• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Club - The 100 best films of the decade (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
I enjoyed Martha Marcy May Marlene a lot. But I don't really get its elevation to cult greatness.

hm. I mean whether the blockbusters are "middling" is your call, but you do know that cinephile culture doesn't reject blockbusters, yeah? In fact anybody nowadays who does that is pretty much laughed out of the room.

and the list wasn't made by one somebody, it was made by multiple writers who disagree. I'm sure Vishnevitsky and Mike D'Angelo have lists out there you can check out if you want a "purer" idea of what one single person likes. But the idea of a list like this is to reflect the tastes of a small collective. I don't see how having blockbusters on it delegitimizes the entire list when there are guaranteed to already be entries on that site and in other places with writing from those critics on why they loved something.

I'm aware cinephiles don't reject blockbusters. I like blockbusters! They mostly dissapoint me these days, but they're just as valid as any other movie. Skyfall was an enjoyable film, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was lots of fun. I just thought the ordering of the list was pretty weird and unexpected though, especially coming from the AV Club. I was pretty kneejerk with my reaction to it, but that's half the fun of "best" of anything lists, right?

Window

When looking at lists like these which cover specific time periods, there is a tendency to try and find commonalities among them in terms of aesthetics/subject matter that defines the identity of that period. I'm curious what people see here from this list (I haven't seen enough to make any worthwhile observations), or if it's just a futile exercise in general.

Floridian

Is there something about Magic Mike and Gone Girl in particular that I missed which explains why it makes sense to compare these two random-ass movies against each other? I...I don't get it.

40. Gone Girl
37. Magic Mike

I disagree with their placement because I think Gone Girl was an exceptional film while Magic Mike was okay and wasn't worthy of being in the top 50 placement. That's pretty much all as to what I was saying.

rude

Banned
Magic Mike might be Soderbergh's worst.

wait i forgot about contagion and the informant and erin brokovich
40. Gone Girl
37. Magic Mike

I disagree with their placement because I think Gone Girl was an exceptional film while Magic Mike was okay and wasn't worthy of being in the top 50 placement. That's pretty much all as to what I was saying.
Exceptional how? Movie is quite shit imo

inm8num2

I'm just happy to see A Field in England get a mention. Ben Wheatley might be the most fascinating director of the past few years (Kill List, Sightseers).

Magic Mike might be Soderbergh's worst.

wait i forgot about contagion and the informant and erin brokovich

Exceptional how? Movie is quite shit imo

Gone Girl? Quite shit?

Just the fact that it's a Fincher movie eliminates the possibility of it being "quite shit" in at least the Cinematography/ Editing/ and Sound. If you didn't like the plot or the characters that's fine, but it's a very well made movie. It's really the only movie in recent memory where the whole theater stayed glued to their chairs in shock almost a minute after the credits started rolling.

It's definitely my favorite Hollywood release of 2014 along with Whiplash.

rude

Banned
Just the fact that it's a Fincher movie eliminates the possibility of it being "quite shit" in at least the Cinematography/ Editing/ and Sound.
I don't disagree with that; I even praised that absolutely abysmal TSN earlier in the thread for being a technical marvel. Those things alone don't make Gone Girl any more exciting imo. I think it's pretty awful.

Dalek

I don't disagree with that; I even praised that absolutely abysmal TSN earlier in the thread for being a technical marvel. Those things alone don't make Gone Girl any more exciting imo. I think it's pretty awful.

There's a certain sect on Neogaf that feel those things make or break a movie. I'm more in your camp. It can have all the polish and shine possible, but if it's boring and dull-there's no fixing that.

Rembrandt

Banned
#20-1

Don't know if it was posted yet:
20. Certified Copy
19. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
18. Winter's Bone
17. Whiplash
16. Two Days, One Night
15. Inside Llewyn Davis
14. Her
13. Holy Motors
12. Margaret
11. The Grand Budapest Hotel
10. Before Midnight
9. The Social Network
8. Under The Skin
7. Dogtooth
6. Boyhood
5. The Act of Killing
4. Frances Ha
3. The Tree Of Life
2. A Separation
1. The Master

Shocked at the top 3, tbh. Also shocked/glad to see Scott Pilgrim on there.

Speevy

Banned
The Master is amazing. I can't really fault them there. This half decade is pretty lackluster compared to 2000-2005, tbh.

Moppeh

Banned
Pretty good top 20. Lots of my favorites are on there, so I'm definitely going to dig it.

The Master at 1 is a bit surprising, though. Great film, but I'd probably only put it at 5 at most on my personal list.

Violet_0

Banned
I have no idea why Scott Pilgrim or Winter's Bone are in the top 20 but I guess my list would look a little different

Speevy

Banned
I'm sure film historians will be talking about Michael Cera's brilliant portrayal of Scott Pilgrim for decades to come.

Toxi

Banned
Room 237 is just... How? How did someone think it was good, let alone one of the best movies of the decade?

20. Certified Copy
19. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
18. Winter's Bone
17. Whiplash
16. Two Days, One Night
15. Inside Llewyn Davis
14. Her
13. Holy Motors
12. Margaret
11. The Grand Budapest Hotel
10. Before Midnight
9. The Social Network
8. Under The Skin
7. Dogtooth
6. Boyhood
5. The Act of Killing
4. Frances Ha
3. The Tree Of Life
2. A Separation
1. The Master

I had to dress my plaid shirt.

. 1 & 2 were so much better. This was not needed and was not good at all.my kid hates it. he loves 1 and 2.

you ans your kid have poor taste. let me guess, you both love frozen. 3 was a great movie, better than the first 2. had a sense of loss, sadness, a cloud over the head, but also mixed with slapstick and witty comedy and adventure. each toy also had a more equal amount of screen time vs first 2 which heavily favoured woody and buzz.

Kevtones

I was stoked to see The Grey @ 34. Then I saw Inception @ 30.

List gun' list.

Really though, who cares? At worst, I'll find movies I should probably watch from this thread.

I would've put 6,9,17 as 123 but whatever. Love this list for its realm of opinion.

Pryce

On one hand, I completely agree with The Master being #1.

On the other, I could agree with someone leaving it off completely.

EDIT: WAIT lmao Under The Skin in the top 10? Shit list.

attack the block and maybe scott pilgrim would make my list too, pretty cool list. loved social network and tree of life as well. and for being so late in their career inside llewyn davis might just be the GOAT coen bros movie

don't get the love for frances ha though, or any baumbach film really.

Speevy

Banned
I'm sure that's the criteria for AV Club's top 100 films of the decade (so far).

I'm actually not criticizing their list. It includes a lot of great films. The question is whether that was really worth adding to the list.

I mean, surely there was some foreign film that missed the cut because of Scott Pilgrim.

overcast

is frances ha actually good? isas gonns watch it, but eople seem to think it was pretentious artsy fartsy bull crap.
Definitely not pretentious. Pretty fun flick. Wouldn't say it's top 20 of the decade so far, but it's a good Woody Allen lite movie. Kind of sounds like a backhanded compliment there.
I'm actually not criticizing their list. It includes a lot of great films. The question is whether that was really worth adding to the list.

I mean, surely there was some foreign film that missed the cut because of Scott Pilgrim.
I would say it belongs and there are other movies that don't, but ultimately it's just one movie on one list.

Rembrandt

Banned

I think it deserves its place. Scott Pilgrim is incredible.

Meowster

The Master? That was terrible. It was only good because of how extraordinary Joaquin Phoenix is and how good Phillip Seymour Hoffman was. The Tree of Life should have definitely won. Aside from that though, pretty solid top twenty.

injurai

Banned
...decade is 2010 to 2019

if a nolan film must be on there though it should definitely be interstellar instead of inception.

People can say what they will, but Interstellar was great. At least deserves the top 100 imo. Overall this list feels really odd to me. But it's also too odd for me to call foul on like I could do with an IGN list.

Speevy

Banned
The Master had terrific acting, amazing shots, great period detail. Whether you personally liked its bizarre story, it's a technical achievement that can be backed up with evidence. Same with Tree of Life.

Stoze

Lot of stuff I disagree with on there, but a lot of stuff I haven't seen as well. I think Upstream Color and Skyfall only got on here because of cinematography, because my god are they both fucking boring.

Whiplash and Social Network would probably be in my personal top 5.

Ashhong

I thought the Dissolve's list (which is basically AV Club pre-talent exodus), especially as it got to the top 10 or so choices, was very good.

Boyhood, Her, The Social Network, Inside Llewyn Davis, a few others I'm forgetting

Boyhood as a top 10 movie? I don't understand the obsession with that snoozefest.

Of all movies Skyfall is there but not Prestige.

Came out in 2006...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom