• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Look, just move onto to the good stuff and stop beating up on Fafner S1. Everyone knows that it's deeply flawed, way to hit a guy whose already down!

I actually somewhat appreciate a lot of the stuff in S1 now looking back due to the later entries. My impressions the first time through were pretty similar to duckroll's, so I'm curious what they would be like now, knowing how things tie together.

Jex

I don't often feel the need to do this but some parts of this ANN article were so weird I feel the need to bring them up: How Keijo Won the Gold in Fanservice

You could take issue with numerous parts of this article, but I think there's one element in particular that makes no sense:
Framing exists in everything, whether it's made for scholars or toddlers, and you can study the concept all day, but for the purposes of this editorial, here's one simple rule that can give us insight into why Keijo!!!!!!!! is such an inviting fanservice show: the more objects are manipulated in the frame, the more information is layered over what's being shown, the more we are being told how to feel about them. Framing is important to understanding Keijo!!!!!!!! not because it's more thoughtfully framed than most fanservice series, but because it's less thoughtfully framed.

Basically, Keijo!!!!!!!! is not as interested in telling you what to think about these girls' bodies compared to most other fanservice shows. By putting you right in the action with simple dead-on angles and flat sports arena lighting, Keijo!!!!!!!! presents its athletes matter-of-factly; even when they're slamming their rumps into each other, it doesn't automatically seem like something out of Girls Gone Wild. More deliberately sexual framing might add a warm haze or oblique angle to the action, splitting our views of the girls up into quick flashes of disparate body parts as if we were spying on them through a keyhole.

For starters, this line:

Framing is important to understanding Keijo!!!!!!!! not because it's more thoughtfully framed than most fanservice series, but because it's less thoughtfully framed.

is somewhat paradoxical. The writer assumes that 'thoughtful framing' = 'voeyuristic fanservice angles' when in reality 'thoughtful framing' might be 'flat angles, so as not to hinder the view of the action'. Surely all framing is subject to the same amount of thought? Perhaps the director thoughtfully chose to create neutral camera work?

Basically, Keijo!!!!!!!! is not as interested in telling you what to think about these girls' bodies compared to most other fanservice shows. By putting you right in the action with simple dead-on angles and flat sports arena lighting, Keijo!!!!!!!! presents its athletes matter-of-factly;

This appears to be a defensive of extremely lazy storyboarding, photography, colour-work etc.

The writer presents a dichotomy: that Keijo must either be shot like a creepy-voyeur way or shot in a flat, neutral way. This seems bizarre, right? You can have interesting, engaging cinematography and colour design that doesn't look like an anime from 2006. Or you can have deliberately minimalistic, restrained cinematography that doesn't draw attention to itself but that still looks good.

Keijo could be produced in all kinds of more interesting ways than it has been. You don't need to defend generic, cookie-cutter workmanship by arguing that it's somehow a creative choice which benefits the material.

Jarmel

Banned
Framing is important to understanding Keijo!!!!!!!! not because it's more thoughtfully framed than most fanservice series, but because it's less thoughtfully framed.

wait wut

Basically, Keijo!!!!!!!! is not as interested in telling you what to think about these girls' bodies compared to most other fanservice shows. By putting you right in the action with simple dead-on angles and flat sports arena lighting, Keijo!!!!!!!! presents its athletes matter-of-factly; even when they're slamming their rumps into each other, it doesn't automatically seem like something out of Girls Gone Wild. More deliberately sexual framing might add a warm haze or oblique angle to the action, splitting our views of the girls up into quick flashes of disparate body parts as if we were spying on them through a keyhole.

So wouldn't that imply careful consideration in the storyboarding/framing to present the athletes as 'matter-of-factly'?

Episode 33

Man this was a great episode, Takaki evolved so much as a character. Still living with the guilt, not wanting to leave his sister alone and his responsibilities for Tekkadan. I really liked him, but it's sad that we had to lose Aston for this since he was such a cool character. The few moments with his sister this episode were heart breaking, these moments always gets me...I still have this lingering sad feeling after that sweet little scene post-credit.

As for the political stuff, lots of big stuff is coming, and it could(probably will) terribly go south from there. Will lots of people die? I hope not, but I have a feeling they will.

duckroll

Is this scene supposed to be weird?

I really liked this scene. It's a scene about physical intimacy and communication. I see it as a tragic scene of an old man who knows he does not have much time left, accepting that his legacy will be one of blood and chaos forced onto his family who are mostly bad people who embrace the change he brings about because of power. He sees his youngest son Garma as the only good thing he has brought into the world but he no longer knows how to even talk to him. He regrets the gap, and he yearns to return to a simpler time where family relations could just be people being together sharing a moment of warmth.

Jex

wait wut

So wouldn't that imply careful consideration in the storyboarding/framing to present the athletes as 'matter-of-factly'?

Yes, that's what I meant to say.

You can't say that both:

- Framing is carefully considered to convey information to the audience

- The (supposed) neutral framing of Keijo was somehow un-caused, that it came from nowhere

Literally a contradiction.

EDIT: Just checking the manga for comparison, they skipped like 35 chapters? Crazy.

Jarmel

Banned
I really liked this scene. It's a scene about physical intimacy and communication. I see it as a tragic scene of an old man who knows he does not have much time left, accepting that his legacy will be one of blood and chaos forced onto his family who are mostly bad people who embrace the change he brings about because of power. He sees his youngest son Garma as the only good thing he has brought into the world but he no longer knows how to even talk to him. He regrets the gap, and he yearns to return to a simpler time where family relations could just be people being together sharing a moment of warmth.
I got all of that but it's also a guy cupping his son's head and asking if his cheek feels warm.
Yes, that's what I meant to say.

You can't say that both:

- Framing is carefully considered to convey information to the audience

- The (supposed) neutral framing of Keijo was somehow un-caused, that it came from nowhere

Literally a contradiction.

EDIT: Just checking the manga for comparison, they skipped like 35 chapters? Crazy.

Yea they skipped almost all of the background characterization. It was done to reach a certain endpoint which I can somewhat understand even if I don't completely agree.

The framing generally is pretty neutral which is probably one of the show's strengths. There's only been a few times where I felt the camera was leering at a character's assets.

Jex

Yea they skipped almost all of the background characterization. It was done to reach a certain endpoint which I can somewhat understand even if I don't completely agree.

The framing generally is pretty neutral which is probably one of the show's strengths. There's only been a few times where I felt the camera was leering at a character's assets.
Not to sound like a 'Manga Purist' but, after briefly skimming the manga, it seems to be much better than the anime. Almost of all sports shows are built around the motivations of not only the protagonists, but the antagonists as well. The action in the manga seems to be more (and you'll have to excuse the term) impactful because everyone is more developed as characters.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans S2 08

The two people who found the offer shady af didn't bother saying anything beyond "DUUUDE" but damn, other than that part this episode had a lot going on. McGillis' relationship with his foster parents is not entirely clear and I'm also beginning to question his intentions.

Takaki has wisened up in one perspective I'll say.

Jarmel

Banned
Not to sound like a 'Manga Purist' but, after briefly skimming the manga, it seems to be much better than the anime. Almost of all sports shows are built around the motivations of not only the protagonists, but the antagonists as well. The action in the manga seems to be more (and you'll have to excuse the term) impactful because everyone is more developed as characters.

The anime staff (and probably most of the fans too) wanted to reach the West vs East War though and so a lot of stuff got thrown on the burner as a result.

/XX/

The lovely as always Katsuya Kondō! Now waiting to see him on the supposed Mr. Takahata's "little project" (reconfirmed recently during his masterclass along Mr. de Wit organized by Forum des images), or perhaps on Miyazaki Jr. feature film, or the proposed one from Miyazaki Sr. for Boro the Caterpillar... maybe in Mr. Yonebayashi's? I'm getting excited at all the possibilities. :-D

My bond of friendship with animegaf ended when we lost drforester to ponygaf.
This is the only time I'm glad Mr. Reg-chan isn't around on this thread anymore, so he can't read such traitorous remark. :p

The writer presents a dichotomy: that Keijo must either be shot like a creepy-voyeur way or shot in a flat, neutral way. This seems bizarre, right? You can have interesting, engaging cinematography and colour design that doesn't look like an anime from 2006.

I know why you say this, to reference bland early digital anime, but it still bothers me whenever someone says "this anime looks like it came from the year X" as a negative criticism. Even when the anime industry broadly speaking didn't have the command of digital tools that they now do, they were still able to make attractive looking anime. Mushishi is from 2006!

Probably because you didn't watch the series after finished Kuromukuro, and you didn't watch Gundam the Origin IV in between the series.

I wasn't really judging Fafner in relation to other mecha series so much as the expectations it set for itself by its first episode. My feelings about the original series are essentially determined by the fact that after episode 1 I was thinking "I don't get any of this; what is the point?" and after episode 26 I was thinking "Wow, I actually care about these characters." That's a pretty positive trajectory for a TV series. My feelings about a TV series are often colored by the ending more than anything else, so it's fair to say that a good ending will help me overlook earlier flaws while a bad ending will encourage me to overlook earlier successes.

Taruranto

vqxBjAh.jpg

You talked to him like two times, miss. That's how poeple get married to serial killer btw.

But seriously, all those great moments between Kaguya and Majime....

Like this one! And... uhm... erg.

It's hard to appreciate a romance coming to fruition if the main character interacted more with the coworker from the office than his love interest.

Thud

Rose of Versailles 16

Oscar and Andre training Rosalie to be a Lady with a Vengeance.

Meanwhile Rosalie experiences the full spectrum of emotions. Balls are scary af.

This just brings us much closer to a confrontation between Polignac and Rosalie, with Oscar on the receiving if I look at the preview.

duckroll

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Right of Left

I'm not sure what I expected, but this wasn't it. Lol.

When people said it was a prequel, I figured it would be a few years back and cover stuff like the previous generation, and the politics which led to some people leaving the island. Instead this "prequel" is a short self-contained story featuring characters who apparently existed but were never mentioned before in the entire series, and the only purpose storywise seems to be... to explain the pilot girl who had like one line before getting rekt'd in the first episode of the TV series? Fucking lol.

I dunno, maybe I'm being too negative here, but I find it laughable that this was apparently important enough to dedicate 55 minutes to. The entire thing seems to be a giant retcon which zero bearing on anything moving forward. We already knew there were pilot programs before this. We already knew many people died paving the way for the illusion of peace on the island. So this really seems rather necessary. It doesn't help that the character art is so infected with same-face-syndrome that I thought it was Kazuki and Maya when they first appeared. The animation was definitely better though, especially in the action scenes. Some sick close ups with machine damage. I love that shit.

I dunno, I just find it so hard to care about what the actual story was about, knowing that they were doomed anyway, otherwise there would have been some mention of it in the previous story. I'm not even sure what the fuck the actual objective of Plan L was. Was it a big joke from a dying man? Did L in fact stand for Lose? Discuss.

blurr

It's hard to appreciate a romance coming to fruition if the main character interacted more with the coworker from the office than his love interest.

Truly, this "romance subplot" banks on the "love at first sight" notion and comes to fruition but no matter how well it handles itself visually, it lacks build up and a sense of achievement/relief keeping in mind Hajime's personality.

March comes in like a Lion 05

Oh god. This was amazing(if only it weren't for Kiriyama's monologues).

I appreciated this show for its warm and fuzzy moments but this episode revealed a more painful side of it. Fortunately this goes well with its heart warming moments with Momo and her sisters, it's like you've been through something harsh but there's a hug ready for you right beside. I've seen people call its tonal shift to comedy problematic but I on the other hand, really appreciate it.

Kiriyama's deceased family was a frightening sight and the entire moment he confronted his father's friend at the funeral was a much needed emotional cushion for both Kiriyama and myself as a viewer. I wish it cut back on the narrative exposition.

We now know that both Kiriyama and the three sisters have been through something painful, their relationship is all the more beautiful knowing that they are reconciling their losses and sharing difficult moments by helping each other and staying together. Oh my god.

trejo

This is the only time I'm glad Mr. Reg-chan isn't around on this thread anymore, so he can't read such traitorous remark. :p

Reg who?

Creo que necesita haber otro anime de futból para ver si vuelve a enseñar la cara por estos lares.

Jex

On The Nature of Adaptation
The anime staff (and probably most of the fans too) wanted to reach the West vs East War though and so a lot of stuff got thrown on the burner as a result.
Well, I can certainly understand that desire, especially from fans looking to have their favourite material adapted. Still, such corner-cutting feels terribly short sighted because it leaves your series no foundation to build on.

I feel the same way, to a lesser extent, about the early parts of FMA:Brotherhood. Yes, most people who watched that series had read the manga and watched the original anime so they didn't need the context. Yet it means that when you explore the work, years down the line, it doesn't stand on it's own because it rests on assumed knowledge that simply wont be there forever.

An older example of this is Tomorrow's Joe 2. This sequel series essentially re-does key parts of the original Tomorrow's Joe at 3x speed and that just isn't enough to set up the characters properl. So you end up needing to watch Tomorrow's Joe and Tomorrow's Joe 2 full the picture even though you go through the same manga material twice.

Szadek

Mai HiME - Ep. 13
The whole love triangle thing wasn't too interesting, but shit got very really at the end.
Looks like the villains finally make thiermove
Also, what did Natsuki see?
It has to be something fucked up, that's for sure.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo - Ep. 12
That blond guy is one creepy motherfucker. Looks like he only helped Albert in order to fuck with him.
The Count got arrested, but given how good he is at manipulating people, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 8

Takaki gets out just in time. At least he won't be another Biscuit. McGillis is offering Tekkadan a big responsibility. One that probably won't work out for them. Gaelio probably had similar work done to him like Ein had, though not to the same extremes. Lafter gets to be all mushy over Akihiro.

blurr

March comes in like a Lion 06

Hinata you perceptive lovely little girl.

I was very moved when she invited him over.

Jarmel

Banned
I dunno, I just find it so hard to care about what the actual story was about, knowing that they were doomed anyway, otherwise there would have been some mention of it in the previous story. I'm not even sure what the fuck the actual objective of Plan L was. Was it a big joke from a dying man? Did L in fact stand for Lose? Discuss.

The whole point was to buy time for the island as the Festum were constantly attacking it and the island needed time to set up their defenses. It's similar to Battlestar Galactica's episode 33 in concept. The hope was for everybody to come back home but they had no clue how quickly the Festum could adapt and evolve too.

It's a way of showing how fucked up the preceding years on the island were.

Szadek

Mai-HiME- Ep. 14
Yup, shit got very real
,as in an entire army just arrived at thier school.
There is no turning back now, is there?
It's not much of a suprise that the guys running the school are the real bad guys, but it's not like the other side are that much better either.

I have the feeling that things will get really ugly from her.

Jex

I'm not sure what I expected, but this wasn't it. Lol.

When people said it was a prequel, I figured it would be a few years back and cover stuff like the previous generation, and the politics which led to some people leaving the island. Instead this "prequel" is a short self-contained story featuring characters who apparently existed but were never mentioned before in the entire series, and the only purpose storywise seems to be... to explain the pilot girl who had like one line before getting rekt'd in the first episode of the TV series? Fucking lol.

I dunno, maybe I'm being too negative here, but I find it laughable that this was apparently important enough to dedicate 55 minutes to. The entire thing seems to be a giant retcon which zero bearing on anything moving forward. We already knew there were pilot programs before this. We already knew many people died paving the way for the illusion of peace on the island. So this really seems rather necessary. It doesn't help that the character art is so infected with same-face-syndrome that I thought it was Kazuki and Maya when they first appeared. The animation was definitely better though, especially in the action scenes. Some sick close ups with machine damage. I love that shit.

I've addressed this in IRC already but I think other's should see my argument too.

- Project L delays the attack on the Island. It's a stalling mechanism.

- I think that the OVA works well as a self-contained story even if the outcome is clear from the beginning. It may appears to be 'pointless' and I agree that's the feeling that you get from the characters struggle, but the writer makes sure to convey to you that the sacrifices of the characters were not entirely in vain. This is very, very important because early on in Fafner people essentially die like dogs for no reason and no gain. The writer wants to discard this empty nihilism and depict a world that, despite it's bleakness, is not entirely hopeless.

- I feel like the writer wanted to express the grimness of the 1st half of Fafner S1, but rather than depict it poorly as the original series did, he wants to do it 'right'. That's why it takes the time to develop these characters before they meet their unfortunate fates.

- This OVA sets is designed to mark the lowest moment in the history of Alvis and Fafner. It's about as bleak as it gets. This is then a sharp contrast to the works that follow on from this point. Numerous characters will refer back this event and the sacrifices involved in Project L as a lesson of what not to do. I feel like this is the writer making a clean break from the tone of the original Fafner by saying "This empty nihilism serves no purpose, I have a different vision" which you'll see in the subsequent works.

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 8

Takaki is a smart boy getting out now if you ask me. Otherwise a pretty boring episode with a whole lot of talking.

Jarmel

Banned
- I feel like the writer wanted to express the grimness of the 1st half of Fafner S1, but rather than depict it poorly as the original series did, he wants to do it 'right'. That's why it takes the time to develop these characters before they meet their unfortunate fates.

- This OVA sets is designed to mark the lowest moment in the history of Alvis and Fafner. It's about as bleak as it gets. This is then a sharp contrast to the works that follow on from this point. Numerous characters will refer back this event and the sacrifices involved in Project L as a lesson of what not to do. I feel like this is the writer making a clean break from the tone of the original Fafner by saying "This empty nihilism serves no purpose, I have a different vision" which you'll see in the subsequent works.

I feel it's also worth noting how much better the actual direction is, even besides the overall writing. The second half did a great job of visually showing how tragic the whole event was and the mental stress on the characters. It's probably one of the most brutal visions I've ever seen of an actual suicide mission. Even things that were quickly brought up in the original series such as people disappearing into thin air is used in the episode and I felt that was the first time an audience member could truly see the horror in that.

They essentially sent a bunch of kids out to die and that affects later decision making.

Gundam IBO - 33

This was an episode of great decisions being made by a lot of characters. There is no going back now. I was happy for Takaki, as he too seemed to be to close to getting himself killed. Hope to see him along with his sister back in the show at some point, but for now let them have a quiet life away from danger.

duckroll

I feel it's also worth noting how much better the actual direction is, even besides the overall writing. The second half did a great job of visually showing how tragic the whole event was and the mental stress on the characters. It's probably one of the most brutal visions I've ever seen of an actual suicide mission. Even things that were quickly brought up in the original series such as people disappearing into thin air is used in the episode and I felt that was the first time an audience member could truly see the horror in that.

They essentially sent a bunch of kids out to die and that affects later decision making.

I don't really think the direction in Fafner thus far is noteworthy at all. At best it is serviceable, at worst it's amateurish. Even in Right of Left, there is this awkward use of the camera that suggests a limitation of digital composite tools at the time mixed with direction that doesn't necessarily best fit their ability to execute. While the writing certainly improved a ton, especially with how it handles people and the development of relationships, the directing honestly feels the same to me.

The whole point was to buy time for the island as the Festum were constantly attacking it and the island needed time to set up their defenses. It's similar to Battlestar Galactica's episode 33 in concept. The hope was for everybody to come back home but they had no clue how quickly the Festum could adapt and evolve too.

It's a way of showing how fucked up the preceding years on the island were.

- Project L delays the attack on the Island. It's a stalling mechanism.

See here's the problem. I don't understand this concept at all. Plan L is supposed to delay attacks on the island? But... the island has presumably been under attack for decades. Throughout Fafner we hear older soldier characters talk about their generations and the generation before that, etc. It seems the Festum threat is ongoing. These people are from the island too. I don't get it. There seems to be a failure to really create a clear and convincing timeline for the "threat" people are under at any given time.

In Right of Left it is suggested that even the kids on the island know the truth about the battle, but only SOME of them. And it suggests that this has gone on for a long time. By the time they are selected no one is shocked or surprised at what a Fafner is. The Titan series were not the first. By this time people had already defected from the island years before. There were pilots then. From what Michio said, it sounded pretty bad for those pilots too.

I'm really not seeing how Plan L is any worse than what came before, other than it being a stupid ass plan. I'm not sure how it "buys time" for anyone, given that they have already had Fafners for ages fighting the same enemies. Why is this time any different? I'm really confused here!

Jarmel

Banned
I don't really think the direction in Fafner thus far is noteworthy at all. At best it is serviceable, at worst it's amateurish. Even in Right of Left, there is this awkward use of the camera that suggests a limitation of digital composite tools at the time mixed with direction that doesn't necessarily best fit their ability to execute. While the writing certainly improved a ton, especially with how it handles people and the development of relationships, the directing honestly feels the same to me.!

The OVA is much better at using the atmosphere of the island to help create a calming atmosphere through numerous scenery shots. That's extremely important in RoL's case as it establishes why these characters are off doing this suicidal mission. In addition, the shots of the island are better framed than scenes in the TV series. There's use of an original insert song for the first time which give that scene a more theatrical, larger than life, quality. There's also better storyboarding such as the scene at the bottom of the scene, which is much more artistic than really anything in the original series. There's not only more creativity to how they approach the scenes but also better execution.

See here's the problem. I don't understand this concept at all. Plan L is supposed to delay attacks on the island? But... the island has presumably been under attack for decades. Throughout Fafner we hear older soldier characters talk about their generations and the generation before that, etc. It seems the Festum threat is ongoing. These people are from the island too. I don't get it. There seems to be a failure to really create a clear and convincing timeline for the "threat" people are under at any given time.

In Right of Left it is suggested that even the kids on the island know the truth about the battle, but only SOME of them. And it suggests that this has gone on for a long time. By the time they are selected no one is shocked or surprised at what a Fafner is. The Titan series were not the first. By this time people had already defected from the island years before. There were pilots then. From what Michio said, it sounded pretty bad for those pilots too.

I'm really not seeing how Plan L is any worse than what came before, other than it being a stupid ass plan. I'm not sure how it "buys time" for anyone, given that they have already had Fafners for ages fighting the same enemies. Why is this time any different? I'm really confused here!

Here's an official timeline (beware of later spoilers): http://alvis.towerofmist.net/index.php?title=Timeline

Many of the older people on the island had been part of the initial attack by the Festum when they were still in Japan. So some of them have been fighting Festum for decades. The Festum hadn't yet found the island during the Right of Left period but were close to doing so (because of the radio incident). So the island government decided to break off part of the island as a decoy to lead the Festum to the false island instead of the main one. This was done, I believe as I can't exactly remember, so the mech production could get up to speed. The kids were using first gen models and the ones used in the original TV series were second gen (Nothung line). As you can see the first gen were extremely hard on the pilots. The main island needed time to gear up and prep their defenses for when the Festum actually found the island and the L Plan was the stalling strategy they needed.

The island mechs (the second and third gen) are significantly better than the first gens Fafners that the rest of the wold uses. The Right of Left OVA shows what happens when the first gens face off against the Festum and why the second gen Fafners were so important.

I don't really think the direction in Fafner thus far is noteworthy at all. At best it is serviceable, at worst it's amateurish. Even in Right of Left, there is this awkward use of the camera that suggests a limitation of digital composite tools at the time mixed with direction that doesn't necessarily best fit their ability to execute. While the writing certainly improved a ton, especially with how it handles people and the development of relationships, the directing honestly feels the same to me.

If you think the direction in Right of Left is no more creative than the direction in the original Fafner TV series, I don't know what to say. I cannot imagine how anyone could come to that conclusion.

I guess this didn't come across clearly to you, but the Fafners seen in Right of Left are actually the first generation of Fafner models; there weren't any Fafners previously. The idea behind Plan L was to break off one subisland and send the Fafner unit there to keep the Festum busy while the main island moved elsewhere and improved its cloaking and defense systems.

Jarmel

Banned
I guess this didn't come across clearly to you, but the Fafners seen in Right of Left are actually the first generation of Fafner models; there weren't any Fafners previously. The idea behind Plan L was to break off one subisland and send the Fafner unit there to keep the Festum busy while the main island moved elsewhere and improved its cloaking and defense systems.

The other ones seen in Right of Left and the UN models are considered Fafners too. However they aren't the Nothung line, which is unique to the later island units.

duckroll

If you think the direction in Right of Left is no more creative than the direction in the original Fafner TV series, I don't know what to say. I cannot imagine how anyone could come to that conclusion.

It might be more "creative" but I don't think it's "better". It's still ugly ass early 00s digital stuff, there are silly ass lens flares (which look terrible when upscaled from whatever crappy resolution they were made in), etc.

This makes no sense. How can the Titans be the first generation of Fafner models when Hino said that her son (Michio) was a pilot too, and he left the island years (?) before Right of Left?

The other ones seen in Right of Left and the UN models are considered Fafners too. However they aren't the Nothung line, which is unique to the later island units.

The Titans aren't Nothungs either. They're still building the Nothungs during Right of Left.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't often feel the need to do this but some parts of this ANN article were so weird I feel the need to bring them up: How Keijo Won the Gold in Fanservice
I still remain unconvinced that Keijo's popularity is primarily derived from its fanservice. I actually find it unlikely that that aspect is a serious draw for the series, and sure enough, from a fan art and doujin angle the series is basically unrecognized with no backing from those communities. Keijo is really just a simplistic sports anime that mimics aspects of something like sumo wrestling to be easily understandable. Its sexual elements are absurd and clearly connect with the audience for humor more than anything else.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Fafner as a franchise is very dense, so I certainly can understand getting confused!

It might be more "creative" but I don't think it's "better". It's still ugly ass early 00s digital stuff, there are silly ass lens flares (which look terrible when upscaled from whatever crappy resolution they were made in), etc.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. It doesn't look as good as Heaven and Earth does, and it's still the same basic visual design as original Fafner, but I find it considerably better to the point where I do think Right of Left is attractive and appealingly atmospheric.

phaze

My tale started in the 12th century~

Disgusting lack of historical accuracy really.

Soul Eater 33

Feels like i missed out a few eps cause this falling out between Black Star and Maka came out of nowhere. Well, outside of the former being a pain in the ass but that was always there from the beginning.

Narag

I still remain unconvinced that Keijo's popularity is primarily derived from its fanservice. I actually find it unlikely that that aspect is a serious draw for the series, and sure enough, from a fan art and doujin angle the series is basically unrecognized with no backing from those communities. Keijo is really just a simplistic sports anime that mimics aspects of something like sumo wrestling to be easily understandable. Its sexual elements are absurd and clearly connect with the audience for humor more than anything else.

To add, yet anecdotal on my behalf, but when I get back to it, it won't be for any sort of titillation but because it looks kinda fun & goofy.

This was also one of the retcons I mentioned earlier, where Ubukata introduced the concept of subliminal learning for the islanders. Like what happened with Yumi, upon seeing information related to Alvis, all sorts of information that relates to the island, the state of the world, Fafners, and Festums are "unlocked" in in their minds. The irregular graduation ceremonies in Right of Left are also because of this, because some people want to leave and fight after finding out instead of keeping up the charade.

blurr

March comes in like a Lion 07

Things, Shogi, baseball or education have little to no meaning if you reduce their bounds of relevance only to your self but once you realize that they can weigh in on helping others, it's an incredible epiphany and a delightful experience.

I think this is what Kiriyama realized. As long he played it for himself, he was fine but only to an extent, this extent is him becoming independent and making a living but beyond that he had seen no point in moving further to a point that he didn't care about himself anymore. This was depicted with him swimming across a waterbody to reach an Island, feeling relieved that he didn't have do anything anymore. I have succumbed to moments where I was tempted to slack off many a time much like him.

I don't think he gave much thought about why he chose to pursue Shogi seriously but it was only when he was giving advice that he thought out and it came to him. I frankly thought those words of "having no memory of slacking off/running away" relevant to myself as well but it's never something I acknowledged as a problem or a signifier of a problem. That was great insight and reassuring knowing that others feel the same as well.

Jarmel

Banned
I feel shots like these are vastly better than anything in the TV series.

The Titans aren't Nothungs either. They're still building the Nothungs during Right of Left.

The first Nothung models are Mark Ein and Mark Zwei. They finally finished Mark Zwei at the end of the OVA and it was the model Karin used to try and meet the submarine.

The plan worked as the Nothung line was being produced at the end of the OVA episode and units were coming out.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Fafner as a franchise is very dense, so I certainly can understand getting confused!

Here's my halfhearted approach of visually showing the progression.

Right of Left and Earlier | Dead Aggressor | Heaven and Earth | Exodus

UN Fafners/Titan Line -->Nothung Generation 1 Fafner--> Nothung Gen 2 Fafner--> Nothung Gen 3 Fafner

There are units that don't fall into the above like the Salvator line but this is generally it.

RainForce

Banned
Flip Flappers
Keijo
Euphonium
That DTL show with the gays
Gakuen Handsome
Kiss Him not Me

Gonna add Magical Girl Raising Project, which has an excellent non-stereotypical depiction of lesbians, who are also the most likable characters in the show.

Show By Rock!!# Episode 8 – Re:Climb
CxuGmDPXgAEevWs.jpg:small
CxuLMZMXcAAb0XN.jpg:small

Reasons crow is the best, I was shipped like cattle to Eden. Such a fantastic song and so many awesome scenes and not in their 3D forms even. I wish more gets like this.

I hope ARCAREAFACT still gets some moments, loved their music. and will miss best one.
CxuHFPaWIAcLBKI.jpg:small

Jex

I don't disagree. It certainly feels more absurdest than titillating, the mere presence of women's bodies does not equal fanservice.

Thud

Dragon Ball Super 67

That was a pretty dark ending, but that's our Trunks.

Overall a pretty solid arc. Especially for Super.

Next episode seems to be some kind of filler, as expected.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2, Episode 8:

Right, time for the fallout from the Bloc War or whatever they are calling it and as it turns out the power shift for Tekkaden may be earning out of this may lead them to becoming top dog of Mars, though that is not a path without consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom