• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Club - The 100 best films of the decade (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

nice little list so far. lol at the salt.

When a bunch of sites were making these I made up my own quick list of 25 favorites from the decade so far:

Stoker; Dogtooth; Scott Pilgrim vs. the World; Oslo, August 31st; The Wind Rises; The Tree of Life; Inside Llewyn Davis; Certified Copy; The Innkeepers; Holy Motors; Boyhood; Attack the Block; The Act of Killing; Fast & Furious 6; The Trip; The Grand Budapest Hotel; The Raid; Nebraska; Goodbye to Language 3D; Girl Walk//All Day; A Separation; Spring Breakers; It's Such a Beautiful Day; Inherent Vice; The Duke of Burgundy

hadn't seen Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives at that point though, I think that might edge out something on here.
If I see Theory of Everything anywhere on this list, I'll flip. Especially as Toy Story 3 is ranked so low.

ahm, it won't be. The AV Club is...not that kind of publication.
Welp I've only seen 7 of 50-100 and I catch a pretty good share of things that hit the theaters. Anyone here see even 15 of them?

What is this weird tradition of spoilering the list? I don't get it.

Also - while I love the AV Club, they're way more of a go-to for TV criticism than films, anymore. As someone already pointed out - the good stuff picked up and bailed to the Dissolve and other outlets awhile ago.

some great film writers have filled in--Vishnevitsky most notably, he's fantastic.

The Dissolve's best of the decade list kinda sucked. Pretty populist, no curveball choices.

Rembrandt

Banned
True indeed.

And you reminded me - Llewyn Davis is more than likely going to show up in that top 20, too.

I'd be REALLY happy to see Attack the Block show up in the top 50. That'd be fun.

Can't imagine it wouldn't. Probably top 20.

Would be so nice to see that and spring breakers crack through.

I'm not confident there are 64 movies better than The Turin Horse period, let alone in the last five years. Though given the excellent Winter Sleep is on the list, that hopefully means that one of the legitimate contenders, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, will at least make the top half.

Honestly, though, lists like this are as clickbaity as most of the other things I rage against, even if my love of film prevents me from raging against them like I do those other things. Imagine the bad, now-obscure works that would have been on a "best movies of the decade (so far)" list in 1955.

That movie seemed like it was made by a nut. It was 2 hours of insane ramblings interrupted by households pets and disturbances unedited and left in the dub.

I can't believe this film made a top 100 list.

It's not a particularly good movie, but it's not really a defense or glorification of the nuts it depicts. The editing IS cheap, though. It kinda works to undercut any kind of authority the disembodiedness of their voice might create in the audience's mind, but it was mostly just lazy and does far more to make the whole thing look amateurish. It wouldn't matter a bit if it were a movie made by a Youtuber, but for something released in theaters, it was an odd choice to leave it in, especially given how cheap the editing of the footage from The Shining ALSO was.

Also, Gravity is a fucking joke of a movie. Laughably bad on almost every level, even setting aside the scientific inaccuracies.

Gravity is bad on every level now? Dat GAF hyperbole.

Atrocious characterization, bad acting, tin-eared dialogue, a narrative that made no sense even in continuity, laughably bad attempts at visual symbolism, cinematography and sound design with all the subtlety of a student film. Other than maybe good visual effects (a plaudit with a shelf life of a few years, at most), I can't really think of any way in which the film was anything other than pandering, lowest common denominator crap. At least movies like Dredd and Fast Six embrace what they are, rather than trying to make something deep out of a bad summer blockbuster plot.

Atrocious characterization, bad acting, tin-eared dialogue, a narrative that made no sense even in continuity, laughably bad attempts at visual symbolism, cinematography and sound design with all the subtlety of a student film. Other than maybe good visual effects (a plaudit with a shelf life of a few years, at most), I can't really think of any way in which the film was anything other than pandering, lowest common denominator crap. At least movies like Dredd and Fast Six embrace what they are, rather than trying to make something deep out of a bad summer blockbuster plot.
Cinematography and sound design with the subtely of a student film. You mentioned this separately from the film's bad attempts at visual symbolism. Put the pipe down, snowy.

Don't get me wrong, Gravity has a lot of problems, but laughably bad on every level and comparable with a student film?

Cinematography and sound design with the subtely of a student film. You mentioned this separately from the film's bad attempts at visual symbolism. Put the pipe down, snowy.

I saw almost every moment in the film coming a mile away - audiovisually, not just narratively. I didn't say it was as amateurish as a student film, in terms of the technical side, I said it was as unsubtle as a student film, i.e. it rubs in the viewer's face EXACTLY what they're supposed to take away from every single moment. Yes, this is a separate problem from laughable visual symbolism, in which the momentum of a narrative is halted entirely to visually communicate to the viewer an angle of the story that is either dumb or obvious. It is possible for a movie to contain such things and also be well-shot, but Gravity is the epitome of something that is technically unimpeachable while being simultaneously atrocious, artistically, i.e. in terms of what is actually communicated to the percipient.

amaretto

I'd actually rank Black Swan, BITWC, Gravity, and Oslo in about the top 20.

Hopefully if DOR has to appear on this list it isn't for AH over The Fighter or SLP. Same goes for Linklater and Boyhood over Before Midnight.

Don't get me wrong, Gravity has a lot of problems, but laughably bad on every level and comparable with a student film?

yeah...

I doubt anyone has made a student film of that caliber.

Ever

I saw almost every moment in the film coming a mile away - audiovisually, not just narratively. I didn't say it was as amateurish as a student film, in terms of the technical side, I said it was as unsubtle as a student film, i.e. it rubs in the viewer's face EXACTLY what they're supposed to take away from every single moment. Yes, this is a separate problem from laughable visual symbolism, in which the momentum of a narrative is halted entirely to visually communicate to the viewer an angle of the story that is either dumb or obvious. It is possible for a movie to contain such things and also be well-shot, but Gravity is the epitome of something that is technically unimpeachable while being simultaneously atrocious, artistically, i.e. in terms of what is actually communicated to the percipient.

I'm with you on Gravity being symbolically cheap and telegraphed to hell and back narratively. The film was a rollercoaster that stopped unnecessarily far too often to try and inject meaning into the events. But you're right in saying it was technically unimpeachable. It's for this reason that I also can't fault the sound design - or the cinematography. On both fronts, the designers knew the film was a rollercoaster and played to that. They weren't trying to be subtle. To say that the film was artistically hollow is completely fair. To say that it's laughably bad on every level is the kind of dumb comment that I find ridiculous, which is what I was responding to.

I'm with you on Gravity being symbolically cheap and telegraphed to hell and back narratively. The film was a rollercoaster that stopped unnecessarily far too often to try and inject meaning into the events. But you're right in saying it was technically unimpeachable. It's for this reason that I also can't fault the sound design - or the cinematography. On both fronts, the designers knew the film was a rollercoaster and played to that. They weren't trying to be subtle. To say that the film was artistically hollow is completely fair. To say that it's laughably bad on every level is the kind of dumb comment that I find ridiculous, which is what I was responding to.

Playing to crap is still crap. There's not technically anything wrong with the angles or the lighting, but the whole thing looks and sounds like a video game. Perhaps you come at it from a different angle, being a part of the film industry and seeing how the sausage is made and wanting to respect the artists and craftsmen who did what they were asked, and I do get and respect that, but in terms of the final product, which is where I'm coming from as a critic, what we got was a film that embodied a lowest common denominator ethos on pretty much every level, audiovisual included.

Toothless

I'm studying film and let me tell you, if a student film had 1% of Gravity's quality, it'd instantly be the best in any of my classes.

faridmon

I hated Haywire. Poor acting, really appalling writing and story that went in circles until the anti-climatic ending. The only good thing I remember was the fantastic sound design and the beautiful cinematography some of the scenes had. Oh and the fighting choreography was innovative, but overall, it was a meh experience.

That is a good way to disfigure a list of top movies.

big ander

I don't love Haywire but are y'all really this shocked at it being on a list? It was well received and Soderbergh's long been a personal favorite of many.
Haywire is the hottest garbage
But no one wants to admit that sodorburg sucks I guess
I did forget that all those people are lying about liking Soderbergh, true

Dalek

Social Network #1? LOL.

That being said-I can't think of what would possibly be top. Social Network and Gravity are both well made boring films by talented filmmakers who have made vastly superior films.

I am impressed at Edge of Tommorow being on the list. I was never more happy to eat crow after watching that movie.

Toy Story 3 at 88 though? Oy vey

mellz

Social Network #1? LOL.

That being said-I can't think of what would possibly be top. Social Network and Gravity are both well made boring films by talented filmmakers who have made vastly superior films.

I am impressed at Edge of Tommorow being on the list. I was never more happy to eat crow after watching that movie.

david fincher is the most overrated director... OF ALL TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom