• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saiki K Episode 19
Cxv3dsMXAAAuEYO.jpg:small

Best grandpa and funniest set of episodes, especially the amusement park.

I want the 3ds game, too bad it will never come in English.

Cornbread78

3-gatsu ep.7
I kinda dug this episode. Good way to get to know more about the characters and how they integrate into Rei's life. The ED was hilarious as well. Neko Shogi!

Sterok

Girlish Number 7

Kuzu is the worse. The absolute worse. Everything he touches he destroys. At least Chitose mostly just hurts herself and occasionally tries to improve. Turns out Kazuha didn't want to do that swim suit shot for a reason. Koto doing what she can to help Kazuha keep it together. Now that's a good senpai. Yae is the most flat character, but she still manages to be amusing. Momoka is the real hero though. Why isn't she the main character? She's probably got the most interesting conflict, and she knows how to snark without being a self-absorbed dick.

Cornbread78

Izetta ep.8
Whelp, the cats outta the bag now. I was glad that smug little shit was offed, but it's gonna suck for Izetta and Eldstydt once the data is reviewed.... Also, fuck the US here, what a piece of shit.

duckroll

I loved the ending theme....

砕け飛び散った欠片バラバラバラになる
魂はまるで 大気に溶け込む様に
「動揺」は君の不安を掻き立てる
根拠は無い だけどTrust me Trust you
Where is 蒼穹

JulianImp

So, I happened to find a copy of the Madoka key animation note volume 2 at a Book-Off today, and that made me want to order a couple more off of Amazon. These kind of things are just awesome compared to most other art/fanbooks I've spotted so far.

Kiss him, not me - #7
So the quiet guy got to quietly undress the MC and cuddle up with her to warm her up, and is the only character who realizes the whole thing was real? ...I'm okay with that.

Magical Girl Killing Project - #8
Nana and the angel sister are now broken beyond repair... welcome to Hinamizawa!

It's an OK show, but still pretty meh and by-the-numbers. Relying on showing the audience flashbacks to flesh its characters out is one of the cheapest tricks in my book, though. They create a huge disconnect between the audience and the cast, all while failing to try and make the characters feel more empathetic with how cliched and edgy most of their backstories are.

As far as the cast itself is concerned, nobody ever knew a thing about anybody else except for Snow White and La Pucelle, which makes their team dynamics and stuff feel forced and lifeless.

Occultic;Nine - #7
Things are getting weirder by the minute, but I'm enjoying most characters and situations except for Ryo-tas and the gay barman.

Also, I was expecting the name of the girl who had bumped into the MC to actually become a key point in Sarai's "we're already dead" hypothesis with how the story had the MC read and call her name out loud; had Sarai only asked about it, they probably could've checked the list of victims for her name.

jonjonaug

So, I happened to find a copy of the Madoka key animation note volume 2 at a Book-Off today, and that made me want to order a couple more off of Amazon. These kind of things are just awesome compared to most other art/fanbooks I've spotted so far.

I've got all of them. I'm kinda miffed that Rebellion never got one. Some of the bonuses they had for each volume were pretty cool, one of them is a flipbook of all the frames of animation for this scene from episode 3.

EDIT: I should add that as far as I know there are no sakuga books for Rebellion, just regular art books and design works stuff. Rebellion's production artwork book set though contains one of my favorite art books ever with the book containing all of Gekidan Inu Curry's work on the film. I recommend looking up scans if you can find them, it's crazy how much effort they put into the designs and environments. There's a ton of stuff in the Inu Curry materials that didn't even make it into the series or films too.

zulux21

code geass rewatch season 1 and 2.

great series is still great. still easily in my top 20, if not in my top 10 of anime.

yaoi on ice 1-4

quite enjoyable so far, even if they are going overboard with the boy love lol.

JulianImp

I've got all of them. I'm kinda miffed that Rebellion never got one. Some of the bonuses they had for each volume were pretty cool, one of them is a flipbook of all the frames of animation for this scene from episode 3.

EDIT: I should add that as far as I know there are no sakuga books for Rebellion, just regular art books and design works stuff. Rebellion's production artwork book set though contains one of my favorite art books ever with the book containing all of Gekidan Inu Curry's work on the film. I recommend looking up scans if you can find them, it's crazy how much effort they put into the designs and environments. There's a ton of stuff in the Inu Curry materials that didn't even make it into the series or films too.

The vol.2 I got had only three or four drawings in cardboard-like paper inside the bonus envelope thing, and I'm ordering vols 5 and the extended version of 6 used as well, so I might not get some of the bonus contents. The books are still worth it, though, and saving over 8K yen over ordering them new is really tempting since I'm not on a lax enough budget to actually get them new (gotta stock up on some trumpet maintenance goods instead!).

And back to reviews...

Flip Flappers - #6

This was a nice episode, probably because the whole gem-collecting plot got sidelined in favor of a pretty nice pure illusion. I'd rather see the girls go on Space Dandy-style adventures than beating monsters up to collect the dragonballs.

I really like how the show uses colors to convey tone, and stuff such as the exaggerated way Iroha's parents were portrayed when they were arguing in front of her was also pretty nice to see.

Jex

I know why you say this, to reference bland early digital anime, but it still bothers me whenever someone says "this anime looks like it came from the year X" as a negative criticism. Even when the anime industry broadly speaking didn't have the command of digital tools that they now do, they were still able to make attractive looking anime. Mushishi is from 2006!

I know that using such shorthand isn't really accurate, but I do feel like there's a look that a number of anime had in the early era of digital colouring that Keijo shares. It has the same very simple colour work which tends to utilise bright blocks of colour without much shading and very simple lighting where everything is lit identically. Combine all of this with the traditional deep focus of standard anime and you basically have a very flat image with no sense of depth and no realistic lighting. This creates a vibrant, if clearly artificial look, reminiscent of early digital anime, that's in direct contrast to the sophisticated lighting and photography of something like a Hyouka or Kiznaiver.

duckroll

I know Fafner fans are waiting on battered breath for me to post my Heaven and Earth impressions, but it'll have to wait a little longer because I need to actually remember some of what I watched last night. Pro-tip: Watching existential quasi-philosophy scifi at 2am in the morning while tired is a BAD idea.

Short version is, I liked most of it, and the direction of the story is basically what I wanted Fafner to be about after the end of the TV series. There are some issues I had with it though, too many subplots that piled up, and some confusion about how they introduced certain characters. Super. Duper. Pretty though. S-tier digital photography.

JulianImp

Teekyuu started its 87th season and there are rumors that Detective Conan might finally be entering its endgame, unless it ends up being another tease.

I remember some quote stating that the show was at around its halfway point at around the 750 episode mark, but if that were the case then I'd gladly hop back on the Conan hype train (skipping all AOs and most regular cases that don't actually add much besides a scene or two at the end, of course).

My biggest gripe with the show is how plot threads tend to never get wrapped up, and get postponed by introducing even more characters and plot threads instead. Such a mess of characters and subplots means it should become obvious when the series enters its endgame, since it would forcibly have to start wrapping up the absurd number of ships it has before it can even try to devote any time to the black organization itself.

is the order a rabbit? 1-2

I think I know why people like this show.

and I'm scared.

If it's any consollation, I think there was an otaku café at the northern part of DenDen Town in Osaka that I think was themed around that show (it was named "is the order a coffee?" and had girls in colored wigs as waitresses)... and it shut down and got replaced by another café where the clerks all wear tank tops or something a couple weeks before we moved out of Osaka.

Szadek

Gankutsuou:The Count of Monte Cristo - Ep. 13-14
Episode 13 looked weird even by this shows standards, which is really saying something.
Villefort's plan to arrest the count backfired pretty hard.

Apperently, creepy blond guy and Haydée are part of the counts revenge party.
Albert's Father took some desperate measures in order to save his reputation and it seems to work well so far, but it looks like Haydée ain't having none of that shit.
Your move ,lady.

If it's any consollation, I think there was an otaku café at the northern part of DenDen Town in Osaka that I think was themed around that show (it was named "is the order a coffee?" and had girls in colored wigs as waitresses)... and it shut down and got replaced by another café where the clerks all wear tank tops or something a couple weeks before we moved out of Osaka.

Sure it wasn't a temporary collab, like a lot of other themed cafes there? :p

JulianImp

Sure it wasn't a temporary collab, like a lot of other themed cafes there? :p

I don't know a thing about those themed cafes, but I guess so.

Still, tank top cafe? Japan truly caters to everything...

Flip Flappers - #7
Another episode I liked quite a bit, and would've loved if only we weren't constantly reminded about Yayaka and the twins still working behind the scenes to gather the dragonballs... Like, I seriously wish the show could just put that main plot on a bus and focus on pure illusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom