• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
hCKZr6B.png

3m7ktUK.png

FDbqmik.png
Is this scene supposed to be weird?

javac

I just got back from watching Your Name and I thought that I'd try to articulate some of my feelings and impressions on the film before going to sleep whilst everything is still fresh. I've never really cared for the animation and visuals that embellish Shinkai's films and although this is unmistakably a Shinkai film, from the close-ups of phone screens to the in-world representations of real establishments like Starbucks and of course the shots of raindrops ricocheting off of the pavement and characters staring at their own reflections on the train window as the world passes them by are common place here, Your Name however is easily his most refined. A bevy of dynamic camera perspectives are utilized with the camera panning and swooping in some beautiful segments that add a level of depth to the images that you're seeing on screen that make them and the world that much more palpable. These scenes are effective in adding a sense of physicality to the world. It's a gorgeous film; everything is soft and welcoming but detailed. It's obvious that a lot of care has gone into each frame and I have no qualms with the visual aesthetic of this film.

Shinkai has always loved showing the audience just how beautiful his worlds are, focusing on background objects, the canvas caresses even the minutest of details, almost boasting at how detailed everything is. Here however it feels a lot more appropriate, in part due to the fact that at 107 minutes Your Name is a lot longer than his other features, only being topped by “Children Who Chase” in run-time. What this added run-time does is allows for those moments to work like pillow shots, visual representations of punctuation allowing the viewer to both breathe in and appreciate the atmosphere and thus making the world and its characters that much more tangible. The main character ties her hair, the camera cuts to a succulent dish on the table, characters chatter in the background, for those 107 minutes the lines blur and you feel as if this world is real. Cutting back and forth from countryside to Tokyo allows for a diversity of environments and styles. The countryside is full of gorgeous vegetation, sparse in contemporary establishments but littered in culture, the city is bustling with vehicles and crowds interacting with one another. You’re never tired of looking at this film and it’s easily the highlight. Colors pop, character designs are attractive and the post processing effects are tasteful and never feel gaudy.

In contrast I don't really remember much about the soundtrack outside of the contemporary pop tracks that are usually paired with small quirky vignettes that litter the film. They do the job and are both fun and lively and match the tone of the film.

Like many of Shinkai’s films Your Name requires a level of make believe and a suspension of disbelief. You’re never quite sure if something happening on screen is otherworldly or if it’s just allegorical to something real. This has you questioning whether or not the events on screen are fantastical and so when the answer is given you can feel a little in the deep end. In hindsight I will say that although the film has parallels on which it’s drawing to the real world, allegories and metaphors, the film plays its straight, embracing the make believe nature of what’s ensuing on screen and it’s something that I can appreciate and a reason why this film resonated with so many people. This is animation after all, the world of imagination. People often come to the cinema in order to escape and the world within Your Name is one in which I felt happy to be in. The story isn’t deep but the different threads are interwoven nicely.

Your Name is a film that juggles its emotional elements handily, and although a lot of the humorous moments are repeated it never fails to lose its charm, in part due to how pleasant the characters are to be around. You jump back and forth between the two main characters but I still felt a connection to the both of them due to the fantastic world building, the aspect in which I attribute the huge level of success that this film has found with and the reason why I believe the film to have captivated so many people. Your Name is a fun, light-hearted film that manages to feel mature and refined even amongst its make believe plot. Beautiful to look at and fun to be in.

Dragon Ball Super 67

Man, this is a weird ending to this arc.

I'm not sure if this even counts as a win.

That final scene with future Trunks and Gohan was great though.

javac

The cinema that I watched Your Name at was awesome, leather reclining leather seats! Ample arm and leg room, I never knew such a thing was possible. Was worried because when I booked my seats it looks like a really small auditorium but actually everything was just really spaced out which was perfect.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tale ep.67
Yes Natsu, release the power of the dragon and make Igneel proud! Awesome scene right there as they did what they came to do. That was truly "power of friendship" but alas, it also revealed Natsu's final form and ut was glorious. That flashback, rise from the land of the dead and that final attack were great! This is why I like the show, other than being pretty funny at times.

That ending though.... looks like the arc isn't quite done yet.

Sound Euphonium S2 4

This is some wildly petty high school girl drama. Really, really, really, really good production though.

As a musician, I'm not fond of the "(lame) personal trauma keeps me from playing with emotion; resolve that and suddenly I'm super expressive" plot point. There's some truth there, that psychological hangups can interfere with your musicianship, but it's not so straightforward as portrayed here. It's more a general approach to music and stage performance thing, nothing like seen here. They should have just kept Mizore's playing out of the picture, because that's the first really inauthentic detail in this series' portrayal of musicians that bothers me.

Higashida, why did you even go there. Brain damage due to all that poisoned chocolate?

Higashida came into the restaurant broken because of his family, now he is at a point that he is as bad, if not worse, than the workers in there LOL. Saiki is the only pure soul left.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam: The Origin IV-
The big thing is that they actually explain why Amuro was so good the moment he got into the Gundam. Holy shit this is a gamechanger. Overall this was an okay episode as the big focus on the mobile suit battle and I felt that was pretty flat, obviously because it was supposed to be a massacre. I really enjoyed the Char and Lala scenes and wished there was more of an emphasis on their relationship rather than the political aspect. On the visual side I thought this was probably the worst episode but it wasn't awful looking but rather the backgrounds just were mediocre at best.
I loved this shot as Char's physical presence in the frame literally grows, as a way of visually showing his dominance over the man. It's solid storyboarding and a good way of using the frame to your advantage.

Oh and the theme song is flat out amazing. The credits might have been my favorite thing as a result. lol

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 8:

I love this show so much. While I think Astora remains the weakest member of the cast, this episode gave him some additional stuff that was pretty good, and his interactions with Eri were pretty funny. I loved how Eri completely didn't get any of the Youtuber humor at all. The character work in this show is remaining good, and the production has been keeping up fairly well. The music in particular is pretty much always good.

That scene with Mienumon at the end seems to be setting up some bigger plot stuff happening quite soon now that we've introduced the main cast. It doesn't look like that will be coming next episode, although the preview looks a ton of fun, but I imagine that Episode 10 will probably kick off things in a bigger way. I'm finding this show to be something I really look forward to every week. The staff has really been rising to the occasion.

trejo

I like how trejo thinks that I of all people can be trolled, as if I would watch something I didn't want to. Maybe if he had friends he could trust he too would understand the bond the animegaf cabal shares.

Is this bullying?
allmyfriendsaredead.jpg :(

My bond of friendship with animegaf ended when we lost drforester to ponygaf.

blurr

If he liked Iroha definitely watch the newest OVA.

and if he likes NTR

Sound Euphonium S2 4

This is some wildly petty high school girl drama. Really, really, really, really good production though.

As a musician, I'm not fond of the "(lame) personal trauma keeps me from playing with emotion; resolve that and suddenly I'm super expressive" plot point. There's some truth there, that psychological hangups can interfere with your musicianship, but it's not so straightforward as portrayed here. It's more a general approach to music and stage performance thing, nothing like seen here. They should have just kept Mizore's playing out of the picture, because that's the first really inauthentic detail in this series' portrayal of musicians that bothers me.

Yea, it pretty much draws clear/direct lines of conflict and resolution for that character, there's some truth to it but reality is more complex. By "keeping Mizore playing out of the picture" I suppose the drama would feel out of place in the show's theme and narrative, it already does despite the relation they drew. I wish this was more of a subplot tying in with something on a larger scale than on its own.

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 21

I think this episode did a really good job of handling the development and progression of relationships between characters in a way that didn't feel rushed or phoned in. Some of it was awkward, some of it was cute, and some of it was heartwarming, just like the characters who are in these relationships. The end of the episode is the first time in the series were I felt I really wanted to know what happens next, and that I actually care about what the show is trying to do.

Now I will simulate the one week wait broadcast viewers experienced, by taking a dump before watching the next episode. :p

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 21

I think this episode did a really good job of handling the development and progression of relationships between characters in a way that didn't feel rushed or phoned in. Some of it was awkward, some of it was cute, and some of it was heartwarming, just like the characters who are in these relationships. The end of the episode is the first time in the series were I felt I really wanted to know what happens next, and that I actually care about what the show is trying to do.

Now I will simulate the one week wait broadcast viewers experienced, by taking a dump before watching the next episode. :p

Oh boy, I remember when I first got to the final 6 episodes. Non-stop happenings that I couldn't not finish it all at once.

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 24

This episode is noteworthy because the two short action scenes in it are the only time so far in 24 episodes of this show where it didn't look like ass. Instead of mechs just standing around and firing shit or hugging each other or blowing up, it actually looked like they tried to have action animation and succeeded! This is also the only episode where the character animation actually had subtle details to them, moving fabric animation, and close ups of faces had extra details and dimension. Too bad all the character art is still ass because they wanted to be consistent with the style of the series including the hilariously ugly emotion lines on everyone's faces. Lolz.

Storywise I guess this sets up the finale nicely after two episodes of Mega Rekt. Some of it does feel like a big of a Deus Ex Machina though. Too easy, too simple, too clean. Hope the last two episodes are a total clusterfuck for everyone, since they haven't really earned a clean victory.

---------------

This scene from ep22 will forever be the most memorable scene in all of Fafner S1 for me:

Jex

[Girlish Number ] - 7

Huh, so the events of the last episode (a.k.a. the photo shoot) have actual, important consequences for the characters in the show. Who would have thought it? The writing in the show continues to surpass my expectations (which were admittedly very low).

(Meanwhile the endcard of the episode is a cheesekae shot of Kazuha in her swimsuit, completely undercutting the theme of the episode because this is anime, after all).

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Episode 25-26 (END)

So that was a thing. I guess that was one of the ways they could have ended the series in a bittersweet but contained way. It doesn't feel particularly satisfying though, and much of the events of the final two episodes felt really telegraphed to me. Also, the action was really ass. There's this big epic military operation from the entire world taking place, and it looks like a throwaway set piece from early 00s Gonzo shows which were a dime a dozen. Especially after an episode where the action actually tried to look good, that was pretty disappointing.

What I did like was how authentic the feelings were towards the end. This is an aspect that the show has been progressively better at since the writers changed, and probably the only thing that worked for the series overall. I felt for the characters, and the thematic aspect of learning the value of existence and how life is only meaningful if you understand the fragility of it and the pain of loss is pretty well fleshed out by the end. Watching people break down and seeing people struggle is only emotional and relatable if it feels like they really have something to lose. This is something the show was really poor at at first when sacrifice and tragedy were only used as plot highlights, but to get to where it is by the end is truly an accomplishment.

But I can't really say that accomplishment itself is really enough. We still know nothing about the Festum or the true state of the world and what any of this means beyond the main cast of characters. There is no explanation for what was the first contact we had, and hence what led to this chain of events. The villain they tried to create towards the end with the humanized Festum and the black Fafner was also really half-assed, and it made all the action feel really pointless.

I appreciate the effort made to turn the show around from being a totally forgettable pointless Eva clone, but in the end it is still at best a mediocre Eva clone with some pretty interesting ideas expressed in the second half, but hit or miss execution when it comes to everything else. I would probably not recommend this series to anyone looking for a good mecha series to watch, or a good scifi anime to watch. It remains to be seen if the rest of the journey makes this all worthwhile, but as a self-contained series, the first season of Fafner is absolutely not worth the time investment of 26 episodes.

6/10

P.S. Canon is the best character in the entire show.

pbayne

Poco's Udon World 7

Gao Gao. Few more laughs this week. I like the monk's hidden depths plus it explained why he was so creepy in episode 1. Souta really settling in to his new mom role. Nice realistic touch that he contacted his sister to let her know his decision.

X'amd 9

This has the same sort of writing that Eureka 7 has in that characters don't feel the need to give much exposition. Which im in two minds about. One it's more believable, ie no idiot MC that needs everything explained to them(and by proxy the viewer). But two, I sometimes feel that i don't have the proper context for some characters decisions or motivations.
Really well animated but i dunno, can't say i can get fully into it yet.

Ghost Hound 14

Ugh this is getting really fucking stupid.

Quasar

March Comes in Like a Lion 7 - Really liked the episode. I think I'd like the shogi book, might help me with that part of the show.

So that was a thing. I guess that was one of the ways they could have ended the series in a bittersweet but contained way. It doesn't feel particularly satisfying though, and much of the events of the final two episodes felt really telegraphed to me. Also, the action was really ass. There's this big epic military operation from the entire world taking place, and it looks like a throwaway set piece from early 00s Gonzo shows which were a dime a dozen. Especially after an episode where the action actually tried to look good, that was pretty disappointing.

What I did like was how authentic the feelings were towards the end. This is an aspect that the show has been progressively better at since the writers changed, and probably the only thing that worked for the series overall. I felt for the characters, and the thematic aspect of learning the value of existence and how life is only meaningful if you understand the fragility of it and the pain of loss is pretty well fleshed out by the end. Watching people break down and seeing people struggle is only emotional and relatable if it feels like they really have something to lose. This is something the show was really poor at at first when sacrifice and tragedy were only used as plot highlights, but to get to where it is by the end is truly an accomplishment.

But I can't really say that accomplishment itself is really enough. We still know nothing about the Festum or the true state of the world and what any of this means beyond the main cast of characters. There is no explanation for what was the first contact we had, and hence what led to this chain of events. The villain they tried to create towards the end with the humanized Festum and the black Fafner was also really half-assed, and it made all the action feel really pointless.

I appreciate the effort made to turn the show around from being a totally forgettable pointless Eva clone, but in the end it is still at best a mediocre Eva clone with some pretty interesting ideas expressed in the second half, but hit or miss execution when it comes to everything else. I would probably not recommend this series to anyone looking for a good mecha series to watch, or a good scifi anime to watch. It remains to be seen if the rest of the journey makes this all worthwhile, but as a self-contained series, the first season of Fafner is absolutely not worth the time investment of 26 episodes.

6/10

I was left with a more positive impression of Fafner by the time I finished the original series, but your continued dissatisfaction with it is reasonable. I would say that most of your criticisms expressed here are addressed in subsequent entries: the visuals and notably the action get much better in everything afterwards (Orange CG really helps with that), and it leans harder into the nature of Festum and the state of the world outside the island (especially in Exodus). The first contact you bring up never really gets elaborated upon, though (assuming nothing about it is said in the episodes of Exodus I have yet to watch).

phaze

History Lessons with Oda Nobunaga 07

One of the better episodes really as the final meetings of Ends and Drifters resulted in a clash that made comedy obsolete and made if focus on dumb action. The art and animation also seemed upped a notch or two especially in the Gilles' fight.

Planetes 09
022073stjei.jpg

That settles it Tanabe, I'm going to call you Shirou from now on.

You get cancer by going into space ? RIP everyone.

Also uh-oh , there's seemingly love quartet incoming.

Soul Eater 32

Where Excalibur once again proves he's the very best.

6/10

Canon fans really exist. Please watch exodus.

Szadek

Go! Princess Precure - Ep. 1
I didn't plan to start this so soon,but I'ma ddicted to Pretty Cure.
That opening scene was utena as fuck, which I will take as a good sign.

Other than that it was a pretty standarr precure opening episode.
The fight scene wasmuch better than I was expecting from the first episode.
Watching this after Smile and HC was probably a good idea, since it remidns me of both in many ways.

duckroll

Yesterday the Gundam thing I watched was better than all the Fafner stuff I watched added together.

Today the Gundam thing I watched is also better than all the Fafner stuff I watched added together.

Lol.

I was left with a more positive impression of Fafner by the time I finished the original series

Probably because you didn't watch the series after finished Kuromukuro, and you didn't watch Gundam the Origin IV in between the series.

blurr

can someone explain snafu season 2 to me

Basically his cynicism towards relations and self depreciation is fun and all but he is ultimately a human being with relationships no matter how obscure they are, it hurts the people around him if not him also at a subconscious level. He realizes this and he himself grows tired of it so he asks for their(yuigahama and yukinoshita) help (episode 8) in getting over it and forming something 'genuine' i.e. not with any ulterior motive/superficial. Hikigaya worked towards making Iroha win student council elections when she isn't even capable so it's more or less his responsibility to fix the consequences of her winning so they work together in solving the committee's trashy meetings and make the Christmas event a success.

In the last scene, Yukinoshita much like Hikigaya, has a cynical look at relationships, finally opens up and asks for their help in getting over it too, hinting that she is interested in him but unable to express very well. Yuigahama takes the fall(because she also has feelings for Hikigaya) to make this known but Hikigaya stops her because he himself used to make the same mistake/unnecessary self-sacrifice when helping others. Cliffhanger in many ways but I'm okay with it ending here, I could not bear to see one or the other ending up with Hikigaya.

Oh man, now I'm all mushy thinking about episode 8.

Jex

Yesterday the Gundam thing I watched was better than all the Fafner stuff I watched added together.

Today the Gundam thing I watched is also better than all the Fafner stuff I watched added together.
Look, just move onto to the good stuff and stop beating up on Fafner S1. Everyone knows that it's deeply flawed, way to hit a guy whose already down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom