• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Club - The 100 best films of the decade (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty surpassing picks, especially some overtaking others that I've seen as ones I wouldn't consider a top spotter. The Grey, especially.

Read the first few pages- surprised at the love for The Social Network (Top 3 Movie of all time for me) - and then brought back down by some of the hate in the last few pages.

My favorite movies from 2010 to now are:

The Imposter
The Town
Tangled
Interstellar
Drive
Inception
Django
Gone Girl
Her
The Social Network

spekkeh

Banned
Atrocious characterization, bad acting, tin-eared dialogue, a narrative that made no sense even in continuity, laughably bad attempts at visual symbolism, cinematography and sound design with all the subtlety of a student film. Other than maybe good visual effects (a plaudit with a shelf life of a few years, at most), I can't really think of any way in which the film was anything other than pandering, lowest common denominator crap. At least movies like Dredd and Fast Six embrace what they are, rather than trying to make something deep out of a bad summer blockbuster plot.
Ahahaha I don't ahahaha

Dat Academy eh, bunch of students. It has three layers of rhetoric, being disaster blockbuster, gestalt character study and 2001-inspired evolution of the space human all in one with impeccable directing and a long overdue Oscar for Cuaron. It should be on top of any decade list precisely because it subverts blockbusters while you can still enjoy it on the blockbuster level.

99% of the complainers don't even get the symbolism but luckily you saw right through it.

50-21 According to A.V. Club

50. Amer
49. House of Pleasures
48.The World's End
47 We Are the Best!
46. A Touch of Sin
45. Upstream Color
44. Stranger by the Lake
43. Computer Chess
42. The Loneliest Planet
41. The Wolf of Wall Street
40. Gone Girl
39. Force Majeure
38. Bernie
37. Magic Mike
36. 13 Assassins
35. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
34. The Grey
33. Amour
32. Martha Marcy May Marlene
31. Take Shelter
30. Inception
29. Leviathan
28. 12 Years a Slave
27. Melancholia
26. Drive
25. The Immigrant
24. Zero Dark Thirty
23. Moonrise Kingdom
22. Everyone Else
21. Meek's Cutoff

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Meek's Cutoff at 21? I'd call it an interesting rambling failure, not one of the best films of the decade. Tommy Lee Jones' The Homesman is very similar but succeeds at what Meek's Cutoff fails to do.

Scroll past Amour to see Inception and Take Shelter higher on the list. No. I like those movies, but no.

Edit: Oh god, not Melancholia too.

My final edit: Big Wes Anderson fan. Moonrise Kingdom ain't that great.

Scroll past Amour to see Inception and Take Shelter higher on the list. No. I like those movies, but no.

Edit: Oh god, not Melancholia too.
Melancholia > Amour.

Holy fuck was Amour disappointing as hell, especially given Haneke's previous catalogue. Don't know what made everybody suddenly latch onto that film.

Peru

Meek's Cutoff at 21? I'd call it an interesting rambling failure, not one of the best films of the decade. Tommy Lee Jones' The Homesman is very similar but succeeds at what Meek's Cutoff fails to do.

Nah it's pretty great but one of my top 10s of the 00s above it would be Wendy and Lucy, a perfect film by the same Reichardt.

I bet the top 20 will have:

The Master (I know it will, but I hope it doesn't - this movie is only famous because it's made by PTA imo)
The Social Network
Inside Llewyn Davis
Birdman
Boyhood
Her
Ida
The Artist
A Seperation
Whiplash
The Grand Budapest Hote

(maybe) Spring Breakers

way more

857711311855910829.jpg

A hated GAF movie that I'm glad to see on the good list.

It's gross how the fanboys that live on the site judge movies based on trailers solely. It's a nice fuck you.

spekkeh

Banned
I bet the top 20 will have:

The Master (I know it will, but I hope it doesn't - this movie is only famous because it's made by PTA imo)
The Social Network
Inside Llewyn Davis
Birdman
Boyhood
Her
Ida
The Artist
A Seperation
Whiplash
The Grand Budapest Hote

(maybe) Spring Breakers
I agree with this, also with your appraisal of The Master. Given that Skyfall inexplicably made the list I expect No Country for Old Men (possibly at the cost of Inside..), and Magic Mike's high placing would pave the way for either the Hangover or Borat. I also expect Dallas Buyers Club.

But I would respect them more if they included Spring Breakers.

Rembrandt

Banned
50-21 According to A.V. Club

50. Amer
49. House of Pleasures
48.The World's End
47 We Are the Best!
46. A Touch of Sin
45. Upstream Color
44. Stranger by the Lake
43. Computer Chess
42. The Loneliest Planet
41. The Wolf of Wall Street
40. Gone Girl
39. Force Majeure
38. Bernie
37. Magic Mike
36. 13 Assassins
35. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
34. The Grey
33. Amour
32. Martha Marcy May Marlene
31. Take Shelter
30. Inception
29. Leviathan
28. 12 Years a Slave
27. Melancholia
26. Drive
25. The Immigrant
24. Zero Dark Thirty
23. Moonrise Kingdom
22. Everyone Else
21. Meek's Cutoff

yeah, her, before midnight, and boyhood are definitely top 10. Spring Breakers might surprise me and crack top 10. I think wolf of wall street should be top 20, imo.

Needs more Repo Men.

Was incredibly hyped for this but it disappeared when it released. was it any good?

Strax

Melancholia > Amour.

Holy fuck was Amour disappointing as hell, especially given Haneke's previous catalogue. Don't know what made everybody suddenly latch onto that film.

Well since Haneke stole the entire thing from another filmmaker its not shocking it feels disappointing, he didn't understand the core of the story.

Do I have to feel bad about the fact that I don't even know half of the movies listed? Not only not seen them, but never heard about em?
Can some of the GAF film buff regulars reassure me that some of those are really obscure movies no one has seen?

Real Hero

DerZuhälter;159295060 said:
Do I have to feel bad about the fact that I don't even know half of the movies listed? Not only not seen them, but never heard about em?
Can some of the GAF film buff regulars reassure me that some of those are really obscure movies no one has seen?
Most of them seem pretty well known.

Ahahaha I don't ahahaha

Dat Academy eh, bunch of students. It has three layers of rhetoric, being disaster blockbuster, gestalt character study and 2001-inspired evolution of the space human all in one with impeccable directing and a long overdue Oscar for Cuaron. It should be on top of any decade list precisely because it subverts blockbusters while you can still enjoy it on the blockbuster level.

99% of the complainers don't even get the symbolism but luckily you saw right through it.

The Academy has one of the worst track records for recognizing quality of any film organization.

i'm surprised you liked 12 years a slave, or at least enough to care where it places on that list. knowing your tastes i would have hoped you would have seen what a cynical affair that movie was.

12 Years a Slave is a GREAT work of art about the nature of power in a man's life. Great writing, acting, cinematography, and editing, no way it's not at LEAST top 10.

I also am sure that the almost flawless Shame won't be in the top 20, which is ridiculous, as it's an easy top five.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
12 Years a Slave is a GREAT work of art about the nature of power in a man's life. Great writing, acting, cinematography, and editing, no way it's not at LEAST top 10.

12 years a slave is a great work to demonstrate how a by-the-numbers hollywood production featuring white canadian jesus brad pitt can have power by simply being based on reality. unlike something like schindler's list, the movie never does anything to rise above its origins. 12 years a slave is a competent movie but an empty one.

12 years a slave is a great work to demonstrate how a by-the-numbers hollywood production featuring white canadian jesus brad pitt can have power by simply being based on reality. unlike something like schindler's list, the movie never does anything to rise above its origins. 12 years a slave is a competent movie but an empty one.

Never shall ye see me defend white Jesus Brad Pitt, my brother.

way more

Uh, Isn't AVclub the website that gave Uncharted 3 a 8.9 purely as a click bait measure? And now we trust them?

Sorry, give a Sony AAA game less than a 9/10 shame on me. Give it a 8.9 rating shame on you for making me write about it all over my blog.

Erevador

I am one of the two people who actually saw Meek's Cutoff in the theater. As someone who loves weird westerns, I have to say... it is a horrible movie with no redeeming qualities. Number 21?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom