• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Disney Infinity, now owned by Warner) hiring for.. a UE4 Harry Potter RPG?

Pretty excited about this, honestly. I like that universe a whole lot. I hope they get to go nuts with it all and aren't stuck retreading the plot of the books, or having you play as Dumbledore or anything.

Give me that Harry Potter MMO set in real time, with houses, quidditch and classes and the like. Every year counts as a school year. Let's go.
persona+harry potter: make your life in hogwarts for 5 years of study! make every day of your life count!
increase your social links with the main characters of the story featuring:
Albus Dumbledore [Emperor]: headmaster, will increase your patience every time you have to listen to him
Ermione Granger[The Lovers]: fellow student, will try to make your head spin, but will not choose you in the end
Hagrid [Hierophant]: animal caretaker, will increase your empathy with animals, to increase your chance to pick up reagents in the forest without being bothered by animals
luna lovegood [the devil]: journalist, will spread news about your action in the school to increase your general popularity
Snape[HangedMan]: teacher, spending time with him will raise your guts... will be able to start his social link when your guts level is "zomfg that's some balls there!"
Oliver Wood [The strenght]: quiddith captain, every day you spend with him you will learn to be wiser, in order not to be forgotten just after the first film!
ronald weasley[Magician]: fellow student, you will become more gentle when spending time with him, but you'll be more of a weasley and be a worse mage than you were.. sorry bro..
Wesley Duo[The fool]: troublemakers, you will increae your proficiency by spending time with them, and learn how to trick your teacher and friends..
Ginny Weasley[Priestess]: under-student, you will become smarted by spending times with her, as you will have to avoid being discovered by her brothers that hang around!
Minerva McGonagall[Empress]: teacher, you will become more understanding of the difficulty of life.. she became old but nobody remembers any of her feat whereas all the good words are for dumbledore...
Lupin[Moon]: teacher available only after the second year, by spending time with him you will become more understanding towards those different from you... he will slowly confide in you until you learn that he actually would have banged your mom when young...
Sirius Black [Justice]: god-father, available only for limited time.. by spending time conversing remotely with him, you will discover secrets of your past while trying to clear his name
Slughorn[Hermit]: teacher, available only for limited time.. by spending time with him, you will become more knowledgeable about magic and magic taboos.. Also you'll learn how he started a collection to compensate for his sense of inferiority towards dumbledore, infact for a mage so brilliant, no one talks about his achievement save himself for various book!
Sybill Trelawney[Fortune]: teacher//fortune-teller... by spending time with her you will be able to influence your day to day life and obtain a better reaction by your peer.. when her prediction actually make sense..
Harry Potter// Your Own memory[Death]: through your dream and mental link, revive your own past and uncover your own mistery: how did you survive!
Gilderoy Lockhart[Chariot]: teacher, limited availability.. by spending time with him , you will learn how to bluff like a pro.. and you will also slowly discover all his teatrics and how to make yourself a better mage than you will ever be (that's exactly what you need Potter!)

weellll I'm sure I must have forgotten someone, but there you have it..
Shin Megami Potter: Be Your True (Failure of A) Mage!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So to note, I suspect the people saying Fantastic Beasts instead of a school RPG are probably correct.

Like would an open world school RPG even fit? I guess it's not impossible.

Vinc

So to note, I suspect the people saying Fantastic Beasts instead of a school RPG are probably correct.

Awww....

Still in, but I'd be disappointed. I've been dreaming of a good HP game for years.

Oh, man, the dreams of having a full fledged HP RPG with skills, gear, character creation, complex combat mechanics...
Pipe dream, most likely, but would I love that.

Fou-Lu

I mean Bully meets Persona in the Wizarding World sounds like a dream to me.

I will lose my fucking mind. I've been dying for a Harry Potter RPG. Avalanche, please.

*EDIT*

Wait, did the project change? Summary of position has been updated for both Senior Environment Artist and Lead Animator roles. Disappointed if it did.

Avalanche Software was acquired by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment from Disney in 2016. The studio's first title under WBIE will be a companion video game to the upcoming Cars 3, in partnership with Warner Bros., Disney, and Pixar.

http://www.warnerbroscareers.com/search-jobs/?157376BR

Shikoba

Hmmmm not a lot there to suggest it's HP. I mean, I'd love that, it's a game I've always wanted, but it's pretty vague outside of "British."

I will lose my fucking mind. I've been dying for a Harry Potter RPG. Avalanche, please.

*EDIT*

Wait, did the project change? Summary of position has been updated for both Senior Environment Artist and Lead Animator roles. Disappointed if it did.

Nah, they've been working on that since before this news broke. I'd assume The Harry Potter RPG would be a larger-scale project that will hit full production once this is out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

*EDIT*

That was most likely an in development game they had made when they were still under Disney, given it's on their old engine and coming out so shortly after they were purchased.

These job postings are for the first game they started under Warner Bros.

Auctopus

Just spent about 10 minutes reading through WB IPs and that "British Authenticity" note really throws me for a loop. Harry Potter really is the only one that makes sense.

I wonder if it'll be an RPG set in the wider world ala Fantastic Beasts (obviously with Hogwarts included).

Nah, they've been working on that since before this news broke. I'd assume The Harry Potter RPG would be a larger-scale project that will hit full production once this is out.

That was most likely an in development game they had made when they were still under Disney, given it's on their old engine and coming out so shortly after they were purchased.

These job postings are for the first game they started under Warner Bros.

Ah ok, awesome! Thanks for clarifying.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
For those with a better understanding of how the game industry works, when would we expect to hear anything about this project?

Not until Fantastic Beasts 2 gets a trailer, at least.

I'm hoping it's about the original Harry Potter series, but now that you mention it, it's probably not.

Top Bottom