business but that final chapter? Meh.

Maybe different staff or something.

No, not different staff actually.

who do you blame in that scenario though? Because Ronja looked fantastic from what I recall.

I wouldn't exactly say the CG in Ronja looks fantastic, but it has a smooth framerate and is buoyed by colorful, attractive art direction. The thing to blame for Polygon's work in Sidonia and Ajin is deliberate aesthetic decisions made, I can only assume, because they believe that a Japanese late-night anime audience wants a certain look out of what they watch.

Russ T

Banned
My issue is that I didn't really like the last movie and ending to the series much. I loved the second season and gobbled it up like no one's business but that final chapter? Meh.

Wait was there a movie after the second season concluded? I know there was that one in between seasons.

Narag

Might start the slow process of the second season since I knocked out that ova. god knows it's not a show i can consume quickly.

Cornbread78

Baka to Test S2 ep.7
Holy shit, the ending to this camp arc was epic. What a great battle with the girls and teachers. "BALL Buster!" Holy shit that was good stuff. The show continues to be plot less outside if these little arcs, but goddamn is it funny stuff.

Jaxec

Neon Gensis Evangelion 3-6

This has been an enjoyable watch so far. I'm really liking Shinji and now wonder why I've seen so many comments online hating on the guy. I can't understand why anyone would call him weak or annoying, especially when he didn't ask for any of the shit he's been through and continues to fight against the Angels. I look forward to seeing more of Shinji's development and hope he somehow finds some form of happiness.

Another thing I wanted to mention was the OP. I'm in love with it and can't stop listening to it.

Lastly, I still hate Gendo. Screw this guy. I hope all his plans fail.

Mature

This has been an enjoyable watch so far. I'm really liking Shinji and now wonder why I've seen so many comments online hating on the guy. I can't understand why anyone would call him weak or annoying, especially when he didn't ask for any of the shit he's been through and continues to fight against the Angels. I look forward to seeing more of Shinji's development and hope he somehow finds some form of happiness.

Another thing I wanted to mention was the OP. I'm in love with it and can't stop listening to it.

I never understood it either.

duckroll

I must confess I am not familiar with those, and from the way it sounds, I shouldn't try to become so.

Vandread has the dubious honor of being one of those legendary early digital shows where standards didn't exist at Gonzo. So it was a widescreen format show which was apparently produced and mastered at 4:3 with letterboxing. None of the DVDs to my knowledge are anamorphic. The Gundam SEED Special Editions were the same way, but at least that had the excuse of originally being 4:3 TV footage which was cropped to be more "cinematic". Lol.

ibyea

Banned

Yeah I don't get it either. At least there is one good constant in people's opinion, everyone agrees what a shitty person Gendo is.

Infinite Stratos is a gift to the world.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Recutting movies/OVAs for television seems like a relatively new phenomenon in anime. GitS: Arise and Break Blade spring to mind as prominent examples. Have there been any examples that have actually resulted in a superior product due to the addition of extra scenes, different editing, etc?

duckroll

Someone should try recutting Lord of the Rings Extended Edition into a TV series. I bet you can get 10-12 episodes out of it.

Quasar

I prefer it over Mushishi. I actually enjoyed this one. Well thats not quite what I mean. I found it much more fun and engaging. Mushishi was more like umm...eating vegetables.

Wish I could have more seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom