• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Club - The 100 best films of the decade (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal9001

Banned
All I know is my top 3 (English Language films at least) so far are:

3. Drive

2. The Social Network

1. The Tree of Life

I am fine with The Master being #1. It is the very definition of a confounding movie; it was simultaneously difficult and infinitely intriguing to watch.

I think my top 5 so far for this decade is pretty straightforward: Her, Social Network, The Master, Whiplash, and Grand Budapest Hotel. My next 5-10 movies on that list would be much harder to work out for me.

Speevy

Banned
Boyhood as a top 10 movie? I don't understand the obsession with that snoozefest.

It took Richard Linklater 12 years to make. The boy aged. No one has ever aged before. He grew up and experienced things that people who get older experience. They filmed all this. 12 years.

Kevtones

Boyhood as a top 10 movie? I don't understand the obsession with that snoozefest.

Boyhood is a 3-hour movie that treads the line of being boring for 3-hours but never is. Boyhood.

Remember the scene where the younger sister woke up Mason from sleep to dance Britney Spears? I didn't, until I remembered. Mason lives, yo.

Ashhong

It took Richard Linklater 12 years to make. The boy aged. No one has ever aged before. He grew up and experienced things that people who get older experience. They filmed all this. 12 years.

It's late and I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I hope it is lol. I don't care how long it took to make, that movie was boring as hell. And the boy was a terrible actor once he got into high school or so.

Gintamen

It's late and I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I hope it is lol. I don't care how long it took to make, that movie was boring as hell. And the boy was a terrible actor once he got into high school or so.
Wasn't even that bad, if it wasn't for those horrible, unbelieavable last five minutes.

Speevy

Banned

It is late.

yuraya

Missing a lot tbqh

Oblivion (better than Edge of Tomorrow and Ghost protocol)
American Sniper
Interstellar
TDKR
GOTG
American Hustle

I'm not saying these are the greatest movies ever or anything but they should be in top 100 from past 5 years. Also Master was a good film but not #1 worthy lol. Whiplash and Her are way too low should be in top 10.

All in all a terrible list from AV Club.

Sigh. I'm just going to juxtapose these two statements so that the hypocrisy of crying "trolling" at someone's sincere expression of a subjective opinion in order to try and shut down conversation while later proclaiming the subjectivity of opinions becomes clear.

I thought it was pretty obvious I was kidding both times. Lighten up maybe? Snowman at least got a chuckle out of it.

overcast

You found it to be a snoozefest, I was shockingly captivated considering the length of the movie.
This fake criticism is tired. I feel like the movie received a lot of attention because of the technical aspect. That alone is interesting and kind of impressive. The movie though, stands on its own as an effective and ultimately humble/evocative tale of growing up.

raindoc

For the last couple of days I kept coming across "The Master" - and now this! I never even heard of it before!
Guess I should give it a try.

I like how Holy Motors is probably the only french movie they seen so it has to been there.

Also the inclusion of Mysteries of Lisbon is so funny (for all the bad reasons).

The only redeeming quality of this list is Haywire , which is a great movie !

...decade is 2010 to 2019

Actually it isn't. A decade is a 10 year period. If a list is made today about this decade , its between 2006-2015.

i don't even remember that shit lol. still i recall really enjoying the fight she has in the hotel with fassbender.

that is really the only thing i remember about the movie, too.

anyway, very happy to see the master at number one. wouldn't put it there myself but it's a neat little middle finger to its detractors. fucking awesome movie

BOYHOOD? NO BIRDMAN? HAHAHA

also great

Dalek

I like how Holy Motors is probably the only french movie they seen so it has to been there.

Also the inclusion of Mysteries of Lisbon is so funny (for all the bad reasons).

The only redeeming quality of this list is Haywire , which is a great movie !

Actually it isn't. A decade is a 10 year period. If a list is made today about this decade , its between 2006-2015.

Good grief this again? They are rating the top 100 movies of THIS decade so far. Not the 80s. Not the 90s. Not the 00's. THIS DECADE.

Good grief this again? They are rating the top 100 movies of THIS decade so far. Not the 80s. Not the 90s. Not the 00's. THIS DECADE.

I know what they are doing. I'm just saying that This decade is 2006-2015. A decade is a 10 year interval. Nothing more.

Making a list about a period which hasn't happened is stupid.

The Tree of Life in the top 5, called it, and well deserved. The list is filled with great films, and putting Scott Pilgrim in the top 20 is on point.

Rembrandt

Banned
Do a list of the 2020-2030. I'm curious.

doesn't even make sense.

it's a list that even has so far in it listing the movies from 2010-2015, using decade as a reference for time because saying "the best movies of the past 5 years" isn't as effective. let's not pretend these types of list are new or even confusing.

you're complicating something really simple.

I think I could agree with The Master being number one.

Amazing film.

Indeed, also some of the best cinematography I've ever seen. The way they captured the "look" of that period, especially during the portraiture shots in the department store, just incredible. After seeing Going Clear I have a hankering for a rewatch.

Can we all at least agree that A Separation is rightfully in the top 5?

--

Funny anecdote about The Master. I recommended the film to my mother and she spent a week or so trying to find it (turns out it was still to early and the blu-ray wasn't out), but after she watched it, she was convinced that it was the Church of Scientology the one ones behind it. Trying to stop people from watching it because of the depiction of the cult in it.

spekkeh

Banned
Indeed, also some of the best cinematography I've ever seen. The way they captured the "look" of that period, especially during the portraiture shots in the department store, just incredible. After seeing Going Clear I have a hankering for a rewatch.

Yes the movie would've worked really well as a static image.

And lose none of its plot.

doesn't even make sense.

it's a list that even has so far in it listing the movies from 2010-2015, using decade as a reference for time because saying "the best movies of the past 5 years" isn't as effective. let's not pretend these types of list are new or even confusing.

you're complicating something really simple.

Off course it doesn't makes sense. That's why i said it is stupid.

Or do one between 2014-2023.

I'm not complicating something simple. They are. Arbitrarily making a list of the past 5 years is as good as 4 , 6 , or 9. It's a metric as any other. It's not a decade.

Rembrandt

Banned
Off course it doesn't makes sense. That's why i said it is stupid.

Or do one between 2014-2023.

I'm not complicating something simple. They are. Arbitrarily making a list of the past 5 years is as good as 4 , 6 , or 9. It's a metric as any other.

No, you're being stupid and it's too late for me to get roped into this conversation when you're being difficult for the fun of it. They have "So far" in the title; what if it's periodically updated through the rest of the decade? Would that satisfy you?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I'm surprised Frances Ha was that high, but it is nice to see it represented. Hopefully it will make more people view it.

No, you're being stupid and it's too late for me to get roped into this conversation when you're being difficult for the fun of it. They have "So far" in the title; what if it's periodically updated through the rest of the decade? Would that satisfy you?

Ahah ...no need for name call :)

Av Club should release the TOP 20 of the year today. You might find it compelling i would find it stupid.

Blader

Much like how some seem confounded by the love for Boyhood or Tree of Life, I'll never understand what people see in Frances Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom